The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:42 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Troy

Just saw it and was quite pleased. Brad looks awesome, especially for a guy who turned 40 in December. No, he's not huge but he's plenty damned built and no lightweight when it comes to shoulders, arms, and legs.

Ditto, Eric Bana. The scene where they're alternately suiting up before doing battle, me oh my! Very nice!

I had to look up the character who played the giant Achilles goes up against in the first scene. Former Strongman Nathan Jones of Australia, looking bigger than ever, as it turns out. Now THAT is a big man, 6'10 and 342 lbs. back then, I'm guessing he weighs that much or more now.

Too bad they threw out the Achilles-Patroclus romantic angle (Brad can't play gay? Please!) but there was plenty enough naked or nearly naked manflesh to go around.

Definitely worth the price of admission.

rpj
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to sexiscriptor's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Your Adoring Fanboy

sexiscriptor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to sexiscriptor
Well, that's a definite relief. I also heard they took a more historic view of what MIGHT have happened that could have led to such mythological legends as we see in the Iliad and so forth?
Still, i'm glad that it's worth the price

Things happen.
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Yup, the storyline was much more about politics, honor, national pride, envy, and jealousy. The Gods never appear, except through their absence.

rpj
  #4   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:44 AM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
pic

if you go to the troy website there is an amazing pec shot of brad pitt.
  #5   Add to Ogrebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Ogrebear
Troy giants

The question I have is who played the big furry chested giant with the massive hammer?

I think the character name was Ajax but I could be wrong.

Anyone know?

Great movie, so much brozned and toned flesh around. Pitt doesn't do it for me, but Bana as Hector was nice......

Be very interested in seeing the Odyessey turned into a movie after this effort.
  #6   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:14 AM

IMDB is our friend:

Ajax is played by Tyler Mane (originally, Daryl Karolat), a former WCW wrestler. According to the IMDB mini-bio, he's 6'10 -- same height as Nathan Jones, who played Boagrius (the giant Achilles fought in one of the first scenes....)

rpj
  #7   Add to Ogrebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:16 AM

Ogrebear
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
IMDB is our friend:

Ajax is played by Tyler Mane (originally, Daryl Karolat), a former WCW wrestler. According to the IMDB mini-bio, he's 6'10 -- same height as Nathan Jones, who played Boagrius (the giant Achilles fought in one of the first scenes....)

rpj
Thanks for the data.

Isn't Tyler Mane the gent who played Sabretooth in X-Men 1? He had a great feral look in that movie, much better looking than Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.....imho of course!
  #8   Add to Ogrebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Ogrebear
Con

My word!

Nathen Jones is an ex-con:
http://www.nathan-jones.com/photos/n...nesarticle.jpg

http://www.nathan-jones.com/index2.html

Still cant find a Troy pic of him though!
  #9   Add to dirk steel's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM

dirk steel
Wink

**** MOVIE SPOILER *****

I saw Troy last weekend. Can't really recommend it for a $7.50 ticket. The battle scenes are really well done, but the story is a mess. The movie wants you to root for Brad Pitt, even when his character is a jerk to everyone around him. Then he keeps fighting for a king he doesn't respect, even at the very end. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. IMHO

Brad Pitt is in very good shape. Doesn't do a thing for me though. He's very pretty, but not very masculine. Eric Bana, on the other hand, is very, very masculine and very buff. He was definitely pushing all of my buttons. Those jet black eyes of his are so sexy.
  #10   Add to ilovemuscle1234's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:05 PM

ilovemuscle1234
Troy is a movie filled with beautiful men. Eric Bana does it for me!!!
Brad Pitt isn't bad ... he is incredibly ripped for this role (and the director spares little opportunity to hide it)!
Orlando Bloom is hot too.

I do wish there was more with Nathan Jones though, and wish Tyler Mane had been more buff. Nathan Jones is incredible to watch when he wrestles. He is gigantic and still incredibly built.

I like a man who can bench press a buick.
  #11   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Finally saw Troy myself, and sadly, have to agree with others that the movie doesn't have much going for it unless you concentrate only on the "beef."

Pitt is in exceptional shape and it shows during at least one fight scene where he holds his shield over his head apparently just so his bicep can be best displayed. Bana does look more like the "Hulk" than like "Bruce Banner"--and though I liked Orlando in his past couple of movies his character is to "whiny" to really be enjoyed.

But, if you like big sprawling fight scenes perhaps and some buff bods running around on screen, maybe plot and dialogue aren't that important....
  #12   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
ancient thread,ancient ME...

...ancient Troy!just caught up with it on cable.beats the shit out of"Alexander".not as good as"LotR:Return of the King".clumsy CGI's.sometimes soars,slumps into sword&sandal cliches.a FESTIVAL of pretty men!the ever-lovely Brad Pitt,Eric(pecs!)Bana,Orlando(what a V-taper!)Bloom,others.would have been better if they stuck to the original plot("you killed my BOY!!!")overall,not bad.
  #13   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Ancient Thread .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
...ancient Troy!just caught up with it on cable.beats the shit out of"Alexander".not as good as"LotR:Return of the King".clumsy CGI's.sometimes soars,slumps into sword&sandal cliches.a FESTIVAL of pretty men!the ever-lovely Brad Pitt,Eric(pecs!)Bana,Orlando(what a V-taper!)Bloom,others.would have been better if they stuck to the original plot("you killed my BOY!!!")overall,not bad.

I too, am in movie limbo. Just saw "Troy" on DVD. IS Eric Bana the guy that played Hector? He was definitely built, especially in the scene where they showed him, bare chested, putting on his armour before battle. Whoa! NIIICCE pecs!

Brad Pitt isn't my cup of tea---I can take him or leave him. I just couldn't get past the idea of a blue-eyed, blond Nordic type supposed to be a great Greek fighter.

Couldn't they get Gus Malliarodakis or Jimmy Mentis or even Mike Dragna (Italian, but hey, at least he looks more the part than Pitt!)

The BIG guys they had playing AJAX and the first enemy fighter (can't remember name) that Achilles/Pitt fought and killed--they didn't look Greek either, but at least they looked like 'kick-_ss" fighters!

The movie was poorly written. I could only follow it because I was fairly familiar with the story. I'm not sure whether Paris did kill Achilles at the end of the Illiad. They DID get it right about Aenus leaving Troy. He eventually goes on to found the city of Rome. Rome, of course, eventually comes to rule the world and takes over and assimilates Greek culture.

Not a great movie, but a fun epic to watch!

Mdlftr
  #14   Add to Uskathoth's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Uskathoth is on a distinguished road
In myth, Paris kills Achilles by shooting him with a poison arrow. Achilles was invulnerable because his mother, Theitis? (something like that, anyway), dipped him in the magic river ?Styx? (this is all kind of muddled in my head in case you can't tell) but he was vulnerable on the heel of one of his feet where she held him. So Paris poisons him with an arrow to the heel (hence "Achille's heel" as a vulnerability and "Achille's tendon" as a part of the body).

The slaying of Achilles by Paris is supposed to happen near the end of the Trojan war, but I do not think that part of the war is explicitly told in most versions of the Illiad. But it certainly makes sense to me to add it to the movie. I could be wrong about any of that--it's been a LONG time since I read any of the Illiad or sat in a Classics class.
  #15   Add to rockhopper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM

rockhopper
Send a message via AIM to rockhopper Send a message via Yahoo to rockhopper
Achilles' mother was Thetis (I've also seen it spelled "Thetys"). The river in question was indeed the Styx.

I remember reading The Illiad in college (fast becoming ancient history) and finding the part where Achilles and Patroclus are talking to be quite erotic.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options