The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Post Your Muscle Growth Stories
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Post Your Muscle Growth Stories Registered Members Only: Post your own male muscle growth-themed stories here and get feedback from readers. 18+ ONLY! Stories posted here will eventually be added to the Evolution Story Archive.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to tekuno's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Thanked 2,624 Times in 311 Posts
tekuno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tekuno
A Word Out of Place - Part 5

This story is now complete. Content warnings and description for this story accompany part 1. Each part has a link to the next part at the end for your convenience.

Part One | Part Two | Part Three | Part Four | Part Five | Part Six | Part Seven | Part Eight | Part Nine | Part Ten

-----

I got so deep into rereading an old book last night that I forgot to post anything.

(Recently, I've come to the conclusion that about three quarters of what I read for school as a child was pushed on me far too early for me to appreciate it properly, and investigation shows that many of the books are either better than I remembered or else were actually good when I remembered nothing. Although not The Red Badge of Courage or Johnny Tremaine, which are both trash. I think they were selected because they were "patriotic" while at the same time having main characters who were young, because of course <sarcasm> no child can possibly be interested in a book unless the main character is also a child, right? </sarcasm> In this case, I was looking at The Count of Monte Cristo, which is a potboiler adventure story and pretty good once you get to the point where Dantes is thrown into prison. Maybe not much more literary nutritional value than Edgar Wallace, but entertaining and, I think, worth the effort. The only problem is that it's a freaking enormous book -- did I really read more than a thousand pages of this in 7th grade? I recall nothing whatsoever beyond a very bare outline of the plot, and the fact that even the little paperback edition was thicker than a brick -- and so it's very easy to stay up way too late reading it, which I did: 4:15 AM. And there's still so much left to go!)

Anyway, since I forgot, I'm posting a part of each of the two serialized stories tonight. So here we go.

-----

A Word Out of Place
Part 5

"Prince Andrew, with your permission, I would like to visit the dungeon today, after we have finished your studies."

"The dungeon?" Andrew was genuinely astonished. "I was not aware this fortress even had a dungeon."

"Yes, it is below the north tower cellars. It has not been used for some time."

"Several decades, I should think. Father does not take prisoners, he executes people outright. Well, Simon, if you wish it, we can investigate the dungeon. Any particular reason?"

"I have reason to believe that certain items which may prove useful in your training may be found in the dungeon."

"Truly? That's a very strange suggestion."

"I am not certain, but it can do no harm to look. I warn you, though, that unless the dungeon has been cleaned, you may find it disturbing. I find it highly disturbing myself, even though--"

"Simon, do not distress yourself. I know you must have seen terrible things during your training. I promise I won't make you see them any more if you would prefer not. In fact, why not stay out of the dungeon entirely?"

"My Prince, have you forgotten? You yourself ordered me to train you to the best of my ability. I believe that materials in the dungeon will further your training. There is nothing in the dungeon, now, for me to fear, or you either. We will go to the dungeon."

"If you are sure, Simon."

"I am."

-----

"Egad, this place is terrible! The stench!"

"The stench, Prince, is the smell of rotting blood. A great deal of blood was shed here when last the room was used, and this room is so damp and enclosed that even now the smell has not faded."

"Am I to suppose that the stains...?"

"Blood. It stains the woodwork, and the stone of the walls as well where they were not cleaned properly. I am sorry you had to see this."

"Well, find whatever it is you wanted, and let's be off. This is a terrible place."

"Yes, Prince Andrew. Fortunately, it appears that what I wanted is still here." Simon took a corked bottle from a shelf, and carefully inserted it into his satchel. Then he picked up a huge grimoire and began to flip the pages rapidly.

"What is in that bottle?"

"Essential salts. They were used in my training. They form the root of a great deal of magic having to do with the body. I am no magician, but I understand that they have properties which will be tremendously useful. Among other things, when rubbed into a wound, they cause unnaturally fast healing. They also form the basis of a number of salves which promote health in various ways, and have a cumulative, gradual effect on size and strength when consumed. I am quite certain that, properly treated, they can be used to cancel pain, or prevent it. Unfortunately, there is only the one bottle here, half empty, and if my memories are correct we will use that up within a week. Fortunately, I believe this book not only describes their use but also contains the recipe for the compound. If it does not require magic to manufacture them, we can create our own."

"Amazing. I'm surprised you know so much about their properties."

"Oh, people never seem to consider who may be listening, and you can overhear all sorts of things during an inspection of progress. Your father never seemed to think I could understand what he and the wizard were discussing. Ah, here it is: essential salts. Yes, yes. Hmmm. Yes, I think they will be safe, converted to our use. Let me just copy out the recipe; no wizardry, just a lot of grinding and boiling and tedium."

Prince Andrew shivered. "That's Father all over. Do you know, he lost Mother's jewels because he would not keep silent about the cleverness of their storage? Our carriage overtook a dray which, he later discovered, was owned by a ring of thieves, and they happened to hear everything they needed to know. Sometimes I think Father isn't very smart. All done? Good. Let's get out of here."

-----

"Ellen, will you do me a favor? Here is a bottle filled with a special compound for Prince Andrew. Please add approximately a third of a thimbleful to his ale at each meal."

Ellen squinted at the bottle. "What is it? It looks like sand."

"As the prospective diner, I hope it does not taste like it."

"The full name is 'Essential Salts of Dandt'. It is a compound wizards use. It has many properties which the Prince will find beneficial. It has a somewhat bitter flavor, my Prince, but not to such an extent as to ruin your ale."

"Where did you find this?"

"It was still in the dungeon."

Ellen froze, and then frowned at Simon. "The dungeon? When did you go into the dungeon?"

"We were just there."

"It's a terrible place, Ellen. I had no idea we used to torture people. My skin was crawling the entire time we were there."

"You should not have gone there. Some things should be left alone. Master Simon, are you sure that your skin didn't crawl as well while you were there?"

"I assure you, Ellen, I am fine. Sometimes the process of achieving a goal is less than pleasant. Nothing happened while we were in the dungeons, and we will not return."

Ellen continued to look troubled. "Master Simon, while you are here, would you do me a very great favor and bring a fresh barrel of ale from the cellar? I know you can manage it all by yourself."

"Certainly, Ellen. Come, Prince Andrew."

"Oh, it won't take you a moment. Prince Andrew can wait. I'm sure he's tired from all your training, let him sit."

"Very well. I shall be only a moment."

Ellen turned to Prince Andrew, her face pale and drawn. "Prince Andrew, you should not have gone to the dungeon. Master Simon must NEVER go to the dungeon again. Do you understand?"

"Ellen, what's wrong? It's a terrible place, but it's only a room. It's not as though it's haunted; I'm sure I would have heard by now."

"There are reasons. I can't tell you now. Simon will be back in a moment. Do not mention this to him. Here he comes."

"But Ellen--"

Ellen was suddenly loud and cheerful. "Ah, thank you, Master Simon. That will save me having to persuade two footmen later today. Having your strength must surely be useful. Well, don't let me keep you from your training."

"Prince Andrew, why not have your first dose of the salts now, before we go?"

"Very well. Ellen, may I have a cup of ale? And the salts? Thank you. I feel nervous with both of you watching me like that." Andrew drank. "I can't say I noticed very much of a difference in the flavor. How soon will these take effect?"

"My Prince, I told you before: the effect is gradual and cumulative. You will not suddenly have the strength of a giant. If you take a little every day, in a few weeks you will see greatly improved progress."

"Well, that's a little disappointing, I confess. But if it helps, I can hardly complain."

"Since we have completed our studies this morning, I suggest that we do our running now, and then sword practice and grappling after lunch." Simon walked towards the door. Ellen, who had been fidgeting for several minutes, plucked at Andrew's sleeve as he rose from the bench.

"What is it, Ellen? More about the dungeon?"

"Shh! Prince--"

"Yes?"

"When you get a chance, examine Simon's back."

"What?"

Ellen had all the authority of one used to commanding a staff. Her whisper was an order only slightly less compelling than Andrew's amulet. "Do it!"

Simon called from the door. "Are you coming, Prince Andrew?"

"Just a moment, Simon. My boot was caught under the bench."

Part Six

Last edited by tekuno; March 24th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tekuno For This Useful Post:
amauiguy (March 17th, 2013), Hanugumo (March 16th, 2013), muscl4life (March 16th, 2013), sarnaq (March 16th, 2013), xenon (March 16th, 2013)
  #2   Add to darkluster4's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Darklord of Power

darkluster4 is on a distinguished road
An interesting twist, and certainly one that deserves investigation. I'm thinking later, in the princes room maybe.

A lot of nice foreshadowing in this story. I wont say anything publicly in case I might be correct and give a spoiler. But I look forward to seeing if I am right.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options