The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:05 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
Form and Technique - Q&A

I figure with the wealth of fitness knowledge here at the Archive and the wealth of people looking for help we should make a "one stop shop" for all questions relating to weight lifting technique and form. Maybe we can even "Sticky" it?

It can be a place where noobs (like myself) can come and ask questions to veterans who can answer them. In addition, veterans can come to offer useful hints and tricks that they have found while weight lifting, giving us noobs access to knowledge we may appreciate later on.

With that said, let me start off with a question:

After about a month of not going to the gym (school and work got in the way) I just recently returned with a desire to get fit before beach season (I usually go later when the water is warmest). My friend has a whole new routine and a few new techniques to optimize our lifts.

Anyway, we did chest and triceps yesterday and he told me for free weight exercizes we should arch our backs high enough to slide our hand under. This is supposed to target the chest muscles better, which I think is true, but my concern is whether this is bad for the back.

In addition to my regular soreness, I had a dull pain below my shoulder blades. Not a sharp pain or anything, just a low-level soreness. I talked to my friend and he said it's possible I just worked muscles I'm not used to working out... but I want to make sure it's not something worse.

Basically, is it good form or bad form to arch your back for chest exercizes?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to ajwong18's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM

ajwong18 has disabled reputation
http://www.randyblue.com/pete/video?v=s||RB::affiliate||000012|RB|011|ENTER|&pag e=2

The trainer does a demo of the wrong way to do it. In short, arching the lower back may be alright as long as you don't compromise form (such as straining your neck upwards).
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Form and technique are very important to get the maximum benefit from an exercise and to avoid injury. The more you learn the better off you will be, of course you are going to get contradictory advice. Muscle soreness is normal, pain is not and may be the result of bad form or an old injury resurfacing. It the movement seems unnatural--ie, behind the neck presses--then do not do them if you are worried about potential injuries. In front of neck presses are just as valuable and are a more natural movement than behind the neck. Squats should be deep because your glutes will be a prime mover if you go deep, go shallow on squats and your knees will be overly stressed. Be wary of football coach mentality--every time you are in the gym it should be a lifting contest. That is the best way to get injured. Impeccable form can help you avoid injury and get better results as well.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options