The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to mslworshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2003, 05:29 PM

mslworshipper
Send a message via Yahoo to mslworshipper Send a message via Skype™ to mslworshipper
Unhappy Lost Motivation

I could use some advice and help. I have membership to a gym. I go for a couple months and then don't go. I have tried going early in the morning before I go to school (I'm a teacher.) I have tried to go after school, but I am so tired. I have a routine that the gym instructors gave me and seemed to work for a while..... As I go to the gym, I would see the same people. And everytime I see them, they seemed to be more bulky, defined or just bigger. I would think that would motivate me to do more, but it seems I lose motivation because I give up easily (half-empty) because I don't think I can be like these bodybuilders or models. I am currently 205+ lbs. at 5 feet 7 inches, mostly of flubber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2003, 06:19 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Feel free to contact me if you need help.
  #3   Add to lucas's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2003, 10:10 PM

lucas
Just keep going, try to focus on a week at a time. Five or six times a week, just concentrate in finishing the week. And each work out try to do your best... It works for me...
  #4   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2003, 03:42 PM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Thumbs up The longest journey begins with but a single step

First off, buddy, I congratulate you for getting to this point. As someone who actually has a gym membership and goes, even albeit occasionally, that's a lot better than many people manage.

Second off, be patient. I know that sounds like a cliche, but in my own experience, I've found that building muscle is a lot like any other relationship....there are ups and downs, times when you feel like you're moving well, times where you're moving, and times where you're going backward. For me, given my schedule and physiology, a ten-pound gain year is spectacular....for guys like hulkmuscle, they may gain ten pounds just LOOKING at a weight set. <g> But if I keep working and am patient, after four years, I'm forty pounds heavier than when I started. Get the idea?

Thirdly, be realistic. I doubt you're as bad as you think you are, but life and genetics are a lot like a poker game....the point is not to compare your hand with other peoples', but to play the cards you are dealt to win. If you focus on making yourself better like Lucas suggested, versus making yourself match other people, you will be much less prone to disappointment.

The point is this. You can dwell on what you are not, or you can take pride in what you are doing. I promise you, the latter is FAR more motivating than the former. <g>

Good luck!
  #5   Add to phoenix2003's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2003, 09:04 PM

phoenix2003
Send a message via ICQ to phoenix2003 Send a message via AIM to phoenix2003 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix2003
Mornings are the best time to train for lots of reasons.
Expect to take about 6 months of dedication before you will really start to see what you may be hoping for.
Change your excercises about by rotating the order you do them in each day as well as the days you do certsin excercises. Keep the body guessing.
Change your program no less than every 3 months.
The body adapts quickly and will always try and take the easy way out. Keep making it harder for it to adapt by changing things about.
Plenty of rest. Muscles only grow during rest!
Eat heaps if you want to gain weight. Eat clean as you can also.
It is HARD work but the rewards are worth all the sweat and pain.
  #6   Add to mslworshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:35 AM

mslworshipper
Send a message via Yahoo to mslworshipper Send a message via Skype™ to mslworshipper
Where and How do I begin?

I guess my next set of questions are; as well as the next step is How do I begin?
Where do I begin?
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:32 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Similar problem

Typically, I have a similar problem. I'll go to the gym for a week, maybe two, thenquit going for a while. This time, I am at three weeks, and I hope to keep it going. My main problem is that I am a great enabler. My friends will always call me if they want an excuse to justify something...

I think it is important to just keep going to the gym. If I can't work-out because I am too tired, I may just do a quick aerobic workout, or go to the hot-tub. At least if I am going to the gym, I am still going, and that keeps me in the habbit of going. I don't compare myself to other people at the gym, I only see the bigger, bulkier guys as motivation of how I can look if I keep going. Sure I've seen many guys zip right past me (in mass) if they keep going and I don't. However, I refuse to compare bodies since that won't do any good for anyone.

If you are not motivated, tell yourself that you are only going to see the sexxy (boys/girls/both) then keep yourself busy when you get their. Also, this site is really helping me stay motivated. I joined a month ago. A few days later, I made a free Geo-citties site, and linked it to my profile. I took some pictures w/ my digital camra, and edited-out any private bits (face, privates, etc.) so I won't be embaraced if some nieghbors, or family somehow finds them... Remember while you have them in a photo editing software, to scale their quality down to 72 DPI, since this is all a computer monitor will display. Now in 2 days I will need to take another set, since it will be a month later. I am hoping that if I take pic.s & post them each month, this will keep me motivated, and offer me a history if I every want/ need it.

I agree with an earlier post in this thread that monings are the best time. Morning workouts help you fell better all day. Also you've already achieved something good that day. Just remember to get to bed early. Even if that means taking 1/2 a sleeping pill for the first week of your new bed time. You must eat and sleep more when you exercise.

Also, so you've skipped a workout or two? Who cares, get right back on that horse! My mom is a member of Weight Watchers, and they say that if you acciedentaly pig-out and eat a weeks worth of points (how they count food) you haven't blown your diet, or even your day, only that meal! I think that is wonderfuly posotive.

Just keep going, and we'll be your cheer sqad!

Rah, rah, rah! Go team!
I'm off to the gym now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options