The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:41 AM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
NYC Inspiration

Hey all,

Just a little story of social & mental inspiration.

I'm living in Toronto now, but lived in NYC for the last 1.5 years. Just before I left -- literally, the 2nd-last weekend I was in town -- I met a guy out at a bar. I saw him outta the corner of my eye and was immediately drawn to his thickness: he was tall, but still had a nice thick beefy quality to him, with at least one nice thick arm (he was standing angled away from me, so I couldn't see the other) and a strong chest, delts, etc.

Anyways, turned out that I'd also caught his eye and he came over and we started chatting. The bar was jam-packed and it was dark (isn't the Eagle always dark?), but he was very hot, nice, muscley, smart, etc... And so one thing leading to another, we wound up going back to my place.

Now, there were a couple of interesting things going on. I eventually noticed, while we were still at the bar, that while one of his arms was big, thick and powerful the other was actually undeveloped. He'd clearly had a localized birth-defect, which we talked about later, and one of his arms was only partially formed -- and the hand on that arm was almost vestigial. But despite that challenge, his physique was damned impressive (better than lots of guys I know with two good arms!) and what's more, impressively balanced, considering his undeveloped arm.

Turns out that he'd decided just 3 or 4 years earlier to get himself into shape, and that he'd developed all sorts of independent training techniques to cope with his own particular challenges. He'd built up this big sexy muscular body in just a few years AND even spent a year as a personal trainer at one of the local high-end gym chains. Damned impressive indeed, and certainly inspiring! And I'm sure he'll be getting bigger and stronger from here on out...

The other thing that was interesting to me, though on a much more personal note, was that he was one of the first guys (perhaps THE first) I've ever met and played with who was very much my own size -- we're both 6'3" and 220# and had pretty much similar builds/sizes/shapes (except for the arm)... Now, of course, he definitely felt and looked BIG to me. Thick, strong, beefy, etc. Which made me realize on a very personal level that that is how I must appear to others -- since the two of us were very much the same size. Now, I know we've all had this moment before when we get a glimpse of how others see us, but this was particularly resonant because of our proximity (ie in bed together, where you can really explore <g>) and because of the rather intense difficulties and challenges he'd faced to get there.

Anyways, just wanted to share. It was a remarkable experience and I wish I'd met him earlier in my NYC time. Maybe I'd have hired him as a trainer -- cause if he can push himself to that kinda shape in just 3 years, I'd have loved to benefit from his intensity and drive as well!

Okay. Time for meal #2 and then it's off to the gym. Later all...

- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
This is an inspiring story. I think we sometimes forget that for some guys building muscle is relatively easy and that some of the guys we admire would be considered well-built even if they never touched a weight in their lives.

But, to overcome a disability like his--that takes a whole different kind of dedication, physically, emotionally, and intellectually. Hats off to him--and to you for accepting him despite what some people would have found as a "turn off."

Superficiality sucks...
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:49 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Not to sound like a slut but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
... Hats off to him--and to you for accepting him despite what some people would have found as a "turn off."

Superficiality sucks...
Back when I was single, I had NO problem overlooking one thing if the rest of the package was better than I could normally get. If you're deaf, I can write. if you're missing a limb, I'll focus on the other 3. If you are HIV+, I use condoms anyways. I don't think it's a lack of superficiality, I think it's enjoying the best catch in the bar. We all have some flaw. Apparently mine is the fact that I'm a, "Controlling bitch".

Massingup, Thank you for that great story. It brings up several good points. Do you have a name or number? It would be interesting to see how huge he gets in the coming years. On one of your future visits to NYC.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options