The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Community > Chat Buddies
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Chat Buddies Meet fellow muscle growth fans who want to chat online.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:25 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
iChat AV

Calling all OSX users!
Who of us uses Apple's iChat AV? I would love to talk to other members that use it, and forget about all our pee-cee using members! we can plug in our iSights and chat!
Brent.
  #2   Add to ihbmb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:46 PM

ihbmb
I'm an OSX user, though I don't have iSight...

but I can recommend some IM software called Fire, which I use all the time. It's a client for Yahoo, AIM (including mac.com), MSM and Jabber, so with it you can talkt to almost anybody. Free from http://fire.sourceforge.net/ .
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Fire seems like a cool app, but there is no video component. You don't need an iSight, but a webcam is necessary for A/V chat.
  #4   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
*cough* Macin *cough* trash *chortle*

erm... did someone say something about Apple computers? I coulda sworn I heard something...
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Hell yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
*cough* Macin *cough* trash *chortle*

erm... did someone say something about Apple computers? I coulda sworn I heard something...
I had enough of registry errors, not running multiple versions of the same app, DLL Hell, paying big money for student versions of Microsoft's shit development tools... then charging for MSDN!!! Apple gives me a great solid system that not only looks beautiful when I carry it around town, but it also has a RISC based processor, high end graphics in totally independent memory, a true BSD UNIX environment that is not only open sourced, but also has Bash and the Tcsh pre-installed. They also give you a great suite of developer tools (that use standard open sourced compilers like GCC so you don't have to contort your code to match Microsoft's flavor of the month compiler... I hate .NET's CLR. I also hate loading drivers, and restarting my system (hoping the Registry didn't corrupt), just because you bought a new toy.

Linux is a far superior system to Windows, and the GUIs are much better, but it's hard to install new hardware, it's hard to install new software, and there isn't much software from the big SW houses (like Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, etc.)

I have used Apple products since 1978, and I have yet to have a problem with one.
So now who uses a cough, hack, piece of troll-trash?
  #6   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM

ethernet_jock
woah ho ho..... better clear up your arguments there my friend. Who was arguing operating systems? who said anything about microsnot?

hmmm??? If you love BSD so damn much, why don't you just buy a kickass PC and put OpenBSD on it and it'll cost you $2,000 less? hmmmm???? :P

In truth... I'm not a huge fan of linux either and I couldn't get the right driver for my video card for FreeBSD and XWin to ever work right... Microsoft I think, however, gets more shit than they deserve. WXP is a pretty solid operating system, so is Server 2k and Server 2003... considering what it does, all the features, etc... I've no personal experience with OS-X but my first mac experience (my first computer actually) was a Mac Classic running System 6... :P hahahaha... I remember system 6... and I remember when system 7 came out, I had to upgrade my ram to a whole 8mb.

Anyhow, I do owe some kudos to Apple, it was my real introduction to the computer universe. Otherwise... they're still impractical for the buck. Sort of like buying a ferrari... you could buy a ford mustang GT for $80,000 less than the ferrari and only have to sacrifice 0.5 on the 0-60 scale.... you know what I mean?
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:
woah ho ho..... better clear up your arguments there my friend. Who was arguing operating systems? who said anything about microsnot?

hmmm??? If you love BSD so damn much, why don't you just buy a kickass PC and put OpenBSD on it and it'll cost you $2,000 less? hmmmm???? :P
I priced PCs and Macs before buying my PowerBook. I really did get a lot more than I could with a Dell for $800 more. Plus I got a solid system that doesn't have that hobbled together feeling of a PC. The thing always works, always. If I used an x86 distro. of free BSD, Open BSD, or Net BSD, I'd have to spend a lot on the PC, then hope that distribution had all the drivers, and I'd have very limited software choices. I don't see the advantage, and I'd probably end up buying the Mac anyways to put the PPC distribution on. Since OSX is everything I need and more, why bother.
Quote:
In truth... I'm not a huge fan of linux either and I couldn't get the right driver for my video card for FreeBSD and XWin to ever work right...
Yeah, I know that feeling. Video cards aren't bad, try to connect a webcam to Linux! Now that takes patients!
Quote:
Microsoft I think, however, gets more shit than they deserve. WXP is a pretty solid operating system, so is Server 2k and Server 2003...
Hi, did I mention that I have a Dell in my basement? The only good thing I have to say about Windows XP is that the Blue Screen Of Death is much prettier! I'm thankful for that as I got to view it very often. AS for Win Server 2K, that's the system my school uses. Last Summer that system was down more than it was up! I think your defense of their sad, ancient, proprietary OS is funny! Thank you I haven't laughed that well in years!!!
Quote:
considering what it does, all the features, etc... I've no personal experience with OS-X but my first mac experience (my first computer actually) was a Mac Classic running System 6... :P hahahaha... I remember system 6... and I remember when system 7 came out, I had to upgrade my ram to a whole 8mb.
I also have an SE (c. 1986) and a Classic 2 (c. 1991) running system 6 & 7 respectively, in my basement. They are cute for nostalgia's sake, but they crash nearly as often as XP does.
Quote:
Anyhow, I do owe some kudos to Apple, it was my real introduction to the computer universe. Otherwise... they're still impractical for the buck. Sort of like buying a ferrari... you could buy a ford mustang GT for $80,000 less than the ferrari and only have to sacrifice 0.5 on the 0-60 scale.... you know what I mean?
No, I really don't know what you mean. When you look at the quality, and the complete package, It felt like getting an Acura NSX, for the price of a Hyundai Sonata.
  #8   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Yeah!!!

...uh...yeah?...
  #9   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Back on message:

I didn't want this thread to go into the Mac Vs. PC Vs. Linux thing, but it did. If anyone has to debate this because hid PC's dick is too small (EJ I'm looking at you) let's discuss in a private message. I do use Yahoo, AIM, MSN and others, I was simply interested in a list of people that do use iChat AV. However this thread is now tainted with going off topic way too much, so I think I will let it die, and ask again when the relative maturity level in this forum raises.
  #10   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
when the relative maturity level in this forum raises.
hooooo... *burn*

Hey now, I was just trying to make a little discussion where apparently NOBODY responded to your initial post with an appropriate response.

Anyhow - I was fully intending to come back today with an "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree" but you sort of beat me to it while beating me down at the same time. Damn you super-brent!!! *shakes his fist in the air*
  #11   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:12 PM

My last piece of troll food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_troll
hooooo... *burn*
Thank you for that piece of nostalgia, I really needed to remember the fourth grade...
Quote:
Hey now, I was just trying to make a little discussion where apparently NOBODY responded to your initial post with an appropriate response.
Hello troll, that post had only been there for a couple hours, check the date/time of the first 2 posts. Nobody had time to respond appropriately before your little troll-fest started.
Quote:
Anyhow - I was fully intending to come back today with an "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree" but you sort of beat me to it while beating me down at the same time. Damn you super-brent!!! *shakes his fist in the air*
There is no need to be silly about the matter, I would never hijack one of your threads like that. Living with ethics isn't "super" it just makes life easier. Maybe you should take your little trolling expedition to some Mac sites , just to prove how boring PC forums really are, and how little community they have.
Good bye.
  #12   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:12 AM

ethernet_jock
well.... I'm glad I talked to Brent this morning before reading this thread... or I might have actually been offended.

That's the problem with text, you know? You can't infer sarcasam or humor properly and sometimes things that were meant in jest come off sounding really awful to the recipient. I've certainly been guilty of making that same mis-interpretation many times in the past.

ANYway... it was my bad to hijack the thread, un doubtedly... otherwise it was all meant in humor. Brent now knows this and it's all good.

THerefore we should probably just leave this thing alone and pretend like it never happened.... moderator?
  #13   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM

I don't think there is need for a mod here. All this thread proves is that I have a zero-tolerance policy for trolls. I remember a couple weeks ago EJ went off on some whore trying to hock himself here, and I was 100% supportive of that effort. I can't find the thread, maybe it was deleted. Anyways, I think he was in the right then, and I think I was in the right this time. I don't think there is a need to apologize when you are in the right, so I won't.
  #14   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Talking Hey, let's get this back on topic!

Guys,

Bringing this back on topic, Let me ask you this:

If Brent can bench 315#, how many Macs and PCs does he have to load on the bar to reach that weight? To go up in increments, how many floppies should he add per side?

If Ethernet_Jock can bench 70 more pounds since November, which "worthless"operating system should he load onto HIS PC-MAC barbell to give him more resistance? Does a system with a slower loading time give more resistance, and thus, more muscle-building capability?

IF you don't like your current physique and stats, can you perform a "system reformat", sort of a "control-alt-delete" on yourself and get HUGE?

Which software is better for getting cut, Windows XP or Win Server 2K or OSX?

Who would win a posedown: Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?

My two computer cents,

Mdlftr
  #15   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:32 PM

ethernet_jock
thanks for the comment mdl you are for to make me giggle:

Quote:
Which software is better for getting cut, Windows XP or Win Server 2K or OSX?

Who would win a posedown: Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?
if you're looking for "cut" in an OS then there isn't much more "cut" than a version of Linux that fits on a floppy for a single boot image. For something slightly less anorexic where you could still be beefy but cut.... I hear they're making Solaris 10 for x86... that ought to be pretty hot. Server 2k or 2003 are more like the 450lb football linebackers of OS. You can't put 'em down, but you can't lift 'em up either, and it takes a big truck to make them move. OSX is a little more cut than Windows XP but they're both kinda like off-season professional bodybuilders. :P

Steve Jobs - no contest.

I mean... look at this! Jobs is even lifting heavier weights while doing a presentation! And look at that bulge around Gate's mid-section....

Seriously... no contest.

bill gates: "unnngggghhh... see I can ... ungghhh... barely... *puff puff* lift this windows CE device *wheeze* for you to see"

Steve Jobs: "As you can clearly tell, I'm incredibly buff under this sleek exterior as I lift these two 85lb i-books for you to see as if they are nothing. We are apple and we will pump... you up."

Last edited by ethernet_jock; July 28th, 2004 at 01:34 PM.
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Back when I was a kid, I used to think Steve Jobs was a total hottie. Both Jobs & Gates are much older, and much less attractive than they once were (poor Bill, he must not have enough money yet for the plastic surgery he so desperately needs...) So I will attach a pic of Jobs c. 1984.

As for which OS is more cut, I'd have to go to Window's XP. Back in the days of OSX v.10.0 (Puma), back in 2001, they seemed very similar to install. OSX was very slow and immature, where as XP had the long lineage of NT & Win32 to draw on. However, both systems seemed fairly streamlined, OSX just needed some optimizing. Fast forward to 2002, OSX v.10.2 (Jaguar) is introduced, and you need 2 cd's for the base system, and more for added goodies. Gone were the single CD installers of Windows XP, or OSX v.10.0 or v.10.1. However, all the features of today's Mac OSX more than make up for the multiple DVD installation process. I'm sure that Windows will gain similar size/bloat whenever (or if-ever) Longhorn is introduced. Of course, if you ever get tired of waiting, Apple is getting ready to trump Longhorn with Mac OSX v.10.4 (Tiger) possibly more than a year ahead of Microsoft. My problem with XP, is that it has remained essentially unchanged for 3 years now. Apple, and the Linux developers have been going full speed ahead, and M$ seems to be bogged down in security issues. It is too bad that Microsoft can't learn from Apple & Sun that open sourced software is the future. However, Windows will always be fun, since it reminds me of how the Mac was years ago, back in 2001...

As for how much stuff weighs, Macs are generally far lighter than their PC counter-parts. When I was looking at Dells (at their Kiosk) I was amazed to find out that the Dell's 2 hour battery alone weighed as much as my PowerBook with it's 5 hour battery (which generally lasts me for over 6 hours if I don't use wireless)! So I think that PCs generally weigh more. The notable exception is the PowerMac G5 . Although the Macs are light in weight, they really hold up. with solid aluminum construction, double rubber gaskets throughout, and a solid chassis, my PowerBook can hold up to anything, which is nice because I accidentally broke off a couple of plastic parts when I was looking at the Inspirons . (oops)
  #17   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:09 AM

ethernet_jock
no doubt.... fix up the clothing on that boy and you've got a fine-looking computer geek. You're right, Dell makes some of the heavies boat-anchor laptops I've ever seen, but I still use 'em. The best laptop I ever had was a 2001 Latitude w/ 2 batteries, a cd-burner/DVD Player combo, one of the first 15" screens, docking station, etc... etc... and with two batteries that sucker was almost 20 lbs. But I loved it anyway and my shoulders were always thick enuf to handle it

I did actually purchase a 4lb, 1.5" thick Compaq laptop for one of our executives a couple years ago. It was pretty slick but the keyboard was WAY too small and I just can't take that 12.5" screen. It was fast enough tho with a p3-800 and 512mb of RAM.... it did the job just fine.

I guess I should change Job's quote to: "look how buff I am as I lift this 85lb Dell on the left while balancing this tiny 3lb i-book on the right and keeping myself level regardless of it. We are apple and we will pump... you up."

---

It occurs to me that OSX probably has 2 CDs because of all the libraries and modules that any standard *nix system tends to come with. Particularly if it comes with any development tools like a lot of linux distros. I recently bought a copy of SuSE 9 which came with your choice of 8 CDs or a single double-sided DVD!! talk about a heavy OS... I love YaST tho... that's the best part of the whole SuSE thing. Anyhow - if that's the reason then you can't really compare it to Win XP in that sense seeing as microsoft doesn't distribute anything open-source related or any compilers of any kind for free.

Last edited by ethernet_jock; July 29th, 2004 at 07:12 AM.
  #18   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Jerry, I got your message, but I forgot to add you before I closed out of the Yahoo window. Please contact me again, or send a PM through this site.

EJ, an inch and a half thick! Wow, that would stretch or rip my bag. It must have been HUGE!!! What did Compaq put in there? 3 hard drives and 4 optical?

Last edited by brent; July 29th, 2004 at 12:19 PM.
  #19   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM

ethernet_jock
erm... make that about 0.75" thick.... duuuur

Pass some java this way, please.
  #20   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Oh, OK I was thinking that was rather thick. Which java would you prefer? This Java , or this java ?
  #21   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Java

Neither! THIS JAVA:

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/beve...ookie%5Ftest=1

Mdlftr
  #22   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM

How about this java ?
  #23   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM
LeatherGryphon

As long as this thread is so hopelessly off topic...

Gaaa... Starbucks!!!

What is it about waiting in line for the privilege of paying for a bitter tasting overpriced coffee in a paper cup that draws these hoards of of yuppie, geeks to Starbucks like flies on a bloody carcass?

I tried that route just to be with the "in" crowd but finally realized I was too far "out" to think it was a practical thing to do. :-)
  #24   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I have little love for Starfuck's either, which is why I didn't give them a link. I'd rather link to good coffee . I fyou really want a Seattle based coffee chain, this one isn't all bad.
  #25   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
ah,something i understand!

starbucks coffee is CRAP!underrated(&surprisingly good)coffee comes from McDonalds.most mexican restaurants have very good coffee,even if the food is bad.THE BEST coffee is Cuban coffee.i don't know what the secret is.anybody?
  #26   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Mc Donald's & Mexican restaurants?!?!?!?!

I've never had Cuban coffee, but Vietnamese coffee is wonderful. Probably has something to do with being a French colony.
  #27   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:53 AM

ethernet_jock
IMHO - McDonald's coffee is the worst of all coffees that I've ever tasted. Worse even than the cheapest cheap crap you can get at the grocery store. To each their own, tho, I suppose. The best coffee I've found that you can get in a fast-food kinda way (non-coffee shop) is probably at Krispy Kreme. :P Not that the donuts might have something to do with it either.

Thanks for all the caffeine guys!! I never knew that there were so many other weight-trainers who just couldn't give up their coffee vice (like me).

Actually, when I was thinking of java, I was thinking along the lines of a local coffee house that I find to be MUCH better (and slightly cheaper) than starbucks.

However - I would still pick McDonald's coffee over Sun Microsystem's J2RE or particularly over Microsoft's VM.

:P
  #28   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:30 AM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
Do I have iChat AV? Yes.
Do I have anything worth seeing over video? No.

Sorry, still a bit shy about broadcasting my face over the internet.
  #29   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Coffee

I disagree re: Starbucks. Yes, it's pricey (I only do it once in a blue moon) and ubiquitous, BUT.....

It's strong, it has good flavor, and

for those of us who like "Real" coffee - without all the creme, the lattes, the chocolate, the toffee, the weirdo flavors - it's the best, widely available kind there is!

The sites Brent mentioned aren't available here on the East Coast.

A good alternate, CHEAP coffee: 7-11!

My two caffeinated cents,

Mdlftr
  #30   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
...for those of us who like "Real" coffee - without all the creme, the lattes, the chocolate, the toffee, the weirdo flavors - it's the best, widely available kind there is!

The sites Brent mentioned aren't available here on the East Coast.
OK, first, I would never flavor a coffee, or add cream or sugar to it. I generally prefer straight shots, sometimes served machiato, or severed americano (like in the current Summer heat).

With that said, I have been told that the East coast has a very different culture when it comes to coffee. I used to work for a competitor to Starbuck's, and tourists for New York especially would be amazed at the shear number of coffee houses per block (mine had 5 coffee houses, and 2 carts...) The other thing that they were amazed them was the fact that cops here go to Starbuck's, or similar, and not a Krispy Kreme type of a place. Sorry about that. I'm sure that if you aren't on the Left Coast, Starbuck's is good, or the best that is available.
Take care,
Brent.
  #31   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:59 PM

ethernet_jock
and all us poor saps directly in the middle of the nation are stuck with a jumbled conondrum of choices from both coasts and everywhere else and wondering... why? what? huh?

with that I bid thee - peaberry coffe, Denver's own blend.
  #32   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:46 PM

I'm scared to think of what influences Denver might get from the East Coast. Chock Full O'Nuts comes to mind. Peabody's looks nice, but their site reminds me of California's Pete's Coffee .
  #33   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:23 AM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
Getting back on topic, please...

Brent, I saw your pictures in the "Post Your Pics" section. Do you have a wide-angle lens for your iSight to fit those shoulder on screen?
  #34   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:57 AM

this thread has been hopelessly off topic for ever... To answer your question, no I don't need the wide angle just yet. Tomorrow is shoulder day with me, so I might need to visit Apple after that!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options