The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
gym experiences

Hey there guys,

Thought I would post a few thoughts to see if anyone else has had some similar experiences they might want to share. Let's get the ball rolling.

I'm 6'3" and 233# at the moment, which isn't huge yet, but it's defeinitely bigger than the 185# I started at 5 years ago. And it makes for some interesting gym experiences.

I typically train at the "big-boy gyms," where there are lots of guys bigger and stronger than me, because I find it inspiring for my own lifting. But yesterday I happened to work out at a more fitness-oriented gym with a friend and found myself to be one of the biggest guys on the floor.

Now I hadn't noticed this particularly until another guy about my size came on and set up to do some curls on the rack next to me. And I noticed him doing that alpha-male thing: checking me out, trying to decide if I was bigger than him, puffing up a bit, giving me the occasional dirty look. And while it was definitely kind of funny, there was a way in which I enjoyed it as well. It felt good to be the big guy, and it gave me a bit of a charge that I could use in my workout to push harder, lift heavier, and GROW.

Of course, today I'll be back at the bottom of the totem pole at my gym where the guys are all a lot bigger than me. But it was fun to see the other side of the coin for a day.

Anyone else have any experiences along those lines?

-- massingUP
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to myophile's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:48 PM

myophile
Send a message via Yahoo to myophile
hey man, sounds like fun.

i'm certainly not big yet - 225 / 6'2 - but i'm anxious to have that kind of experience. i often go to the gym (which has a pretty diverse mix of people, and isnt really hardcore at all) later in the evenings. often there are a couple of bigger guys and then "the rest of us". once in awhile, i'll look around and think, "hey, i'm like the biggest guy in here!"

it is kind of exciting, but, again, i can't wait until i have the "biggest guy in the gym" feeling no matter what gym i'm in.
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Of course, I've been telling this to MassingUp for sometime, he just never listens to me! I'm glad he's finally figured it out on his own! :-)

xoxo

rpj
  #4   Add to myophile's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM

myophile
Send a message via Yahoo to myophile
yeah, no kidding. you're lookin big, man!
  #5   Add to bigbiceps's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2003, 04:30 PM

bigbiceps
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbiceps
wow, huge, yea

So, if you're over 6' and over 220lbs you're big, maybe not huge, but definitely pretty darn big. What are your goals, and when you achieve them where are you going to get clothes?

Keep working out!!
  #6   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2003, 04:40 PM

tall vs. big

hey there bigbiceps,

Well, you're right that I'm not small. And in fact, I'm 6'3" and 235# or so, so I'm kinda "big" in the grand scheme of things.

But at that height/weight, I don't yet have the thickly-muscled look that I associate with the particular kind of muscular/bodybuilder bigness that I'm shooting for. I see guys who are 5'8" and 205# and they are, in eyes, far "bigger" than I am, in terms of their musculature, despite the fact that I'm taller. Height is not the same as bigness for me, and the taller you are, the more muscle-mass you need to carry in order to be truly "big." It's all a matter of proportionality.

But as I creep up towards 240 and perhaps eventually 250 and beyond, I will start to get that shape of "bigness." And I'll happily put up with the difficulty in buying pants, shirts etc... In fact, I can still quite easily wear a Large or Extra Large shirt, so I've got a long way to grow before I run outta sizes. Pants are more difficult, because I have fairly big legs, but that's what baggy cuts were made for.

So, I'll just keep on growing.

-- massingUP

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #7   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2003, 05:52 PM

Growth moment

Figured I'd add a quick addendum here:

Had a very fun growth-moment on Monday at the gym. It was leg day and I was having a really intense workout. About 1/2 way through, I decided to hop on the scale to see if my weight had changed much from the day before.

It hadn't, but my legs were SO PUMPED that had some difficulty fitting both feet on the pad. Heh heh... I was really psyched and it got me going for the rest of my workout. Pushed it really hard, and I can barely walk today.

Anyways, figured I'd just take a moment to report an honest-to-god musclegrowth moment. Of course, both feet fit well on the scale today... but we'll see what happens next leg day!

-- massingUP

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:02 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Pics telll a difrent story.

Hey massingUP,
You may not think you are that large, with your muscles spead over a 6'3" frame, but your pictures on bigmuscle.com tell a difrent story. Your arms are quite large, and the rest of you is well developed as well. Even if these were pics of a 5'8" guy I'd say you should be proud. I hope you are back to walking soon! Extra Aminos, vitamins, and a little MSM alsways seem to help me recover faster. So does a good night's sleep. If they're that sore, maybe some ibuprophen could help too! Be proud that you're already pretty darn big, and soon your feet won't fit on the scale even before the leg workout!!!
  #9   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Gym Experiences

I was reading this thread and enjoying it, so I thought I'd add an experience of my own. As I think I've said before, I have a very light bone structure and a lightening-fast metabolism, so even though I'm tall, it's a real effort to add any weight at all, let alone muscle. Since I've always had a hard time adding muscle, I just got used to myself as "I am". Nevertheless, a few years ago, after I passed a "landmark" birthday (new decade, never mind which! <g>) I decided to get serious about working out.

I signed up with a trainer at the gym, reread "Ironman" for additional instruction, and Sam Fussell's "Muscle" [MAJOR Excellent book--about a classic ectomorph tall 6'4" guy who builds himself up to 250#--with pics before and after!] for inspiration, and started working out.

One exercise I always liked is anything involving triceps--don't know why, just like 'em. After a few weeks, I was taking a shower one morning, when I brushed my arm against the wall while reaching for the soap. Whoah! What's that--there's something on my arm! Something doesn't feel right! So I brush at my arm, and continue soaping up. When I reach down to put the soap back, I accidently bump my arm against the wall and get that feeling again--something's on the back of my arm--it doesn't feel right. So I look down, again, nothing there. Then it dawns on me---DUUUH. I'm feeling my arm! I've actually added some size to my triceps, and what I'm feeling is the mass of my larger triceps hitting the wall! When I realize this, I simultaneously feel stupid (DUH!) and great at the same time! (Snort! Pumped! RRRHH!)

Morale of this story: Maybe muscle growth DOES short out a few brain cells....? [All those idiot muscle man stories?] WHATEVER!
  #10   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:52 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Jr. giant

about 12 years ago, I was training at a different gym and turned around to see one of the guys I knew leading this giant towards the squat rack He had a flannel shirt and workboots on. We gotta be talking 6'5" or 6"6" at 250lbs built like a lumberjack - not a bodybuilder, but broad shoulders and thick looking legs. Later when I caught my friend at the water fountain, I asked who was that huge guy he was training with, he told me that he was just a teenager (I think he told me he was 17 or 18) and he had NEVER LIFTED WEIGHTS!!!
This kid was big enough to carry me and my friend both outside and he was only just starting into the weight training. I can only imagine what that kid looks like today (that is, if he kept training)
In the back of my mind, I want to believe he probably grew another inch or two and put on 100lbs of muscle. If he had the genetics to be that big without trying, then we are talking BIG!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options