The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to mojoheim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM

mojoheim is on a distinguished road
Any other Diabetics out there.

(Hehe yeah first post too ^^)

So I'm hoping one of you guys out there is diabetic, or knows a diabetic thats into Bodybuilding. Especially if they are Type 1, like I am.

Long story short is. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (AKA juvenielle diabetes, but I was diagnosed at 21 go figure.) And yeah figure its time to start taking control of this thing and part of my Diabetes control is starting the bodybuilding lifestyle. So just wondering if anyone has any experience at all with the unique challenges of having to worry about Insulin injections on top of diet etc.

And yeah I've already talked to my Doctor, Kidneys are fine (actually healthier then average he says, so a little extra protein in my diet won't hurt. Gym I work out knows I'm diabetic, as does all the staff (Can't find a workout buddy so if any of you live in Southern parts of Edmonton, Canada that'd be great ^^))

ANd yeah I'm rambling...so I'll cut it off here.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to mojoheim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM

And I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this type of post...I wasn't quite sure what it would count as.
  #3   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolving Jock

Buffling is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Buffling
I am not diabetic, but felt the urge to post because I'm LEAVING Edmonton on Monday morning (mind you, I've only been here for February, on contract).

A really quick dig uncovered this article on diabetes and bodybuilding: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr68.htm

The article reinforces the gut notion I had that a BB lifestyle would be terrific for a diabetic -- especially on the nutrition side, since a regimen of six small meals a day does wonders for maintaining a constant and stable blood sugar level, as well as for improving insulin sensitivity.

I know a Type II diabetic who used to be a marathon runner. He can't do that, specifically, any more, but he is very physically active and fit and manages it all very well.

I think you'll have a terrific time of it, with perhaps some guidance from your doc!
  #4   Add to mojoheim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM

Yeah the nutrition regime is just one of the benefits. Increased Muscle Mass decreases your body's resistance to Insulin, and also lets your body use Insulin a lot more naturally.

Already discussed it with my doctor and his advice was to try to find other's and follow in their footsteps. He says aside from the Diabetes I should have very few (like will show up years down the road) complications related to my diabetes at this point.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options