The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
An online prorgess journal: Yinn

---

I've been reading several posts in keen interest over the last few months, in particular those who have just begun to get into the gym and building up. Those posts with similar body types to mine, as well as concerns which mirror my own, are very helpful and I'm appreciating the supportive responses they've generated.

I've finally sat myself down seriously to do something I've always wanted but have been hesitant to do properly. After sorting out my personal finances and restructuring my time,
I've finally joined a gym.
I've making a goal to create a routine for myself and am working to make it a personal healthier life habit.

There are things I'm paying attention to such as eating more (but healthily), keeping hydrated (I do love drinking water, and never have liked carbonated drinks), sleeping better and keeping consistent, which are strongly advised.

I visit another gym once a week to get help from another friend who's been very helpful (an old college mate) and have been showing my how to use the weight and good posture when using them.

I'm a little nervous about sharing all this but I know it has a good chance of keeping me motivated if I go thought with this progress thread.
I'm a little shy, but I've taught myself that there's very little I can get done in life if I held myself back so I do what I have to to realize my goals. Building a better body for myself is one.

To help things along:-

I'm aged 30 and 5' 8" (ht) and 140.8 lbs, (wt) last measured.
I've always averaged between the weight of 120 - 130 lbs even throughout school and college, so this is my heaviest weight. I think I have heavy bones because I'm still rather thin/slim.

I eat quite often in a day and in large portions but I've always had a very high metabolism, but I'm hoping it slows down now that I've past my 20s. Its about time I start looking less like a boy and more like a man.

I've been going to the gym for a month now since the beginning of April (4 times a week) and am taking progress shots of myself on my camera phone (which is new!). I want to make this monthly to keep track of my progress and changes.

Is it common to not notice physical changes in the first month as your body adapts to a better diet and workout?

I'm also currently working on my base strength first (with my friend aiding my once a week) so I'll be able to better handle weights (machine and free) and with better form as well.

Some food suggestions I read here help, but certain food stuffs like broccoli (high end) are very expensive here and the local cuisine is quite rich in spices, oil and sauces since I live in a melting pot (food) of several major cultures (Malay, Chinese, Indian).

Things such as pasta can get expensive as well, as I do not earn much - I have decided to save protein shakes, and other dietary supplements for weight gain and muscle mass growths until it is either more affordable and / or I have better finances.

Progress shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_05.jpg

---
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
Congrats on "taking the plunge", Aikuchi! That first step was the hardest. Now it's all downhill. I like your pics. I can see a tiny bit of tightening up. Keep up the great job.
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #3   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikuchi View Post
Is it common to not notice physical changes in the first month as your body adapts to a better diet and workout?
With your body type and metabolism, you'll probably have to eat more than you're doing now. Check out some of the food articles I've linked to on my blog.

IMO, you may want to rethink your stance on the protein shakes primarily for the convenience they provide. At the least, you ought to have something rich in protein after your workout as this will help along any physical changes you're after.

In any case, I echo Donnie's congratulations and look forward to your updates. Good luck and have fun.
  #4   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM

FRNKPBDY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FRNKPBDY
RE: Online progress journal

Yinn:

You do look like the typical ectomorph, but remember, I was there once too, and you've seen what I've been able to accomplish!

I'm giving you a routine I followed when I started. Here goes:

Training

Training can be done 3-5 days a week.

The sessions should be short - anywhere between 30-60 minutes.

It is best to train each body part once a week.

You can benefit the most by using compound exercises such as:

Bench press
Squats
Shoulder press
Rows
Deadlifts

If the volume is increased then it is best to keep the intensity lower. Volume and intensity are inversely related. So just the opposite is true-if the volume is low, then keep the intensity high.

Keep your sets around 5-8 per body part.

Sets should be based on what body part you are working. For the larger muscle groups (legs, back, chest) you can be in the upper set range and for the smaller muscle groups (shoulders, arms) you should be in the lower set range.

Reps can be anywhere between 8-15.

You may find that you gain strength before you gain size-this is normal. As time progresses, your size gains will increase with your strength.

Here are some sample workout routines (order of days can vary):

Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Legs/Shoulders
Day 3: Back/Biceps

Day 1: Chest/Biceps
Day 2: Legs/Shoulders
Day 3: Back/Triceps

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders/Arms

Day 2: Back/Shoulders
Day 4: Arms

Day 2: Back
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Arms

Day 2: Quads/Calves
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Hamstrings/Shoulders
Day 5: Arms

Nutrition

Lean meats/chicken and complex carbohydrates are perfect for anyone. It can be hard to get in the amount of meals a normal bodybuilder/fitness enthusiast has. The norm is anywhere from 5-7 meals a day.

When you snack, think of something as simple as an apple with some peanut butter, or a yogurt with some nuts, or even some raw vegetables.

Below is a list of foods that are great for bodybuilders:

Proteins:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (Salmon, Sea Bass, Halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% Lean Ground Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

Complex Carbs:

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (Pinto, Black, Kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Pasta
Rice (White, Jasmine, Basmati, Arborio, Wild)
Potatoes (Red, Baking, New)

Fibrous Carbs:

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
Spinach
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Celery

Other Produce & Fruits:

Cucumber
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini
Fruit (if acceptable on diet): Bananas, Apples, Grapefruit, Peaches, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries
Lemons or Limes

Healthy Fats:

Natural Style Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Almond Oil, Flaxseed Oil
Nuts (Peanuts, Almonds, Walnut)
Olive, Canola, and Peanut - Monounsaturated Oils
Safflower, Sunflower, Corn, Soybean, and Cottonseed - Polyunsaturated Oils
Leafy Veggies, Seeds, Nuts, Grains - Omega-6
Veggie Oils (Safflower, Sunflower, Corn, Soybean, and Cottonseed), and poultry fat - Omega-6
Oils (Canola, Flaxseed, Soybean, Walnut, Wheat Germ; Canola or Soybean Oil) - Omega-3
Nuts and Seeds (Butternuts, Flaxseeds, Walnuts, Soybeans) - Omega-3
Fatty Coldwater Fish (Mackerel, Salmon, Bluefish, Mullet, Sablefish) - EPA and DHA
More Fish (Menhaden, Anchovy, Herring, Lake Trout, Sardines, Tuna) - EPA and DHA

Dairy & Eggs:

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Milk

Supplementation

Supplementation is no excuse for poor nutrition. That is the first rule that you need to learn about supplements. The second rule is that supplementation isn't for everyone. Supplements work differently for everyone and some people can have great success while others get no results.

The third rule is, when you are just starting out you want to keep everything basic. There is no need to purchase the newest hype out on the market and believe it will take you from skinny to buff or from overweight to six-pack abs.

The only supplements that I recommend:

Multivitamin
Protein Powder
Fish Oil

Before you use any type of supplements, I strongly recommend you run things by your doctor to ensure that you will not have any adverse reactions. Under normal circumstances there shouldn't be any problem with either of these products but it is always best to make sure things are in the clear before you ingest anything.

Some protein powders have a combination of ingredients, which can include nuts, so it is especially important to read label and all of the warnings on the container before you purchase anything.

Multivitamin:

The multivitamin is a great choice for EVERYONE because your body needs the proper vitamins and minerals to function efficiently. Each vitamin and mineral does thousands of biochemical reactions in the body and helps keep hormone levels steady. You can safely take a multivitamin in the morning (which everyone should do regardless if it is a workout day or not) and also one following your workout.

Protein Powder:

Protein powder is a great choice to help increase your daily protein intake. Teens should strive for one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Your best choice for a protein powder is whey. Whey is also a great choice for those just starting out because it is inexpensive and effective.

Majority of the powders on the market have a great nutrition profile and will fill in any gap you are lacking during the day. They can be used as snack or even as meal replacements. However, the main use for the protein powders should be for post workout nutrition. You want to feed your muscles around 40-50 grams of protein after your workout to give them the nutrients they need to repair and grow.

Fish Oil:

Fish oil is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids as well as EFA's (essential fatty acids). A good fish oil should include EPA and DHA. These are the "good fats" that we all need. It also helps improve joint flexibility as well as supporting brain, nerve, and visual function. Fish oil can be found in liquid form (which most people don't like the taste) and also in pill form.

Rest

Rest is actually the portion of training where you make your gains. While training, it may appear as if your muscles are growing, when in actuality, they have a temporary pump where the muscles are engorged with blood that gives them a nice full look. This image disappears a couple hours after the workout has concluded.

You should also try and get anywhere from 8-9 hours of sleep a night. Hormone levels are highest during the night while sleeping so this is prime time to make lean mass gains. Everyone who trains needs some time off to rest. That is why I am not recommending that teens train more than 5 days a week. During the off time is when the body will repair the muscle tissues and grow.

Because you aren't here in the states, some of these things might be hard to find or do, but again, the best rule of thumb is keep things simple and basic.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions! Best of luck and get BIG!

FP
  #5   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Always a fan.

Will post more later but first off - it tickled it me I read this "That is why I am not recommending that teens train more than 5 days a week." ....
I look like a teen at aged 30! .. (hahaha!)

Ok ok .... thanks
---
  #6   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Always a fan.

Response

Hi Frnk,

I?m already dedicated to the gym from 3 ? 4 times a week.

I tend to do a short-run for about 10 ? 15 minutes before each session to get my heart pumping, also because I spend the whole day sitting and I want to jumpstart my session.

I?m uncertain as to how the days are lined up.

Training a body part once a week ? I understand, which means I should rotate and concentrate on different parts of the body throughout the week (i.e. 3 sessions).
Each body part has a set of 5 ? 8
With each rep (in a set) varying between 8 ? 15.

Glad I didn?t get that wrong. I?ve been doing about 3-4 sets per machine, and 2 machines for the same body part. Each rep ranges from 8 ? 12.

Oh wait- as I type this I think I get it.
On my first session for the week, I work on Chest and Triceps
On my second session for the week, I work on Legs / Shoulders
On my third session for the week, I work on Back and Biceps

The following combinations are suggestions to mix things up as I come along?

Should I change it up every week?
Or can I stay consistent for awhile (following the pattern Day 1 ? 3 for about a month first) ?

Ok ? I get it.
Volume verses Intensity;
Weight Increment is inversely proportional to the Number of Repetitions, right?

Thanks for the advice on the muscle groupings.
Larger muscle groups can have more sets at a lower intensity?
And smaller muscle groups can have less sets at a higher intensity, right?

Bench press, Squats, Shoulder press, Rows, Deadlifts
I was thinking of starting these up in about 2 months time when I feel more confident about the weights and with a friend to help me maintain form. Proper form would be better if I could really get my base strength up.

Ok, strength before size.
I got some good reading from the links O?melissokomos provided about expectations and realistic goals. I can?t focus on seeing great gains in size and its discouraging to keep a measure by measure account.

Nutrition

This will be the tricky part because of availability.

I generally try and have breakfast, lunch, a snack between lunch and the gym (after work) and a meal after the gym (lots of chicken!) but no solid foods after 10 ish.
The snacks are normally fruits (chopped, salted and prepared at the hawker stalls) or sandwiches from home (egg / mayo / tuna).

I?m not great with yoghurt, it doesn?t quite agree with me

Almost all asian meals are always served with rice or noodles.

Most of the listed vegetables for Fribous Carbs are expensive (like Asparagus, Cauliflower and Broccoli!) but I think I can find the local equivalents!

The produce and fruits listed are already my favourites! ? except that berries costs a lot here! Yummy cucumbers and Limes! Garlic and Onions!
But with the inclusion of local fruits like Mango, Mangosteen, Papayas and Melons.

I take Multivitamins and Fish Oil every morning.
But I haven?t gone into Protein Powders yet. A friend recommends me taking a cup/mug of it right after a workout.

As for rest - I have to work on that, I?ve always had trouble sleeping (minor insomniac)
My line of work occasionally doesn?t encourage good sleeping hours either. Commercial advertising can be a killer on designer hours but I?ll try.
But I?m pretty sure the work ethic, hours and business work standards are quite different from the West as well but that no excuse, I should say.

But the photos I took in the progress shots are all done in the morning right after I wake up!
I wanted to see the progress the morning after a workout because I know its not entirely accurate to take them right after a workout.

Thanks again!

I appreciate this!
  #7   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Watch Me Grow

Hey A!

Quote:
Hi Frnk,

I?m already dedicated to the gym from 3 ? 4 times a week.

I tend to do a short-run for about 10 ? 15 minutes before each session to get my heart pumping, also because I spend the whole day sitting and I want to jumpstart my session.

That's a good way to warm up and it helps with your cardio routine.

I?m uncertain as to how the days are lined up.

Training a body part once a week ? I understand, which means I should rotate and concentrate on different parts of the body throughout the week (i.e. 3 sessions).
Each body part has a set of 5 ? 8
With each rep (in a set) varying between 8 ? 15.

Glad I didn?t get that wrong. I?ve been doing about 3-4 sets per machine, and 2 machines for the same body part. Each rep ranges from 8 ? 12.

Oh wait- as I type this I think I get it.
On my first session for the week, I work on Chest and Triceps
On my second session for the week, I work on Legs / Shoulders
On my third session for the week, I work on Back and Biceps

Right.

The following combinations are suggestions to mix things up as I come along?

Should I change it up every week?
Or can I stay consistent for awhile (following the pattern Day 1 ? 3 for about a month first) ?

Stick with the routine until your body becomes familiar with it and you are no longer challenged by it. Once you stay with a routine too long, your body will hit a plateau, you'll get bored and you won't be making any gains.

Ok ? I get it.
Volume verses Intensity;
Weight Increment is inversely proportional to the Number of Repetitions, right?

Yes. Start with lighter weights and higer reps. As you become stronger, you can add more weight and perform fewer reps. The biggest key is ALWAYS use proper form!! Don't use a weight that is too heavy and rely on momentum to get the weight up.

Thanks for the advice on the muscle groupings.
Larger muscle groups can have more sets at a lower intensity?
And smaller muscle groups can have less sets at a higher intensity, right?

Yes. Your leg and back muscles are used to doing heavy work, so you can do higher sets of lower weight. Just remember to add weight as you get stronger. You can build smaller muscles--like the forearms--with heavier weights with fewer sets. Just keep changing the routine and the weight.

Bench press, Squats, Shoulder press, Rows, Deadlifts
I was thinking of starting these up in about 2 months time when I feel more confident about the weights and with a friend to help me maintain form. Proper form would be better if I could really get my base strength up.

Ok, strength before size.
I got some good reading from the links O?melissokomos provided about expectations and realistic goals. I can?t focus on seeing great gains in size and its discouraging to keep a measure by measure account.

Nutrition

This will be the tricky part because of availability.

I generally try and have breakfast, lunch, a snack between lunch and the gym (after work) and a meal after the gym (lots of chicken!) but no solid foods after 10 ish.
The snacks are normally fruits (chopped, salted and prepared at the hawker stalls) or sandwiches from home (egg / mayo / tuna).

I?m not great with yoghurt, it doesn?t quite agree with me

Although you may not like it, it contains a huge amount of protein--the building block of muscle.

Almost all asian meals are always served with rice or noodles.

Most of the listed vegetables for Fribous Carbs are expensive (like Asparagus, Cauliflower and Broccoli!) but I think I can find the local equivalents!

The produce and fruits listed are already my favourites! ? except that berries costs a lot here! Yummy cucumbers and Limes! Garlic and Onions!
But with the inclusion of local fruits like Mango, Mangosteen, Papayas and Melons.

I take Multivitamins and Fish Oil every morning.
But I haven?t gone into Protein Powders yet. A friend recommends me taking a cup/mug of it right after a workout.

You can have several shakes throughout the day as either snacks or small meals. As a matter of fact, you'll really want to have several small meals throughout the day--anywhere from 6 to 8 meals/snacks. For breakfast have things like eggs, oatmeal, whole wheat breads, fruit, milk and cottage cheese.

Lunch can be 2-3 cans of tuna, or a turkey sandwich and some salad greens milk and fruit.

Mid afternoon, have another protein shake and some more fruit.

For supper, have some rice, veggies, chicken or beef, milk and more fruit.

Always try to have a shake before or after a workout. Remember all this food is going to be converted to muscle, so you need a lot to build yourself up.

As for rest - I have to work on that, I?ve always had trouble sleeping (minor insomniac)
My line of work occasionally doesn?t encourage good sleeping hours either. Commercial advertising can be a killer on designer hours but I?ll try.
But I?m pretty sure the work ethic, hours and business work standards are quite different from the West as well but that no excuse, I should say.

Sleep is really important, because this is when the muscle fibers you destroy when you're training repair themselves and get bigger. You should try to get at least 7 hours a night

But the photos I took in the progress shots are all done in the morning right after I wake up!
I wanted to see the progress the morning after a workout because I know its not entirely accurate to take them right after a workout.

Thanks again!

I appreciate this!
No problem. Hope this is helpful and I hope you have fun with bbing!

FP

P.S.--sorry about the teen thing in my message.
  #8   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Always a fan.

Questions .... unanswered, gasp!!!

When you have the time, I have a couple of questions.

I know I god one thing mixed up about your notes above.
As I now understand it, it should be
Large muscle groups - lower reps, more sets?
And smaller muscle groups - higher reps, less sets?

Or sort of?

---
  #9   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Questions .... unanswered, gasp!!!

When you have the time, I have a couple of questions.

I know I god one thing mixed up about your notes above.
As I now understand it, it should be
Large muscle groups - lower reps, more sets?
And smaller muscle groups - higher reps, less sets?

Or sort of?

---
Yeah, you got it. Just remember, these are the tips/routines that have worked for me. You might find something else that works better for you. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have or send me a PM with your questions.

FP
  #10   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Always a fan.

---

Progress shots.

Its been 2 months!

- Well - I do feel a change, I know that much for sure although I did wish the camera caught more of the change. (shrugs!)

Starting a new job in a couple of days too.

Going to try more free weights in the following month, because I think my basic strength is somewhat getting there (wherever that is!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_06.jpg

---
  #11   Add to matt.gibson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM

matt.gibson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to matt.gibson
you definitely look thicker bro. keep it up.
  #12   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Always a fan.

---

Thanks! I appreciate it, Matt!

---

To be honest, I'm not liking the progress photos so much
I do feel a lot better about myself and my strength (well sometimes) - but I know looking at myself that I've improved and I'm kind of disappointed I can't seem to capture the progress I see on my phone camera.

There's still a lot more I'm sure I could be doing and eating more is probably one of my major concerns too, and trying to.

But I remind myself, that I'm taking things easy for now - slow ad steady after all.

---
  #13   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Always a fan.

---

Sorry for the late update -
Too the picture / photo on time but never got around to posting it

Not as happy with my progress this month - dont think i pushed myself hard enough.
It may have something to do with other thoughts occupying my mind.

So I've decided I'm not going to be so afraid of the free weights area. - started on those ... uhmm bench presses (in addition to the machines).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_07.jpg

---
  #14   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not liking the progress photos so much [...] I'm kind of disappointed I can't seem to capture the progress I see on my phone camera.
I can totally relate, and I'm already using a digital camera. Also, it's gotten to be a chore taking pics even just once a month, but I've stuck with it since I've seen the benefit of having long-term "documentation".

Quote:
So I've decided I'm not going to be so afraid of the free weights area.
Welcome to our world.
  #15   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Always a fan.

---

Kinda missed on progress photo for August -
but no matter. I got a September one and I ddint stop the gym.

I think I have to be more strict with my diet but I know it'll be hard for the average desk job holder. Not to mention, its now 'fasting' month and delicacies and treats are everywhere for those breaking fast and everyone else who's benefiting from it.
Nonetheless, I've go to try and change to a healthier diet.

On the other hand, I've moved my routine around a bit.
Still religiously making it 3 times a week - hopefully 4 as it approaches the end of the year. And even though I've mentioned how the free weights area isn't so intimidating as of now - I've yet to become totally comfortable,

So its mostly still machine weights - but on Saturdays (less crowded) - I've made that into a free weights day.
I've noticed some results here and there rather quickly though but I hope its not temporary.

On the other ... my shirt s are starting to fit funny.
Its a little weird. One on hand, I know its a good thing because it indicates a change in body dimensions, but on the other hand ... its a little annoying to keep tugging at the parts of the tee shirt that never felt so tight before.

And it starts with small changes, this road I'm on.

---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_09.jpg

---
  #16   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
I've made that into a free weights day. ... I've noticed some results here and there rather quickly though but I hope its not temporary.
That's from more of your muscles working to stabilize the weights, which generally makes using free weights better than machines.
Quote:
its a little annoying to keep tugging at the parts of the tee shirt that never felt so tight before.
Wait till you have to start buying new shirts to fit that growing chest of yours.
  #17   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Well Aikuchi, you made be growing slow (stupid reality, why can't it let us grow faster?), but just remember your goal:

http://www.cyoc.net/index.php?set_al...view_photo.php

That picture, is of course, only your halfway mark.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #18   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Always a fan.

Choices and Updates

---

O'melissokomos

I think I like free weights but I'm uncertain about the strength of my form and I know that really important for exercises with free weights. The machines help me out mostly because of the static motion. I may need more guidance in finding good form.

As for buying new shirts.
I like feeling like I'm filling out a few of my older body-fitting tee's. Although, one of the shirts felt reallllly tight around the arms (biceps) and remember as I was putting it on, I wished I had a pair of scissors to cut the short sleeves up so they wouldnt pinch so. That felt nice to have that thought.

theMM

Always the eyes on the prize, eh? Which is admirable and something I'm striving for - if nothing else I hope consistency will reward me. And thank you for the reminder.

---

I noticed I dated my last progress shot wrongly, so I've corrected the error in the latest photo progress strip.

---

Personal Update:

I've recently gotten a small boost in motivation. The guy I'm dating - who've I've only been seeing for the last 2 months, likes to sleep on my chest (or what I have so far). I'd actually like to develop my upper body more (and not neglect the legs of course) because a part of me would like him to have more ... 'cushion' to lay his head on and something larger to hold on to when he grabs my arm.

He's supportive of me aiming to get more muscular although he doesn't go to the gym himself and I don't see him often as he lives 2 cities away. He wouldn't like me to get too huge like some of his fitness-driven friends but I'm sure he'll come around

I've also been saving up to buy a computer but am undecided on a PC desktop or a mobile Laptop. I may just delay the purchase because I cannot make up my mind, and may consider spending a portion of my computer funds to hire a personal trainer that my current gym provides.

As I've mentioned before, I would like more on-hands help as well to try and find what my limitations and breaking points that I am not aware of are. Its not cheap but I feel it may be worth it.
I hope to get a good trainer for the 12 lessons (I may extend it to a 24 or 36 sessions but it'll cost more) - and I will admit that it isn't cheap either.

---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ess_04_09a.jpg

---
  #19   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
I think I like free weights but I'm uncertain about the strength of my form and I know that really important for exercises with free weights.
Until you have someone personally showing you the ropes, check out sites like ExRx.net and the NCSA Performance Analysis Videos to research on the proper movements. And, as always, when trying something new, start light.
Quote:
The machines help me out mostly because of the static motion.
Well, they do help in building up strength more safely, but one of these days, you'll outgrow them--literally.

Speaking of growing, there's definitely something happening in that upper body of yours. Keep up the good work.
  #20   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Great progress - you're definitely putting more mass on your chest
  #21   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Always a fan.

Its october! 7 months

omelissokomos

Thank you for the links, they're very helpful!
and thank for for the support. To be honest, the only reinforcement I get is from the feedback and reading the threads in this messageboard forum. I don't have a workout buddy and I've seen here how much that helps!
Until then _ I think I've stayed pretty on track about myself

hyooge

Welcome to the board and thanks for the words of support, I really appreciate it!

Progress shots: Oct:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_10.jpg
  #22   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
To be honest, the only reinforcement I get is from the feedback and reading the threads in this messageboard forum.
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. If it weren't for the 'Net I probably wouldn't have started doing this in the first place. I've got a few IM pals I check in with from time to time though Yahoo's been going haywire on me lately.
Quote:
I don't have a workout buddy and I've seen here how much that helps!
Never had one the last 3 years myself. Don't have any buddies as crazy into this shit as I am, but I'd like to think I've been doing OK.
Quote:
Until then _ I think I've stayed pretty on track about myself
Yup, based on your latest pic, I'd say you have.
  #23   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Always a fan.

---

Definitely in agreement with you. The internet has in many ways given me that little bit of encouragement to keep things going. I often don't have a problem starting up stuff - its the seeing things through that gets to me.
Although, as the years pass by - there's less I do online, from chats / browsing random sites / cyber-muck about. And my faith in Yahoo services has dropped considerably in the past few years.

O' I'm pretty sure you're doing right by yourself and I hope you're reaching your goals (as they reset themselves bigger and bigger every year!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelissokomos View Post
Yup, based on your latest pic, I'd say you have.
(( blushes ))
Well thanks. I certainly do try.

---
  #24   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Always a fan.

November comes about.

---

I was ill for about a week, flu, cough and all kins of strange stuff because of the ill weather of late. But I still didn't break routine, went on with my 3 times a week hoping I could get past it. work has been a little heavy as of late, with late hours (running close to midnight on some days - still wen to the gym and went back to work another time).

Not sure how it may or may not have affected my workouts but I don't think I've made much progress this month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_11.jpg

---
  #25   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Always a fan.

December update

---

Well, admittedly I'm a little late with this month's update. Things have been a whirlwind of sorts. Finances always being an issue specially in light of the coming new year.

Nonetheless, one week I feel I've made progress while another, I fell I've made none. Whatever improvements I feel I've made seem to be slowing down. I think I need to step up somehow ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ress_04_12.jpg

---
  #26   Add to tom256's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM

tom256 is on a distinguished road
You've made tremendous progress, there is more definition on the muscle and those shoulders have broadoned alot. A good achievment
  #27   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Always a fan.

---
tom256

Thank you. Its pretty hard to tell for myself, which is why I'm taking this step to post up progress photo's for a more objective look. It helps ... most of the time.

I do notice over the change of months about muscle definition although I'm not certain I'm really bulking or muscling up. My weight has been pretty consistent. I think I've put on about 5 lbs (consistent) over the past few months. But I have been working hard on my shoulders!

---
  #28   Add to tom256's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM

tom256 is on a distinguished road
Well it's nice to know your opinion is appreciated
Seriously though, there does seem to be improvement there, though you said you put on 5 lbs, i can see you have lost a bit of weight in you waist, i looked closely at the picture and noticed that you've done well.
Needless to say, you've done a good job, its a good sign that any normal person can bulk up
  #29   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Always a fan.

---

tom256

Of course, your opinion is appreciated. Any encouragement and advice I can get is welcome since there's really no one I can share this with IRL where I am. At least not with my circle of friends

I know overtime there is some improvement. If there wasn't any, I'd have given up a long time back I think. But thank you again for you comments.

By the way, I think I was feeling a little good about myself after a late drink with a friend last night and took the following pic.

Not the best, or flattering but at least I'm less shy about taking pictures of myself

---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ss_random1.jpg
  #30   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
at least I'm less shy about taking pictures of myself
As you should be since each of your updates has shown some visible progress. Before long you're going to look back at this thread and say to yourself, "I used to look like that?"

Keep on pumpin'.
  #31   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Always a fan.

---

An update without pictures.
I'm taking a slight changed route on the progress update for now.

I just paid for some lessons with a personal trainer, and have been through a couple of sessions already. He's seen me around the gym for the past few months, so when I had signed on - he said that the few lessons I've signed on, he'll show me the basics then after the Chinese New Year holidays, I can decide if I want to take more or he'll just work with me on my own programme to begin with.
And because he's seen me use the machines often enough - he informs me he'll show me more of exercises with the free weights.

First off, its a little grueling but welcome! Its good to feel what it would be when your body is being pushed. I guess its a good measure now to actually realistically feel what is it when the body is being pushed - and being genuinely tired at the end of a session. Knowing that, I'm armed with how far and how well I can take or push myself during exercises. That was major lesson one.
Squats are harder to do than they are to see being performed!

After a difficult first session with legs, legs and more legs. The next few really showed (more than i believed before) how important it was. There's so much support that comes from the legs during the other upper body and mid-sectional exercises because of form control and the ability to maintain weights and preventing problems caused by bad posture. Painful sore lesson but a good one.
Lifts take much leg strength for an upper body exercise!

A fraction of movement, a angle of lift really drastically changes the effect of a single exercise. Ouch, followed by more ouches. I'm more aware of my form and the muscles involved and I'm pretty glad to know what to pay attention to during the exercise.

With the new stuff I'm doing with the free weight, and I'll hopefully continue to incorporate till much later; I know that even with limited time after work (3 times a week) - I don't have to feel rushed to cover all the exercises. And thats its better to work hard on major sections of the body at one time, and work hard on another part another time as they first sections rest.

On a surprising note, my legs are stronger than they appear to be - as is my stamina because he commented I'm a lot less winded and ready to continue between sets (shorter rest recovery) than most of his other beginners. I'm secretly happy about this.
Although I attribute it to being focused rather than having more stamina or inner leg strength.

Its all common sense if I think about it, but common sense always sounds good in theory - and terrifyingly unforgiving in practise. But in a good way!

We'll probably talk about my goals and diet more throught the lessons and what realistic expectations I should have at this stage. So I will be delaying my progress shots till after my lessons are over ... which should end sometime right before the Chinese New Year.

It wasn't cheap for a few lessons (several more left) and I ended up tapping into the money I was planning on using to buy a new computer / laptop, but I'm making the most out of every cent.
Hey, I'd better

ps: Although the bicep exercises left my biceps sore and then stiff for the longest time in the following dats, they looked like they were flexed all the time! Thats rather motivating!

---
  #32   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:16 AM
The Bee Keeper

Good going getting a trainer to guide you along your shift to free weights. Also, the great thing about compound leg exercises is that the entire body benefits.
  #33   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Always a fan.

in 2009

--

First off its HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! to everyone else around the world over!

I have a couple of days off work and I ate a lot at my family chinese reunion dinner (steamboat) tonight.

I've also just had my last lesson with my personal trainer at the gym a couple of days ago. I think I've picked up a bit, but now that I've gone through a some of the articles I've collected in some muscle mags I own on my shelves - I'm starting to understand it better! A lot more in fact! In particular I know how it feel like to actually feel the musclle work and push as I use it .. well clearer than before

I feel like I've had some off days at the gym. but I know what it feels like to have good days as well. Which is good, because now I can tell if I'm really putting myself into my workout. I'm a little worried about pushing myself, by myself, but I've made it this far on my own so whats a little further each time. I don't know if I've made much visible physical progress, altho' I do feel better overall.

I'll let the pictures speak at this point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ss_2009_01.jpg

Altho' 2009 does look a little bleak with the current economic slide, I do hope things aren't as bad as they seem, or predicted. We just might get on by ok and that the storm is simply stronger than it look from a distance.

---
  #34   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:37 AM
The Bee Keeper

How've you been faring on your own, Aikuchi? Inquiring mind wants to know.
  #35   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Always a fan.

Always feeling like I need to catch up ...

---

Hey O,

To be honest - not alot.
Works easier because its the time of the year when the ad agencies don't get too much on their work plate (holidays and events are mostly later in the eyar so Mid-Year gets crazy). BUT ... with the current economic situation, everyone's on the wire and re-structuring, graduates are pounding on doors with the recently unemployed and employers are trying to get more for their money out of their current employee's. So work there is ...

And for the last month, as much as it pained me and demotivated me, I cut down to twice a week. Each time I missed a night, I thought to make it up over the weekend, only to have to work on the Saturday and squeeze errands and household responsibilities into the Sunday.

I'm feeling pretty bad about myself and my boyfriend knows how upset I am whenever I miss one of my regular gym schedules. Not to mention, I've only just changed my routine since the training tips but the routine doesn't really work as well should my schedule drop to twice a week.

So yea, while I'm just as happy with my boyfriend of 8 months; it seems the paranoia of worse things to come for the year of 2009 is cutting into more corners of my life as it is. Freelancing work is becoming closer to non-existant as time to work on on it dwindles and demands recede. My spending priorities will / have changed - a new computer will have to wait longer, as well as saving up for a few more training sessions (which helped incredibly).

While I think I'm holding up well, I'm not feeling the greatest about my body now. Intake of food is erratic as it seems, everything edible has gone up in price as well.

Taking out my frustrations working out doesn't work too well for me either, as it makes me lose focus. I feel like I'm starting all over again everytime I hit the gym now.

I'm not totally depressed of anything, perhaps just dispirited about myself. I haven't even drawn anything personally since .. oh, my LAST art post in this forum! And I'm really glad to know my guy's there to support how I feel about this. He tries to help, but its a personal battle / motivation / push really and I've got to get over this. I just worry about how much time it'll take as it seems if I take too long ... its another slow crawl from the beginning.

I had hoped to meet more people around my schedule, like-mindedness to share the gym experience and keep tabs on me because my boyfriends lives in the next city and its hard enough as it is sometimes. Most groups of guys (older members) seem to have their cliques at the gym I frequent and to be honest - there's such a different level of approach when I try to get in sync with some of the younger guys at the gym. Its the way it is, and its not much of a complaint, just a bitter observation. But I'm just rambling now ...

I'm hoping to pick myself up (working out-wise) by the middle of this month. I just have to. Mayhaps I need to re-prioritize things, workout routines (as much as I dread having to take a step back) and timing.

While I'm on the roll with being blunt with myself;
Keeping myself motivated with other video's, stories and success accounts of achieving physical goals both resolves my determination and frustrates me. The fantasy of reaching the same progress pace and the realism of knowing my own pace doesn't get me there the same.

Great .... just great.
(( sigh ))

---
  #36   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Always a fan.

catch up

---

I'm surprised as I update my progress photo - that I didn't miss it. I thought I did but ... apparently I didn't miss the progress update.

On the other hand, I don't feel too great about the workout and thus results in the last few months. I think it shows but I'll still dodder on - I'd feel better even at the snail's halting pace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ss_2009_03.jpg

---
  #37   Add to Qpjp1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Qpjp1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Qpjp1
wow your chest is definitely getting bigger!

I think you are doing a great job!
  #38   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Always a fan.

---

Thanks Qpjp1

---

Well, its official - the ONE year since I started at the gym.
I'm not completely disheartened and I tried to remain realistic but I must admit to some disappointed frustration on my part about how far I've gone.

I expected better of myself.

There's no other simpler way to say it. I honestly thought I'd reach a point further than this but I also admit there's at least some progress. Still think I'd do better with a workout partner though and it has been harder than I realize trying to keep myself motivated solo.

Results:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ss_2009_04.jpg

---

As of May - I'll be trying a totally new routine; something I got from online. but I do feel better equipped to rifle through the mountain of exercise routines online enough to make an educated choice on what may work next for me. At least I know something about what DOESN'T (lol!)

Wish me luck! And here's to another year!

---
  #39   Add to Qpjp1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Qpjp1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Qpjp1
Keep up the work!!! Come post more! =]
  #40   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Always a fan.

---

THanks a lot Qpjp1.

Altho' I'm more inclined to just keep to the practise of posting just once a month of update photos

---

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options