The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 3.20 average. Display Modes
  #201   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
The usual, of course ("P, D, P!") plus:

So how much do you weigh these days? How big IS that arm?

xoxo

Richard

who just got back from the gym (back and biceps) and can't type worth beans as a result!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #202   Add to Chansey's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Chansey is on a distinguished road
Red face

I have been doing weight training ever since my junior year in high school, and I consider myself pretty much a slow gainer.

I had graduated college this past May, and have been pretty much hopping around various jobs before landing freelance graphic design recently. However, I also returned to my part time job about three weeks ago, so everyone there hadnt seen me for about 5 1/2 months. But when I came back I was floored by all the compliments and comments people said to me. I must have counted at least 8 different accounts during my first week back with people noticing a change from my weight training...

I remembered most of the things said, pretty much along these lines...

"Dude, your arms are so big now!"
" Wow, you look a lot bigger now?"
" Jeez, work out much?"
"That shirt is looking pretty tight now"
"You're looking pretty awesome, man"

Keep in mind these comments are coming from coworkers ranging from young 20 something guys to middle aged women.

I'm pretty shy about people commenting, so I kind of clam up and act like I dont know what they are talking about. Even some customers now ask if I am a fitness instructor in my spare time. :-)

BTW, I'm 5'11, 165 -- not even that big, but the low body fat may make me seem more defined?
  #203   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chansey View Post
I have been doing weight training ever since my junior year in high school, and I consider myself pretty much a slow gainer.

I had graduated college this past May, and have been pretty much hopping around various jobs before landing freelance graphic design recently. However, I also returned to my part time job about three weeks ago, so everyone there hadnt seen me for about 5 1/2 months. But when I came back I was floored by all the compliments and comments people said to me. I must have counted at least 8 different accounts during my first week back with people noticing a change from my weight training...

I remembered most of the things said, pretty much along these lines...

"Dude, your arms are so big now!"
" Wow, you look a lot bigger now?"
" Jeez, work out much?"
"That shirt is looking pretty tight now"
"You're looking pretty awesome, man"

Keep in mind these comments are coming from coworkers ranging from young 20 something guys to middle aged women.

I'm pretty shy about people commenting, so I kind of clam up and act like I dont know what they are talking about. Even some customers now ask if I am a fitness instructor in my spare time. :-)

BTW, I'm 5'11, 165 -- not even that big, but the low body fat may make me seem more defined?
CONGRATULATIONS! It will keep getting better.....keep up the good work!
  #204   Add to Chansey's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Chansey is on a distinguished road
thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigwoof View Post
CONGRATULATIONS! It will keep getting better.....keep up the good work!
Thank you! I will definitely keep at it!
  #205   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
So last Thursday a former co-worker was back in town to visit and he stopped by to have lunch with my boss and I. We used to lift together almost daily. When I walked out of my office he said "Damn, are you getting bigger?". I said "Nah, I'm still 240# just like when you left last year". He looked at my boss and said "he's fricken huge". A couple of more times during lunch he made mention of the fact that he thought I was bigger. Made my day because this guy has a great body. He's about a year younger than me (41-42) and 6'1" 190# and pretty well defined.
  #206   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM
The Inspiration.

achilles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to achilles Send a message via MSN to achilles Send a message via Yahoo to achilles
Talking

Today at the gym, I was referred to by a complete stranger by two new words. I was halfway through my bicep workout, cranking out the 90lb dumbell concentration curls, when the guy next to me who was making a lot of noise doing his dumbell bench press put down his weights, turned to me and just exclaimed "F*** man, you're a beast! A tank. How long did it take you to get so big?"

Me: "Mmm. Two years. A lot of hard work though..."

Damn straight it was! But having someone I've never met before call me a tank/beast makes it worthwhile :-)

Also, as an aside, I've had people remark to me IRL on four separate occasions this week "F*** dude, you are getting HUGE!" (or words similar). Gaining 15lb last month has done me good

--
Training Since: September 15th 2006
Muscle-lover Since: Birth!
  #207   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Not much of one but...

On our recent cruise we met some "Friends of Dorothy" from Dallas travelling together and we had dinner with six of that group (nearly) every night. One of the guys is a real hottie, about my height and weight, a few years older (55 to my 50), balding / buzzed, goatee. He was there with his ex-partner (they're now best friends) who at one point noted, "Yeah, when I first met him 7-8 years ago he was in his bodybuilding phase. 178 lbs. and arms as big as this guy's!"

It took me a minute to realize he was talking about MY arms! A nice little buzz, that one!

xoxo

Richard
  #208   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles View Post
Gaining 15lb last month has done me good
Plus (as our throbbing members all attest!) it's pure muscle growth fantasy.

Let's pro-rate it, shall we?

15 lbs. a month x 12 months =

Achilles @ 420 lbs. round about November 2009!

Mmm! I'm looking foward to it!

xoxo

Richard
  #209   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Weekend in Hong Kong

I took a business trip to Hong Kong a few weeks ago and I had a weekend of free time. Temps were around 75-80 degrees in the afternoon, so I took the opportunity to shed a few layers while I walked around shopping. I spent the weekend in tank tops, flip flops, and fairly "short" shorts.

Even though HK has plenty of larger anglo guys, I still stood out quite a bit. Wandering through clothing stores, I got a few comments like "you are very strong" and "you are very big." Unfortunately, many of the cooler shirts that I saw have no chance of fitting me. And I'm not even 200lb!

I treated myself to a pedicure and traditional Chinese foot and leg massage. The masseuse jokingly complained that there was "too much leg to massage" and she had her work cut out for her with my calves. She asked me twice if I play football (soccer). Never have!

But the best part was this. While riding the train on Friday night, I was standing across from a few girls in their late teens-early 20's. They were all looking at me and giggling. And fairly drunk. I playfully asked them what was up, and they pointed to one girl and said "she wants to feel your muscles." In the past this would totally embarrass me - especially as I was hanging out with some friends. But I had a few drinks in me too and decided to play along. I flexed a bicep and she reached out to squeeze it. She pulled her hand back really quick - as if touching a stove - and giggled like hell. No matter - it still made me feel good. Being a muscular tourist in Asia is pretty awesome!
  #210   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:43 AM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyooge View Post
I took a business trip to Hong Kong a few weeks ago and I had a weekend of free time. Temps were around 75-80 degrees in the afternoon, so I took the opportunity to shed a few layers while I walked around shopping. I spent the weekend in tank tops, flip flops, and fairly "short" shorts.

Even though HK has plenty of larger anglo guys, I still stood out quite a bit. Wandering through clothing stores, I got a few comments like "you are very strong" and "you are very big." Unfortunately, many of the cooler shirts that I saw have no chance of fitting me. And I'm not even 200lb!

I treated myself to a pedicure and traditional Chinese foot and leg massage. The masseuse jokingly complained that there was "too much leg to massage" and she had her work cut out for her with my calves. She asked me twice if I play football (soccer). Never have!

But the best part was this. While riding the train on Friday night, I was standing across from a few girls in their late teens-early 20's. They were all looking at me and giggling. And fairly drunk. I playfully asked them what was up, and they pointed to one girl and said "she wants to feel your muscles." In the past this would totally embarrass me - especially as I was hanging out with some friends. But I had a few drinks in me too and decided to play along. I flexed a bicep and she reached out to squeeze it. She pulled her hand back really quick - as if touching a stove - and giggled like hell. No matter - it still made me feel good. Being a muscular tourist in Asia is pretty awesome!
Congrats! Leave your inhibitions behind.....and keep us updated on the subsequent stories!
  #211   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:03 AM

wolfman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wolfman
small obervation

I've noticed recently how my brother (who is by the way obsesed with working out) everytime when I'm in a t-shirt he has to grab my biceps and ask me to flex them. Pretty good feeling when people notice your hard work even though i am not a big guy!
  #212   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:25 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Something new

I've added something new to my diet that is helping me shed fat and here in Sacramento while visiting for the holidays, I've had a couple of relatives who have really noticed the shedding of fat. It must really be working!
  #213   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM

I got a nice "you pump iron, don't you?" from my cousin's husband (haven't seen in at least 10 years) when I was visiting my mom and her husband in Pensacola this weekend.

Always pleasant to get a little boost like that.

xoxo

Richard
  #214   Add to bbgonnabe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Late but Great Grower

bbgonnabe is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Wofman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I've noticed recently how my brother (who is by the way obsesed with working out) everytime when I'm in a t-shirt he has to grab my biceps and ask me to flex them. Pretty good feeling when people notice your hard work even though i am not a big guy!
Sounds like you may be bigger than you think as is often the case! How about some pics of those guns?
  #215   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I have one photo where my arms are visible (though it's not a bicep photo). The photo is 1 year old, so my arms are now better so i will try to take some new photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848111@N03/3151616292/
  #216   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have one photo where my arms are visible (though it's not a bicep photo). The photo is 1 year old, so my arms are now better so i will try to take some new photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848111@N03/3151616292/
That's from a year ago?! Damn! Then we need to see whole galleries of your body as it looks NOW and what it will be lookin like as you get there!

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #217   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I agree with TheMM, Wolf -- great pic! Please post more!

xoxo

Richard
  #218   Add to phoenix's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM

phoenix is on a distinguished road
Getting noticed....

I get a few comments here and there....
But my best experience for me was this:

At a party sometime in october and we were sitting around drinking. Starting to wind down and just myself and a few lads were left sitting around the living room. We had gone through quite a few six packs of cider/beer and had lots of cans and the plastic stuff used to bind them together left lying around.
My best mate started this game where you had to hold the plastic beer things between your hands at arms length, keeping your arms dead straight and try to pull them apart. (Just using shoulder muscles)
According to my best mate....this was "impossible"....
Well, we all got them on our hands and we all had a go. Sure enough, the guys around me didn't manage to budge it.
But mine started to get thinner and thinner until it just went snap.

The look on my best mates face was priceless as theres always a healthy rivalry between us. This prompted "you cheated" and "yours must have been weaker" etc from my male peers..

So, three more sucessful attempts later it was decided that the gym was "obviously doing me good" and my best mate was left a bit green. It made me feel so good.....
  #219   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
"This is no trick!"

Ok then wolf, now it goes double for you to post pictures!

As for you Phoenix, where's pictures of your shoulders, hmm?

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #220   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM

here are some more recent photos. it's not a huge progress but still...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848111@N03/3151810441/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848111@N03/3151810445/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848111@N03/3151818381/
  #221   Add to bbgonnabe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Late but Great Grower

Wolfman: That's quite a gun! Superb horseshoe. Bicep definitely has size. One can tell how it slopes up from the elbow joint. It appears that you have long muscle bellies in your biceps so they must really ball up when flexed. [This was in reference to you year-old pic! Now that I've seen the newer pics, I was damn right!]

Last edited by bbgonnabe; December 30th, 2008 at 08:32 PM.
  #222   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
"This is no trick!"

Quote:
Now don't sell yourself short Wolf. I mean, have you looked at yourself shirtless in the mirror laterly?! *hint hint* It seems like everything on your upper bod is like twice the size of everything on mine.

You may not be super ripped, but that matters not, we can see all that muscle just below the skin. So you may not see the progress, but we sure can.

You're a big guy Wolf, who's only gonna get bigger.

#223   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Ran into somebody I last worked with ago, told me I looked like I was ready to go out and chop down trees, I was heavily clothed so I could have just been the beard
  #224   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM

<-- agrees with TheMM.

Wolfman, you look awesome!

xoxo

Richard
  #226   Add to bbgonnabe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Late but Great Grower

Wolfman: Man, look at the size of that tricep head! In the flexed pic, your gun looks at least 18" if not more. What bulging bicep! Sweet! What's the measurement?
  #227   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM

Great pix, Wolfman! Height and weight? Just curious!

xoxo

Richard
  #228   Add to Lionor_King's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Muscle beast

Lionor_King is on a distinguished road
I remeber the first time my bciep ripped through my hsirt it was so hot i was at my best friend birthday party and i flexed just a little becouse i was bored when i heard the rip and then evryone around me was ike "Damn what is that monster!" it was cool it felt so hot and awsome i eneded up going home shirtless after tht
  #229   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionor_King View Post
I remeber the first time my bciep ripped through my hsirt it was so hot i was at my best friend birthday party and i flexed just a little becouse i was bored when i heard the rip and then evryone around me was ike "Damn what is that monster!" it was cool it felt so hot and awsome i eneded up going home shirtless after tht
And just WHERE is that monster now? Pics, dammit, pics!
  #230   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
Great pix, Wolfman! Height and weight? Just curious!

xoxo

Richard
thank you. i am 177cm tall and weigh about 80kg (but that might not be true since i don't wigh myself often).
  #231   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:02 AM

Nice stats, Wolf. 177 cm / 80 kg = 5 feet 9 1/2 inches (approx.) and 176 lbs.

xoxo

Richard
  #232   Add to saab's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM

saab is on a distinguished road
I've been hitting the weights hard since the cold weather has hit. Last week it got unseasonably warm and was wearing a t-shirt and got 3 comments which totally made my week! Mostly comments about my shoulders pecs and traps. One of my customers stopped by my office and when he was about to leave patted me on the back, then asked me if I was on steroids cus my back felt like solid rock! The high point was probably yesterday though when I went shopping for dress shirts. Gonna have to start wearing suit and tie again and couldn't get any of my shirts to button around my neck- the lady measured my neck and it's 19"! I was a 17.5" last time I had to wear shirt and tie. They didn't have any shirts that would work cus they were all made for guys with bigger bellies than mine- boy did they poof out! Gonna have to order some majorly tapered shirts. Can't wait to grow some more!
  #233   Add to nsco's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM

nsco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nsco Send a message via MSN to nsco Send a message via Yahoo to nsco
Just thought this was an interesting coincidence so i decided to write it. The other day I was looking through this thread, Well later that day I was driving with my brother and he told me how he wanted to lift with me because "obviously I was making progress". He told me I looked bigger too. Most people havent noticed other than him though cause ive been wearing sweatshirts and long sleave shirts and stuff for the winter.

Also Last spring (the first warm day in spring when I got to wear a short sleave shirt) I was at a friends house with some friends who just got back from college. They all remarked on how much more muscular I looked and a few felt my bicep. lol I hope I can shock them this year by adding allot more muscle.
  #234   Add to budnyc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM

budnyc is on a distinguished road
I typically wear very loose-fitting, comfortable clothes, but last summer I started wearing this very nice, tight, designer-type black tee shirt that was a Christmas gift from a friend with much more stylish taste than mine, lol. The form-fitting design accented my chest & shoulders in a way that none of my schleppy shirts had done before. On the bus, I began to notice that a lot of people were staring at me - men, women, kids. I started checking my teeth for spinach, but then I realized they were staring at my arms, my chest, my shoulders...

I felt embarrassed and flattered at the same time. I've been working out pretty diligently, and a lot of my friends have made nice comments about the afore-mentioned body parts, but I'm really not that big. Then later, I was moseying through my local grocery store, the Big Banana (I kid you not), and I noticed this very tall guy with huge arms approaching. You just couldn't miss him. I was examining the yogurt; he came up behind me and started examining the yogurt...for a very long time. I went to the next aisle for skim milk; so did he. Natural peanut butter shelf - there he was again. And at the checkout counter - one of four - there he was right behind me...

We're in the dead of winter now, it's about 29 degrees around here, and I'm still wearing that shirt ;-)

Last edited by budnyc; January 2nd, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
  #235   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM

"Talked" to a friend for the first time in a few months the other day (he's deaf and I don't know sign language so we write back and forth), after about 10 minutes he asked me if I'd been working out, to which I answered yes. I proceeded to tell him that I've had a few people tell me look like I've lost weight, even though I've gained 20 lbs from the time I started lifting (still technically obese just noticeably less fat now) When I told him that I'm leg pressing 810lbs (just topped 900lbs in iron alone last night) he did a double take and had to re-read what I wrote to make sure he read it right
  #236   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
Easy night in the gym for me -- just cardio and calves and abs. Anyway, i am doing body weight calf raises on a dumbbell (my fav calf exercise) when a kid, abt 19 comes up and asks me if he could have a try. I tried my best to help him, as he came close to falling more than a few times (anyone who has done hte exercise can tell you it takes a LONG time to learn how to stay balanced and in control).

Anyway, a long time guy named Jason, who is doing the Jr. USA's this year, came up to me. We started talking about leg work, and he asked me how often I had competed. I told him never and that I had only been in the gym 2 1/2 years. He was stunned and told me that I should get on stage as soon as I could, and that he'd help me learn the ropes, posing, etc. when I wanna try. It was awesome from someone with a lot of local and regional trophies assumed i had done shows before. :-) :-)
  #237   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Very cool story Spencer!
  #238   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Last week i met some girls on the beach and after awhile they asked me to flex my biceps and one of them tauched it and said how i have strong arms. I am always suprised and little bit shy when that happens but it's a great feeling.
  #239   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Wow, calf raises on a dumbbell - I'll have to try that sometimes.

After slacking off over the holidays, I'm finally back in the gym full-force. I did a monster leg workout this morning. My gym is a pretty pedestrian place, so I'm typically the only guy working on legs, and definitely the only guy ever doing deadlifts. My legs aren't enormous, but they're bigger than pretty much everyone else's in that place, so my typical deadlift outfit of short gym shorts, bare feet, and shaved muscular legs usually gets me a lot of attention. I have to admit, I really enjoy the stares!
  #240   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyooge View Post
Wow, calf raises on a dumbbell - I'll have to try that sometimes.

After slacking off over the holidays, I'm finally back in the gym full-force. I did a monster leg workout this morning. My gym is a pretty pedestrian place, so I'm typically the only guy working on legs, and definitely the only guy ever doing deadlifts. My legs aren't enormous, but they're bigger than pretty much everyone else's in that place, so my typical deadlift outfit of short gym shorts, bare feet, and shaved muscular legs usually gets me a lot of attention. I have to admit, I really enjoy the stares!
Tis an awesome exercise. really. The DB is free rolling - on the floor, or better yet, on a plyo step for a full range of motion - so it really hits a lot as you maintain balance doing the raise. Key is to HOLD ON to a smith or BB as you are learning how. I am to the point where all i need to do is rest my hands on top od something, not holding on.

Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...nMuscle=Calves

5th exercise down on the page

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options