The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM

growingboyslc is on a distinguished road
Just getting started

To start off I've been reading stories on omellisskomos for awhile now, and they always turn me on, I've wanted to be big forever. I've tried and tried and gotten nowhere, but stories of gaining 60lbs in a year keep pulling me back.

I want to get huge. I weight 155 now, and dream of breaking 200. It seems far off cause right now I'm kinda a pussy . I don't really know too much of what I'm doing, just the end goal. So I'm open to ANY help possible.

I can't join a gym right now, it's just too expensive on a college budget, but I hope to someday not only go to a gym, but have heads turn when I do.

Anyway, encouragement is GREATLY appreciated, as I tend to get depressed when I work for months for nothing.

Oh, lastly, if anybody would take me on as a pet project, I'd be in heaven.

K, kinda embarrasing...but here's my opening stats... if I can get going, I'll post updates and get a webcam with voice so I can do the youtube thing

8-7-08
arms 11" flexed
waist 32"
chest 35"
thigh 18"
[email protected]

oh, and how do I put a photo on here?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
Never be embarrassed about where you are physically. Remember that even the huge bodybuilders had to start somewhere. I had a workout buddy 2 years ago that was 5'8" 125# and in 15 months he put on 25# of solid muscle. He's shredded, I'm a little jealous of that being a beefy 235# myself.
  #3   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM

That's awesome. Yeah, I had a friend put on 40 lbs in a year... it was hot. I'm sure if I had proper nutrition and training, i could do it to. When I had my physical, the doctor told me I've got a solid frame if i wanted to add some muscle. Anyway, I still need to figure out how to add a pic on here, i'll show you my puniness, then when i get big it can be compared
  #4   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:48 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Just hang in there! :)

Trust me, you'll make it to that goal. Been there myself.

And yes, the key is to have a plan to get to that goal. And with that, you need to research, research and research! You'll not only need to just lift a weight, you'll have to learn how to "feel" what works and what doesn't work for your body. And nutrition......eating and nutrition will make or break yor gains no matter what you do with your lifting routine.

Read all you can about bodybuilding, and even a few books or articles about powerlifting. NOT just the magazines.....yes, the mags have all of those pretty pictures of huge bodybuilders and a few articles, but also read some good meat and potatoes bodybuilding books. I am currently reading one that was written by Ronnie Coleman and it is surprisingly good and informative as to how to put on muscle and plan your workout routine.

This just scratches the surface of a long journey that will take time.....and you must give it time! You want quality gains it takes quality time. Yes, there are those "I gained x amount of muscle in x amount of time", well, that is good for them....but be more concerned about what YOU can do for YOU! Don't despair, just keep plugging......if somethingg doesn't work or feel right, try somegthing different and see how you and your body responds.

I'll tell you, I have been at it close to 20 years and have done a lot of trial and error. And in that time I have gone from 120 pounds to a max weight of 260 and very happy with the muscle!

Just hang in there, take plently of progress pics and just keep pumpin no matter where...the gym, buy some cheap weights, join the Y or a community workout place....or google workout at home for more ideas!

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes!

Ron IIII----IIII

http://start.at/ronsplace
  #5   Add to James35's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM

James35
Hey growingboy, I can't say it any better than DaBigGuy and you can tell he knows what he's talking about. I'd just emphasize one of his points - patience! It will take some time to gain a lot of quality muscle. Don't get frustrated if you don't gain 40 lbs of muscle the first year, like some guys do; just keep working hard.
And then one day you'll look at yourself in the mirror, realize how big you've gotten and just kinda vaguely remember what it was like to be thin.
What helped me when I was getting started was to write down what I had lifted every workout, and what my stats were every month or two or so. It seemed at the time that my progress was slow, but now when I look back on the numbers I can see how good the progress really has been over time. I still have written down back some years ago when I had 13 1/2" biceps.

best of luck!
  #6   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
strongman2006

strongman2006 is on a distinguished road
Give it Time!

Ron and James hit it right on the nose ... give yourself time and persistent effort. I can tell you numerous stories about gym guys I met who give up too easily thinking that they can set goals which are actually unrealistic.

(ASIDE: I remember one guy saying that he wanted to gain 30 POUNDS IN 6 MONTHS. Well, I never seen him in my gym after the first month meeting him.)

Anyway, it took me 12 YEARS of SERIOUS LIFTING to get me where I am and, as DaBigGuy stated, a lot of it was trial and error. Nobody's perfect when it comes to lifting. And don't hesitate to ask the other more experienced gym members about certain exercises. Many of them won't hesitate to help you out.

I can tell you that I started at 178 lbs. at age 22. Now? I'm a HULKING 305 lbs! I'm as wide as many doors now. LOL!

I'm not sure if you want to be my size but take to heart that if you stay at it with the training, you'll soon realize the changes you initially thought you'd never achieve WILL BECOME YOUR NEW REALITY.

I hope this inspired you ... I think I should post a pic of me soon so you can see what I look like now.

All the best!

5'6", 310 lbs., 54" ch, 21.5" a, 20" neck, 30" quads, 19.5" calves

"I'm NOT a person anymore ... I'm THE HULK!"
-- Prologue to "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" video game
  #7   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:05 AM

Eh, thanks for the encouragement, i wish you went to my gym. I've gone to the U of U gym a couple times and people are kinda mean there. It'd be cool to get the tips and guidance to make sure i dont hurt myself.
  #8   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
strongman2006

Mean people

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingboyslc View Post
Eh, thanks for the encouragement, i wish you went to my gym. I've gone to the U of U gym a couple times and people are kinda mean there. It'd be cool to get the tips and guidance to make sure i dont hurt myself.

If certain people are mean in your gym, it usually implies that they are very insecure possibly about their own image. As a result, they become selfish and condescending towards who they believe are "inexperienced" gym members who, in their opinion, don't deserve to be in their clique. Think of it this way: their insecurity won't help them improve and when they soon realize that you've surpassed them, they'll relentlessly ponder as to why and will never find the answer ... hence making them more insecure.

This is my perception. Anyone, feel free to comment.

TRAIN HARD, BUDDY!

#9   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongman2006 View Post
If certain people are mean in your gym, it usually implies that they are very insecure possibly about their own image. As a result, they become selfish and condescending towards who they believe are "inexperienced" gym members who, in their opinion, don't deserve to be in their clique. Think of it this way: their insecurity won't help them improve and when they soon realize that you've surpassed them, they'll relentlessly ponder as to why and will never find the answer ... hence making them more insecure.

This is my perception. Anyone, feel free to comment.

TRAIN HARD, BUDDY!
That is an excellent perception, Strongman, and I think it is right on the mark.

I used to be so taken aback by that whole attitude from some gym goers... the rare muscleheads that have more attitude that knowledge and common sense, let alone manners. But you know something? I forget them, and yes, DO forget them! You are there for you! To me, the gym is not a social club... I am there for one thing and one thing only...to put on muscle! If I happen to make a nodding acquaintance with someone, so be it. Otherwise I'm too busy busting my ass with the weights..pure and simple.

Ask the staff at the gym if tghey have the experience how to do certain movements, lifts, etc etc. I find that they can be very helpful. If not, that is where the research comes in...and do the research!

In the meangtime, good luck, and keep your eyes on the goal, not the naysayers and the negative people.

Ron III---III
  #10   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM

OH NOOOOOO!!!! Weighed myself this morning, 148 ... Couldn't believe I lost that much so fast so I went and used my roommates scale, 148. Dammit, I'm going the wrong way!!!
  #11   Add to bigglutes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM

bigglutes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bigglutes Send a message via Yahoo to bigglutes Send a message via Skype™ to bigglutes
never give up

Never give up. Each day brings new hope if you keep a positive attitude!
I have been bodybuilding for over 20 years. Even with set backs from injuries and diet, there is always a serious come back, if you put your mind to it.
I follow a very strick diet by eating about the same thing every day, at the same time. I have learned that I must eat breakfast before I lift so that I have the food fuel to burn, by the time I arrive at the gym. It is amazing how much power I have doing leg and chest days from eating correct. My pecs and quads pump up huge! Then I feel that I have done something right.
Try to find a mentor work out partner who is devoted to growth. You will have to go throught a lot of them before you find the correct guy. Believe me! Go to the gym and do cardio every other day. Join a spin class . I pump up from spin class. It is amazing what can happen if you have patience, perseverence, and courage. I am looking for a training partner. I it is good to have the dumbells guided to you when you go heavy. All considered keep going and you will learn. When I am in U on business I will be happy to eat and train with you. Stay in touch.
  #12   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
strongman2006

Keep a Positive Attitude

Quote:
OH NOOOOOO!!!! Weighed myself this morning, 148 ... Couldn't believe I lost that much so fast so I went and used my roommates scale, 148. Dammit, I'm going the wrong way!!!

As a football player, Vince Lombardi made an inspirational remark that I always keep in mind when things seem to be going against our expectations:

"IT'S NOT HOW YOU FALL DOWN! IT'S HOW YOU GET BACK UP!"

All of us will fall numerous times, but finding the courage to get back up and staying on course will separate those who succeed and fail.

But, ultimately, the choice to get up and continue is entirely up to you.

Which course will you take?

Forget about the weight, buddy. Focus on the task at hand and train hard in the gym.

All the best!

#13   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM

Thanks...it just sucks... I'm trying to gain...been eating a lot, lifting as much as I can... Why am I losing weight? It's ridiculous. And guys here in slc aren't into getting big...they all want to be skinny twinks, so yeah, would love to workout and eat with anyone passing through that could help.
  #14   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One piece of advice: leave the scales alone! They can play a game on your psyche, and it is always better to go by how you look in the mirror. Weight can fluctuate wildly by as much as 5 pounds in either direction, sometimes even more. So, just keep lifting heavy, eating heavy, resting heavy and you'll get heavy.

D
  #15   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter73 View Post
One piece of advice: leave the scales alone! They can play a game on your psyche, and it is always better to go by how you look in the mirror. Weight can fluctuate wildly by as much as 5 pounds in either direction, sometimes even more. So, just keep lifting heavy, eating heavy, resting heavy and you'll get heavy.

D
Lifter's right...touch base with the scales MAYBE once a month out of curiosity. It's more about inches and how you feel. I've maintained my weight of 270 but put an inch on my chest and dropped 2 from my waist. Being my height and size, I can swing 5 pounds in one day depending on fluid and food intake...I'd go crazy if I watched my weight daily!

Also, get into the mindset that it's a lifestyle not a project. Like the other guys said, do the research, learn the basics, and one day you'll look in the mirror and say, "oh shit! who the hell is that?!" Just focus on how your body feels during a workout and after a workout...get to know it...get to enjoy it.

One really important thing to remember is don't over train. Me, I like to give three days of healing time before I train the same group of muscles again and then I take at least two days off to give the whole body a break...listen to your body and you'll figure it out.

Finally, while nutrition is key, SO IS SLEEP!

Good Luck!
  #16   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Right now I work out 3 days a week.. 2 full body with free weights, and once a week I pick 2 specific muscles and wear them out. Is this a good idea?
  #17   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM

ok, so it's been about a month, so here's an update. I need to get my measurments done again.

I do weigh 156 now, so that's a plus-- this is first thing in the morning, no food, etc...

I eat 2600 calories a day right now minimum, and since I'm not gaining like I want to, I'm gonna up that to 3000 a day minimum.

I have managed to go up 5 lbs on all my lifts, so that was exciting. Oh, and I think i have peclets now.

Only 29 lbs to go for my first goal
  #18   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM

I'm up to 160 lbs . On my way to classes yesterday I got three comments that I'm getting bigger. Also, the shirt I was wearing was feeling tighter... and I'm seeing more definition.
  #19   Add to zilcher's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM

zilcher is on a distinguished road
[COLOR=red]growinboy,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]get back to the university gym immediately. if that's all you can afford, that's the place for you...don't wait.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]if there are mean idiots there, you'll find there are cool, helpful lifters as well because there is good and bad everywhere.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]eat, eat, eat. train, train, train. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]we want to see you grow into your dream mr. bodybuilder.[/COLOR]
  #20   Add to falseyedee's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM

falseyedee is on a distinguished road
excellent progress! it takes time and dedication to build up the body. but if you keep at it, you'll succeed. peclets. i like that.

my new website: www.falseyedee.com

my new ebook, a short story, is available at amazon.com. all my books are at at amazon.com as both paperbacks and kindle ebooks:
http://astore.amazon.com/muscleficti...ail/1452858519

for nook users, all 3 of my short story collections are available as nook ebooks!

my first 3 books are available as PDF files at gumroad.com.

www.musclefiction.com
www.falseyedee.com
  #21   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Psyched....

Quote:
I'm up to 160 lbs . On my way to classes yesterday I got three comments that I'm getting bigger. Also, the shirt I was wearing was feeling tighter... and I'm seeing more definition.
Doesn't that psyche you up and really make you want to push the weight when you get those comments? So cool!

Yes, get back to that university gym, and again, DO NOT PAY THOSE MORONS ANY ATTENTION!!! Your real battle is with the weights, and nothing else!

So, keep going and growing!

Good luck and peace!

D

P.S. pay less attention to the scale and more attention to your max lifts poundages.
  #22   Add to growingbigger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Growing Wolverine

growingbigger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks...it just sucks... I'm trying to gain...been eating a lot, lifting as much as I can... Why am I losing weight? It's ridiculous. And guys here in slc aren't into getting big...they all want to be skinny twinks, so yeah, would love to workout and eat with anyone passing through that could help.
You'll lose some fat along the way, too, you know. I also would not say that guys in slc are not into getting big since I'm one of them . I used to weigh 130 when I started--smaller than you. I'm now between 205-210, 6' tall.

Sounds like you're making progress so keep it up. You have to be consistent to make it work.
  #23   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM

lost most my gains... Been so busy with work and school that when I'm home all I do is sleep. I need to get back into it, and keep telling myself I'm going to--but inspiration is lacking...dammit...I wanna get big, but how am I to do that if I can't keep my eyes open
  #24   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
Sounds like you really need motivation and inspiration, but if you really need that much of both I question how much you really want this.

It's just that it's hard to fathom how you can't set aside 90 minutes per day (including travel time) to lift, especially since you're thin to begin with and don't have to concern yourself with much if any cardio. The university gym may be "meaner" because the playing field is a little higher (in that everyone using it is 18-22 and rarely in a mentoring frame of mind) but it is there for YOU too - you are subsidizing it and you should use it. You should be figuring out the off peak times. If you're really serious, you should train as soon as it opens (if that's at 6am). Anyone who lifts at 6am is serious, and if they're mean it's probably only because they're 18-22 and hungover while pressing 225lbs+ at 6:30am and it has nothing personal to do with you!

As far as eating, I'm assuming you're on a cafeteria meal plan? There are lots of healthy choices to stuff your face with if you're selective. And you can carry in a backpack Rubbermaid sip containers of protein powder (just add water and shake!) and poptop canned chicken to graze on throughout the day without offending anyone (don't even think of trying canned tuna, women are hardwired to react violently to the smell of tuna).

If you're willing to make a few sacrifices (like only staying out late Fri and Sat nights) there's no reason you can't be a muscular 200lbs by your senior year - if not sooner!

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle

Last edited by Eager Muscle; October 12th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
  #25   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Hey don't worry. If you really want it, you'll eventually easily fit it into your day.

Don't do it like me, though. Yesterday I got too little sleep and had too many classes to have energy to go to the gym, and today is normally a day of rest, because that's just easier on the schedule, and you need rest anyway. But, because I didn't go yesterday, I skipped a lecture in order to go to the gym to make up for it...

Anyway, it'll be a long process. I'm a skinny 6' guy who started at a third-world famine victim weight of 127 pounds. I'm now up at 143 pounds (at least, I was half a month ago, could be better now), and I'll have been working out for a year in a week's time. 16 pounds of muscle in a year ('cos my body still doesn't store fat, really... haha), not too bad, but hardly a supplement-ad miracle. Who knows, I'll be huge when I'm 30 or something. It gives me something to do for the next 10 years!
  #26   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Motivation, Shmo-tivation!

[QUOTE=Eager Muscle;83100]Sounds like you really need motivation and inspiration, but if you really need that much of both I question how much you really want this.

It's just that it's hard to fathom how you can't set aside 90 minutes per day (including travel time) to lift, .....

While you are logically correct,

MOTIVATION isn't LOGICAL!

Somedays you have it, somedays you don't! I've admired muscle ever since I was a teenager, but did not start lifting with any kind of consistency until well into my 40's!

I started at 6'3", 185# (in my 40's) and am now up to 208-211#, [from weighing 145# in high school] with a trim waist and good core torso strength and some noticeable muscle in my chest, arms, legs and back! It took a long time --- NO one in my life--not parents, not siblings, not friends, not co-workers, thinks lifting weights or wanting to get big muscles is normal or desireable. The emphasis was first on school, then work, then family responsibilities, then "settling down and getting serious" about life/job/relationships/children/etc.

In addtion, when I was in my 20s, only "weirdos" were into bodybuilding, no matter WHAT "Ahnuld" says. The fact that growingboysl has accomplished what he has-- I say, more power to him!

Motivation is elusive. Most of us aren't 20 somethings with enough disposable income and time and motivation and opportunity to build ourselves up into something impressive. Achilles notwithstanding -- do you think he would have caused as much of a stir as he has on this board and around the world (literally!) if more people could do what he did? Frankly, most people working as barristas barely have enough money to meet basic expenses, let alone gym memberships, internet connection charges and food, so he must be doing something right!

All of this is to say, I can understand why someone might not be able to "put aside 90 minutes to workout". Maybe it just isn't possible for them now.
However, as another poster on here said--if you want it badly enough, you'll get around to it! Better late than never!

Mdlftr
  #27   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
Motivation is elusive. Most of us aren't 20 somethings with enough disposable income and time and motivation and opportunity to build ourselves up into something impressive.

All of this is to say, I can understand why someone might not be able to "put aside 90 minutes to workout". Maybe it just isn't possible for them now.
However, as another poster on here said--if you want it badly enough, you'll get around to it! Better late than never!

Mdlftr
Yes it is. But I do have this to say...

Whoa whoa whoa! This 20-something knows that income and time is something very few of us really have anymore (stupid economy ). Disposable income, not really. I barely have enough to pay for college expenses, let alone a gym membership atm. I've been...reduced temporarily to my parents' Bowflex, which is better than nothing.

Not meaning to rant, but just figured I'd put that out there. I highly doubt there are few others my age who really got the money and time (once more, Achilles the exception) to do that.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #28   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
There's this Scooby guy on youtube who puts together very nice, cheap and funny home work-outs that anyone (who doesn't have a physical disability) can do. You just need a little creativity to get your work out if you don't have the money for the gym.

The problem with home work-outs is that you get distracted a lot easier with all those other things you have to do around the house. The positive thing is that you can squeeze it in your schedule a little easier 'cos you don't have the travelling to the gym, dressing up, etc. etc.
  #29   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
Hi there -

Congratulation on keeping the will to go on. Its definitely not easy, some days being harder than others but you should really take pride in the consistency! Something will come when you being to challenge yourself and you body.

By the way, I am curious if you keep a progress journal of yourself, It helps maintain focus and motivation as well as direction when you feel you need to take a step back and assess yourself and your workouts for personal results

---
  #30   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
I lifted all throughout college. Although I didn't have the perfect training plan, it was pretty decent. From freshman to junior year, I put on about 5-8lb of muscle each year.

Then I changed one thing. I started eating all the time. I finally followed the advice that I always knew and drank protein shakes between classes, cooked chicken the night before and snacked on it during the day, etc.

The result: in one year I put on 25lb of solid muscle with no roids and no supplements! My friends were absolutely shocked. I still went out, drank, had fun, went to class, and lived like a normal student.

Most younger guys are busting with testosterone. As long as you've got a decent split routine, and you can do it three times a week, that will be fine. Just concentrate on getting enough calories. You'll need to eat more than you ever thought possible - and train your body to absorb all the extra food and grow. It's a pain in the ass in college - but it's worth the effort.
  #31   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM

I'm back to lifting...but not gaining...losing weight. BLAH
  #32   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Well, with any luck, it's what ever bodyfat you had built up over that time off, keep at it!
  #33   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM

oh, and yeah i keep a progress journal...sad thing is is it doesn't show progress lol. Working on that.
  #34   Add to ldaniel13's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM

ldaniel13 is on a distinguished road
If you are still trying, here are a few suggestions from a former hard gainer. I gained about 40 pounds of muscle over this last year, and I thought that it would be nice to help someone that was in the same boat as I was. At 6' 1.5", I went from 152->192.

Here is what worked for me (everyone is slightly different):
-Eat at least every 3 hours and remember that you need both protein and carbs to grow. Fat is also a valuble source of calories. In order to get big, you have to eat more. PERIOD. If your body tells you that you are full, you will just have to ignore it.
-Higher weight, lower reps (about 5-8 range), 3 sets per exercise. 90-120 sec between sets. It is especially important to lift heavy for your larger muscle groups (chest, back, and legs). This will really help with your gains. However, don't make the weight too high or you won't be able to keep proper form and you could injure yourself.
-Don't do full body days. They just don't work because they put too much stress on the body in a short period of time. If your time is limited, divide the muscle groups (abs, arms, back, chest, shoulders, legs) into two days and alternate days (with a day of rest in between). It may seem like you are doing less work, but you will actually make more gains.
-Sleep 8-10 hrs/night
-If you do ANY cardio, stop. If you are lean already, you won't get fat as long as you are lifting properly. You can start again once you get some bulk on you.
-In addition, people in the gym may seem mean, but sometimes the act of lifting may just make them a little more aggressive and focused on themselves. Any meanness is probably accidental. They may also be rushed for time, which is common. I like working out at night instead of the morning. People have already been to school and work, and they are more happy to be at the gym, less rushed, and more willing to talk if you are having workout issues.
-My school gym is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I will be very sad when I graduate. Use it while it is available to you.

Have a Happy New Year, and Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options