The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:01 PM
LeatherGryphon

Need motivation to diet?

If you need some motivation to diet. Here's my story and I've got a great mental image for you consider at the end.

I'd been into motorcycles and bodybuilding in my early twenties but by early 40's I'd given in to home life, good food, stressful work, and I blossomed into a 250 pound waddler with 44" underwear (don't even think Speedo's you'd scare yourself.) Then my other half died and I had to learn who I was again. I got back into motorcycles. I wanted to get back into my leathers so I HAD to lose weight. (Fat men in leather look like black balloons at the Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade.) It took me six months but I went from 250 down to 185 and from 44" to 36" waist.

It no longer hurt to get out of a chair. I could go up a couple of flights of stairs without stopping three times. I found myself running up the long escalators in the Metro (subway) in Washington DC. I got back into my 15 year old leathers, then with continuing muscle gains had to buy newer, bigger leather but it was worth the money, and a few years later I filled them out very handsomely at 230# of muscle. I'm 55 now and for the last 8 years I've been in good shape. I'm down to 200# now and not actively lifting for a while but I still ride bicycle long distances very frequently and watch my diet. I still have 34-35 inch waist. The 17" arms are down to 15" but I feel proud that I have had success learning how to stay healthy.

OK y'know how I kept from eating too much? Did you ever stop to think how much a big can of Crisco weighs? Not including the metal can, just the fat inside. Three pounds. Just 3 pounds! Now do you think losing 3 pounds of fat from your body isn't a big deal? Do you think that when you put on ONLY three pounds that it isn't a big deal?

If you're only 30 pounds overweight, thats TEN cans of Crisco. Imagine wearing a spandex body suit and stuffing TEN cans of crisco into it. Think on that the next time you want a Coke or a candy bar or an extra helping of anything.

And you can't lose weight and keep it off just by dieting. Losing weight like bodybuilding is a life style change. Diet and exercise for the rest of your life. It's a win/win situation. Diet and exercise lose the weight and diet and exercise can make you muscular. Just one life style change and you get both benefits. But if you haven't got the commitment, it isn't gonn'a work.

-- LeatherGryphon --
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hecad84's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:42 AM

hecad84
Send a message via AIM to hecad84 Send a message via Yahoo to hecad84
Thanks for posting your comments. I think that a big problem with people trying to lose weight is the "but this tastes so good" syndrome. I know I was there myself for many years.

I'm impressed at you losing 65 pounds in six months. Congrats! And that mental image of the Crisco cans in spandex is a good one to keep in mind.

In my case, I went from 275 to 165 over the course of about two years. What worked for me, as silly as it may sound, is I kept telling myself that I'd been eating this food all my life, I know what it tastes like, so I don't need any more than one small helping.

Just another thought. Keep up the progress guys!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options