The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
family actually notices when you grow

Just wanted to share a short event that created a huge ego boost for me about 2 days ago.

My wife's family are all pretty athletic or at least most of them have blue-collar jobs that require physical labor, so I have NEVER been the biggest or even a "big" guy in comparison. Anyhow - Monday night we drive over to her Aunt's house (basically the matriarch of the clan) where most people in her close extended family tend to congregate on a semi-irregular basis, for a small cousin of her's birthday party. I happened to be bravely wearing a cut-sleeve muscle shirt (very unusual for me) and I'm sitting on the sofa in a large living area full of other relatives playing with my 9-month old son. Understand that my son is NOT small, he's about 23.5 lbs and a little over 30" long already. So anyway... I'm tossing him in the air over my head, fairly high, playing with him... he's giggling his ass off because he LOVES this game and two of the people next to me on the sofa are just watching and smiling.

After I've tossed him for about the 10th or 11th time, one of them (a female relative) says "I don't know how you can do that." to which I said, "what?" and she replied "Toss him in the air over and over again like that. Isn't that really difficult? Robert is so heavy that I can barely pick him up and hold him!" Stopping for a moment just to shrug my shoulders and say " I don't know... " I'm immediately interrupted by my wife who proudly announces "he's a weight lifter". My face turned dark red as we were definitely sitting in the company of a number of jocks that I consider a lot bigger than me and I immediately went back to tossing him in the air so that I wouldn't have to look at anyone's face. At that same time, the entire room had gotten quiet and everyone looked and watched me for a short while before resuming their conversations. After another minute or two of playing this game, my son got bored with it and I stopped, and the same lady just sort of muttered under her breath "yea, I guess you are."

Anyhow - it wasn't really that big of a deal, but for the rest of the evening I swear I caught almost everyone looking at my arms and/or shoulders quite often (I do have pretty large shoulders) as they squeezed their way outside of the muscle T. That was DEFINITELY the first time anyone in our/her family ever noticed that I had gained any muscle at all. A HUGE ego boost to me since even later on one of her larger cousins (a landscaper) was playing with my son and attempted to toss him in the air and only got him up about 7 times before exclaiming how heavy he had gotten and stopping. :P Now I can't wait for the next social event. hehehe.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:24 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
My wife's family are all pretty athletic or at least most of them have blue-collar jobs that require physical labor, so I have NEVER been the biggest or even a "big" guy in comparison.
Gulp! ... uh Ehternetjock I just peeked at your stats...and uh, I don't know, but I figure you being 6'4", 260lbs , 19" neck, 48" chest and 27" thighs is what a lot of people call BIG and getting close to HUGE.
JEEZE!! just how BIG are these in-law jocks supposed to be?
If YOU consider yourself to be on the small side, ...WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY FEEDING YOU GUYS OUT THERE??
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:02 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
next time you go to a family reunion

went to one about 5yrs,ago.70-90 people.i was 48 at the time.i have NEVER been so glad to be an exercise addict!
  #4   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:18 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomun6
Gulp! ...if YOU consider yourself to be on the small side, ...WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY FEEDING YOU GUYS OUT THERE??
I agree with Ottomun6 that you are already a pretty big guy EJ --but I understand why you don't consider yourself big yet. It seems to be a common problem among many of us who lift that we are never really quite aware of how big we are (or have gotten) until someone else points it out. And even then it takes a while of self observation before it sinks in. Of course, at 6'4" you've already got a heck of a height advantage....

Enjoy the comments, they are just the first of many I bet!
  #5   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM

ethernet_jock
*laughing my ass off*

You guys are WAY too nice. I never said I wasn't the tallest I am. I love being tall, I'll never tell you that there's any advantage to being short except maybe that muscle shows more easily. hehe

Those stats are true and I can support them with evidence if anyone has issue (not that any of you guys even slightly suggested that, because you didn't, but I know that someone was thinking it). But no... I guess.... I don't look in the mirror and see "buff". When I look in the mirror I still see weak, ugly, and mostly just "loser". But I see some other guy with well-defined biceps and hard pecs (even if they are technically SMALLER than my own) and I think "buff" and "damn I wish I looked that good". I guess part of me realizes this isn't a normal or a healthy way to behave but it's just how I feel. I could get into some of the reasons why I know this is in my psyche but this isn't the psycho-freak counseling board, it's the muscle board :P

It's sort of odd really, I realize that I'm quite succesful in life in terms of job and family and that I'm lucky to have a good mostly well-functioning body and that I'm doing better than a lot of guys by working out regularly... but somehow this doesn't make me feel successful or good about myself regardless. Well anyway - I hope to find success and satisfaction in my son. He's only 9-months-old yet but so far it's been working... he's absolutely incredible.

To answer a different comment... actually... I've found in my travels around the US that in terms of overall average fitness level, Colorado in general ranks VERY high (just based on my own impressions). When I go other places (particularly like Dallas or Chicago) I'm always sort of surprised to see how many more short and fat people there are walking around than it seems there are back home. <shrug> maybe there is something to the water and altitude after all? :P

Thanks again guys, like I said, you are all WAY too nice.

And with that, I leave you:
  #6   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM

ottomun6
Ok EJ, maybe Jean-Pierre Fux isn't sweating bullets about you not being ripped to shreds, YET!!
But I figure that your pics are showing some fairly big shoulders and forearms already. It will take time but, you will be getting all "swolled up" and complaining that things you took for granted are too small or flimsy.

Anyway, just remember that you are pretty imposing now, not to mention that you are seeking to grow larger still.
Also remember not to step on us little folk when your chest blocks part of your field of view
  #7   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:35 AM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Hey EJ,

I can empathize with your (rather inaccurate) negative body image problem; I've suffered from a bit of that myself. I think it's a pretty common phenomenon, especially among guys who spent their teen years as either extremely thin (my case) or fat. That old body image takes a long time to fade. I used to be like you, never considering myself very big even though I was pretty tall. Then, somewhere along the line, people started making those ego-boosting comments on how big and/or strong I was, like the ones you're starting to get, and my internal body image started to change.

But here's a bit more food for thought from someone who's turning 44 this week: There's an up side to starting out with a less-than-ideal body. If you keep on working out, your body will continue to improve as you get older, the gains from working out more than offsetting any effects of aging. At your age, I'm guessing you can look forward to a couple of decades of improving your physique, if not more.

I know guys who were super-jocks in high school and college, but who haven't exercised much since. Those guys were already bemoaning how getting older sucks, etc., etc., as early as age 30. These guys are always wishing they could go back to the way they were in their early 20's. I even know one guy who seriously believes he hit his physical peak at 16, that he's been declining ever since, and that this is the way it is for most guys (!!!). Every major birthday (30, 35, 40), these people feel obligated to point out (almost gleefully, it seems) that "we're all over the hill now, blah, blah, blah. ..." They're whining even louder now that they're in their 40's. Sorry guys. Aging isn't your problem. Not yet. It was those twenty years sitting on your duff eating french fries, not the twenty years in and of themselves, that put you in the sorry shape you're in now. As for me, I would not trade in my current 44-year-old body for the one I had at 24 or 34. It's taken me all this time to build up what I've got, and, so far, I'm still getting stronger.

So anyway, EJ, things even out. You've got a heck of frame to build on and already have some impressive size. I suspect that if you keep up the workouts, you're just gonna keep getting bigger and more impressive, and before long most of those guys whose physiques you envy now will be envying yours instead. Maybe more importantly, if you keep it up long term, you'll be holding your own with that son of yours into his college years and beyond. He'll brag about you to his friends. And he'll be hitting the gym hoping to get as big and buff as his dad.
  #8   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:33 AM

ethernet_jock
BigSteve,

WOw dude, you REALLY hit the nail right on the head. Everything you said rings so true and close to home that I had to read it 3 times to make sure I felt it all fully come together. When I was 17 I was maybe all of 6'2" and 155lbs. Waaaaay skinny and totally malnutritioned from living on my own. Now that I'm 27 I am perfectly aware that I am in the best shape of my life thus far and I'm thrilled that it keeps getting better. I've worried many many times over that things will begin to decline soon after I reach 30 (as everyone says your body starts to suck after 30) so hearing this from you in your 40's... particularly that you wouldn't trade your body back for when you were 25.... means a hell of a lot to me. And it's funny how right you are too, the few couple of guys I've met in the last year or two who were "jocks" back in high school are all fat and weak compared to how they used to be. I guess maybe I didn't start too late... rather just on time for me? Thanks again man, your comments really do mean a lot to me.

Otto,

I don't see my chest ever getting so big that I can't see my feet. :P What a dream. hehehe... thank you SO much for the very nice comments even if they are way over exaggerated from the truth. And to be honest, I've always been the dork with the nack for breaking things. LOL I just never really attributed it to strength.... I've broken many a craftsman wrench on a stubborn bolt under the hood <shrug> maybe they should make those things tougher, ya know? Thanks again bro, you guys sure know how to make someone feel good.

-Chris
  #9   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:30 PM

glammaman2000
on turning 40

i've exercised consistently since my teens&i can honestly say my 40's was the best i ever felt in my life.you still have plenty of energy;but not that bouncing-off-the-walls stuff you had when you were younger.focus+power!(50,on the other hand,hit me like a ton of bricks)
  #10   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:43 PM

ottomun6
Cool

EJ, I think Craftsman tools were made for normal sized folk - not really meant for you giant guys Maybe Bob Villa will put out a line of "Big and Tall" tools for guys like you, -sheesh!-

Glammaman, I think there is hope even in the future of aging. As I understand it stretching does wonders. Figure if "Sting" swears by his yoga (I seem to remember hearing him say that it makes him feel like he's in his twenties)
I have already taken this to heart by purposely stretching everything I can before getting out of bed. I point my toes and try to stretch them in a full range of motion. And I have to admit, its not yoga but it seems to make my back and feet stay in good shape for the day. (I had the classic sore feet after work before)

I think aging takes its toll on the ligaments and tendons. Less jumping around, etc. makes then less used (at least in my mind) I try to focus on those little forgotten tendons to get them to stay functional. So far, I can't say that I'm in Sting's league, but when I do hit 50 I hope to start doing the actual yoga to keep things feeling good. I guess you could say I'm planning to use it as insurance.
..sorry I'm running off at the mouth, I'll shut up now...

Last edited by ottomun6; June 15th, 2004 at 07:51 PM.
  #11   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM

ethernet_jock
re craftsman tools - incidentally - the breakage ratio seems to go way up when the ambient air temperature is below 25 deg. F. :P I believe this is both because of the britle nature of steel in cold but probably more due to the urgency of the user of the tool trying to finish the job before his fingers loose feeling.

IE - it's January, it's about 5 degrees, the wind is blowing and I'm laying on the driveway under my gas tank trying to change a fuel pump while gas sprays all over my face. That bolt was REALLY stubborn and I broke 2 wrenches in the period of 5 minutes that day. :P
  #12   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:47 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I remember reading about this condition called either Reverse Bulimia, or Reverse Anorexia. Anyways, it's that many guys see themselves as thinner than they actually are, and it's common enough that it has a name. I think I may have it as well.

BTW, breaking a Craftsman? wrench is impressive in any conditions. A Tuff? wrench/spanner would not have been so impressive.
  #13   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
Brent,

I think you're referring to Body Dysmorphic Syndrome. This catch-all phrase is used to describe someone that does not perceive their own body the same as others see them.

For bodybuilders it's sometimes referred to as 'bigorexia.'
  #14   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM

ethernet_jock
I have actually heard of that and seen about it on TV before and sometimes I do wonder if that's a little part of me or not (the body dysmorphic thing)... but the sense in which I saw it portrayed was people getting crazy amounts of plastic surgery to change themselves and stuff.

<shrug>

I dunno - all I see is weak and ugly when I look in the mirror.... it's all I can see. I don't know why.

Thanks anyway guys!
  #15   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:28 AM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
For more info on body dysmorphia, read "The Adonis Complex" - I'm sure you've heard of it or read my posts on it in the past years. I love the book because I realize I have a slight case of it.

EthernetJock, thanks for sharing your story from that family gathering. No doubt you're working hard in the gym! About the discussion that it'll only get better as you age and progress, that definitely motivates me. I agree that it's probably easy for the jocks, who were forced to workout at certain times for their athletic teams, to slip out of the fitness habit when they hit their 20s and 30s. Luckily (?) I'm one of those kids who wasn't the star athlete in high school, so I'm loving the results I'm getting now at age 24. And it's only going to get better, huh?

Some side anecdotes: when I was in 8th grade a girl asked me to flex my bicep for her and she kind of joked about how I had no muscles. Funny how she probably wouldn't remember the incident, but I clearly do. Then about a year later I was at a friend's house and one guy, who had started to lift weights, came over and felt my arm as I was sitting on the floor and leaning back (my arms stretched out behind me). He just shook his head and said, "See?" What an ass. I'd like to see him try that now hehe.
  #16   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM

ottomun6
Cool

Quote:
re craftsman tools - incidentally - the breakage ratio seems to go way up when the ambient air temperature is below 25 deg. F. :P I believe this is both because of the britle nature of steel in cold but probably more due to the urgency of the user of the tool trying to finish the job before his fingers loose feeling.

IE - it's January, it's about 5 degrees, the wind is blowing and I'm laying on the driveway under my gas tank trying to change a fuel pump while gas sprays all over my face. That bolt was REALLY stubborn and I broke 2 wrenches in the period of 5 minutes that day. :P
Nope, nope, nope... I don't buy it EJ, you are just too damn strong!
Remind me not to cross you as you continue to get bigger and stronger
  #17   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM

ethernet_jock
otto,

LMFAO... dude you just keep me continually cracking up. Thank you. I really need the good humor right now. My company is about to go out of business and I don't have another job lined up (I'm the sole income for my family) so... humor now is awesome.... thank you, you've no idea how much it helps.

Anybody need a punk-ass IT guy/old skool hacker with no college degree at all? Anyone willing to pay him about $80k? Please?

Clay,

No doubt!!! I am definitely proud of what I have achieved in terms of growth thus far... I'm just not satisfied yet, not nearly. In elem. school and middle school I was continually picked on for being skinny and weak.... My dad used to also beat the crap out of me on a regular basis. In HS I was revered just as a "loner" and a "stoner" because I was basically homeless from age 15... so I didn't get picked on, but I didn't have friends or sports or anything like that either. I remember a lot of things that other people have probably forgotten similar to your remark. It's these things that have been my central motivation behind my weight-lifting and martial arts (Brazilian JuJitsu) obsession with the whole "muscle obsession" part being only secondary really. I would absolutely love to meet up with a few of those guys some day from the old middle school days, just at random, when I happened to be wearing a muscle shirt or something. You know... play it all friendly-like... occasionally yawn, do the behind the head bicep stretch/flex, hehehe.... I, too, totally wish I had started when I was 16 or 17 instead of when I was about 25 (and not really seriously until about 7 months ago).... but I guess it's never too late.

reg. body dysmorphic - maybe I will have to go back and find some of your posts on that... I don't think I've read them. LIke I'd said before - my only knowledge of body dysmorphic was some TV show I saw where they had a few guys that went so far as to get bicep and calf IMPLANTS to MAKE themselves look bigger. How sick is that? The sad part is that most of them looked pretty good to me in the "before" shots. Before that, I'd had no idea that people ever went that far to look bigger.... as to actually get fake biceps. Wow. I guess when you consider the ramifications of full-on steroid abuse (as opposed to careful use) then you can imagine the lengths that people would go for muscle to be pretty extreme.

---

THanks again guys!
  #18   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:18 PM
LeatherGryphon

Quote:

...My company is about to go out of business and I don't have another job lined up...
Let me guess, competition from overseas? Well, according to the Bush camp, losing jobs to overseas companies is good for the country. We should all be sure to thank him on election day.
  #19   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
Let me guess, competition from overseas? Well, according to the Bush camp, losing jobs to overseas companies is good for the country. We should all be sure to thank him on election day.
I know I'll be thanking him in November. Most of my friends are unemployed, and yes much of it went overseas so the companies could get tax breaks for outsourcing. I lost my education benefits, and stopped college because of his cuts to the VA (I am a veteran). So I'll thank Mr. Bush by voting against him, and hoping that he gets to see how wonderful unemployment really is. Of course he lost the first election, so it may not matter in the end...

EJ, sorry to hear about your job. Times are tough all over these days. If you want to laugh, more than any human should laugh, rent Eddie Izzard's video, "Dressed To Kill". I can't guaranty a new job, but I can guaranty you'll laugh.

Good luck with the job hunt.
  #20   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:52 PM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
I'll second the Eddie Izzard recommendation. Funniest thing I've seen in years.
  #21   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:21 PM

glammaman2000
this really should be off-topic...

but since you brought it up...i support some out-sourcing(cheaper products&services;creates greater interdependence between nations;genuinely helps out desperately poor nations,etc)the loopy part is when you combine it with importing a third-world labor force(i.e.opening up the mexican border;amnesty)they are lovely people who are willing to work&work hard.BUT WE CANNOT FOREVER ABSORB THE EXCESS BREEDING CAPACITY OF EVERYTHING SOUTH OF TEXAS!if we really wanted to support the poorer nations of the world;we would be air-lifting birth control to South America,Africa&most definitely the Middle East.the Bush administration has cut most family planning programs.we will be dealing with a lot of angry parents&kids for a very long time.
  #22   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM

ottomun6
I'm also sorry to hear the bad news EJ.
I hope you can pull something together soon, we really want to see you turn into a big muscled up jock. Maybe one day you could get big enough to toss one of those in-law jocks into the air
  #23   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:06 AM

labor

I do believe in market capitalism, but I think the current outsourcing trend should be rethought. Whether the firm receiving the outsourced work is located inside, or outside of the nation where the work was done is not the point. I believe the point is the outsourcing of jobs, from good paying companies, to crappie ones that pay nothing, and have no benefits. When they do go overseas, I doubt if they are paying that great of wages for that country either. It becomes a race to the bottom. I think that when outsourcing is done, it is not detrimental across the board (to the workers at both ends). Their should be wage guaranties, and the federal government should not subsidize moving jobs overseas. We need to keep some good jobs here. From what I've seen, if you are an American that is under 40, you probably have never had a really good job, ever. In fact, I'd bet most people under 40 have worse jobs than their parents, even if they are better educated. It's easy to have a relaxed attitude toward outsourcing if you have assets, but for lots of Americans, it is a very serious matter. You mention immigration, and although I wish that all people could move as freely about the planet as our jobs seem to , I realize the US can't absorb everyone that would choose to move here. If we can limit immigration (to what is probably too low of a standard, IMHO) then why can't we limit this hemorrhaging of jobs somehow?

But then again, I'm just a crazy left-coaster, that is probably to the left of Ch?...
  #24   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:59 AM

ethernet_jock
Welllllll.... we are a Commercial Construction General Contractor with a significant national presence (12 offices from Boston to LA, based in Denver). We specialize mostly in Retail-based construction. So basically when the market took a dramatic and sudden downturn about 3 years ago - of course retail took a big hit... and of course anyone building NEW retail stores or remodeling the old ones ... also took a significant hit. So with that being the instigating factor, some really really bad management added to the equation, and some really bad decisions from that bad management (IE taking on a project in North Cascades Natl. Park that has lost us $5,000,000 to date all by itself).... well all that together lead to our slow and painful death over the last 3 years. I am honestly looking forward to a change of pace, a positive workplace where employees are actually satisfied with their jobs and contribute to a growing and profitable enterprise. I miss that from this company when I started here 8 years ago - things were great. Ever since, I've been trying to get that feeling back and hoping that if I stick it out, it'll come back.

Does overseas outsourcing have an impact on retail and other forms of commercial construction? You're darn right it does! Is that the mainline cause of my job loss? probably not.

Thanks again guys for well-wishes and notes of confidence in my goals.

Love ya all,
-Chris
  #25   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:48 PM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
On the overseas area, I am constantly reading economic articles advocating that in the long term this generates more disposable revenue by lowering the cost of goods sold domestically as well as increases the amount of income remaining in this country. Although I can't verify it statistically, I would be willing to bet that most of that increased income ends up in relatively fewer pockets (i.e. the execs making such decisions) than ecomonic data is willing to admit.

I was reading an article last week about a pending merger between Wellpoint and some other health insurer. Many of their current policy holders are fuming that the bosses as these companies will pocket nearly $350,000,000 in bonuses if the merger goes through. Their obvious question is just what is causing rates to rise -- the cost of care or the cost of administration with incentive plans like these in place.
  #26   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:55 PM

I actually am OK with some outsourcing, as industry needs to stay competitive, but I think American businesses have been too quick to outsource, and public funding of it is Socialist, not Capitalist by nature. My problem with outsourcing is the pace at which we are loosing good jobs, which are rarely replaced with decent jobs. For all the debt the US is incurring right now, this should be the best of economic times ever.
  #27   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:01 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Back to "When Family Notices..."

I had a "mild" family notice today. I was visiting my folks when Mom came in and asked my Dad and I who had the strongest grip because she needed a jar opened and Dad immediately said " Your son, not me. He works out with weights and if you don't believe me just look at his arms compared to mine."

I didn't know that Dad really noticed before--kind of a nice affirmation of my efforts, indeed.
  #28   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:06 AM

Notbigenuf,
I'm sure that most everyone around you notices your efforts. You see you everyday, but I'm sure that others notice. I bet you feel good!
  #29   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM

ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Notbigenuf,
I'm sure that most everyone around you notices your efforts. You see you everyday, but I'm sure that others notice.
Yeah you big gorilla!!
  #30   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Otto, who is the gorilla? Notbigenuff, or me?
  #31   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
LeatherGryphon

Not a 'mild' complement at all. It's pretty much of a male submission thing or a strong pride/admiration thing that might have been difficult for the aging leader of the pack to admit. Pretty cool!
  #32   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:40 AM

ottomun6
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
I was visiting my folks when Mom came in and asked my Dad and I who had the strongest grip because she needed a jar opened and Dad immediately said " Your son, not me. He works out with weights and if you don't believe me just look at his arms compared to mine."
I didn't know that Dad really noticed before--kind of a nice affirmation of my efforts, indeed.
Notbigenuff, the statement was meant for you and the fact that your father affirmed your bigger arms and strength.
Brent, just so you don't feel left out- you are a gorilla too.
  #33   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
Not a 'mild' complement at all. It's pretty much of a male submission thing or a strong pride/admiration thing that might have been difficult for the aging leader of the pack to admit. Pretty cool!
I'm sure that played in to it strongly, but another influence would be pride in one's offspring. My dad's side of my family disapproves of me working out, because it makes me less easy for them to control. My mom's side thinks it's wonderful, and they are proud of anything good that happens to anyone in the family/close circle of friends.
  #34   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Heh. Just goes to show how many different sorts of families there are. My brother and I play a game all the time: someone asks us to do something and we suddenly can't stop talking the other up. "He's better," "No, he's better." "No, he's better, he should do it....."
  #35   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Families...

Interesting thread...

My family is that type that goes from ignoring to ridicule to scorn and back to ignoring. If you do anything physical that doesn't fit "the family's image of you" [I.e., you're not the family jock, what ARE you doing??!] you get slapped down.

--And that's on the "fun" days!!

Seriously, a lot of families aren't like the Brady Bunch--so you're much better off creating your own!

#36   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
Interesting thread...

Seriously, a lot of families aren't like the Brady Bunch--so you're much better off creating your own!

ROFL, thank you, I haven't laughed that well in a long time!
I totally agree, they are f*ing insane.
  #37   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Guess I don't realize how lucky I am. My family gathers around my parents pool several times each summer and my niece, the phys ed teacher, is always squeezing my biceps and complimenting me. Once at a crowded indoor family party, I was standing in the doorway as my sister passed through. She bumped into me and a look of complete surprise came over her face. She squeezed my pecs and told me she couldn't believe how hard my body had become.

Even though I have been 200+ pounds for several years, I think they are all still expecting the old 155# me to show up. But he is gone, gone, gone!
  #38   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Jim, you are lucky to have a family that is so accepting, most people seem intimidated when someone transforms themselves to be stronger. Does the rest of your family have a love of fitness, or is it just your sister?
  #39   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Does the rest of your family have a love of fitness, or is it just your sister?
Oddly enough, none of us were jocks in high school, but now my brother (49) runs about 15 miles a week, one sister (55) teaches water aerobics at the Y and another sister (52) works out all the time and has the body of a 30 year old. I'm sure my brother is in great shape, but he is so skinny! I prefer to have muscle. To each his own.
  #40   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:23 AM

To each, their own.

I'm glad that most/all of your family members have turned to fitness during their lives. I've seen too much damage happen to people from the industrialized world's battle with obesity. I understand your brother wanting to be thin, if I were straight, I don't think I'd be obsessed with muscle either (I could easily be wrong here). The point is that you are all doing something for your health, and you can be happy for each other, instead of being jealous of each other. Jealousy is an evil emotion that I constantly battle. I don't think it does any good to be jealous of anything. You should be happy for another person's success, and welcome it into your own life.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options