The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Motivation: Buff Guy or Bodybuilder??

I am motivated to work out because I want to be that buff guy. You know, that buff guy pumping gas whose triceps look like some huge tree knot bulging out so much that they are clearly visible even through his shirt. I want to be that buff guy at the pool with six pack abs standing next to my next door neighbor who is the same age as me but has a beer belly and looks like he is pregnant with a small pony.

Bodybuilder? Nope. Not me. That?s the guy oiled up on stage in a thong who is painted with some awful brown crap that looks worse than the stain on my backyard deck. I do not want to be the guy who is so self-absorbed that he has abandoned the real world for one of me, me, me.

I subscribe to the Evolution Forum because I am evolving into that buff guy. Already I get asked to flex occasionally. When my son and his friends helped me stain the deck, I took off my shirt and one of the teenage guys told me he had no idea how buff I was. I kinda like being the guy at the office asked to move the file cabinet because they know I can do it with ease due to my increased strength. Going from 165# to 205# was a great experience. It?s fun to challenge myself to doing curls with 40 pound dumbbells.

My motivation has not gone away. When my arms get to 18? and my waist down to 32?, I will still hit the gym and jog around the park. Not because I want to be a bodybuilder. I want to be that buff guy.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim USA For This Useful Post:
bbgonnabe (February 2nd, 2013)
  #2   Add to BBMikeNJ's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM

BBMikeNJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BBMikeNJ Send a message via Yahoo to BBMikeNJ
Good goals there, man. And some very visual descriptions of the muscle!
  #3   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
I think you passed buff sometime in the mid-nineties, my friend.

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle
  #4   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Maybe you should consider breaking out the paint, lol!

- Dorothy Parker

- Eager Muscle

- Eager Muscle
  #5   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Definitely no aspirations of becoming a bodybuilder here.

Hell, I'm too tall for my frame to be a bodybuilder anyway, and I cannot imagine myself standing in shiny mini-undies in fake tan anyway. I'm not much of a show-off.

All I want is to gain some mass (and then some more) to feel good about myself. I don't feel like going through cycles of bulking and cutting; I'm too vain for that.

But yeah, now I've got a martial-artist look after less than a year of working out, and I'm pretty proud of myself, seeing where I came from. I'll see how far I can take myself. Any limitations are not due to a lack of effort, in any case!
  #6   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Good one....

sss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim USA View Post
I am motivated to work out because I want to be that buff guy. You know, that buff guy pumping gas whose triceps look like some huge tree knot bulging out so much that they are clearly visible even through his shirt. I want to be that buff guy at the pool with six pack abs standing next to my next door neighbor who is the same age as me but has a beer belly and looks like he is pregnant with a small pony.

Bodybuilder? Nope. Not me. That?s the guy oiled up on stage in a thong who is painted with some awful brown crap that looks worse than the stain on my backyard deck. I do not want to be the guy who is so self-absorbed that he has abandoned the real world for one of me, me, me.

I subscribe to the Evolution Forum because I am evolving into that buff guy. Already I get asked to flex occasionally. When my son and his friends helped me stain the deck, I took off my shirt and one of the teenage guys told me he had no idea how buff I was. I kinda like being the guy at the office asked to move the file cabinet because they know I can do it with ease due to my increased strength. Going from 165# to 205# was a great experience. It?s fun to challenge myself to doing curls with 40 pound dumbbells.

My motivation has not gone away. When my arms get to 18? and my waist down to 32?, I will still hit the gym and jog around the park. Not because I want to be a bodybuilder. I want to be that buff guy.
For me, I did become that buff guy, but it soon became not enough.

I wanted to become not the on-stage bodybuilder, but I wanted to become what that same bodybuilder looks like off-stage and off-season.....big, blown up and just plain HUGE! I wanted to be (and have become) the huge guy that gets wedged in doorways. I wanted to be the huge guy that1 walks into a mall or store and see people moving over, staring, or staring and glancing away really quickly, and by sight of me it is very obvious that I lift VERY HEAVY weights! In any case, I wanted to be huge! Today, even with the 20 inch guns and the 57 inch chest and tipping the scale at close to 270, I still want to push the envelope.

I noticed as I got bigger and bigger, more people became polarized.....they either really liked the big muscle or thought it was gross. I once had a guy chase me down in the parking lot wondering if I would train him to be "HUGE" like me, and I even heard someone at a party whisper the word "FREAK" to someone else about me. I smiled....YEAH!!! I have arrived!

D
  #7   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I want to be like Lifter73.

Just 50 lbs. to go! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #8   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:57 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Very well put, Lifter!

Ron III---III
  #9   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter73 View Post
sss

For me, I did become that buff guy, but it soon became not enough.

I wanted to become not the on-stage bodybuilder, but I wanted to become what that same bodybuilder looks like off-stage and off-season.....big, blown up and just plain HUGE! I wanted to be (and have become) the huge guy that gets wedged in doorways. I wanted to be the huge guy that1 walks into a mall or store and see people moving over, staring, or staring and glancing away really quickly, and by sight of me it is very obvious that I lift VERY HEAVY weights! In any case, I wanted to be huge! Today, even with the 20 inch guns and the 57 inch chest and tipping the scale at close to 270, I still want to push the envelope.

I noticed as I got bigger and bigger, more people became polarized.....they either really liked the big muscle or thought it was gross. I once had a guy chase me down in the parking lot wondering if I would train him to be "HUGE" like me, and I even heard someone at a party whisper the word "FREAK" to someone else about me. I smiled....YEAH!!! I have arrived!

D
Preach brother!
  #10   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Definately 'buff guy' here. When I was younger, I was known as the skinny guy, goofy yes, but still skinny nonetheless. So now I want to be the big guy that stretches even a 3XL t-shirt; the guy that shoves his ass into a pair of jeans, and wears them out from being that damn big; the guy, that if he so desires, can "prove" that brawn beats brains everytime.*

Standing at basically 6'1", 150 pounds, I believe that 300 lbs in say...20 years, sounds reasonable, does it not?

*At least, on this site it does.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #11   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Another one for "buff guy"

I really admire bodybuilders, but I just don't have it in me to be that dedicated to my physique. Also, I'm not into the really ripped look for myself. I was really lean for a time - six pack and all - but I prefer having a bit more weight on me, and having being large and strong rather than lean and vascular.

But more power to the guys & girls who really live the bodybuilding lifestyle!
  #12   Add to no1spcl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:47 PM

no1spcl is on a distinguished road
I'll admit, I'm not really wanting to transform myself solely to be the bodybuilder, self absorbed, fake tanned, etc. etc.
Mainly I enjoy how much better my body feels as I gain muscle and lose fat. I discover muscles that I didn't know I had.
I would like to have a six pack, but I could settle for merely having a flat stomach, even if individual abs are not visible. If I had to make a choice between having big, thick, massive shirt stretching muscle, the kind of muscle that will stretch out any pair of pants in the quads and in the glutes, perhaps even a little tight around the calves - or being substantially smaller but ripped - I would have to GO BIG!
I want to be a presence when I enter a room. I want to physically overwhelm smaller males and be an alpha male.
I can't wait until I have to actually buy bigger clothes because I just can't squeeze my massive musculature into anything I own.
One thing I must guard against though; I never want to have a gut. I want to be able to wear tight shirts and have them cling to me and look good. I want to have to custom order woven shirts so that they are cut large enough to accommodate my massive lats and pecs and arms without billowing out around my powerful but trim waistline.
  #13   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM

No worries about becoming self absorbed, mate!

- Dorothy Parker

- Eager Muscle

- Eager Muscle
  #14   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
ok lets clear up a few things. The fake tan is only for competitions bodybuilders do not run around with fake tan on all the time.
Second there is a difference in competiotin physique and " off season" . Most guys get confused between the two. Most bodybuilder do not try to get beyons 10-11 % bf off season. Bodybuilding is more than lifting weights in the gym that is about 15% of it. the rest is nutrition and mental and genetics. Most guys have no clue on nutrition or the mental part of the sport. genetics we have no control over you make the best of what your given and you try to push your genetics to the max. That may include using anabolics and other such agents. Just remember bodybuilding is a lifestyle that is 24/7 not a 9-5 job.
  #15   Add to Syphon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Lolhi

Syphon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Syphon
I just want an athletic underwear model type body. I definitely don't want to be huge, just ripped and 180lbs. I'm an ectomorph so that fits my genetics anyway.
  #16   Add to TeenHypnoMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM

TeenHypnoMuscle is on a distinguished road
I aimed for the Swimmers Body, but went for the Bodybuilder Body.
Yes, I do have 'body tan oils' and wear 'bodybuilding' undies and pose on stage.
  #17   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim USA View Post

I really like it. You are that buff guy, and you'll continue to grow into that huge buff guy. Keep at it!

yahoo: storyen
  #18   Add to Nick Brooks Fit's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Nick Brooks Fit is on a distinguished road
Good job keep it up. Your positive thinking is great.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options