The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
I need accountability

Hey,

I graduate from college in Aug, and plan to then get a personal trainer and start bodybuilding. I need a few people or even a lot who will hold me accountable and help motivate me. I am currently 6'1" 200# You can see my pic on this site or on gay.com under: prins_styrke. I am scared and nervous, and everytime i walk into a gym, i feel totally humiliated. Anyone else feel like that?

Taylor

aka msllover

yahoo: storyen
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Wynfrith's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:42 PM

Wynfrith is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Wynfrith
Absolutely. That's a part of the reason why I go so late; I can avoid people there. I feel a bit like a fraud when I go to the gym to lift weights, as I've never really associated the desire for muscle with muscle actually on my body, if that makes sense.
I am not saying that social avoidance is a solution; but it may be one that makes you more comfortable in the short term. After you are more comfortable going to the gym, stress yourself a bit. Go when it's a bit busy. You belong there just as much as the next person.

Part of the reason to post here, and to keep posting is accountability. That's why I'm here. Most of the men here seem very accomplished and light years ahead of...well, me anyway. I don't have great muscle pictures to post. That will come. I'll get there, and so will you.
  #3   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
You won't be intimidated by the gym scene if you focus on the one person who needs to lift more than they did the last time they were there. Soon the guy in the mirror will have more muscle than he used to. Sounds egocentric, but remember the only person in the gym who counts is you. Good luck.
  #4   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
I think we're all more than a little nervous when we first start out. God knows I was, and it took the better part of a year after I started training at home before I went to the gym. But, without a doubt, it was the best thing I ever did.

Sure, there are a lot of guys there who put me to shame at first. But, like Jim said, I focused on myself (I tell people all the time that working out is the only purely selfish, self-centered, thing I do.) It wasn't long before I literally looked in the mirror and mistook my own reflection for someone else. Now, I'm the guy that holds my own with most of the guys at my gym - to the point where just a few days ago, one of the muscle monsters told me I was bigger and looked better than 95% of the people in the gym. Coming from a guy going for his pro-card this year, that meant a lot.

Just don't compare yourself to the guys who've been in there for 2 or 20 years. Focus on improving your lifts, your stats, just you, one 2.5 lbs plate at a time. You only have the rest of your life to keep getting better.
  #5   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM
MAZIVZEMBERE

MAZIVKAROLY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via MSN to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via Yahoo to MAZIVKAROLY
Thumbs up Scared can be very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by msllover View Post
Hey,

I graduate from college in Aug, and plan to then get a personal trainer and start bodybuilding. I need a few people or even a lot who will hold me accountable and help motivate me. I am currently 6'1" 200# You can see my pic on this site or on gay.com under: prins_styrke. I am scared and nervous, and everytime i walk into a gym, i feel totally humiliated. Anyone else feel like that?

Taylor

aka msllover
You are demonstrating by your "scared" mode how seriously you are taking this plan. Go for it, guy! You are worth it and I will push you as much as I can from this distance and on this site.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options