The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Kestrel's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Kestrel is on a distinguished road
Symmetry? And protien...

Hey guys =)

I'm a novice 22 year old at this weight training thing; I've read up, have a partner, proper form and all, but have just started the actual process. This may sound silly, but are there any tips for keeping symmetrical / balanced?

I ask because everyone favors one side over the other; for me, it's my left. As I take today to recover from my workout yesterday, I notice that while my right side is sore, I feel it more in my left. Is this natural? Am I slowly deforming myself? =d

I know this bit should be in Nutrition, but in hopes of saving a digital tree, I'll ask here =) Protien: I read about the benifits of a post workout shake all the time; but what's the catch? I guess what I'm asking is, will taking those shakes hurt me more in the long run (by messing with my testosterone levels, giving me a third eye... I don't know =p)? For those that have taken protien for a long time, how else has it affected you?

I want to build my body naturally, and not rely on suppliments. As much as I love huge guys, I don't want to be huge myself... bigger, to be sure, but sleekly muscular =)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
If you're having balance issues, try using dumbells or free motion machines. A barbell will allow your stronger side to offset your weak one, but with dumbbells and free motion, you don't have that luxury.

Also, there is no catch when it comes to post workout shake. I've yet to read a single thing negative about it, but the benefits are more than you can shake a stick at.
  #3   Add to Hulk2be's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Hulk2be is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hulk2be Send a message via MSN to Hulk2be Send a message via Yahoo to Hulk2be
Regarding your question of symmetry, I think what you're feeling is completely normal. The body is not perfectly symmetrical, and we all tend to favor one side over the other. Me, for example, is right handed. So I've been using my right hand for most everything for my entire life. The result is that my right arm is naturally stronger than my left. I like using dumbbells so that the stronger side doesn't cheat the weaker side by helping it to lift a barbell. In my particular case, I can pound out reps no problem when working my right bicep and my right calf, but the left bicep and left calf start struggling before the set is over. What I do, in a desire to keep my muscle development symmetrical, is I choose my weight based on my weaker side, and don't increase the weight I use until my weaker side is ready to move up in weight.
  #4   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Yes, exactly. A team is as strong as its weakest member -- and the same should go for your muscles. Doing isolation exercises, start with the weak side. When you get to your maximum weight, see how many reps you can get, and then go no further with your stronger side.

(Also: 8 ain't no magic number. The 9th and 10th can just get that little extra out of you each time if you can push yourself to it on your 8-rep max).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options