The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #41   Add to buffnav214's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 18th, 2004, 02:57 PM

buffnav214 is on a distinguished road
My pet gym peeve is the "gawkers." A good looking member of the opposite sex (and in some cases the same sex, but the most common ratio is 1 pretty female to a bunch of horny males) starts using a certain piece of equipment, and all of a sudden all these hormone charged people decide they need to do a similar exercise so they have an excuse to gawk at the person out the corner of their eye, and if they're lucky enough to wind up next to the person, strike up a conversation (most commonly happens with the treadmills and free weights). I'm all for courtship, but NOT during my workout. Of course, I might be a bit bitter because I had a workout partner drop a bar on me in his haste to strike up a conversation with a cute (by his definition) girl. That's not typically what post workout pain is supposed to feel like.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #42   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Yeah, I hate people who make it a point to workout next to me and flatter me with praise about my physique that I spend so much time on.
  #43   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:34 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
yet another problem I would love to have...

---

yeah!!! doesn't that just suck!!!

*rolls his eyes sarcastically*

#44   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:11 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
yet another problem I would love to have...

I hope you mean having people of both genders admire your body is the problem you'd love to have, and not having your spotter drop the weight on you!

I don't care what gender you are, if you are giving me a compliment, I'm more than happy to except it (could be since I am an attention starved, only child).
  #45   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:18 AM

ethernet_jock
well everyone knows how much I love pain... LOL... but yea, broken jaws, noses, and collar bones aren't my idea of fun.

I was definitely talking about the admiration angle
  #46   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:05 PM

OK, so 24 Hour Fitness remolded the club in NW Portland, and I gots me a whole list of new bitches to bitch about.
  1. Snotty employees that have already heard your list of complaints, and try to shut you up.
  2. when they remodel the gym & take out all the heavy weights.
  3. not labling where weights go so you get a huge mismash of weights all over the place.
  4. having the locker room & pool area acrossed the weightroom from each other. Who designed this place?
  5. When the vallet has the day off. I should be working out, not parking
  6. No hot water.
  7. When the steam room has no steam. Why not call it the tile room that's slightly humid?
  8. Low water level in the hot-tub, making it hard to soak sore muscles.

Needless to say I won't return to that location!
  #47   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:47 PM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Needless to say I won't return to that location!
That's what I love about the "all club" pass at 24 hour fitness - if one gym starts to suck ass, then you just go to a different one!

Brent it's funny you revived this thread today.. I was gonna search for it and post. Today's workout was going just fine until this guy in the free weight area grunted and groaned surprisingly loud - he wasn't even a big guy. I'd say around 5'10 and 160 pounds? He was doing dumbbell bench presses and I glanced at the weight - 35 pounds each! I guess he was kicking ass and taking names, in his own mind.
  #48   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:17 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claygrant
Today's workout was going just fine until this guy in the free weight area grunted and groaned surprisingly loud - he wasn't even a big guy. I'd say around 5'10 and 160 pounds? He was doing dumbbell bench presses and I glanced at the weight - 35 pounds each!
Hehe... I think every gym has one. I'm just glad I don't have that guy from the "Fitness made Simple" TV ads (John Baestow?) in my gym. That alone would be reason enough to find another gym!

As far as complaints? There are no real issues with my gym per se. The staff is friendly as are most of the gym members. Everything is clean and there are plently of ammenities (for the serious and not so serious lifter). If I HAD to find one thing to complain about is that I must be mentally linked to everyone in that gym because just as I am eyeing a machine or a set of weights from across one of the rooms, someone else inevitably grabs it. Of course now, this person is about 80% likely to be elderly and that means that the item in question is occupodo for a good 15 to 20 minutes while they agonize over each set. But in the end, I'm just glad they're out and about and trying to stay healthy.. so I just find something else to do in the 15-30 minutes they may be using the item in question

Well, that' probably my only gripe for now (though I am sure something else will tick me off about the gym sooner or later.. like teenagers that don't have a clue of what they are doing and start to swing weights while their whole body moves like a wet noodle....hehe)

Scott
  #49   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
I've a few to list as well:

* People who use the only squat rack for something that could be done elsewhere(e.g. wrist curls); that's OK -- I'll just work my legs on the preacher bench.

* People who are in the way. The main walkway through the gym is for just that - walking. If you need to pull off the road to chat then do so. Some people move slowly, but when there is a small herd of chatterers it's annoying.

* People who smell badly or fart. I've had to move to different cardio machines because someone reeks so badly next to me. Some people don't like fans operating in the cardio area, but lately they are a blessing since they also disperse the gas that's come awafting. It's really too bad when you see the person in front of you fanning and looking around.

* People who 'claim' cardio machines and then disappear.

* People who 'save' cardio machines. Yesterday I was at Gold's and the woman in front of me told an older man that she was expecting a friend to use the treadmill next to her. Later another guy (younger and better built) asked if it was taken, and she moved her purse. Since they exchanged no further comments, I find it difficult to believe that he was her expected friend.
  #50   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:50 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
some people just

have their heads shoved all the way up their own asses.it's not a big problem at my gym,but i've found pieces of equipment(a 25lb.db,a dipping belt)hidden behind a radiator or a machine;so that someone won't have to look for it when they come in for their workout.sheesh!
  #51   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRx
* People who use the only squat rack for something that could be done elsewhere(e.g. wrist curls); that's OK -- I'll just work my legs on the preacher bench.
OH, that has to be my #1 complaint! I love squats, if you want to do shrugs, do them away from the F*ing squat rack! Thank you!
  #52   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:51 PM

glammaman2000
tort reform

ok;so i workout in a "Crunch"gym&i understand the need to avoid lawsuits.but the latest is that they have bolted a pin in the low cables so that you can't use less than 25lbs.reason?some ding-dong somewhere put a 20lb handle on the top cable,pulled out the selecta-pin,got hit in the head&decided to sue!don't they understand that this is god's plan to thin out the herd?(this is what happens when you have a society that produces WAAAAAY too many lawyers with time on their hands!)
  #53   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:27 PM

Get the trail laywers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
... i understand the need to avoid lawsuits.
(this is what happens when you have a society that produces WAAAAAY too many lawyers with time on their hands!)
You go George Bush! I think the funny thing is that everyone hates lawyers, up until someone does something to cause you not to be able to work again. I had friend that have lost everything after a doctor severed part of his spine trying to shave a few minutes off of an operation. The doctor got to his golf game on time, but Stan is now a permanent paraplegic. Because of tort reform, he got $1900, and can never work again. Stan and Sharon lost their house, and he will be on welfare for the rest of his life. Another reason why I don't believe in doctors. I think a better solution is to have the judges control juries more. However, I'd be careful before advocating relinquishing your own rights and the basic rights of others.
  #54   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:01 AM

ethernet_jock
Brent / Glam,

I think what you guys are talking about are two entirely different things. There's Gross Neglegiance (Brent's Form) and Personal Responsbility.

Lawyers help protect us in the cases of gross neglegiance and other incredibly insane things that do actually happen when humans cease to really care about other humans. They ruin the system, however, in the cases of lack of personal responsbility (hot coffee from McDonald's, weights that fall on your head when you're stupid, etc...).

Americans definitely need to be held more responsible for their own dumbshit actions - professionals (doctors, like in the case of Brent's friend) included!!
  #55   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I may have over-reacted, but I just wanted to point out that tort reform is not the open and shut case that the GOP is making it sound like. How many times have we heard about that one lady that sued Mc Donald's? How many other cases are out there that are totally just? How much is you ability to work worth to you?
  #56   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
cases of lack of personal responsbility (hot coffee from McDonald's,
The case in question (McDonalds) has several facts that keep getting missed in the retelling. For example, that particular store had been warned by the health department several times for coffee that is too hot (> 180 degrees). Even after the warnings, the restaurant took no corrective actions. The woman was prepared for hot coffee, but not coffee that scalded her and burned her flesh off. And while people talk about "hot" coffee as if heat does not injure, try sticking your hand in near boiling water and see what happens. Given these facts (which a judge and jury heard before giving her the large award), was it "personal responsibility" or "gross negligence"?

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #57   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Thank God for Lawyers!

Just to jump in here.....

Shakespeare's Henry IV, part 2 has the most famous quotation on this subject:

"The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers."

No, not because they wanted tort reform! It was because Lawyers, as educated citizens, were the group, after soldiers, that could best safeguard people's rights. If you don't know what your rights are, do you trust a defendant manufacturer (Ford motor Co. and the Pinto--Johns Manville and asbestos---a negligent physician and any number of injured patients) to tell you?

H*** no! For all the ambulance chasers out there, there are thousands of dedicated attorneys who willing volunteer their time and expertise to help people in trouble. Think about that when you go to vote in two weeks. Lawyers around the U.S., on BOTH sides of the ticket, will be monitoring elections to make sure that no vote stealing/chicanery goes unnoticed!

For all the b**ching about Tort reform, let us not forget some defendants:

Johns Manville and the entire Asbestos/insulation industry, that systematically put money into legislative initiatives to change the worker's comp laws in this country to prohibit workers from collecting on worker's comp claims for lung damage due to asbestos exposure in the workplace.

Ford Motor Co. which, after engaging in cost-benefit analysis, decided that they would rather "take a chance" and continue to make the Ford Pinto with a dangerous design defect, (which caused the gas tanks to explode upon impact in a 5 (five) mph collision) rather than spend $20 to modify each car and make them safe!

The Tobacco companies, which knowingly, willingly, designed, produced, marketed and sold a "nicotine delivery system" to millions of people worldwide. They engineered tobaccco plants to produce more concentrated levels of nicotine, knowing and intending that more people would become addicted to cigarettes!

And, to finish up here, remember Tom Hanks and his academy-award winning job as the gay, HIV-positive attorney who had to sue his big time law firm employer to get his benefits? A true story!

For all the abuses, the benefits of having all those lawyers out there outweigh the costs! Both Bush and Kerry benefit from it, and so do we all!

,<Takes deep breathe, steps down from soapbox....>

"Having said all that, I agree that people who sue over hitting themselves in the head with an exercise cable are probably idiots! That's for the jury to decide!"

Mdlftr
  #58   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:15 PM

ethernet_jock
well... alrighty then.

I had NO intention of starting a massive debate.

My point was very simple. There is a time and a place for lawyers and their practical use. The problem is - over-use and abuse (as with any similar career). I've worked with several lawyers on/off for side work over the last few years - a couple famous local divorce and PI lawyers and one civil rights lawyer. They're a "necessary evil" and they are not always evil either.

Anyhow - that's about it.
  #59   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM

glammaman2000
I started this debate!

&if anybody says any different;I'LL SUE THE BASTARDS!my point is;our nation produces;proportionally,too many lawyers.approx.5x as many as,say,Japan(the figure could be much higher)these people did not go through a long,expensive education to make an ordinary amount of money.&there are more of them than there is(legitimate)work.most lawyers are ok or better(some of my best friends...)like most doctors.but the bottom feeders,like incompetent physicians,are a BIG problem.it's all about balance.
  #60   Add to explodingmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM

explodingmuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to explodingmuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
My gym also has only one squat rack and one Smith machine. Which are both apparently intended for curling--silly me, I actually work legs on occasion.
Same situation here. The Smith Machine is actually useful for lots of things, and it would be great to have more than one. We have 3 leg press machines though! AAARRGH!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options