The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to spongepower2008's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM

spongepower2008
Young person interested in bodybuilding

I am now 14 and I have read a lot of the tips, but to me it seems like they may be too strenuous(sp?) for me. The only reason I mention my age is because now I can workout at the YMCA without supervision. I am interested in becoming a serious bodybuilder and wiling to change my diet and schedule. Anybody have any tips? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2004, 07:50 PM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
form

yes. at 14, you are lucky to be starting so early. spend a couple of years working on perfecting FORM and on conditioning your tendons and ligaments before you start going heavy. So i suggest 1) you find a trainer or someone at the Y who really, truly knows proper form, or rent some well-respected bodybuilding videos and 2) spend two years doing light weights, high reps, and circuit training, concentrating on core strength (Abs, lower back). And building up your cardio ability. You HAVE to have cardio if you want to be healthy and build properly.

Then, when you're 16, start hypertrophy workouts.

I recommend a book called "Serious Strength Training" by T. Bompa. You can get a copy on Amazon.com. If you can't afford it get a used copy.

Also get into good eating habits now. Stop eating refined sugar, white flour, and/or pasta. Eat lots of veggies and take vitamins. If you are going to eat complex carbs, eat brown rice or whole grains. Stop eating bread--have the person who cooks for your family make lentils or brown rice instead.

you are 14. be patient, start easy and build a good base. Don't start lifting super-heavy right away. You only need to work out 2-3 times per week, doing every bodypart each time you work out. I would concentrate on movements that use your own bodyweight, like push-ups, crunches, pull ups, dips. Keep a notebook of your progress.

That's my advice. Good luck and most of all--SET GOALS (daily,weekly, monthly, and yearly).
  #3   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:08 AM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Great advice, Polo!

I'd like to emphasize what Polo said about form being fundamental. Especially at your age, there's going to be a lot of temptation from your friends ("So how much can you bench, man?") and your own drive to lift heavier weights than you can handle with good form. LET IT GO.

Remember, the whole point of weightlifting for bodybuilding is to exercise and develop muscles, not just the ability to lift heavy weights. When you start light and strict on form, as Polo recommended, it does two things -- first, it strengthens the "supports" that you'll need for heavier weight, and second, it gets you used to feeling where and what should be working during which exercise.

Pec flyes are a good example. Doing them, you should feel your pecs doing the work, maybe with a bit of assistance from the front delts to keep your shoulders stabilized. You should NOT be getting a major pump in your biceps -- which usually happens because we unbend our arms "just a little" to help get the weight moving. It's OK to cheat in certain instances, like trying to squeeze out one last rep, but it shouldn't be done too frequently.

Finally, working light and with variety helps you develop the best "sense" of what works out for your body. There are certain exercises that work fairly well for everyone, i.e. the "cores" like bench and squat, but there's a dizzying array of separate exercises for different bodyparts. Knowing what your body responds to is a crucial part of this.

Good luck!
  #4   Add to spongepower2008's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:41 PM

spongepower2008
Thank you all for your info. All is useful, I will keep ckecking for updates and I will be sure to execute your input.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options