The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:36 AM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
How utterly strange...

I had something odd happen to me last week and I was wondering if any of y'all had any thoughts on this.

I was going to the gym fairly regularly until a few months ago. There were some major changes in my job that required I start working overtime and I drifted away from working out.

For the past two months, I've had to twelve or more hours a day and on weekends. I'll admit, I was starting to feel pretty run down and depressed, but I've managed to keep walking or doing light jogging a few times a week.

To take advantage of Memorial Day, I took off a whole week just do recover and do a lot of nothing. Then, something odd happened.

By mid-week, I noticed that I started feeling more energized. I started breaking out with acne. And I felt horney as hell. This lasted for a couple of days.

It freaked me out a little bit -- did my testosterone level suddenly go whacko? Should I talk to my doc about this?

Although feeling a little stressed and depressed, I thought I was dealing with the situation okay. I miss going to the gym and realize things aren't going to change in my current job -- I'm looking for something else, knowing that I'd rather have my health than the job I have right now.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I think I've heard that stress can supress testosterone, ditto for lack of sleep. Your body was probably rebounding from the last few weeks/months. Just my opinion, though...if you're really concerned, you could see a doctor.
  #3   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:02 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
What you describe is not so out of the ordinary and probably doesn't have anything to due with changes in testosterone levels. Instead, it is more likely related to the levels of cortisol which are elevated during times of intense physical or psychological stress. Cortisol is highly catabolic and generally opposes many of the anabolic and androgenic effects of testesterone. As you rested and recovered during your time off, your cortisol levels declined and thus you felt in relative terms a testosterone surge.
  #4   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2004, 06:53 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Well, there, it has something to do with testosterone. :P
  #5   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:14 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Redwolf, is there any way you can squeeze a nap into your day? I can remember a time where things were very busy for me , making me tired too. One day I managed to grab a quick nap, and I was amazed at how refreshed I was.
  #6   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
that is DEFINITELY something I've experienced and that you shouldn't be too overly concerned about. Being prone to acne anyway, I can always tell when things are a little "funky" inside my body. During any majorly stressful event (IE, the first two months of my new sons' life last year or building a buying a new house only 1 year before that) - in my life in the last 4 or 5 years I can very specifically recall a feeling of "super crappy" towards the end and then a feeling of "major boost" accompanied by dramatic increase in acne and horniness during recovery from these stressful times. I always thought I was probably a little more physically reactive to stress than most people but I have heard similar things before too.

Just rest up and you'll be fine as things level out.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options