The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 3.20 average. Display Modes
  #561   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM

bulkybud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoria21 View Post
i like reading these various scenarios you guys have shared. can't wait until I start getting reactions from people, particular friends who have only known me to look average
All I can say is that you will be surprised when it happens. You won't see any changes and someone will make a comment because they see what you don't.

And you'll be so pumped up to go back to the gym.

Bulkybud
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #562   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkybud View Post
All I can say is that you will be surprised when it happens. You won't see any changes and someone will make a comment because they see what you don't.

And you'll be so pumped up to go back to the gym.
Yesterday, I went back to the lake and was out on the boat swimming and fishing and was only wearing my swim suit. We brought the boat into the dock to pick up one of my nephew's friends (a pretty good lifter himself) who had not seen me since I started back to the gym. He seemed to do a double take but we just shook hands and headed back out on the lake.

No comments, no anything. I thought that when a fellow gym-rat doesn't say anything maybe I'm not making the gains I was hoping for.

So we went out on the boat, had a fun night, and caught a few fish.

Then today I got an email from him saying "it looks you've put on a lot of muscle mass."

That's about all it took- I'm SO psyched for benching tomorrow.

Bulkybud
  #563   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM

I was doing dishes with my brother-in-law when he said, "You're not as easy to work with in the kitchen as you used be."

I take pride in being a good cook and being a cooperative member of any kitchen staff, so I asked for an explanation.

"Your shoulders take up too much room, it's hard to share the sink."

I told him to get a bigger kitchen.

Bulkybud
  #564   Add to Doctor9's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Doctor9 is on a distinguished road
It always surprises me....

Given that I was a 6'1", 165-170lb near-twig for almost 2 decades, my brain still doesn't always register the fact that after a number of years of hard work, I'm now above 220 (and trying to get to 250), so people's comments out of the blue still surprise me.

My brother had me flex for him - he was amazed. He actually dragged his girlfriend over to see.

I got commented on by staff at my local burger king - they were near closing time and said, "Don't worry, with those arms, we wouldn't try to kick you out"

Not to mention not being recognized by a friend I hadn't seen in about 4 years - from the side he didn't know it was me - but I saw him, so let him know it was me. "I was looking for you, but I just saw this big guy"

I suppose if I'm going to keep working on bigger, I'll eventually get used to it, but I hope not

Doctor9
  #565   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor9 View Post
Not to mention not being recognized by a friend I hadn't seen in about 4 years - from the side he didn't know it was me - but I saw him, so let him know it was me. "I was looking for you, but I just saw this big guy"

I suppose if I'm going to keep working on bigger, I'll eventually get used to it, but I hope not

Doctor9
Being called the "big guy"...

I know I'm not used to it. But I like it.

Zeke
  #566   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:09 PM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor9 View Post
My brother had me flex for him - he was amazed. He actually dragged his girlfriend over to see.

I got commented on by staff at my local burger king - they were near closing time and said, "Don't worry, with those arms, we wouldn't try to kick you out"

Doctor9
Sweet recap, Doc...I also hope you never get used to it! Keep growin'
  #567   Add to Jaekel's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Jaekel is on a distinguished road
Surprise.

At a friend's house the other day, and was holding their child above my head, and his wife said "Look at his muscles!" Completely thrown, I had to set the baby down while I sputtered in surprise.
This evening I was at a gathering with friends, and one of them had seen a picture of me on facebook. Some questioned whether it was another asian they as a group knew, and he said, "No, 'J' (me) is buff. 'D' is fat."

I don't think I will ever get used to it. But I kind of like it. If they think I'm buff now, just wait until they see when I think I'm buff!

Last edited by Jaekel; July 31st, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
  #568   Add to TopHeavy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:05 AM

TopHeavy is on a distinguished road
I think that's right people close to you notice that you're getting bigger before you do.

I recently started a new job. There are 3 other guys with the same first name as me, so we each have a nickname. The name they chose for me was "Guns"! One guy said my arms were twice the size of his and he felt scared and inadequate. I don't want people to be scared of me, but boy do these compliments make me feel good.

Bulkybud - congrats on the trap development it really add to that bodybuilder look. But as for the idea that pecs can get hidden under fabric, well I don't think mine can! ;-)
  #569   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHeavy View Post
But as for the idea that pecs can get hidden under fabric, well I don't think mine can! ;-)
I think you're right on that one!

I've made some progress in the last year that people around me who see me every day don't seem to notice. But flew out to visit my brother who hadn't seen me in over a year and the first thing he did when he saw me in the airport was grab my arm and say, "You've been working out!"

I'll be seeing people next week who haven't seen me in a year. Looking forward to their reactions.

Bulkybud
  #570   Add to DragonKnight's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:22 AM

DragonKnight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DragonKnight
Got a pretty nice compliment. Guy noticed at the gym how much I was lifting and asked if I was or used to be a power lifter. Didn't have the heart to tell him I'm a geek and band nerd at heart that, when not studying, spends my time playing video games and reading fantasy among other nerd worthy activities xD
  #571   Add to geo07's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM

geo07 is on a distinguished road
I just got back from vacation visiting family in Florida; I hadn't seen most of them in about two years, long before I ever stepped foot in the gym. Because of that, a lot of them kept saying things along the lines of "You look good. What have you been doing?" and even one that was really impressed, particularly by my calves. She even called her mother (my aunt) over!

The other great thing that happened was while I was there, another of my cousins lent me his Bowflex so I could get some workouts in. Well, he left his workout log out, and when I looked at it, and it turns out I was using his maxes as warmups! He has always been something of a big brother to me, so it felt even better.

I'm not a big guy by any means yet, but after that trip, I know I'm on my way!
  #572   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKnight View Post
Got a pretty nice compliment. Guy noticed at the gym how much I was lifting and asked if I was or used to be a power lifter. Didn't have the heart to tell him I'm a geek and band nerd at heart that, when not studying, spends my time playing video games and reading fantasy among other nerd worthy activities xD
I get that from time to time too, kinda surprises people when I tell them that I just do this for fun
  #573   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo07 View Post
I just got back from vacation visiting family in Florida; I hadn't seen most of them in about two years, long before I ever stepped foot in the gym. Because of that, a lot of them kept saying things along the lines of "You look good. What have you been doing?" and even one that was really impressed, particularly by my calves. She even called her mother (my aunt) over!

The other great thing that happened was while I was there, another of my cousins lent me his Bowflex so I could get some workouts in. Well, he left his workout log out, and when I looked at it, and it turns out I was using his maxes as warmups! He has always been something of a big brother to me, so it felt even better.

I'm not a big guy by any means yet, but after that trip, I know I'm on my way!
Congratulations to you! Just wait 'til you see them again in two years!!
  #574   Add to Muscub's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Muscub is on a distinguished road
A Good Week

Had a good week of "when others notice" experiences. They are always a bit awkward for me as I am usually caught off guard and never really know what to say. Plus in my head, I'm still the soft chubby kid I was growing up. But I do appreciate the comments later on as it keeps me motivated to stick to my diet. Here was my week:

1) Today - A 30-something woman was standing next to me as we were waiting to cross the street. She turns to me and says, "You have a really nice body". I managed to mumble a "thank you"

2) Last Monday - I was filling my car with gas and the man at the pump next to me turns and says, "You must work out a lot huh?" I mumble back, "I try". I liked this one because I used to get "Do you work out?" Now the working out is assumed!

3) Last Sunday - Saw an acquaintance who I hadn't seen in about 6 months. He said, "Since the last time I saw you, you've gotten so much bigger". I liked this one the most because he said bigger. That's been the goal of my diet for the last couple of months (losing fat and keeping the muscle). My trainer has convinced me that to look bigger, I have to get smaller (i.e. lose some fat). I'm always afraid of getting too lean as I want to look more like an off-season bodybuilder and not a ripped little gym bunny. But it seems to be working as the fat loss has translated into looking bigger (at least in the eyes of one acquaintance).
  #575   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscub View Post
3) Last Sunday - Saw an acquaintance who I hadn't seen in about 6 months. He said, "Since the last time I saw you, you've gotten so much bigger". I liked this one the most because he said bigger. That's been the goal of my diet for the last couple of months (losing fat and keeping the muscle). My trainer has convinced me that to look bigger, I have to get smaller (i.e. lose some fat). I'm always afraid of getting too lean as I want to look more like an off-season bodybuilder and not a ripped little gym bunny. But it seems to be working as the fat loss has translated into looking bigger (at least in the eyes of one acquaintance).
I kinda like the off-season bodybuilder look. That's what I'm shooting for, as well. My body type is more of an endomorph so I might not get the ripped look at all. I just like getting bigger and stronger while losing the last bit of flab hanging around the beltline.

Sounds like your trainer is doing a great job getting you were you need to be.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #576   Add to jtravel29's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM

jtravel29 is on a distinguished road
Two gym beginners (they were standing the wrong way in the squats/smith machine and I corrected them) who I've never seen at the gym are there when I'm doing a leg workout.

Nice to see them counting the plates on the inverted leg press machine.
  #577   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Not so much a case of someone noticing me, but I was walking with my gym partner, yesterday, heading to the bus station after a workout, when we ran into a guy he knew from university.

The guy said to him something along the lines of "Every time I see you, you're looking bigger and bigger. Are you using steroids, or something?" - gave him quite an ego boost. Got the two of us talking about all those little ego boosts afterwards.

I got a nice ego boost of a similar sort about two months ago. I was at the gym, when the female PT that took me for my "induction" at the gym, who was training a client nearby, made a point to compliment me on how much my upper body was filling out. From someone I was a close friend with, it would just be taken as someone being nice, but from a PT who I mostly just say "hi" to each time I see her, it's quite an ego boost.
  #578   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel29 View Post
Two gym beginners (they were standing the wrong way in the squats/smith machine and I corrected them) who I've never seen at the gym are there when I'm doing a leg workout. Nice to see them counting the plates on the inverted leg press machine.
LOL, Gotta love that "wait???.....WTF!!!!!!" Reaction some people have to the sight of a fully loaded leg press machine For Me, it's usually followed by "Are you a power lifter?" and I tell them "Nope, I'm just a fat guy with a hobby."
  #579   Add to annoyingone's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM

annoyingone is on a distinguished road
Today I was working at the receptionist desk and one of the patients came in saying how he wanted to gain muscle and lose weight. I assured him that I was able to get a good amount of muscle just by working out a lot and eating a lot. He said "Wow you look great! Maybe I'll keep you as inspiration." I blushed a bit and got sidetracked while trying to schedule his next appointment.
  #580   Add to THE BODYBUILDING GIANT's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM

THE BODYBUILDING GIANT is on a distinguished road
best feeling inthe world is when you clock some one noticing your physic or the weight your lifting etc make you feel like its all worth it
  #581   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:48 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDunIt View Post
LOL, Gotta love that "wait???.....WTF!!!!!!" Reaction some people have to the sight of a fully loaded leg press machine For Me, it's usually followed by "Are you a power lifter?" and I tell them "Nope, I'm just a fat guy with a hobby."
Lol.. its the only exercise I get comments and people standing around to see if I can really move all those plates. I can squat heavy and no one cares. a full-house leg press, people come to watch! funny.
  #582   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm View Post
Lol.. its the only exercise I get comments and people standing around to see if I can really move all those plates. I can squat heavy and no one cares. a full-house leg press, people come to watch! funny.
Yup, same here inm, I'm one of the bigger guys that works out the last couple hours my gym is open (I'm no good in the morning and I try like hell to avoid the "rush hour" time span) and it's the same way.
  #583   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Just got back from vacation and went there expecting comments on the bulk I put on from the people who had not seen me in a year and nothing happened.

I got a couple of second glances but no one made any remarks so I figured that my progress was not as noticeable as I thought and made resolutions to work harder in the gym.

Then a group of fun folks came by with a cart doing the "Bring Out Your Dead" skit from Monty Python and my friend offered me up as an corpse for for them. I went through all of the Python responses I could remember ("I feel happy!") and they moved on. Then one of my friends said, "You're probably too big for them."

The next day I was sitting in a chair when one of the ladies in our camp wandered up and started giving me a trap massage. She was pretty good at it and as I was melting into my chair she said, "You've got big shoulders!"

I am very pumped about getting back to the gym.

Bulkybud
  #584   Add to THE BODYBUILDING GIANT's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:58 AM

THE BODYBUILDING GIANT is on a distinguished road
even the quiet comments and people just looking makes em feel good

a lot of people day say things because of jealousy and also intimidation but overall if people are secure in them selves they tend to say positive things
  #585   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM
growing muscle guy

dodoria21 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dodoria21
the other day I was walking across my yard after a workout and my uncle was driving down the street with his girlfriend in the car. She said at first she had no clue who was walking across our yard, and then was like "oh wow!"

w00t!
  #586   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Well I've been doing quiet a bit of RP on yahoo messenger. every once in a while I get asked to show a picture of myself and I point them over to the website in my sig. They cannot believe the changes that they see. It keeps me motivated to pump really hard.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #587   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM

stronguns is on a distinguished road
Each year my family has a reunion picnic. I usually get some comments from someone in the family about my size. This year I've gained 25 lbs of muscle so the comments were pretty good. My favorite was, your arms are as big as my thighs (not quite, but close). Another one was, "you have muscles in places I don't." Sure did a lot for my ego. But, anyway the guys usually end up in arm wrestling matches or some other strength contest. This year it was a tug of war. They were actually arguing which side would get me, so in the end so everyone would have an even chance we had 5 guys on one team (mine) and 7 on the other. My team won. Don't know how fair it was though since I think we outweighed the other side, but hey I'll take some of the credit!

Last edited by stronguns; August 14th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
  #588   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Quote:
Originally Posted by stronguns View Post
Each year my family has a reunion picnic. I usually get some comments from someone in the family about my size. This year I've gained 25 lbs of muscle so the comments were pretty good. My favorite was, your arms are as big as my thighs (not quite, but close). Another one was, "you have muscles in places I don't". Sure did a lot for my ego. But, anyway the guys usually end up in arm wrestling matches or some other strength contest. This year it was a tug of war. They were actually arguing which side would get me, so in the end so everyone would have an even chance we had 5 guys on one team (mine) and 7 on the other. My team won.
As usual:

Pix, dammit, pix!

Stats, dammit, stats!

:-)

xoxo

Richard
  #589   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:29 AM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
As usual:

Pix, dammit, pix!

Stats, dammit, stats!

:-)

xoxo

Richard
What he said!
  #590   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM

stronguns is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigwoof View Post
What he said!
Here is a link to my BodySpace profile. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/stronguns/ No pictures though. I once found a picture of me in an entirely inappropriate place so will no longer make them available.
  #591   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to my BodySpace profile. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/stronguns/ No pictures though. I once found a picture of me in an entirely inappropriate place so will no longer make them available.
Damn that sucks >< Hate when people do shit like that.

#592   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the misuse of your pics previously. Your profile does give more insight into your freaky training. Thanks for sharing and continued best wishes for more growth!
  #593   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:55 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,031 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
Quote:
Say what? You weigh 262 lbs and have 6.5% body fat. I hope you decide to show us what you look like on here sometime! We promise we won't show them to anyone. :-)
  #594   Add to niko777's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM

niko777 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

Something nice happened to me today. I was wearing a t-shirt that was tight around my arms. I went to my parents house and when my dad saw me, he replaced one of the sleeves that had rolled under the strain of my biceps, saying: "What, you want to show us your big muscles?". Lol. He wasn't jealous, cuz he has big guns too, but it was nice that he finally said that I have big muscles, lol. Looks like the gym work is paying off!

Take care,

Niko777
  #595   Add to Aleutrius's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:16 AM

Aleutrius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Holy shit dude...looks like you're one strong guy.
  #596   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:51 AM

A Little Pick-Me-Up

Just got done with a bicep workout and went off to the store in my sleeveless workout shirt. While talking to one of the store employees his eyes kept going from my face to my arms and back again.

Then went to the grocery part of the store and bumped into an old friend and her daughter and both of them did the same thing.

After a week of getting back into the workouts after vacation and feeling weaker from the layoff, I found it very inspiring.

And I'll need inspiration, tomorrow's leg day.

Bulkybud
  #597   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:14 AM

Was at the gym and two the retirees, real nice guys, that I chat with now and then were talking as I walked by.

One looked at me and said to his buddy, "Here's the bouncer from Jerry Springer!"

The other said, "He's big enough."

Never get used to that- being called the big guy.

Bulkybud
  #598   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
growing muscle guy

i've mentioned that I work out in my uncle's garage with some equipment. he has a friend who is an ex-bb who also works out on it. He's let his body go a lot since his prime, but he is looking to get it back in shape and maybe even compete again in an older class.

anyway, yesterday the three of us wound up in a conversation about my progress! the ex-bb has started calling me "muscleman" heh. They commented on how much more weight I am lifting since I started and that I'm getting stronger than even I realize. Uncle said he can really start telling because my midsection is shrinking and my arms are getting defined and big. The ex-bb looked at how much weight I had on the cable gym and got intimidated cuz I've caught up to him! Granted I know he's gone years without working out so he's not at his full potential, but still knowing the strength he must have inside and for me to have caught up to him in my workouts was a real confidence booster.
  #599   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Congrats... and workout partner

That sounds so cool about you and the ex-bb friend of your uncle's. Perhaps you and he should do a workout together. He could probably give you a lot of pointers and advice. Also, the best gains I've personally ever made were working out with a partner. He might be jealous enough to get himself back in the game... which would be good for both of you.
  #600   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
growing muscle guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermusclebe View Post
That sounds so cool about you and the ex-bb friend of your uncle's. Perhaps you and he should do a workout together. He could probably give you a lot of pointers and advice. Also, the best gains I've personally ever made were working out with a partner. He might be jealous enough to get himself back in the game... which would be good for both of you.
yea we've worked out together a couple of times, and he is great at motivating you to get those last few reps in, and he gets a kick out of seeing others make progress. We probably won't work out together often though cuz he likes to workout in the evening, around 7-8pm. I like my workouts late morning-early afternoon, but he's always around so he's a good source for confidence boosts and motivation

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options