The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Fantasies and Story Ideas
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Fantasies and Story Ideas Got a great idea for a muscle growth story or want to share some of your growth fantasies? Post them here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to muscleaddict564's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM

muscleaddict564 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else find 'muscle clichés' uncreative?

For example, "diamond calves", "mountain pecs", "tree trunk legs", "bull neck", "rock hard abs", "monster cock", and so on. It's like, a lot of authors use these clichés. Does anyone else find them rather bland?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Feel free to make suggestions!

xoxo

Richard
  #3   Add to Amazed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Amazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Amazed
Nope, I still get boned when I read 'em! And I'll throw in brick shithouse, pumped up, steel hard, big guns, and war chest!
  #4   Add to muscleaddict564's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
Feel free to make suggestions!

xoxo

Richard
Well, it just seems that people could describe their characteristics in a way that is unique to the character. For example, let's assume a story is about two teenagers. One is a football player, the other is a geek. The geek is describing the football player's muscles to his best friend. He says something like, "I get lost in his prismatic, ocean blue eyes. His beach blonde hair reminds me so much of my hometown in California, and who could forget the nice, thin layer of leg hair that he keeps so well? It's a miracle that I can get anything done in calculus, because the way he sits with his legs crossed makes his impossibly muscular calves pop out in an intimidating way. It's like he doesn't even notice that his quads nearly rip his jeans apart when he just barely moves his legs, or that he really ought to wear tank tops, because his biceps will eventually find a way out of that tight, black polo shirt." stuff like that :b
  #5   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Great work, Muscleaddict! I look forward to reading your stories!

xoxo

Richard
  #6   Add to muscleaddict564's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Great work, Muscleaddict! I look forward to reading your stories!
lol, I can't tell whether or not you were subtly hinting at something, or if you actually think I'm writing. I don't really write stories like you'd see here. I LOVE them, but I can't write them that well. I usually write gay teen romance stories. The one I'm writing now, "truth prevails", is about a Czech teenager that moved to America, and he and an American friend have sort of a thing going on. I'm only on the first chapter, as I usually wait for feedback before I continue stories. If you want to, you can read it the first chapter here. It will probably only contain a little muscle growth, as it's presumed that Jakub (the muscular Czech guy) is already muscular/strong enough. I get off on strong teens, don't ask why. If you do too, then you'll enjoy the story.
  #7   Add to BBMikeNJ's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM

BBMikeNJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BBMikeNJ Send a message via Yahoo to BBMikeNJ
I like the cliches because they make for such a fast visual. It helps when they come with some more descriptive elements, like "his 24" bull neck rolled with muscle on the nape, like stacked-up kielbasas, thick and hard".

But new phrases do help add spice to a story. Like, "his powerful neck merged with his traps like a thick ox yoke on top of his 4-foot wide shoulders".

Either way, if the character is doing 50-rep shrugs with 250lbs dumbbells, it works for me.
  #8   Add to Ogun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Flaming Dreamer

Ogun is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ogun Send a message via Skype™ to Ogun
There ARE cliches for a reason, but yeah, I do expect creativity asd well -if things get to repetitive it can get dull or annoying.

My Squiby!
php

My Brute! (non-Muxxu) http://perveron.mybrute.com
Muxxu info: RedCrab
  #9   Add to Jaypat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM

Jaypat will become famous soon enough
To Mr. Pot from Mr. Kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleaddict564 View Post
"I get lost in his prismatic, ocean blue eyes. His beach blonde hair reminds me so much of my hometown in California, and who could forget the nice, thin layer of leg hair that he keeps so well? It's a miracle that I can get anything done in calculus, because the way he sits with his legs crossed makes his impossibly muscular calves pop out in an intimidating way. It's like he doesn't even notice that his quads nearly rip his jeans apart when he just barely moves his legs, or that he really ought to wear tank tops, because his biceps will eventually find a way out of that tight, black polo shirt." stuff like that :b
First I think I need you to write a paragraph that is free of cliches like "ocean blue eyes", and "beach blond hair", and "impossibly muscular calves", and then get back to me.
  #10   Add to muscleaddict564's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypat View Post
First I think I need you to write a paragraph that is free of cliches like "ocean blue eyes", and "beach blond hair", and "impossibly muscular calves", and then get back to me.
I don't see how the first two are clichés, because they are both distinct hues.
  #11   Add to Jaypat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM

Jaypat will become famous soon enough
Oh yeah? Well...

A cliché is defined as: a phrase or word that has lost its original effectiveness or power from overuse.

Beach blond hair and ocean blue eyes are descriptions that fit the above definition. Whether or not they are distinct hues is irrelevant.

So there!
  #12   Add to muscleaddict564's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypat View Post
A cliché is defined as: a phrase or word that has lost its original effectiveness or power from overuse.

Beach blond hair and ocean blue eyes are descriptions that fit the above definition. Whether or not they are distinct hues is irrelevant.

So there!
I accept defeat.
I was trying to think of a good cliché to say that would mean that, but I couldn't think of one
  #13   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM

RPM is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RPM
The very nature of the cliche is that it's tired from excessive overuse, so yes I do, but even though an old English teacher has thoroughly beaten them out of me, I still prefer accuracy over originality, so I say write whatever's the most appropriate description and don't sacrifice an impressive but overused one for a ineffective but original one.
  #14   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Ya know, thinking about it some more, I'd like to suggest that with regards to erotica, and most of what gets posted here is, at least f.s.v.o erotica, that cliches play a very important role in heightening the sexual tension.

I don't know about you but just reading or hearing the following words tend to give me a little zing each time I see one of them:

big
built
beefy
hard
hairy
he-man
hunky
horny
hulking
masculine
mountainous
muscle
muscular
powerful
ripped
thick

The list goes on and on. As descriptors, they ALWAYS work for me. The question is whether the setting and characters are interesting / different enough to grab my attention.

Dos centavos, por favor...

xoox

Richard
  #15   Add to Amazed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM

Amazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Amazed
Agreed! In fact, I just got a rise in my Levis from perusing that short list. And there's nothing - and I mean nothing - like a built powerhouse uttering those phrases when referring to himself and flexing out his mass.
  #16   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
TeenMuscleGod

Quote:
lol, I can't tell whether or not you were subtly hinting at something, or if you actually think I'm writing. I don't really write stories like you'd see here. I LOVE them, but I can't write them that well. I usually write gay teen romance stories. The one I'm writing now, "truth prevails", is about a Czech teenager that moved to America, and he and an American friend have sort of a thing going on. I'm only on the first chapter, as I usually wait for feedback before I continue stories. If you want to, you can read it the first chapter here. It will probably only contain a little muscle growth, as it's presumed that Jakub (the muscular Czech guy) is already muscular/strong enough. I get off on strong teens, don't ask why. If you do too, then you'll enjoy the story.
Yea I could definately tell you wrote romance stuff. That whole paragraph was super poetic and just really not a turn on. I think we use Mountainous Pecs and Other Bold words because there raw and intimidating. There is only so many words in the dictionary and were describing the same stuff, muscle. There's only going to be so many ways to describe pecs, or so many ways to describe biceps. Also there is some words I have tried using in my stories but they just don't work. Like Titanic.. Its meaning is huge and powerful, but obviously when you see the word we all think of the ship that sank lol

And Amazed I totally agree with you, I got a rise to looking at those words.. mmm
  #17   Add to Rowan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rowan
Quote:
Ya know, thinking about it some more, I'd like to suggest that with regards to erotica, and most of what gets posted here is, at least f.s.v.o erotica, that cliches play a very important role in heightening the sexual tension.
What does f.s.v.o. mean?

I've probably used "Rock hard abs" in all my stories. Can't help. Love the phrase so much.

"And so, may Evil beware and may Good dress warmly and eat lots of fresh vegetables."
-The Tick
  #18   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM

Sorry, I let that one slip in from my soc.motss days; "f.s.v.o." = for some value of.

xoxo

Richard
  #19   Add to Rowan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rowan
Ah. Thank you.

"And so, may Evil beware and may Good dress warmly and eat lots of fresh vegetables."
-The Tick
  #20   Add to chr1s_87's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM

chr1s_87 is on a distinguished road
Yep. I like the muscle cliches. For some reason, "ocean blue eyes" and "beach blond hair" strike negative notes with me. Muscle fetish stories have to strike at something primal inside, and the bluntest words, even though often cliched, do the trick. Poetry takes me out of it.
  #21   Add to Demandred's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Imagineer

Demandred is on a distinguished road
I don't care if it's a cliche or not, if someone writes about a guy's "rock hard abs", "monster cock" or "heaving chest", then as long as I get something out of it then that's fine by me! Sure, some "original" turns of phrase can be the most memorable, but I'm not on here for a creative writing class (and I don't write quite as meticulously as I would for my course either). I'm here to enjoy stories about muscle growth, so bring on the descriptions so I can appreciate the muscle all the more.

- Dem

- Shamshad Khan
  #22   Add to lead guitarist's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM

lead guitarist
I think we have to keep in mind that, in stories like these, we are not trying to appeal to our internal literary critic. We are not writing for each other’s intellect, heart, or soul. We are writing to appeal to our libidos. We are writing to get our cocks hard. This stuff is, essentially, wank fantasy. So, as far as I’m concerned, clichés don’t matter. When we describe bulging biceps, we tend to use the whole thesaurus: big, huge, enormous, gigantic, massive, etc. This is just fine by me. Words like that stir my cock. Phrases like “gigantic biceps bursting with power” may be clichés in this genre, but I still like reading them!
  #23   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
When it comes down to it, this is genre fiction and genres all have cliches, but they can work when placed in the right context.

I like to think about it in terms of movies - let's say "The Maltese Falcon" or "The Big Sleep". Those movies are full of cliches, but they work because you've got a skillful writer, director and actors that bring something new to the table with the atmosphere and characters.

Like someone else mentioned, they're a kind of shorthand. You read a description or phrase and it lets the reader use their imagination a bit. Everyone's going to imagine what the characters look like and the scene. The key is just to give enough detail to work with and spark the imagination. When you're writing, it's a tough balancing act between saying too much and saying too little.

What gets me are stories that have no conflict or real story to speak of, just one sex or muscle growth scene after another.
  #24   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf64 View Post
What gets me are stories that have no conflict or real story to speak of, just one sex or muscle growth scene after another.
I can only say one thing:

Guilty, your honor, guilty as charged!

xoxo

Richard
  #25   Add to hickory's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM

hickory is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For example, "diamond calves", "mountain pecs", "tree trunk legs", "bull neck", "rock hard abs", "monster cock", and so on. It's like, a lot of authors use these clichés. Does anyone else find them rather bland?
Yes, but I'm willing to forgive it in this particular context. I mean, at the end of the day what we have here are a bunch of mostly amateur authors writing erotica. It's unrealistic to expect stirring metaphors and engrossing descriptions. In many cases I suspect this to be the extent of writing most of these authors ever do, so it's natural that they appeal to common and recurring imagery that they themselves encounter in the work they read. That, I don't really have a problem with. I have on occasion come across pieces (I'm mostly referring to entries at CYOC) that are so poorly written that they pull me completely out of the moment, and that's always a real piss-off when you've got the juices flowing already, but it's bound to happen.
  #26   Add to Phlex's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Phlex
Note also that a lot of these familiar phrases ('diamond calves', 'washboard abs') were established as standard descriptions, or clichés if you wish, by the writing in bodybuilding magazines, and I mean the otherwise homophobic publications of Joe Weider and Bob Hoffman.
  #27   Add to beeflover2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM

beeflover2001
Quote:
I don't know about you but just reading or hearing the following words tend to give me a little zing each time I see one of them:

big
built
beefy
hard
hairy
he-man
hunky
horny
hulking
masculine
mountainous
muscle
muscular
powerful
ripped
thick
Well, that list made my nipples throb.

I haven't written any muscle erotica for a long time, but I know I've used cliches like "flexed into solid rock," along with other descriptors like "mammoth" and "massive" and lots of "dirty" talk.
  #28   Add to elysiumfields's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM

elysiumfields is on a distinguished road
It all depends on how articulate the storyteller is at crafting his [or her] muscle stories for us to enjoy. Some folks,especially some of the members who write multiple chapter stories ie novella's, can be more literarily gifted with their choice of words to describe a persons muscle growth or sexual situations. I like reading up the basic descriptive words used in muscle/sex situations. Its more of the typical common [lower middle class] jock type language, let alone making the 'scene' more sexually arousing to read. If i decide to write a story i try and use the words i know best and find a turn on descriptively..and largely i don't get long words, thats why i tend to limit myself to short stories..

For Example:..

" I tried to maintain my composure as the hot 'stud' pushing the boat along with the punting pole began to swell with muscle in front of me..
With every push down on the pole into the water,his flat pale chest grew wider as his barely noticeable pectoral muscles 'surged' with increasing thickness and grew bigger still into highly arousing 'bulging mounds',capped with 'juicy' nipples that 'perked' up a little harder as the growth of his 'heaving' chest pointed them slightly southwards.
Oh, and those arms..holy shit..!. Muscles 'rippling and pulsing' as they grew thicker,..veins 'pumping' along his foreams and biceps,almost seemingly 'feeding' more growth into his muscles as he dug the pole down into the river bed and pushed the boat forward with strength that increased with his muscle growth.
My face must have been blushing scarlet 'coz the 'hunk' noticed,smiled wryly down at me and responded by raising one arm up in a masterful bicep flex,showing off his bicep as it 'bulged insanely' in size,veins streaking across its 'burgeoning' size as it took on huge proportions as thick as a 'cannonball'........."

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/...f6225a3711.jpg

That is the way of writing that i find deeply homo-erotic,especially when you can imagine the guy the growth is happening to.

Last edited by elysiumfields; November 1st, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
  #29   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
I'm new at posting stories myself but one thing that I feel is important is pacing. If your characters are in a slow romantic walk on the beach grandiose dialogue is wonderful because you are not going fast. If your character suddenly finds himself surrounded by a dozen muscle men in speedos and an orgy ensues; then perhaps big words will only slow down the action. I like big words but the best words are the ones that you use correctly. I still find my self wondering what words mean in their actual definition not just common usage. Technical jargon varies from field to field in science but most people know what what a beaker or flask is. Not a lot of people may know that the person who spins the roulette wheel in a casino is a stochastic technician. If I have to figure out the meanings all throughout the story it bogs down the action. This is just a thought and no criticism of anyone's actual writing. I like a lot of different story types myself so keep them coming at me! Peace!
  #30   Add to Peter 2636's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Peter 2636 is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter much to me that the story writers here use cliches. Bad grammar such as using than instead of then (...he went up the stairs than he turned right) or gross misspellings (He touched the incrreddibley huge pecs...) and badly worded sentences (He switch back to blond man that done a turn.) make me stop reading the story. I know that everyone makes mistakes and it is hard to proof read your own work but there are spelling and grammar checkers on most word processors. Of course anything used to excess like cliches is annoying especially when a cliche is used for every body part all in one sentence. (His traps were mountainous, his delts were like basketballs, his biceps were like watermelons, his forearm was as big as a normal man's thigh, his abs were like a washboard, his pecs, oh my god his pecs were slabs of granite with a cleft six inches deep, and his legs were like tree trunks...)

Peter
  #31   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
This sounds like a job for.....

Cliche Man!!

I propose that we have a contest {sort of like the Edward Bulwar Lytton contest} to pick the most overwrought, cliched, cornball sentence (or two or three) in a bodybuilding story.

Here, I'll get us started.....

Lance Fairclout paused in his 56th set of grueling bench presses to rack the weight and draw one heavily muscled forearm across his broad, sweaty brow.

His forearm was meaty and thick, bristling with size and power, and popping with veins. Not like the veins of a scrawny, underweight, diseased heroin addict wrapping a rubber band around his stick like, bruised thin arms before giving himself another shot of life draining poison, but, rather, veins like fire hoses, swelling and jerking with hundreds of pounds of pressure as they priapically spurted a geyer of water on a raging inferno which threatened to consume a city.

No, Lance's heavily veined forearms were like piano legs, swelling at the top and tapering down to a thick symphony of sinew and gristle and bone which ended in thick, meaty, hands.

His hands were like catcher's mitts, padded and pumped and swollen with thick, calloused muscle, as each thick, muscular sausage-sized finger curled around the bar with a firm grip, like the grip of a drowning man on a life preserver, like the grip of an accountant on a tax deduction, like the grip of a horny 15-year-old on his hot tube steak as he pleasured himself into mindless frenzy.

Lance heaved his heavy torso up off the bench and inhaled a tsunami of air into his cargo-sized chest. The cinderblock walls of the grotty old gym bulged slightly in his direction as he sucked air into his mountainous chest, like the surge of a nor-east'er over the Maine coast during a winter storm, like the howl of an air current blasting through icy mountain passes, like a tornado in a teacup.

Lance raised one meaty paw up to lovingly cup one of his massive pectorals and massage it with rough-gentle strokes. His pectorals had been compared to bags of cement on a wall, sides of beef on a slab, mountains, tits, muscle mammeries and man-boobs, but he preferred the term "prodigiously pumped pectorals". There was something about the puffing, pounding sound of pulsing "Ps" proceeding from his mouth that turned him on.

-------

Feel free to carry on from here...!

Mdlftr

#32   Add to Stoneman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Stoneman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneman
Oh man. So hard now, Mdlftr. Keep going!!!
  #33   Add to Daisuke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Daisuke is on a distinguished road
Are these examples really cliches? I always thought of them as a collective language we all speak. Yaoi fandoms have their own languages and the language used in hard sci fi would be different from the language used in high fantasy which would be different from the language used in urban fantasy, etc.

It's part of what makes MG a genre. One of those "you might not be able to put your finger on it but know it when you read it kind of things."
  #34   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Stoneman, Daisuke...C'mon!!

You KNOW what I wrote was a total put-on, Right?!!

I mean, the entire thread is about how stale and boring we find "muscle cliches"!!

Still...psst Stoneman...shoot me a few of your favorite ideas, and I'll see what I can do, cliche-wise!

Mdlftr
who can't believe anyone took this seriously!

#35   Add to rextorres's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM

rextorres is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to rextorres Send a message via AIM to rextorres Send a message via MSN to rextorres Send a message via Yahoo to rextorres Send a message via Skype™ to rextorres
If you complain about muscle cliches then please post a muscle growth story on here which doesn't use any cliches at all, even though it describes muscle growth in complete detail. If you succeed, then you have every right to complain...
  #36   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM

Actually, people earn their right to complain as soon as they observe something worth pointing out.
  #37   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:41 AM

People can and do complain about anything and everything. It's hard to take their complaints seriously if complaining is the extent of their contributions! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #38   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Well, yes, if you mean "complaining" in its strictest definition. But this guy simply made an observation and asked a question regarding what others thought about it, and it got filed under "complaining", which seems to have expanded to mean "anything that isn't outright praise", so usually it just seems people don't like being told there's room for improvement and use "do better yourself" as a method of deference.
  #39   Add to Daisuke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Daisuke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
Stoneman, Daisuke...C'mon!!

You KNOW what I wrote was a total put-on, Right?!!

I mean, the entire thread is about how stale and boring we find "muscle cliches"!!

Still...psst Stoneman...shoot me a few of your favorite ideas, and I'll see what I can do, cliche-wise!

Mdlftr
who can't believe anyone took this seriously!

What I said wasn't a direct comment on what you wrote, Mdlftr, just my view on the subject of the thread itself, you know?

While I agree that taking certain phrases/words/adjectives to extreme overuse is usually bad, I also think we all tend to speak a communal language when we write these stories. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Last edited by Daisuke; November 17th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options