The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2003, 05:09 AM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
trainer

if you can afford it, or save up for it like i did, a trainer really helps get past mental blocks.
i am training now with a trainer for 16 sessions, and the gains and progress
are incredible. anyone who has thought about buying roids should put that
idea away and get a REAL trainer, who can make you push your limits,
get into a "groove" in the gym, and do a proper diet.
i'm getting pretty fuckin' ripped now and it feels awesome to see my pecs
bulging out of my polo. fuck yeah

ps inspiration photo attached!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2003, 05:10 AM

polomuscle
Wink lol no it's not me...

no it's not my photo guys
  #3   Add to LanceFan2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 13th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Dream Weaver

LanceFan2001
Send a message via Yahoo to LanceFan2001
Cool

LOL!

I thought to myself OMFG!!!

Great "inspiration" pic PoloDude.. and I hope that the trainer works for you!!!

>>>Ikaika<<<
  #4   Add to mslworshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 13th, 2003, 08:06 PM

mslworshipper
Send a message via Yahoo to mslworshipper Send a message via Skype™ to mslworshipper
How Much?

I never thought about getting a trainer. And if I did, what do I look for with regards to the quality, and experience of the trainer?
  #5   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2003, 05:26 AM

polomuscle
trainer

look at the trainer's body. do you want your body to look like that?
you don't want someone who teaches you the wrong form, or who injures you. training is intelligent--it's not about force, forcing, pushing. It's about playing your edge and having a plan using periodization. see the book "serious strength training" by t. bompa.
any idiot can get a PT certification fairly quickly. you want someone who has advanced training certification. form, form, form. ask lots of questions and USE YOUR INSTINCTS. you will know if it's a good match.
also, if the trainer has huge pecs bulging out of his
Ralph Lauren polo shirt, and calls you "dude," then hire him.
whatever you do, stay away from roids.
  #6   Add to biguglymofo's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2003, 12:03 AM

biguglymofo
LMAO @ polodude. A good trainer doesn't always look big or ripped. I've known plenty of trainers who looked less than average that really know their shit....also anabolics also have their place and it's usually not at the beginning of training. I've never used them, but feel that if used carefully and if you do your research on them, you can minimize any danger to your body.
  #7   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:18 AM

polomuscle
ok dude

big ugly mo fo---good points you made.

still i would not hire a trainer who didn't look in shape! but of course you are right, there are trainers who don't look ripped but are good at what they do. remember Mickey Goldmill from the Rocky movies? "Come on, Rock!"

then as far as roids go--the whole point of my post was to say, hire a trainer and spend your money that way instead of doing roids. then you will see great results and won't be doing drugs. roids are for the big boys--serious pro bodybuilders who can't make further gains the natural way. even then, it's not good for your liver and it makes your balls shrink--ask your doctor! i don't think beginners, amateurs, or teens should be messing with that stuff.

trust me, if you are gonna blow your wad on roids, hire a trainer instead. you will be happy when, like i did, you begin to see your buff pecs and biceps bulging out of your AWESOME PREPPY RALPH LAUREN POLO SHIRT, DUDE!!!! it will make you BONED
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2003, 11:46 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I have seen lots of guys that look great from a distance. When they get close, you can see the tell-tale red marks of steriod use ALL OVER their backs. These guys look like s@*t! Unfortunately, they always will, since this is from permanate acne scars. I don't know why they always feel compelled to where sleeveless shirts that display their drug use. Also, life is short. Why would I want to harm my liver now, when I may want it in my 60s???
I'm sure their are lots of great trainers that may not look that impressive, but wouldn't it be better to get advice from someone that has actually built a body like you want yours to look like? In everyother aspect of life people want life experience. In personal training, that's called discrimination/ being shallow! Why is it any diffrent? Would you hire a carpenter that has never built anything for himself? I don't think so. The other thing I would look at is body-type. If you have a thin build, you should IMHO hire a trainer that has a thin build, and made the most of it. Same thing for other body types... Remember many gyms do their own, "Certification". I have talked to lots of people who have hurt themselves by following bad advice, from trainers that obviously don't work-out themselves... Buyer beware!
  #9   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:06 PM

polomuscle
hey

actually my trainer is a shirt, very thin, wiry, RIPPED black jamaican lesbian who would do well in a movie like "girl fight." she is hot and sexy, but looks nothing like me--my soccer player build, and buffed muscles. she is teaching me how to diet and tone though after my years of bulking. and it's working. i trust her because i know she knows how to take care of herself and like i said, from LOOKING at her you see excellent posture and FORM FORM FORM.
she is also a great friend---something that steroids can never be.
  #10   Add to biguglymofo's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:23 PM

biguglymofo
Honestly, I'd spend my money and time learning about proper nutrition and diet before I spend it on a one to one trainer. I also would research my trainer very carefully before I'd hire him or her. A lot of trainers just look good, and are very in tune with their bodies, but have little knowledge on manipulating the bodies of others. Furthermore, a trainer only requires certification...and the rigors of certification are variable. I trust a trainer with the certification AND A COLLEGE DEGREE. I think they have their place...and when I had to rehab an injury, it was a trainer...a very knowledgeable one...who got me back on track. I chose him because of his knowledge...not because of how he looked. It just turned out that his knowledge was reflected in his physique. We don't train one on one...he just explains things for me and works on diet and training programs...but we're never in the gym together. Going back to knowledge = how you look...again not true, take Lyle McDonald...the diet guru. The guy doesn't look incredible, yet he is one of the foremost authorities on dieting.

On the use of anabolics, well, yes, you use them when you can push yourself no further naturally, or when you're injured. That was my point. They're a final resort, should you choose to get that big or need aid in dieting down for a show.

And Brent...not all people who use AAS have acne scars on their backs, etc. If used in moderation and with proper post cycle treatment you really won't see any or little side effects. It's when they're abused and used extensively that you see the huge guts (from HGH) or the acne, or the gyno, or the balding. And yes, that would freak me out, and it's also why I'd be careful and use a cycle as a final resort.

Finally, Polodude, I hope you didn't take offense by my statement. I came across as a smug bastard...and well, while I am one, LOL I'm also not an asshole, and that was not what I intended to come off as. Hope this clears stuff up.

One last thing...I'd love for your short ripped black jamaican woman to put me through the ringer...she sounds hot. lol.
  #11   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:34 AM

polomuscle
ha ha

no i didn't think you were a jerk.
it is fun to post stuff here and have lively discussion.

my trainer knows anatomy, works as a nurse, went to massage therapy school, was in the air force, has trained for 15 years, etc. she is fairly knowlegable.

the main deal though is that she is tough and pushes me to my limits and beyond--every time we work out. we do things i know i couldn't do by myself. so the results i am seeing over a period of time are mind-blowing. i can't get over how fucking hot and buff i am getting. i'm not arrogant or smug either lol. so what if i like to stare at myself in the mirror all the time?
i love looking at my new pecs shoulders and bi's bulging out of my POLO!

and hey, if you want to help me get some gear mister big ugly mo fo, since it's so safe and doesnt cause acne, then i'll try it and see if you are right.
  #12   Add to mslworshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2003, 05:54 AM

mslworshipper
Send a message via Yahoo to mslworshipper Send a message via Skype™ to mslworshipper
Found a Site

I went onto gay.com There is a section on health and fitness. I went there and then saw a click to go to mygaytrainer.com I decided to try out their 10-day free trial. It is primarily of program that asks you questions about yourself, your goals and your measurement. Then the program gives you a workout routine and diet program as well. I will try this and see how it goes. The only thing I have to do now is get myself into the gym tomorrow. LOL I want to thank everyone who has be emailing me or responding to the threads. Thank you for helping.
  #13   Add to muscle_d_2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2003, 08:40 AM

muscle_d_2000
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_d_2000
Like any subject, be it steroids, trainers, diet, workout routines, one size does not fit all. All of these things need to be individualized and the way that happens is through trial and error combined with proper knowledge. It took me a while to get these things right, with the help of trainers (I had 2 both good), doing a whole lot of reading, and basically trying out different programs of diet and exercise. And when I finally hit the proverbial plateau after many years of weight training I started a cycle because I wanted to be bigger. It worked beautifully with no adverse side effects (well other than extreme horniness and I'm not sure this is even adverse) and after waiting a period of time after cycling down I will do it again. There's a lot of info out there some good some terrible. A fairly balanced look at steriods can be found in Anabolics 2002 available from Amazon.com.
  #14   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2003, 11:20 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
A little harsh

I probably came of a little harsh in my last post. I tend to be the sort of person that says their thoughts as they are forming. Then others can respond, and help me form my final opinion. Rather like a thread in a forum!
Anyways, I'm sure there are lots of fine ways to use anabolics, but I think many, many people abuse them instead.
I'm sure there are lots of great personal Trainers who don't look the way their clients want to. At my gym, there are lots of trainers that are really out of shape! A small ripped Jamacan lady that is well trained will get my business over a fat, out of shape guy that only passed a quicky test issued by the gym any day.
Thanx everyone for some great points!
  #15   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:16 PM

polomuscle
the point

my main point remains--if you want to make real, serious gains,
a trainer can be a very valuable asset. it's expensive, but works.
and when you start to see results, it is very, very exciting. especially if you are narcissistic and muscle-obsessed like me!
  #16   Add to fleXodus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2003, 11:43 PM
MuscleGrowth.org

fleXodus is on a distinguished road
great points

polodude:

Sounds like you're making great progress with a personal trainer. I was with a trainer a long while back and made good gains; about 15lbs of muscle in 3 months. My main problem was that this trainer told me what to do, but never really WHY I was doing it. Though having a trainer was great, I really didn't want to be dependent on him for too long (cha-CHING!), so I decided to learn as much as I can on my own about training and nutrition. I also became friends with some local competitive bodybuilders, one of them being a national-level natural competitor who's given me much guidance and advice. Being a sponge and learning all I could about bodybuilding made a big difference in my training --knowing exactly what mechanical and chemical forces involved in making my muscles grow.

I guess what I'm saying is, a trainer can be great, but if you have the motivation and know-how already you can just use the money on food, supplements, or books instead. (Or whatever you like to blow your extra cash on

Though I'm pro-choice when it comes to steroid use, I agree with what you say about young guys and beginners staying away from it. I'm still 22, so I have no intention of juicing anytime soon since my hormone levels are still pretty high at my age... and I'm probably not even gonna think about it till I've grown as much as I can naturally. Add a little bit of juice to an already solid foundation and the results can be fantastic. But as with most things in life, steroids are a calculated risk that people should make only when they're fully aware of its proper use and its benefits and potential consequences.

biguglymofo:
Quote:
A lot of trainers just look good, and are very in tune with their bodies, but have little knowledge on manipulating the bodies of others.
Biguglymofo: You bring up a great point as to why you shouldn't chose a trainer solely on the basis of how they look. There are a number of trainers out there who are genetically gifted and can gain muscle just by looking at a weight.... (well, not literally, but that'd certainly make for a hot muscle growth story, don't you think?)

and Polodude: You need to start posting your pics... i'm gettin all hot and bothered here.

- flex
  #17   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:28 AM

polomuscle
but....um.....those ARE my pics....yeah, that's the ticket....
  #18   Add to biguglymofo's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM

biguglymofo
Quote:
Originally posted by polodude
but....um.....those ARE my pics....yeah, that's the ticket....
LOL...dork...post 'em up.

*waits patiently*

still no pics.

*waits again*

nope...nothing

*is content with posting of other pics*

btw, I would never post my own because I'm chicken shit like that....but that doesn't mean I won't give you shit about not posting yours. I'm cool like that.
  #19   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:14 AM

polomuscle
more inspiration

guys i think you will be disappointed when i post my real pics....
but i'm working on it, working on it....
p.d.
  #20   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
As a personal trainer myself, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

First, I want to second the idea that hiring a trainer can be a great help to most people; hell, I'd hire one myself, but we're so damned expensive! LOL.

Seriously, you can save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort by hiring a trainer, and it need not break the bank. One way that a lot of my clients utilize me is, they hire me initially for ten sessions or so, then go off on thier own until they are ready for a new routine, then hire me again to design the routine for them and take them through it a few times. They repeat this pattern throughout the year, and it doesn't add-up to a huge amount. But it gives them the advantage of learing correct form, having enough supervision to avoid injuries, and new routines often enough so they don't plateau.

I encourage that approach because I would far rather have a client that trains with me only a couple dozen times a year and sticks with it than one who trains with me every time for four months, then drops out.

As far as what criteria to use in choosing a trainer, I wish I had a sure-fire formula, but there isn't one. Going by how a trainer looks is no help; a great physique is no indication of knowledge or ability to teach. Education isn't an infallible guide either; one can have all the book learning in the world and still not be any good at applying it in practice. A certification should be a minimum requirement, but is not in itself an guarantee either.

I have started having my clients write letters of recommendation, and this has been very useful. It is reassuring to see that others have found a trainer to be helpful.

But in the end, it comes down to personal chemistry between client and trainer. I fully admit that I have been far more useful to some clients than others, and this has everything to do with rapport. Sometimes people click, sometimes they don't, and in a situation as intimate as personal training, that is all-important.

So I would say, ask to see certifications and letters of recommendation if available, talk to other clients of the trainer, spend some time talking to him or her to get a sense of how you connect; make sure they understand your goals and needs and are willing to accomadate them; and then, if all seems well, give them a try. If it doesn't work out, you can always move on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options