The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
If it's not one thing...

It's another. In this case, my NEW thing is:

Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Sigh.

Wednesday afternoon I got a phone call from my primary care physician's nurse. When I was in last week (working on getting my blood pressure medication adjusted) they did a johnny-on-the-spot bloodtest that came back with a much higher than desireable glucose level. I went in again yesterday morning for 12 hour fasting labs, including tests for glucose, A1C, and triglycerides (the downfall of my lineage, apparently, since mine have been high forever, as were my dad's, his brother's, their father's, etc.)

Glucose was 236 (acceptable is 60-110)
A1c was 8.4 (acceptable is 4-6)
Triglycerides were 1142 (highest they've ever been; well under 200 is desireable)

I guess you could say that since Jeremy passed away (summer 2001) I haven't had a sufficient motivator to get to and stay in the gym. Needless to say, the prospect of losing my eyesight or various appendages unless I get this stuff under control is a REALLY great motivator.

I'm 220 now and jiggly. This time next year I need to be 180 and hard. THEN I can work on getting big again, provided it's one ultra lean pound at a time.

I'm sure I'll be picking people's brains from time to time. If any of you have been in this boat, gimme a holler.

Thanks for listening...

rpj
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
Hey Arp,

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis -- but you can lick it and live a long and healthy life. Really you can! I don't know a whole lot about type 2, but my younger sister was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when she was 11, so I know both how scary it can seem at first and how manageable it can ultimately become. So buck up, my good friend. Things will be okay.

Now you have all the impetus in the world to get svelte and rockhard. And besides, you already have your bodybuilder dietary habits down pat -- 6 small meals a day -- and those are pretty much the same as a diabetic's. So you're well on your way.

(((Hug))) You'll be fine...

-- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:55 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I have no real knowledge of diabetes, other than hearing that if you are diabetic, you should only buy groceries that are at the perimeter of the supermarket, and not buy the processed food in the middle. I've also heard people talking about using insulin as a type of steroid, but I'm not sure how good that information was.

Take care of yourself, and we are always here to listen!
Brent.
  #4   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:21 PM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Definitely!

We're here for you, Rich....and definitely glad they caught it early. My brother-in-law was just diagnosed with Type I last year....and it is an adjustment, but one you can definitely make!
  #5   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:23 AM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
rpj, sorry about your recent dx of type II diabetes. luckily, it can be effectively treated and in many cases reversed completely by losing excess body fat. Focus on getting lean and ripped and your problem my actually disappear. Most cases of type II DM (in contrast to type I) are a function of insulin resistance; excess body fat makes insulin less effective in lowering blood sugar and thus your basal blood sugar levels are chronically elevated. Lower your body fat and increase your lean body mass and this problem disappears by a mechanism that no one has yet to completely elucidate. Training and diet will be an important part (along with likely some type of oral hypoglycemic medication) in correcting your problem. The idea I wish to stress to you is that you can likely "cure" yourself and not even need medications long-term by modifying your body composition through consistent exercise and weight loss.
  #6   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffdoc
rpj, sorry about your recent dx of type II diabetes. luckily, it can be effectively treated and in many cases reversed completely by losing excess body fat. Focus on getting lean and ripped and your problem my actually disappear. Most cases of type II DM (in contrast to type I) are a function of insulin resistance; excess body fat makes insulin less effective in lowering blood sugar and thus your basal blood sugar levels are chronically elevated. Lower your body fat and increase your lean body mass and this problem disappears by a mechanism that no one has yet to completely elucidate. Training and diet will be an important part (along with likely some type of oral hypoglycemic medication) in correcting your problem. The idea I wish to stress to you is that you can likely "cure" yourself and not even need medications long-term by modifying your body composition through consistent exercise and weight loss.
Yup, actually, I pretty much knew that (helps having a partner who is an MD!) And 17 years ago (when my son was a baby) I did the weight loss thing when I was first diagnosed with high triglycerides, shedding 30 lbs. in 15 weeks. So I know the theory and in advance of meeting with my doctor I'm already working on it. I think it's entirely possible I've lost 5 lbs. since the nurse called on Wednesday! Certainly the rate of loss will decrease but I see nothing that will get in the way of me being 40-50 lbs. lighter this time next year. (I'm lucky; I put it on easily, I take it off easily.)

The big thing, I think, is training. Even when I've been light I haven't been particularly lean. Now I want to be HARD, so it's back to the gym big time.

The other thing is more psychological, namely I *like* being big. Is it possible to be 220 lbs. and NOT diabetic if I'm lean enough?

Thanks for all the support, guys!

xoxo

Richard
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:17 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
CHin up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
Yup, actually, I pretty much knew that .... (I'm lucky; I put it on easily, I take it off easily.)

The big thing, I think, is training. Even when I've been light I haven't been particularly lean. Now I want to be HARD, so it's back to the gym big time.

The other thing is more psychological, namely I *like* being big. Is it possible to be 220 lbs. and NOT diabetic if I'm lean enough?

Thanks for all the support, guys!

xoxo

Richard
rpj,

Sorry to read your news. Per Buff Doc, I'm understanding that the adipose tissue is a major cause of this condition, and taking it off may solve/ameliorate the problem. So, in answer to your q: if it's 220# of muscle, it's possible!

Good luck and keep your spirits up! [BTW, you may find that the medical necessity for working out may help your motivation BIG Time! It certainly worked that way for me!]

Mdlftr
  #8   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:13 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
rpj, yeah you could be 220 pounds built and ripped (<12% body fat) and have no problems with your DMII; it really is a function of non-lean mass as MdLtr concluded. Add as much muscle as you want as it will bump up your metabolism and help you burn fat.
  #9   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:48 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Red face

Yikes!! I step away for a couple of days and RPJ comes up with diabetes II !
Well my friend, I already feel that you have a handle on it and will be a lean mean fighting machine before you know it!
Like the guys said, at least you have been in the pool for weight training before, and the diet won't be a totally new thing. So I know you will be fine and probably showing off a set of ripped abs next year.
It sounds like we are all more than willing to help you get there
So HAVE NO FEAR!, MGF is HERE!!
  #10   Add to jco2007's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:33 AM
ocj

jco2007 has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to jco2007
in agreement with the rest

RPJ
I'm not all that clued up about diabetes either, but it sounds as if you have things well in hand. It maybe an inconvenience sometimes, but I'm learning to see that something positive can be gained from such unwelcome intrusions into our lives. Good luck and keep training. Tim Belknap had diabetes and look at the physique he produced!
  #11   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Silver Linings

OK, enough depressing stuff, maybe you can find something about your diagnosis that isn't all bad. Like, maybe you can get your health insurance to cover your gym fees, and a personal trainer since they are now a medical necessity for you. I just hope something good for you can come of this awful news. My examples are lame, but maybe someone out there can come up with better ones.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options