The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #81   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:40 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
One month aniversary

OK, today is the one month aniversary of the SGC. I wanted to do a full update today, then it got very busy at work. At least I got a workout in. I will give an update ASAP.

Brent.
  #82   Add to Jace's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM

Jace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jace
Red face Not EVEN close to being fit...but...

Well, I know this whole summer growth challenge has been going on and stuff. But for me I've had a different agenda. I have so far, since Jan, Lost 40lbs of blubber. And one of the inspirations for doing so is seeing so many of you living everyday wanting to become more and striving for more.

IN Feb I turned 30 and looking at my life, all I saw was a struggling obese person with diabetes and depressed. I was tired of just imagining changes in someone. So i made a promise to myself to not let my 30's end up like my 20's.

So here I am changing and feeling better. Blood sugar has never been better and I can see goals getting closer not further.

So while you guys are growing your muscles, I'll be growing my self esteem and shrinking my size. Keep supporting and teaching each other and being positive. It's really helped me out.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this.

Jace
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #83   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:57 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Jace,

Damn man... you know what? It's fuckin' easy to grow muscle compared to losing fat, it really is. I can't motivate myself to lose fat for anything, but going to the gym and eating protein and gaining muscle is fun and easy comparatively.

You are one hell of a guy and an inspiration to us all, as far as I'm concerned. 40 lbs is an incredible amount of weight to lose and I can tell that you're not nearly ready yet to give up!! Keep it up man! You're gunna put Jarrod (Mr. Subway) to shame. You'll be Jarrod with muscles... hehe... one hell of a man indeed.

Can't wait to hear about your continued success!!

-Eth. Jock aka Otter (Chris)
  #84   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:04 AM
LeatherGryphon

Wonderful story. 40 pounds! That um..., 40/3 = 13.33 Over THIRTEEN 3 lb. cans of Crisco! Build a pyramid of Crisco cans as a semi-permanent reminder of where you've been (and where you're going again if you fall off the wagon).

Keep it up. I know you're loving to see the changes. I remember the day I finally dared buy a pair of Speedos and they didn't look like they were stretched thin over a beach ball.

If not for us, then at least for you, I hope you're keeping before, during and after photos.

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; July 22nd, 2004 at 07:07 AM.
  #85   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:51 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
Wonderful story. 40 pounds! That um..., 40/3 = 13.33 Over THIRTEEN 3 lb. cans of Crisco! Build a pyramid of Crisco cans as a semi-permanent reminder of where you've been (and where you're going again if you fall off the wagon).
That's some imagery you've provided here. I don't know about anyone else, but this certainly is going to help me to keep the old diet in line.

And Jace, tremendous job man! You are experiencing success like very few people can. Good luck getting to your ultimate goal!
  #86   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
you can put 100lbs onto your bench in only 3 months?!?!??!?!?!

Shit, it's taken me since Nov. to put 70 lbs onto my bench and I thought I was doing "ok". What the hell am I doing wrong?
Nothing. Brent's actually been building toward that weight over the last six months, making a foundation and so on. You've been building the same foundation yourself since November. Also, aren't you a lot taller than Brent?
That provides a leverage disadvantage.

So the only thing you're doing wrong is to think you're doing something wrong because you didn't match his increase.
  #87   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM

nnnrg,
you make very good points. I'm not sure about that 6 months figure, because I was very on/off before late March (more off than on) so I don't know how to measure it. However, your point that I was building off a strong base is a good one. Also, your point about EJ's height is a good one too. In theory, you'd think bigger guys would find it easier to swell-up. However they do have leverage issues, and I think the equipment is designed for munchkins like me! I think that your best point is that we shouldn't compare ourselves to other people (I bet I wouldn't stack up very well compared to Glammaman, or Traveler) but ourselves. I try to beat my last lift, my number of reps, or go slower than I did last time. I am progressing, because I am doing better than I have done. If you compare yourself to yourself, it is much better since you have the same body-types! Seriously, stay positive, stay focused, and stay in the gym!
Brent.
  #88   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:57 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
EJ, I could be wrong here, but are you getting a decent amount of rest (8 hours) and taking at least two days off from training?
I seem to remember you saying that you have a very busy schedule.
Over the years I have heard of more than a few guys that complained about not making gains and they were eating and working out fiercely. Later they cut back on hours and found they were gaining again.
I try to keep the basic tripod rule in mind :
1) Eat right (at least pack in mostly good muscle fuel, check protein and fat)
2) Workout (make it count- feel those muscle fibers work)
3) Rest (8 hours of sleep- take a nap if needed, and 2-4 days off)

If any one of these elements of the tripod are missing, muscle growth is stunted.
P.S. if I'm off-base here, forget all I just said, I'm just rambling on...

And don't worry about Brent, he's just a part of a genetic experiment waiting for a chance to rip trees out of the ground like RPJ
  #89   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomun6
I try to keep the basic tripod rule in mind :
1) Eat right (at least pack in mostly good muscle fuel, check protein and fat)
2) Workout (make it count- feel those muscle fibers work)
3) Rest (8 hours of sleep- take a nap if needed, and 2-4 days off)
And don't worry about Brent, he's just a part of a genetic experiment waiting for a chance to rip trees out of the ground like RPJ
Wow, I have the same tripod rule: Exercise, food, and rest.

Also, I hope you are right. I really want to rip trees out of the ground; we have WAY too many trees here in Oregon!
  #90   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
the tripod

years ago,i had an MD friend who was"sponsoring"a world-class bodybuilder.his formula for success?#1:a whole lotta steroids.#2:10 HOURS of sleep!#3:nothing else to think about.(don't try this at home)
  #91   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:09 AM

ethernet_jock
LMFAO @ "a whole lotta steroids"

nice.... good to know that all those old muscle mag fags were steroid freaks too.

1.) 6 hours uninterrupted by crying babies is a good night.... 8-9 hours on a Friday or a Saturday night if I'm lucky.

2.) 3 days/week (MWF) and Sat/Sun. off.... provided.... I don't do something weekend warrior-ish on the weekends like, well, I usually do.

3.) I always try to focus my diet as much as I can towards natural protein sources and a balance of remaining carb and fat portions... Reducing the carb to "civil" levels however is a pretty good challenge.

Thanks again for the tips guys... I know what I have to do, it's just finding a way to do it that's the problem.

Regardless I'll keep working and continue gaining at MY rate, even if it's a little slower than super brent's rate. :P Damn that kryptonite.
  #92   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Keeping on at the gym.....

Ethernet_Jock:
Regardless I'll keep working and continue gaining at MY rate
rate, even if it's a little slower than super brent's rate. :P Damn that kryptonite.
===================

You got that right, man! I've had a very uneven year in the gym so far: flare ups of old injuries that sidelined me for 2 months, then business travel for two months, then "LIFE' getting in the way..... Regardless, I'm back in the gym since last week (and that hellacious, inspiring muscle siting! See other string...) to try and make some sustained progress.

I've been the crying baby route. Wait until your kid(s) is/are a little older and you get the "..there' s a monster in my bed. Can I sleep with you and Mommy?"
At that point, Daddy feels like turning into a monster, just to get some sleep!

The kind of monster I'd like to turn into (the muscle kind) just takes a while. I recently looked at some old pictures of myself at the beach on vacation, and I was very shocked (and pleased) to see how much thicker I've gotten in the chest, arms and legs! As a tall guy, it takes quite a bit of work until your long angles develop muscle curves. IT takes a while, but it DOES work!

Course, the inspiration from looking at some of the monsters on here (Brent, Massing UP, Muscle_D_2000, Cali, and others ) helps keeps the ole' motivation going !

Keep lifting and keep growing!!

Mdlftr
  #93   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
...Course, the inspiration from looking at some of the monsters on here (Brent, Massing UP, Muscle_D_2000, Cali, and others ) helps keeps the ole' motivation going !

Keep lifting and keep growing!!

Mdlftr
As a courier, I get 3 hours of sleep many nights, and rarely a full 6. I may not be a parent, but I know how it is to go to the gym although you are tired. I generally go with lighter weights, and really go slow if I'm super tired.

Thank you for mentioning me as a monster! I thought you were bigger & thicker than I was. Well, I'm glad you are back in the gym! Hopefully you will turn into that monster soon!

Take Care, Brent.
  #94   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:42 PM

ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
As a courier, I get 3 hours of sleep many nights, and rarely a full 6.
Jeez! what the heck is going to happen when Brent actually gets proper sleep!?
...is the world really ready for 450 lb bodybuilders?
  #95   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Jeez! what the heck is going to happen when Brent actually gets proper sleep!?
...is the world really ready for 450 lb bodybuilders?
I don't think I'll get THAT big, but let's hope that soon after moving to Las Vegas in Oct. I will be able to get a job with scheduled hours, so I can sleep, eat, and workout regularly. Hopefully I can get HUGE, but I'm not holding my breath...
  #96   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:10 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
Looks like another good reason to start visitng Vegas regularly.. to see the new attraction, "Super Huge Brett!" Maybe he will be training us smaller mortals..
  #97   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:44 PM

glammaman2000
give yourself some credit,B

you've gotten AMAZING results under challenging circumstances.you deserve a predictable work schedule.everybody does.that way,even if you hate your job,you can make your time off worthwhile!good luck!
  #98   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
...even if you hate your job,you can make your time off worthwhile!...
Yeah, I think everyone deserves that. This morning my boss called me at 2:30 AM, and I kept dozing off as I was flying down the freeway. It sort of makes me wonder how many other people are driving 4800 pound SUVs half asleep because of their jobs, and why we don't have a LOT more fatal accidents in this country?
  #99   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Interrelated threads...

Quote:
...... This morning my boss called me at 2:30 AM, and I kept dozing off as I was flying down the freeway. It sort of makes me wonder how many other people are driving 4800 pound SUVs half asleep because of their jobs, and why we don't have a LOT more fatal accidents in this country?

This ties in quite well with another thread we had about COFFEE! [aka 'Columbia's second biggest cash crop! ]

Brent, with all your limited sleep, no WONDER you're an expert on coffee chains on the left coast!

Mdlftr
  #100   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:00 PM

ottomun6
Exclamation

Quote:
It sort of makes me wonder how many other people are driving 4800 pound SUVs half asleep because of their jobs, and why we don't have a LOT more fatal accidents in this country?
Please don't get me started!! It always amazes me at the things people do behind the wheel. As if the regular causes for accidents weren't enough, they are MAKING DVD (movies) PLAYERS FOR THE DASHBOARD!! I have been harping about this for at least 3 or 4 YEARS!!
If it was illegal for my generation to WATCH TV IN THE FRONT SEAT OF A MOVING VEHICLE, WHY ARE THEY MANUFACTURING TVs FOR THE DAMN DASHBOARD!! Does it mean that the new millenium has produced drivers that will not be tempted to watch a movies while driving? NO!! Sure enough I turned on the local news yesterday and some guy ran into a car and killed a couple of people WHILE WATCHING A MOVIE!!
Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets but I saw this lax of common sense coming a long time ago. If people have accidents while being distracted by the phone, why would anybody think a TV set (DVD movie player) would be a good idea??
Or did the laws take a nap??
...sorry, I need to cool down... anybody got a tylenol??

Last edited by ottomun6; August 4th, 2004 at 05:05 PM.
  #101   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM

glammaman2000
off-thread!off-thread!

...it gets better!the"smart home!"where you can use your car's cell-phone to turn on your stove before you get home!don't foresee any problems there!
  #102   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM

ottomun6
Ok, I know, I know we skidded off the road with this thread. We were supposed to be taking about the summer challenge.
I have to get back up to speed on my workouts. Hmm, maybe I can rig up a harness to hold the computer while I do squats!! Yeah, and I'll have the keyboard right in front of me while I pause between reps.
S-s-h-o-o! ONE! type-type-type,S-s-h-o-o! TWO!type-type-type...
  #103   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:36 PM

Talking about accidents, I was in a small multi-car pile-up today (only 3 cars, but still felt bad). So I am giving notice tomorrow. Anyways, I've heard parents complaining that a lot of people that use these front-seat TVs to watch porn. Because you can't tint the front windows for safety, kids in other cars have a perfect view. While I'm all for showing porn, and I'm all for free speech, porn should not be in the view of 6 year olds, IMHO.
  #104   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:22 PM

(08/08/2004) Half-time Update...

Here are my newest5stats:
Upper Arms: Right 18"/45.75 cm, Left 17.25"/44.5 cm
Forearms: Right 14.75"/37.5 cm, Left 14.25"/36 cm
Thighs: Right 27"/68.5 cm, Left 26.5"/67.5 cm
Calfs: Right 17.75"/45 cm, Left 17.75"/45 cm
Chest/Back: 49"/124.5 cm
Waist: 36"/91.5 cm
Stomach (stomach out, largest part): 49"/99 cm
Weight: 219 lbs./99.5 kg.
Pants: 36" waist, but looser
All measurements are approximations.

Here are recent pics:
  #105   Add to ashleydelfin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:29 PM
=^^=

ashleydelfin has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to ashleydelfin Send a message via Yahoo to ashleydelfin
Brent!

Wow! I just saw your pics from the beginning of summer to compare, and I'm very, very impressed. You really put yourself into it and had some great results! You look bigger and stronger, and your arms, just amazing. Now the only thing we need is to get you a nice tan. Mexican beaches are great for that, you know? =^^=

~Ashley
  #106   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM

glammaman2000
wowee!!

great stuff,there,Brent!&summer ain't even over!love the face&hair,too!i hear there's sun in Vegas;so you're covered there.hope you're proud!YOU SHOULD BE!
  #107   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM

How fast do you people want me to die of skin cancer?!?!? Good grief! I love the sun, but I don't love the blistering, the peeling, or the bloody sores afterward. I have very little tolerance for the sun, but I do love it, it's just that God intended for me to be white. I'm not into the cut look either, so you will find that I loathe loosing any weight, fat or muscle.
  #108   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:57 PM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
I think you're looking great Brent. You've made some impressive gains and you have gotten leaner -- even if you don't like losing any weight. And don't worry too much about the white-thing. I'm a pale scottish guy myself, and I just think of it as muscle cut from marble... <G>

-- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #109   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
just that God intended for me to be white
it's so good sometimes to be multi-racial People think you're supposed to be "white" and just have a good tan.... all the time. :P

Anyhow - you're looking DAMN good my friend... very damn good. * drool * I don't care if you're pure vanilla white, that much muscle looks hot on ANYONE.
  #110   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Please don't get me started!! It always amazes me at the things people do behind the wheel. As if the regular causes for accidents weren't enough, they are MAKING DVD (movies) PLAYERS FOR THE DASHBOARD!! I have been harping about this for at least 3 or 4 YEARS!!
[...] If people have accidents while being distracted by the phone, why would anybody think a TV set (DVD movie player) would be a good idea??
Or did the laws take a nap??
...sorry, I need to cool down... anybody got a tylenol??
It's illegal in Oregon for any vehicle to have a video display (which isn't part of the instrumentation) which is visible from the driver's seat. The instrumentation thing was put in for certain class-C mobile homes (aka 750 square foot house on wheels with a motor) that have rear-view television cameras for navigation.

So, even having your laptop out and on where the driver can see it is a crime here.

I think it's because of those trees Brent so dislikes. They see you watching something, they want to see it too, so they jump into the car with you.
  #111   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:14 PM

I swear I've seen those screens in the dashboards of minivans, in Portland, with Oregon plates. I also drive all around the state of Oregon with my laptop open for directions, so I'm not too sure how well-enforced that rule is. Do you know which ORS # it is?
  #112   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM

ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnrg
...I think it's because of those trees Brent so dislikes. They see you watching something, they want to see it too, so they jump into the car with you.
Now THAT's funny!

Brent, you are looking pretty large! I see you already cracked the 18" bicep mark, Damn that was quick!! Better tell the NFL to make room for a new offensive lineman
P.S. I bet you could call a local police dept. about using your laptop for directions, its probably one of those things they would give you some allowance for.

Last edited by ottomun6; August 10th, 2004 at 07:53 PM.
  #113   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Close enough for government work

Quote:
...I see you already cracked the 18" bicep mark, Damn that was quick!!...
I haven't quite cracked it, it's just that it was closer to 18, then 17.75 inches. However I intend to get well above 18" soon! As for the NFL, I'm afraid I am WAY too old.

PS. Portland has had too many fatal police shootings lately, for me too ask them ANYTHING. Being white, I might be safer, but then again, it might be our turn next...
  #114   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I swear I've seen those screens in the dashboards of minivans, in Portland, with Oregon plates. I also drive all around the state of Oregon with my laptop open for directions, so I'm not too sure how well-enforced that rule is. Do you know which ORS # it is?
I looked it up on the web and posted but apparently it didn't take. It took me about a half hour to find via Google, but it's not coming up again easily.

It's one of the DOT regs, I believe 812, about 'illegal use of television receiver'.
There's also the state law, 824.whatever, that authorizes the DOT to make such regs.

Anyway, it falls under the same broad umbrella as driving while on a cellphone or wearing earphones that block your ability to hear.
  #115   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
Now the only thing we need is to get you a nice tan. Mexican beaches are great for that, you know? =^^=

NO, no no!! big buff guys with what I consider a "healthy pallor" are HOT!
Hard, alabaster white muscles are just the balls to me! Of course, I work out in (Irish) South Boston, so maybe you just covet what you see every day. (apologies to Dr. L)
  #116   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:38 PM

glammaman2000
Brent!that's It!

your new internet name!:"AlabasterMaster"!

Last edited by glammaman2000; August 20th, 2004 at 02:41 PM.
  #117   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:04 PM

Thanks, I've never had a nickname before!

It might be that you covet what you see, I used to like exclusively white guys when Portland was very, very white. Then that became a vague preference as we got more people of color, and now it doesn't even seem to matter to me...
  #118   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:07 AM

End of Summer

The last day of Summer came & went 2 days ago. It's time for us to start posting the results of the Summer Growth Challenge. I worked all day yesterday, so I will try to get an update in today.

Brent.
  #119   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:26 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Hey brent, we must have been on the same wavelength, 'cause I was typing up that results new thread just as you were posting here.
  #120   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Got my pics taken. Headed there now...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size