Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:38 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Question Where did everyone go?

Up untill a few weeks ago, this forum had lots of people actively posting. Now it seems a bit lonely, IMHO. Is this my imagination?
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Where is everyone?

Hi Brent,
I've been wondering the same thing.....

I suspect it's a natural lull, since it's the beginning of summer season, people are in transition from school to work to vacation to wherever.

In addition, we are all checking ourselves out and getting ready for the "buff summer bod'" look! [Still have a ways to go, but this site keeps me motivated!]

I agree that I would love to hear some progress reports from some of the folks here, like massinup, muscled2000, flexodus, etc. etc.

That is NOT to put anyone on the spot! Just that I (and probably lots of us) are very motivated by your progress, and would like to see/hear how it's going.
Personally, I've been around 200-203# for the last two-three months, and I think I need to
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:34 AM

continuation

[...sorry about that...overactive return key!

As I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself,]

I need to increase my protein intake (hello dpsnutrition.net)

and get more rest (to grow!)

Workouts are being pretty consistent, I feel stronger, waist is continuing to shrink, arms, chest legs and back are getting thicker (at least from what I can tell) but there aren't any big number changes to report ----yet! There will be, eventually, but D---N the waiting is a pain!

Keep lifting!

Mdlftr
  #4   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
It is pretty dead of late....

I had hoped to get myself cut down to <10%fat for summer I didn't make it but I'm hoping to see it by the end... I've come a long way and I'm finally goning to get the "jockish" bod I dreamed of... I'm getting close... Just need to keep the cardio up and the abs will be there... I can't wait for that day...

Ender--
  #5   Add to muscle_d_2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:06 AM

muscle_d_2000
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_d_2000
I'm right here guys...post cycle and hitting the cardio pretty hard to wear those speedos on the beach this weekend (Lake Michigan)...I'm down about 10 pounds from my high of 262 but it's all about cutting up for the next couple of months until mid-August when the next cycle begins (goal 275). Good to hear about everybody's progress...just think about all the cummulative muscle this group is gaining!!
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Thumbs up Good.

I'm glad everyone (most of us anyway) are still here. I have suspected the whole "Summer thing" was responcible. I hear it is already getting nice in many parts of the country- hell, we even had a day without rain last week! (A day without rain in Portland, OR, does that constitute a drought???) Oh well, time to think about Summer, it may come, eventualy.

I'm feeling fat, and will start cutting tomorrow. I wanted to keep bulking, but my pants have started getting tight, and I'm too damned cheap to buy bigger ones (I blame squats). I will keep the weight-training & protien up, I'll just add cardio back in, and subtract beer & sugar. I don't need a, "Summer-body" since I'm in a realationship of nearly 9 years. I'm just building the body I've always wanted to have.

Stay active: here, and in the gym. Brent
  #7   Add to Jace's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Jace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jace
Blah!

I'm new here! But Hello!!! =)

Love this site! I hope you are all doing good! Let's get talking about some ripping muscles!!!!!!!!!!

Jace[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=purple][SIZE=3]
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Re: Blah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jace
Let's get talking about some ripping muscles!!!!!!!!!!

Jace
Sounds good to me! Most of the times I check, there are no new posts
Hopefully. you'l help me in getting this party restarted.
  #9   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by brent
Sounds good to me! Most of the times I check, there are no new posts
Hopefully. you'l help me in getting this party restarted.
Same here

Any one have some thing to say... I spend a good bit of time over at bodybuilding.com... I'm trying to be a "born-again-jock" ie a flabby nerdish guy that finally got his act together enough to stop dreaming about getting lean and muscular and started to make the dream a reality...

I'm down to ~180lb @16% fat... not great but I was 260lb two years ago and a year ago when I startd to workout seriously I was 220lb @ 34% fat I think I doing pretty well... I don't ripple much yet but I've got pretty good definition (for my %fat) through my arms shoulders and back. And there just a hint of abs starting to peek out... The guy that looks back from the mirror is finally starting to get a good masculine build on him...

Ender
  #10   Add to Jace's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:00 PM

Jace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jace
Exclamation Still part of the blah

Well, I'm TRYING to get motivated on working out. I'm diabetic. Found out last June. But I have yet to do anything with myself. You'd think something like that would get someone like me to get off his ass and actually make his fantasy come true.

I take my hats off to anyone who actually goes for it. I want to, but what's the use of wanting if you don't do it![B]

So anyway.....I've tried to write stories for this site, my newest creation is Blood Moon...but I think I'm not getting anywhere. Not many respond to my stories...so it only leads me to believe that I don't have enough talent to do this. But, I guess each to his own.

Okay..enough about 'lil ol me! =)

Have any of you guys written a story on here?
  #11   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 26th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Hi Jace--

Getting motivated is the key to actually making a change... If you want some help PM me and we can talk. I'll look foryour story and like you know what I think... My creatuveity is in designing systems and not dreaming up stories but I wish I could sometimes...

Ender--
  #12   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Motivation

Hi Jace and everyone,

Motivation is a big question for all of us. It's what separates "I wanna/ I wish/why don't I..?" from "I can/ I will/ I am"

Motivation comes from many sources, and changes over time. For those of us who played sports in school, maybe our coaches "forced" us to work out as preparation for the team. After a while, the motivation of wanting to be on the team and play can get supplemented by "D-mn! I LIKE looking buff!"

Personally, I had a bad back injury and had to take exercise rehab with a PT. After the PT kept saying, "Wow! You're a lot stronger than you look!" and my realizing that this "working out" business really wasn't that hard, I got motivated. Key to that motivation was my realizing two things: 1. Working out is a self-adjusted thing--it doesn't have to (and shouldn't ) hurt, but it is progressive as you progress and 2. I LIKE the way bodybuilders look, and I'd like to see what I can do with my own body to help it look like that!

For motivation, there's this site, "BigMuscle.Com" and others. Think about feeling and looking better for yourself--doing it because someone else "thinks you should" doesn't do it.

Good luck and get lifting!

Best,

Mdlftr
  #13   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Mdlftr, great post. Motivation is difficult, and I'm only now able to get it at 30. I admire anyone younger who can stick to a workout regimen. Also, bigmuscle is a great site, but I find tons of motivation here on the Evolution Forum too.

Jace, after reading your post, I went back and read "Blood Moon". It's a really good story, and I'm glad you wrote your post so that I did go back & read it. It was a little confusing going from part 1 to part 2, then I started to catch on to what was going on (I think). I like the fact that it made me think, which is not generally required much in today's world. I initially skipped it because the name made it seem like yet another werewolf story, and I like stories that stick to humans staying humans. Your story did involve werewolfs, but it was not, "Y et another werewolf story". It was very good, and others should read the whole sequence. I'm not good at feed back, since I think people mostly write for themselves.
I do hope you will find the motivation to make your fantasy come true. Do you have a gym membership?
If so, do you go? Even if it's just to go there at first, get in the habit of going.
Feel free to IM me when I'm online too. It should be at the bottom of my post.

Take Care All, Brent.

#14   Add to lead guitarist's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2003, 11:48 PM

lead guitarist
I'm glad guys here are discussing motivation. I, like many others, struggle with this.

I am nearly 42 years old, and until New Year's Day 2003 I was very fat. 5'10" and 256 pounds, with little muscle and less strength. I started working out using my roommate's weight machine and a barbell I bought, and I think I'm doing reasonably well. I have lost 30 pounds, gained a hell of a lot of strength, and acquired an actual V-taper in the past six months! I've gone from having my belly overhang my size 40 jeans to looking somewhat ok in size 36s.

While I regularly manage to find excuses to miss workouts, I have managed to maintain motivation overall by holding to one basic thought: When I am working out regularly, I KNOW that my body is improving steadily. At my age, that's a real turnaround. Instead of getting fatter, I KNOW that next week I'll be a little stronger and a little leaner than I am now. Instead of being weak, fat, and ugly for the rest of my life, I look forward to being strong, lean, and attractive, even (dare I say it?) sexy! Not this summer, but if I keep this up, I think I'll look pretty good in 2004!

The point is, when I'm working out, the present is better than the past, and the future is better than the present. THAT is what I love! The sense that life is getting better. When my body gets better, my whole life gets better. The last six months have taught me that. If I don't work out, that idea is replaced with the idea of life getting worse, and that leads to hopelessness.

I guess I'm not ready to go back to the hopelessness. Exercise is a small price to pay for the brightness ahead!

Sorry if I rambled on about the bloody obvious. Thanks for reading.
  #15   Add to rextorres's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 1st, 2003, 03:56 AM

rextorres is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to rextorres Send a message via AIM to rextorres Send a message via MSN to rextorres Send a message via Yahoo to rextorres Send a message via Skype™ to rextorres
Thanks for the inspirational note, LG

Hey LG, I couldn't agree with you more. For someone who often deels with depression and loneliness, it is so tempting to just stay home, lock myself up, sit behind the computer all day and feel down and miserable. I know that I fight that battle every day, and many others do, too.
Thanks for your encouraging post, I'll take it to heart! Isn't it cool how your words of wisdom can affect people across the country, thanks to the internet?
We need many more like you to post messages like these!
-Rex
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 1st, 2003, 12:33 PM

Re: Thanks for the inspirational note, LG

Quote:
Originally posted by rextorres
Hey LG, I couldn't agree with you more. For someone who often deels with depression and loneliness, it is so tempting to just stay home, lock myself up, sit behind the computer all day and feel down and miserable. I know that I fight that battle every day, and many others do, too.
Thanks for your encouraging post, I'll take it to heart! Isn't it cool how your words of wisdom can affect people across the country, thanks to the internet?
We need many more like you to post messages like these!
-Rex

I agree, you don't progress if you don't exercize. It's great to hear that people are turning their lives around!

LG: Have you Taken any before pics? It sounds like you have really come a long way. I bet some before / afters would be very motivational for you! If you haven't yet, take some while you are still loosing- you're already down to 36' after all! I think a didgital camera is the best motivator in the world since you can see your progress, and you don't have to worry about film developers. Also, stay active on this, and other sites like this one . The internet can be a huge motivator. Others can be a huge motivator. Just go and exercise! Get in motion & stay in motion. Feel free to AIM me if you need motivation.

RexTorres, I know the appeal of just sitting behind a computer screen. It's a lot easier to look at strong guys than it is to become one. I have waested many hours playing games like Civilization, or Alpha Centauri since it was easier to build a powerful empire than it is to build a powerful body. Now I try to just use the internet to get motivated (and motivate others) into the gym. That's the only way to improve. Think of it as your duty: how many years have you enjoyed looking at other people's bodys? Now return the favor, and give others something nice to look at!

Have fun, and stay motivated. Brent.
  #17   Add to lead guitarist's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM

lead guitarist
Hey, thanks, Rex and Brent!

No, I don't have any "before" pics. I do have a digital camera, though. But I'm a long way from wanting to use it on me!

I thought of taking some pics as I go. It might help me.

But another thing REALLY helps - when others notice and compliment you! I visited one of my company's clients today, and saw a couple of women who hadn't seen me for a couple of months. One of them just took one look at me and said "Wow! Have you ever lost weight! You look TERRIFIC!" The other just stood with her mouth hanging open!

Well, I don't look terrific yet, on any scale that readers of this board would recognize. But next to what I was, maybe I do!

NOW, I feel motivated to exercise so that I don't disappoint my clients! I almost feel like they're my fans now. I'd better keep improving!

And that's the whole thing. None of us can expect to do one workout and wake up the next morning looking like Mr. Olympia. And we shouldn't lose our motivation because of that. Instead of trying to BE Mr. Olympia (or whatever our musclebuilding goal is), and then being discouraged when we aren't, we should think in terms of BECOMING Mr. Olympia (or reaching whatever our goal is). Anyone who is working out regularly is BECOMING closer to their goal, and is therefore ACHIEVING! We are better every week! The ultimate goal will come whenever it comes. The IMMEDIATE goal, steady improvement, is being achieved all the time!

THAT is motivating, too!

Thanks again for your comments, guys. I really appreciate it!
  #18   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lead guitarist
Hey, thanks, Rex and Brent!

No, I don't have any "before" pics. I do have a digital camera, though. But I'm a long way from wanting to use it on me!
I ment for yourself, you can hide them deep on your harddrive...
Quote:

I thought of taking some pics as I go. It might help me.
See, that's what I'm talking about!
Quote:

But another thing REALLY helps - when others notice and compliment you! I visited one of my company's clients today, and saw a couple of women who hadn't seen me for a couple of months. One of them just took one look at me and said "Wow! Have you ever lost weight! You look TERRIFIC!" The other just stood with her mouth hanging open!
Congradulations on your improvement, it's obviously well deserved!
Quote:

Well, I don't look terrific yet, on any scale that readers of this board would recognize. But next to what I was, maybe I do!
We don't look like the guys in the stories we read in real-life (well I don't). We are all trying to improve ourselves, and we all start somewhere (which is better than never starting).
Quote:

NOW, I feel motivated to exercise so that I don't disappoint my clients! I almost feel like they're my fans now. I'd better keep improving!
It feels great when others notice your hard work. Do it for yourself, but enjoy the praise, and let it add fuel to your fire.
Quote:

And that's the whole thing. None of us can expect to do one workout and wake up the next morning looking like Mr. Olympia. And we shouldn't lose our motivation because of that. Instead of trying to BE Mr. Olympia (or whatever our musclebuilding goal is), and then being discouraged when we aren't, we should think in terms of BECOMING Mr. Olympia (or reaching whatever our goal is). Anyone who is working out regularly is BECOMING closer to their goal, and is therefore ACHIEVING! We are better every week! The ultimate goal will come whenever it comes. The IMMEDIATE goal, steady improvement, is being achieved all the time!

THAT is motivating, too!
Thanks again for your comments, guys. I really appreciate it!
If it were easy, we wouldn't need stories & morph videos. We'd look like that & live them! I'm glad you had your hard work recognized! Everyone that goes to the gym regularly is my hero. They may look fat, scrawny, or out of shape, to others, but they look better that they did a month ago, and that's what counts! I'll gladly offer motivation, because I know how hard it is to stay motivated. I'm proud of you for the changes you've made, and for the changes you will make. It might take years to get to your goal, but it's the journey that counts. As smome Chineese guy once said (its late) A journy of a thousand miles begins with one step. It sounds like you have taken a lot of steps. I'm glad to hear it's working. Keep-up the good work!
Brent

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options