The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to tom256's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM

tom256 is on a distinguished road
New to training

Now, some of you know that I have been with this forum for some time now. But it is only now where i am actually going to begin to do some training. So I was planning on doing regular training (mostly upper body at the moment because my legs are larger to the proportional size of my body), also I am going to be on a high portein diet. Like, 5 meals a day and portein in most of the meals. I'm wanting to work out the the gym, say for like 1 hour 15 mins every saturday.

So I'm not going to start serious training, but it's a start. Any tips on this little plan I have?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolving Jock

Buffling is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Buffling
Wikkid! You're wise to start small -- so many guys jump right into training five or six days a week, and get tired of it really quickly.

Not knowing what shape you're in, I don't know how one day of training per week will do for you, or if skipping lower body is such a good idea. I can say that you're legs are not going to get massive right away unless you are extremely gifted, genetically, so don't shy away from lower body work. If your body fat level is higher than you'd like, lower-body exercise will actually help -- those are your body's biggest muscles, and it takes lots of energy to work them.

Do you have a routine laid out? If not, there are scads of free articles on sites like bodybuilding.com that can get you started. If you can afford to, though, talk to the staff at your gym and see if you can meet with a trainer to set you up on a beginner's plan. They can do an assessment for you far better than anyone on the web can, and will help you set up some realistic goals. Realistic and measurable goal-setting is absolutely critical to success, and everyone seems to skip it. Take measurements and progress pictures at least once every two weeks, if not every week.

Frankly, I think you could try for training two days per week, to start... but it depends on what you want to achieve, and only you know what you're ready to handle.

The meal thing, like the training, can be tricky if you're going whole-hog from the outset. If you're eating three meals a day right now, try four for a while, before going to five. Five or six meals a day is ideal but if you're not used to planning for it (it does take some forethought and a great deal of commitment to make sure you eat on time, and don't overeat), ramp up. Once you ge to six meals per day, try to space it so you eat once every three hours (don't make it less than two hours, and try not to stretch it past four). Centre every meal around a good source of protein and complement it with a complex carb. Chicken and eggs are your friends. Large-flake or stone-cut oatmeal (not instant or quick-cook) rounds out any breakfast, and (like eggs) there are a million ways to make it. Learn to love sweet potatoes and dark green veggies.

Hmmm. That's about all I can offer off the top of my head. There's lots of great information out there, but be careful: if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. The really too-good-to-be-true stuff is best saved for the story sections here on the site
  #3   Add to AS2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM

AS2000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to AS2000
Please don't ignore your legs. (I'm a fellow lower-body-grows-easier dude.)

This is for a couple reasons:
a) the guys with big upper bodies and chicken legs look silly (the ones that just do bench press and curls all day)
b) strong legs are hot :)
c) most importantly, working your legs will help other parts grow. It helps boost your hormones, etc. The research shows that if you work legs and arms (for example) in the same workout, your arms will grow more than if you just did the arm exercises alone.
  #4   Add to skumbum's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM

skumbum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS2000 View Post
Please don't ignore your legs. (I'm a fellow lower-body-grows-easier dude.)

This is for a couple reasons:
a) the guys with big upper bodies and chicken legs look silly (the ones that just do bench press and curls all day)
b) strong legs are hot
c) most importantly, working your legs will help other parts grow. It helps boost your hormones, etc. The research shows that if you work legs and arms (for example) in the same workout, your arms will grow more than if you just did the arm exercises alone.

*nod* I want to work legs more for all those reasons, but I don't really feel good doing leg exercises, don't know why. Maybe don't feel safe doing squats? Last time as I was at the gym I left without doing any legs (other than a little jogging / sprinting) despite mental protests. My legs are definitely smaller in proportion than what I find attractive, so I'd like to get on a good routine.

What leg exercises do you find enjoyable?

-sb
  #5   Add to tom256's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM

tom256 is on a distinguished road
ok, i will bear the legs thing in mind. Thank you.
My sisters boyfriend goes to the gym, so i'm getting most of my advice off him anyways. I just wanted other people's opinions
  #6   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Squats should be the foundation of any workout program--for all of the reasons said above.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options