Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to goliathlover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Black Adam

goliathlover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to goliathlover
Um... Hello

Hey eveyone,

I have been a member of this group for some time but never really posted anything. I guess I'm a bit shy. So now I'm taking the plunge.

My name is Rob and I live in Medford, NJ. I have been working out for over seven years now. I'm currently 230 Lbs. I am by no means very muscular. I'm built, but nowhere near where I want to be. I love the gym, its the only place where I can find peace sometimes. The only thing... I need a workout buddy. I think having one would push me harder and even get bigger. Some things about me:

I'm gay
I'm a vegetarian
I'm a practicing Buddhist (still trying to figure out what that means.)
I'm married to a wonderful guy
I'm 42 years old
I'm African American

In the gym:

bench: best: 275
Squat: Best: 350
Deadlift: 325
I really, dislike cardio.

I know... not very impressive, but I'm working on them. My workouts are based around compound exercises and very little isolation movements. I hit the gym three times a day. (I travel sometimes, so it is difficult to hit the gym.)

I like reading muscle transormation stories and growth stories...

If there is anyone in the south Jersey area that needs a workout buddy--I'm game. However, I'm open to making friends on this site for workout tips, feedback or just plain inspiration.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Peace.

Rob aka Goliathlover
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the board

Welcome, GoliathLover, to MSG. Sounds like you've lurked here for a while, but good to have you "come out" as it were.

Your vegetarianism makes it difficult for you to gain muscle, FYI. I can understand and respect the choice you are making for moral reasons, though I do not make the same choice myself.

If it IS a moral choice for you, then be sure to supplement with a lot of egg and milk proteins. Ideallly, raw milk as it is the most alive and potent for the body (vs. pasteurized, which kills most of the nutrients in the milk). Otherwise, if getting most of your protein in these ways is not something you want to do, hate to say it but, you can basically give up on your goal of getting much more muscle mass.

And if it isn't a moral choice but rather a "health" choice, think again. Think about adding some chicken to the mix, at least, and (ideally, grass fed) red meat a couple times a month. That'll make a huge difference in your ability to put on muscle.

I don't supplement much, other than eating fresh foods as alive as possible, and I find that my body responds better to real, live foods than to anything else I can give it that is made in a lab.

And of course it would be good for you to get a training partner. Without one, the key is still the same in the gym: motivation, focus, determination. Psych yourself up to pound the weights and try to push that extra rep in that you just aren't sure if you can do or not. It is that extra rep -- the one you "think" you can't do on your own, but believe me, you can, it just takes a lot to push it out and do it -- that has you grow.

Those are my two cents. I'm sure other guys have lots to say about diet or workouts. But for me, that's the heart of it.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options