The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Ogun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Flaming Dreamer

Ogun is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ogun Send a message via Skype™ to Ogun
"Fit VS FEAR"- interesting Metroweekly article

While preusing the onlne version of Metro Weekly, Washington's GAy and Lesbian news magazine, I found an intersting article about social anxiety as related to gyms. I think it's a factor for me as I'm really skinny and would like to hit the gyms but don't have the nerve. "Fit VS FEAR"

My Squiby!
php

My Brute! (non-Muxxu) http://perveron.mybrute.com
Muxxu info: RedCrab
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Aarrow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Aarrow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aarrow Send a message via Yahoo to Aarrow Send a message via Skype™ to Aarrow
Same here, though I'm on the other side of the aesthetic ideal. Personally, though, I'm more afraid of making a fool of myself trying to use any of the equipment.
  #3   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
I was the same way, only on the fat end of the spectrum....I just got to the point where I don't give a damn what others think of my being in the weight section. I'm still too fat, but can if I'm not close, I've caught up to many of them and have had a couple WTF looks when loading up and using the leg press machine (up to 16~45lbs plates total and climbing...not including the sled's weight)
  #4   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
My first gym had a security camera near the desk, and the first time I went, I saw it was empty (it's a very small gym and it was an odd hour after the lunch break). I was really happy about that, because I'd always been too shy to work out in front of people, and I thought I'd maybe fuck up entirely or struggle with a minus-10 pound weight or something.

The second time, I saw there were a couple of people in on the camera, and I actually turned back and went home! Even though it took me half an hour of cycling to get to the gym at all.

The third time, I thought: well, if I could do it the first time, I can do it now. I'm just going in. With some hesitation. And it was empty. After 10 minutes, the first guy came in (fortunately a huge power lifter who did of course not make me feel inferior at all ), but I couldn't just run out, so I went on. More people came in, and it stopped mattering. They were focussed, I was focussed.

After a while, I actually started asking those guys for advice and they were very nice about correcting my form and explaining why certain things were better or less dangerous.

And then they went bankrupt and I had to move to a large gym -- but I had stopped caring long ago by that point. If somebody's got a issue with my form or effectiveness, then we'll have a little chat and either they learn something, or I learn something. It's as simple as that.

A gym, I've found, is generally not a massive (unequal) competition; everyone's there for his own benefit. Sure, some assholes think they know it all and have seen it all because they're 65, and then continue to sway around like a willow while doing a lat pulldown, and other guys are loud, obnoxious attention seekers, but most people are generally friendly, helpful and there for the same purpose: improving their bodies.

I know it's easily said now, and I would have pulled a funny face at myself a year and a half ago, but: Just go for it -- you have nothing to lose! (except for the money you spend on the membership)
  #5   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM

That's been what I've noticed too, most are pretty decent people to work out around. I do see some that'll talk somebody's ear off, will give you funny looks for walking past them, ect. I know a few members of the club I go to through work and when one saw how much I had on the leg press a couple month back (IIRC 12~45lbs plates), he looked suprised, smiled, shook his head and said "That's too much!" (as in, for him), but my warm up is probably about what he weighs if not a little more
  #6   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
No need to be embarrassed, just being at the gym puts you ahead of most Americans. Key advice, don't be afraid to ask how to do something, lift reasonable weight at first and continually try to do better, and just wear basic sweats and t shirts. Nothing is more silly than someone totally wearing all of the trendy gear but they are just a beginner. Its like wearing one of those Michael Phelps bathing suits to swim lessons--just don't do it. There will always be meatheads but who cares what they think, most people are glad to help and will take it as a complement.
  #7   Add to Ogun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Flaming Dreamer

Ogun is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ogun Send a message via Skype™ to Ogun
"K. I wish I'd done that years ago.

My Squiby!
php

My Brute! (non-Muxxu) http://perveron.mybrute.com
Muxxu info: RedCrab
  #8   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM

Same here, should have done more in HS, and I kinda wish some of the resources that I have now were available closer to then.
  #9   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
Going to a gym is not like being in gym class in school which is a team culture.

Weightlifting, like jogging and swimming, is largely a solitary activity. WHILE TRAINING, these people are by definition largely into themselves, and your arrival on their scene barely registers with them.

The upside is that they do not care if you are too fat or too thin or can't lift enough weight.

The downside is that if you're competing for the same resource, i.e. the sole available weight bench, lap lane or sidewalk space, they will take notice.

Ever notice how a jogger acts as if Olympic Gold depends on his performance if he has to deviate one degree from his/her trajectory to get around you on a public sidewalk? You shouldn't care about the jogger on the sidewalk, and you shouldn't care about your fellow gym rat at a gym. Sidewalks are meant to be shared and so is gym equipment! Don't be intimidated at the gym, it's there for you to use.

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle
  #10   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager Muscle View Post
Going to a gym is not like being in gym class in school which is a team culture.

Weightlifting, like jogging and swimming, is largely a solitary activity. WHILE TRAINING, these people are by definition largely into themselves, and your arrival on their scene barely registers with them.

The upside is that they do not care if you are too fat or too thin or can't lift enough weight.

The downside is that if you're competing for the same resource, i.e. the sole available weight bench, lap lane or sidewalk space, they will take notice.

Ever notice how a jogger acts as if Olympic Gold depends on his performance if he has to deviate one degree from his/her trajectory to get around you on a public sidewalk? You shouldn't care about the jogger on the sidewalk, and you shouldn't care about your fellow gym rat at a gym. Sidewalks are meant to be shared and so is gym equipment! Don't be intimidated at the gym, it's there for you to use.
Well said--there is no reason why the gym should be intimidating.
  #11   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:05 AM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
I think that the gym may be embarrassing for many people because of childhood/teenage memories of gym class.

Think about it - you're going through changes in your body and have a lot of social pressure and really self conscious when you're growing up and many people don't have fond memories of gym class. When you're an adult, it can bring back many of those feelings.

I grew up the "fat little kid" and wound up going to the gym for the first time in college. Mainly it was because I became friends with some jocks that lived down the hall in my dorm and they accepted me for who I was. When I took a weightlifting class, they were very supportive.
  #12   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Overcoming our comfort zone is a worthwhile goal to achieve, most people in the gym are supportive, just use good gym etiquette and people will appreciate that you are putting in the effort at the gym.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options