Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to joel911's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM

joel911 is on a distinguished road
Same sex marriages legal in Iowa

[COLOR=white]Same sex marriages are now legal in the State of Iowa! We are now the THIRD State in the Union that has said it's legal. How awesome is that? Today while I was at work in Iowa City, most people were excited or indifferent to the decision; excited because 75% of the US considers us in Iowa to be a bunch of uneducated hicks and this is awesome that we are in fact one of the most progressive States in the Union. The indifference was based on the fact that a lot of people consider the economy more important than whether two men or two women are getting legally married.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white]As for me, I think it?s awesome and I?m celebrating with some wine. Now if only I could get one of Bunkyboo?s Supastuds to marry me, I?d be a very happy man.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white]PS,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]Not only do we here in Iowa now allow same sex marriages, we?re also ranked THIRD in the nation for wind produced electricity.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white]Go Hawkeyes![/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
Now let's wait for it to get repealed.
  #3   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Quote:
The indifference was based on the fact that a lot of people consider the economy more important than whether two men or two women are getting legally married.
That's always been a sticking point for me, never really cared if the happy couple had a "matching pair" or not and I seriously doubt that the economy would collapse any worse if two guys or gals were to get hitched, putting the kibosh on that sure as hell hasn't helped things any now has it.

Quote:
excited because 75% of the US considers us in Iowa to be a bunch of uneducated hicks and this is awesome that we are in fact one of the most progressive States in the Union.
Hell, with the way some people think in more "urban" states, you'd think Iowa was a horrific desert made up of nothing of corn fields
  #4   Add to mlbjock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM

mlbjock
Send a message via AIM to mlbjock Send a message via Yahoo to mlbjock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
Now let's wait for it to get repealed.
Well you can't repeal a supreme court decision, but the legislature can attempt to amend the state constitution to limit the equal protection clause. The problem is in Iowa, like Mass, any constitutional amendment is required to pass two consecutive legislative sessions before being put to a referendum. I believe the right phase there is "good luck with that." Not every state is a nuts as Cali in allowing a slim majority to run over the minority.
  #5   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
NJ & NY will probably be the next to go. NJ already has civil unions, and in reality no distinction has ever been made, that i've encountered, with being "married". Tolkien said the rolling of small pebbles begins an avalanche.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #6   Add to andrewmoquin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM

andrewmoquin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel911 View Post
[COLOR=white]Same sex marriages are now legal in the State of Iowa! We are now the THIRD State in the Union that has said it's legal. How awesome is that? Today while I was at work in Iowa City, most people were excited or indifferent to the decision; excited because 75% of the US considers us in Iowa to be a bunch of uneducated hicks and this is awesome that we are in fact one of the most progressive States in the Union. The indifference was based on the fact that a lot of people consider the economy more important than whether two men or two women are getting legally married.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white]As for me, I think it?s awesome and I?m celebrating with some wine. Now if only I could get one of Bunkyboo?s Supastuds to marry me, I?d be a very happy man.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white]PS,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]Not only do we here in Iowa now allow same sex marriages, we?re also ranked THIRD in the nation for wind produced electricity.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=white]Go Hawkeyes![/COLOR]
You have to love the irony here. The State of Iowa states that gays have a constitutional right to marry. But the US Federal Government/IRS feels they don't. So now in Iowa gay couples can marry and not pay a federal marriage tax but straight couples in Iowa will.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options