The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to DSGBaug's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM

DSGBaug
Advice for a future muscle freak

Can anybody give me some advice on routines I can use for my body because over the summer I plan to workout and to get as huge as possible, any help will be appreciated. Just to give you all an idea on how I am, I'm 15years old, 5'11'' tall and I weigh 180lbs. Like I said any advice/routines will help.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
LeatherGryphon

Not knowing a lot about you, my advice is going to be very general.

Hello DSGBaug,

Hmmm..., 5' 11", 180# what's your chest, arm, waist, thigh, calf measurements? Have you worked out before? Do you do heavy work like on a farm or anything? Are you in shape now (football player, etc., or is this your first time trying to build? I'm trying to get an idea of where you're at physically.

Further more detailed answers about actual routines, technique and diet from me or others on this list will depend on knowing a little more about you. It would help to have some of this information filled out in your profile here at the site. Are you working alone? Are you going to a gym? Do you have any trainers or knowledgeable bodybuilding friends? Do you have access to a good diet? Do you have any injuries?

Regardless of the questions above here is some basic general information for your age. Summer is a short time, perhaps as much as 12 weeks.

A workout cycle is at least 6 weeks, you'll show some improvement either in losing fat or gaining muscle size and tone.

A good workout cycle of 8 weeks would be better.

12 weeks would be a nice intense cycle that should show noticable fat loss or weight gain If done right!

However, don't expect miracles. If you're heavy you could realisticly lose 15-25 pounds in 2-3 months. If you're thin you could add 4-5 pounds of good muscle mass. If done right!

You're young you can do at least three workouts a week, no more than 4 or maybe 5 working the whole body no more than three times a week, two if you are working it really heavy. If a muscle group is sore the day after a workout it will be worse the 2nd day! On the third day you can probably work it again but warm it up slowly.

Do good combination exercises, i.e. things that work multiple muscle groups at a time.Military Press, Free weight barbell curls, Squats (don't go any lower than knees at 90 degrees!). Don't try to do isolation exercises until you've built up a good muscle base. If you're at a gym ask the management to suggest good machines and exercises for working muscle combinations.

Work the whole Body! (arms, shoulder, traps, neck, back, abs, glutes, thighs, hamstrings, calves, forearms) Don't neglect parts. Schedule your workouts over the week to catch various parts on different days.
If you're somewhat in shape you can use a "split-routine" i.e. Plan your workouts to avoid stressing the same muscle group with too many exercises on the same day or the day after.

However, If you're really new at this, just come up with a good simple set of exercises that will work most of the body on every workout, don't waste too much time on a split-routine, just work your entire body carefully on each workout for the first 3-4 weeks until you start toning up. (See, this is why we need to know more about you!)

Use the first week and probably the 2nd to get into the feel of it. DON'T try to lift big weights or do too many sets you'll make your self sore as hell. It hurts when you do that, so don't do that.
If you're not used to lifting, do only one set of an exercise the first week. Do between 6 and 10 repetitions for each set. Use a moderate weight. If the weight is starting to feel heavy when you are less only half way through a set during the first week it's too heavy. You can go a little heaver and strain a little more the 2nd week.

STAY IN CONTROL OF THE WEIGHTS. If you're waving free weights around or jerking your body to get the weight up, you're doing it WRONG and are going to HURT yourself! Go up slow, come down slower. Go up no faster than 2 or 3 seconds. Come down no faster than 4 or 6 seconds. If you shake and jitter a little that's OK, it's your muscles learning fine control, that will go away in two or three weeks. Concentrate on maintaining control! Take it slow. Don't pile on the weight, especially if you're still in the jittery stage. Learn to control the weight!

After a workout set, wait at least one but no more than 3 minutes before doing the next set, while waiting, stretch the muscle you just worked out. e.g. If you do biceps curls, just straignten your arm without any weights, or grab a bar or post and lean backward stretching your arm. Hold the stretch for 10-20 seconds. After a good set, this is your reward, it feels SO GOOD!!!

CARDIO, I hate it. I can't run (bad feet) but I do it on bicycle or treadmil machines at a gym. DO IT! Warm up, get your blood flowing and break a sweat before you hit the weights. After the weights, do some more cardio to keep the blood moving for a while to help flush out the poisons and broken down cellular material in your tissues. If you don't you'll get even more sore. It hurts when you DON"T do it, so DO it!

There's way too much to put into this first post, we need to know more about you and where you're coming from and where you want to go. You can be damn sure you'll get some good advice here if you stick with us.

Others I hope will pick up the ball and provide a workout schedule and diet and exercise tips once we know where you're at mentally and physically.

Finally, we can give advice but in the end it's up to you. If you're serious you will do your own research about technique, nutrition, and safety. Stick to the process of educating your self about this sport and keep working out and learning how your body responds and you'll be giving out advice soon. It ain't a cookbook process, you gott'a actually learn how to cook.

-- LeatherGryphon --

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; May 2nd, 2004 at 10:57 PM.
  #3   Add to DSGBaug's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM

DSGBaug
I have worked out before but it was only for a short period of time with the football team. I had to stop playing because my grades were sliding a bit. I do a little bit of heavy work every now and then but nothing major.
Here are the measurements: calves 14 1/2in, waist 33in,
thighs 22in, arms 13in, and chest 39 1/2in.

DSGBaug
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:31 AM
LeatherGryphon

OK, so you're not an absolute newbie and you seem to be OK physically.

What kind of equipment do you have access to?
School weight room? Commercial gym? Home gym? Free weights? Dumbells? Olympic bars? Kambered (bent) bars? Weight bench? Adjustable weight bench? Machines? Racks? Home machines? Local public exercise stations in the park? Two chairs & a floor?, Spring sets? Pullup bar across a door?

How much time do you have? How much time does it take for you to get to the gym. workout, shower and return?

All these things factor into setting up a good workout routine for you. "Routine" is the keyword here. It becomes part of your life cycle.

What do you think you can do as a work out? List a couple of exercises you're familiar with and can do with the equipment and time you have available. We'll start from there.

Yeah, I know, thinking, planning and typing answers is too much like homework but I believe you really want this.

There are several young guys in this forum who have made amazing progress. Scout around or perhaps some of them can speak up again and remind us of the successes here.
  #5   Add to DSGBaug's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:22 PM

DSGBaug
Well I have a home gym with free weights and dumbells with an olympic bar and an adjustable weight bench with a built in leg extension machine.
Now I have about 2 1/2 hrs to myself but when school is out I'll have the whole day.
  #6   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I don't want to be an ass, but you might want to avoid mentioning your age very loudly...this site is meant for adults, and by announcing that you're a minor, you're putting this site in jeopardy...
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:38 PM
LeatherGryphon

Unhappy

Oops, I misread the initial post. I'll have to bow out of this thread. Bummer!

-- LG --
  #8   Add to osee.lkmal's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:21 AM

osee.lkmal is on a distinguished road
a workout schedule

yeah -- if you're interested in a workout schedule .....for gym music or music for fitness in general, I recommend European dance music.......

it's always the best motivational tool for me...

.... here's a compilation series on iTunes that I recommend -- the "Euro Club Hits" series:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options