The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to hecad84's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:53 PM

hecad84
Send a message via AIM to hecad84 Send a message via Yahoo to hecad84
Chest advice needed

Hello all. I am still very new to the lifting scene, having only been at it for a few months now, but while I can see improvement in my arms, legs, abs, and back, my chest doesn't seem to be doing anything. I find this strange because most things I've read said that the pecs usually respond quickly and easily. Being new, I'm only doing two chest exercises, flat bench presses and butterflies. Everytime I bench press, I feel it all in my shoulders, nothing in my chest. I've tried changing my grip, my hand spacing, and have even bought a new bar, but it still seems like my shoulders are what are getting worked. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
look at http://www.naturalweightlifting.com/...rial/chest.htm

I've also would suggest pressing your shoulders down so that you use your pecs more than your shoulders (but don't arch your back)

Scott

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #3   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:03 PM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
negatives

do negatives on ALL sets to bring up your endurance. then later you can increase weight. negatives means you go about 40% slower when you bring the bar back down. it will fucking burn you.

other advice: "serious strength training" by dr. bompa. good book with cheesy roided bb pics in it but great training advice.
  #4   Add to wrestlejock646's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2003, 06:18 PM

wrestlejock646 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrestlejock646
You might also re-examine your grip width. Too wide a grip and your shoulders will take most of the stimulus as well as the stress. Too narrow and the bench press becomes more of a tricep exercise. Try a grip that allows your forearms to remain perpendicular to the floor (vertical) through most of the range of motion as soon as the elbows start to bend at the top of the movement.
  #5   Add to bulkinupbig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:45 PM

bulkinupbig
Effectively focusing on chest

Wrestlejock646
I would strongly suggest that while doing either incline bench presses or flat bench presses to pinch your shoulder blades in the back which will elevate your chest slightly. You want to avoid having focusing on your front deltoid muscles when doing any pressing movements.

In addition, I would strongly suggest that you focus on alternating or supplementing your flies with cables and the pec deck machine that also doubles as a rear deltoid machine. Remember to squeeze at the top of the movement and that doing these contraction movements S L O W L Y is the key.

Bulkinupbig

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options