The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:21 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
L-Arganine

About a week ago, I ran out of Aminos. I went to Walgreen's to get my normal bottle of Amino Fuel (from Twin Lab) but they have stopped carrying Aminos period! After going to several Walgreen's stores, I decided to try a GNC. The girl at GNC was very helpful (unlike anyone at any Walgreen's) and she also suggested some straight L-Arganine. She said that it helps you continuously feel pumped, and she was right! I have felt amazing since taking it! Apearantly it's what gives NO2 its properties, according to some articles I've read. It's the best $3 I've spent on a suplement, and I highly recamend it.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Question Supplements at GNC--Good? Bad? Suggestions for protein supplements?

Brent,
I'm glad to read of your experience at GNC. I've been meaning to go there for advice, since I need to get a new protein supplement, and my personal trainer won't/can't recommend one.
She did say that the folks at GNC could make recommendations, and that they were good.

[I guess PTs can't recommend supplements, because they aren't dieticians, so they could get in trouble if a client took their advice and had problems.]

What have you tried in the way of protein supplements? I understand that protein supplements are a good thing, especially right after (within an hour ) a workout, since it gives your muscles some growth fuel right after they've been worked. [What about whey? Don't know anything about it, just heard about it.]

I originally got protein bars (25 g protein) by Myoplex "EAS Deluxe Myoplex Bars" and liked 'em. My PT suggested that I try the protein drinks, because they are less expensive, and have much less sugar and fat. Whatever I end up with, I will probably buy the first batch at GNC, then go on the web and buy it at dpsnutrition.net. They have good prices (1/2 of the store) and they ship almost the same day.

I'd appreciate thoughts/comments from you experienced guys out there who have tried protein drinks, had good results (gained muscle!) and have some suggestions.
Thanks!

Keep lifting!

MDLFTR
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Protien Supplements

I usualy only use an Amino Acid supplement. I think it'll give my body an array of necissary building-blocks when it needs them, since I take the Aminos right after a workout, and then at night. I also recamend an good multivitamin & a good multimineral at night.
As for the Amino Acids, I use a supplement that has all essential & non essential AAs. It would also probably be good to get a separate one with the Branch Chain AAs. You can get a list that has that has all essential & non essential AAs on a flyer at GNC, then go to the health food section of your local supermarket, or discount health food store & get a good supplement at a fraction of GNC's price.
I also like Genisoy bars. They have a lot of soy protien, carbs for energy, and they taste great. You can buy them for about $0.79 @ Trader Joe's, and $0.66 @ Target.
I haven't tried whey shakes since I live in an old house with no dishwasher, & they tend to be messy.
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Question Protein supplement v amino acid supplement--what's the dif?

Brent,
What's the difference between an amino acid supplement and a protein supplement? Is one better than the other? WHat do they each do? I thought protein supplements promoted muscle growth and size (which we all want). What do AAs do?

Why would someone want one instead of the other?

Tx

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Protiens are Made up From Amino Acids.

Your body contains many diffrent types of proteins, and each protien is made from a difrent list of amino acids. I'm not a doctor, so I can't get too technical, but this is what I have learned: When you eat protien, your body breaks it down into its amino acids that it was made from. Then your body takes those amino acids, and builds the protiens that it needs to build/ repair diffrents cells. This is how it can take the milk of a cow, and turn it into human muscle. Think of AAs as the building blocks of a protien. By taking aminos, you bypass the first half of this process, and you system can imediately get to assembling what it needs. That is why I believe aminos are better (post workout) than a protien source like whey-powder, or a steak, or tofu. Of course you are going to need more than the little bit in a pill, so you will also want protien in your diet. I use the AAs as a suplement. Like with vitamins; I'd like to think my diet meets all my needs, but it may not, so I'll suplement it to fill in the gaps.

As for protien sources, there is always plenty of room for debate. Some people think plant-based protiens are more easily broken-down, and therefore more useful. Others think that since plant-based protiens (except soy & hemp) are 'incomplete protiens' (meaning they don't have all the essential AAs humans need) they are not as useful. People from the first camp will counter than since your body stores AAs for 8 hours, you merely need to eat any combination that will result in a 'complete protien'. Many people in bodybuilding circles think that whey protien is the way (pardon my pun) to go. As an animal protien, it is complete, and it seems to be the most easily broken-down animal based protien known.

Who's right, and who's wrong? I don't know, but it seems to me that an AA suplement, followed by a meal should saffice after a workout. As with any health information, theories change all the time... So, use a healthy dose of common scence, and avoid trendy info. If anyone on this board would like to correct/ add to any thing I've said, please do.

Good luck getting good information, it's hard to find. Just remember that stores will have a lot of information, but lots of it may be biased. Always act like you are in college, and can't afford much, but you've also started a bodybuilding program. That way the sales staff should direct you tward the basics you need. I am currently in college, but even when I get out I'll still use that excuse- even when it becomes a lie. It works!

Also remember that a baby is growing faster (for its size) than any bodybuilder, and breast milk is only 5% protien. White rice is 6% protien, so if you eat, you'll get enough. I just use AAs to fill in any possible gaps in my diet, and suply my body right after I lift. I'm making steady progress, so I believe this works.
  #6   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:59 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
Thumbs up

I think, in general, it is better to use a protein supplement as it has a broader source of amino acids. I avoid plant based proteins, especially soy, as they tend contain other estrogenic compounds. The generic recommendation is 1.0-1.5 grams/lb of protein if you are trying to gain lean mass; anything higher has never shown to be beneficial in controlled trials although many go much higher into the 2-4 g/lb range. Therefore, if you wanted to be 210 you should be consuming 210 grams of protein every day. I am on a bulking cycle and get 375 grams QD which would be impossible w/o supplements. I like optimum nutrition 100% whey protein--it's cheap, mixes in 3/4 cup of water w/o a blender, and tastes good especially the vanilla ice cream. You can find a 5 pound bucket on the web for about $24.
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Supplements

Brent and BuffDoc

Thanks for your respective comments. I'm off to GNC to see what I can find and give it a try......

Keep lifiting and growing!

Mdlftr
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:29 PM

Re: Supplements

Quote:
Originally posted by Mdlftr
Thanks for your respective comments. I'm off to GNC to see what I can find and give it a try......

Keep lifiting and growing!
Mdlftr

Good, I gave my perspective, and BuffDoc also gave some good points. My basic point is that it is hard to find hard facts in something so subjective. Every body is diffrent, just stay motivated & keep lifting.

Good Luck!

-Brent.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options