General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to asongforyou79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
"GROW"

asongforyou79
Send a message via Yahoo to asongforyou79
Flexing In The Mirror

Hey Guys...i Have A Question 4 You All....for All Of The Bicep Flexers Out There, When You Flex In The Mirror, Do You Roar Or Grunt Or Talk To Yourself?...i Know This May Be A Bit Embarrassing To Answer, But Be Honest...i'd Love To Hear About What You Do When U Flex In The Mirror...i Don't Have Much To Flex, So I Have Nothing To Share...soon...
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to rp28nct's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Developing Muscle Mammoth

rp28nct
Grunter or Moaner??

Interesting question... but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

When I'm flexing to assess my progress, I'm usually quiet and concentrating on what I see and comparing it to where I was. Strangely, though, when I flex for others and on my video clips, I have caught myself saying things like, "Mmmmm... Yeah." while flexing.

Go figure.

Cheers,
Russ
  #3   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:37 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
Smile

I haven't found myself grunting or groaning, but I will find myself at times with an evil grin when the progress is pleasing, and of course, a bit if a frown or a concerned look otherwise.. the only time there might be any noise, is if someone else might be watching...
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by asongforyou79
...i Don't Have Much To Flex, So I Have Nothing To Share...soon...
Dude, you should flex for yourself in the bathroom mirror at the very least. IMHO, it's one of the best exercises a beginner can do (try holding a pose for 45 seconds, and tell me it isn't good exercise). I also like doing a faux workout, where after going to the gym, I often times will do a set of all the exercises I did at the gym without weights/equipment, just to feel the muscles going through the motions. You can really feel if you are doing your exercises right, or if you should change anything, plus it fills the muscles up with blood again! I also flex at the gym between sets. I think it's a great thing to do, and I suggest starting as soon as your ego will allow.

As for groaning, I might when I am alone, at home, and then I might do the occasional, "Oh yeah!" like Russ... In the gym I keep it as quiet as I can (I might have to grunt if I am getting tired.)
  #5   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
never enuf!

I'm a wimp. I could never be muscular enough. But I'll tell you... alone, when I look at myself and the progress I've made... I can be hot. Sure, I've got wimpy biceps, but there are lots of guys wimpier than me (just like there are guys with sooooooo much more than me, damn them!).... I can flex and I can lick that hard bicep , appreciate the work I've put into them and think "ya man, gotta make you BIGGER!" My advice is "keep at it" and work until you can at least appreciate what you've got, even though you want so much more.

Scott

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #6   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
as always

brent is right.TRY posing every muscle in your body for a full minute!at the gay games in'94,they kept my class onstage for a full 45 minutes!"standing relaxed"is also known as"flexing your brains out with your arms at your sides&a coffee,tea or me expression on you face"!&no matter how hard you think you're flexing in practice;adrenaline&an audience is a whole different story!posing is a whole'nother workout!
  #7   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Can't say that I've ever grunted or growled to myself in the mirror--but like jcnutt I'm guilty of that evil grin (though I prefer the term 'sly' ).

I also agree that flexing is a good practice--and if I remember correctly Arnold, among many others, felt that flexing as exercise gives the muscles a hard, finished look.
  #8   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Talking Flexin' and grinning

Interesting thread here....

I gotta say a I really enjoy flexing my pumped muscles after a workout! It's a charge, and it etches in detail, according to "Ah-nuld", and lots of other pros. After an especially good workout, with a bodacious pump, I think of all the growth that's coming and I get a big, sh*t-eating grin as I flex and check myself out! Just to see my hard work paying off--it's great! A muttered "oh yeah!" sotto voce is about as verbal as it gets

Nothing like it!

Mdlftr
  #9   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:21 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
I flex in the mirror and am now happier

I gotta confess, I've started working out again, after 5 years since last doing it full time. And while my biceps were a respectable 13" they certainly weren't anything to write home about. However, in the first three weeks of working out again, I've gained .5" on my biceps and they've gotten harder.
I'm also gotten more of a triangle shape to my upper body.
I flexed today after getting out of the shower, and I'm afraid I turned myself on.
Okay, I really enjoy rubbing the soap into my muscles, and feeling how much more there is, and how much more resistance they're giving me now.
And I'm heading over to create a thread for me right now.

Gordon.

p.s. yes there was a mirror, and yes I'm getting an imposing shape.
I promise pictures asap.
  #10   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:25 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
I'm a wimp. I could never be muscular enough. But I'll tell you... alone, when I look at myself and the progress I've made... I can be hot.
Scott
Careful Corwin, those words are dangerous! Remember just mentioning negative things can program your mind to think that way and end up making you workout less (like only doing 7 reps when you could have done 10). Its good to see you KNOW that you can be hot! But please be carerful about those wimpy statements Think bigger and be bigger. Maybe this is the year you are going to pack on another 7 lbs of muscle!!
  #11   Add to bulkinupbig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:11 AM

bulkinupbig
Posing

Well grunting and groaning... while posing... actually NO - asongforyou79...
However, I can tell you that when practice posing for a competition I am usually gasping for air after going through my 60 second routine.
Sweat is pouring down from every pore.

If you've ever been on stage or gone to a competitive show, even standing "relaxed" is actually flexing. This is your one and only opportunity to make sure the judges see what you have been busting your ass in the gym for several years, months, days, hours, etc.
Remember the judges are looking for flaws in your physique... so you don't want them to see any of them.

Working with a choregrapher for the past year has definitely helped me make giant strides in improving my overall presentation and showcasing my physique the best way possible. All I can say is that it is much tougher than it looks.
  #12   Add to PAWrestlerDude's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:31 AM

PAWrestlerDude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PAWrestlerDude
wood

Grunt or moan when flexing in the mirror? Sometimes. But I always get wood flexing my pecs and looking at my 6 pack in the mirror? Anyone else?
  #13   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
if I had a 6-pack to admire in the mirror, I'd definitely get wood over it. :P

No - but seriously - post-workout flexing in the mirror and feeling and flexing in the shower... I LOVE it. That's got to be the single biggest turn-on that I can do by myself without any other stimuli. I absolutely love feeling my body as hard as it can be, knowing that some day in the near future this "pumped" size will be my "resting" size and I'll be even bigger.

I don't really grunt... but I might occasionlly lick my own bicep if I'm really into it.
  #14   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:54 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
I have to agree with EJ ( sorry about the abbrev) it would be nice to enjoy that feeling of cobblestone abs, but I am a long way from that. Flexing, feeling and imagining what will be is one of the biggest turn ons.. knowing that the numbers I see on the tape are going upwards keeps me going......
  #15   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:34 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Hmm... I don't recall ever grunting or talking while looking in the mirror. But I have jumped when, on the off chance I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror. You know, when you don't realize it's you then it hits you that the reflection is you.

I guess it's more profound when your mental image of yourself is that of a moderately thin geek type. Considering that I've put on about 40 or so pounds over the last year or so... I'm not such a moderately thin geek as I was then.

But no, no grunting or talking, heck I don't even really flex in the mirror. Though I might have to revist that idea if I ever had something to flex.
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
But no, no grunting or talking, heck I don't even really flex in the mirror. Though I might have to revist that idea if I ever had something to flex.
OK, Otto talked about Corwin's lack of confidence in his post, and now I'd like to point out yours. First, you should be floored with your results! Congratulations! Now, onto this quote. Your sub-conscience will work to make your mental image of yourself true, so make it one that you want, and always try to think & say good things about yourself. It really will help. Also, how do you think you get something to flex? It sort of starts with flexing whatever you have. So flex for yourself, hold it as long as you can, and only think/say good things. Rant over.
  #17   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:58 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
First, you should be floored with your results! Congratulations! Now, onto this quote. Your sub-conscience will work to make your mental image of yourself true, so make it one that you want
Thanks for the feedback and you're right. It's a terrible habit to break though, but you always have to start somewhere. Though I rarely give any true thought to the link between the subconscious mind and actual results. Honestly thought the weight just kinda happened and the one day someone asked if I was working out, I said no and they said that if I did I'd probably get bigger... hmmm, I guess they planted something in my subconscious.

Darn all those years at College learning to be an engineer... never seeing the glass half full or half empty, instead seeing a cup that is too big for it's contents. Must think positive.
  #18   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
...It's a terrible habit to break though, but you always have to start somewhere. Though I rarely give any true thought to the link between the subconscious mind and actual results....
I know it's a very hard habit to break, but you really should. When I was in the Navy, we had to watch a lot of psycho-babble videos, as a part of the brainwashing process. One of the things that stuck in my head was one psychologist talking about how often we repeat negative thoughts to ourselves. If you think of only 20 negative thoughts about yourself a day (which is probably very low for the average American), times that by 365 days a year, times 30 years of your life, and you have repeated something negative 219,000 times. That's pretty powerful. You owe it to yourself to try to stop. If it takes a while, that's OK too, because you don't want to use this to create a new layer of self-criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
(just like there are guys with sooooooo much more than me, damn them!)....
I was always taught that jealousy is negative energy that eats away at you. That's why there is a commandment against it and everything. I always try to be happy for other people's success, and try to welcome the same into my life. It isn't always easy, but it's so much better when I can feel like that. The guys that are bigger than I am aren't "'roid-freaks", but I look at them as showing me what I can achieve with hard work & patients. It helps me see what I am working towards.

Last edited by brent; August 25th, 2004 at 10:53 PM.
  #19   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:24 AM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
the commandment...

...thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goodies.
  #20   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:59 AM

LOL, Thank you there Glamma. Is that from the St. Mary's version? Anyways, I know that commandment wasn't specifically about jealousy, but it was close. Also, this isn't an overly religious forum, I was just exaggerating things to make my point. However, if I do start coveting a neighbor's goodies, I think I will be coveting Optimuscx's goodies....
  #21   Add to Luxury's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:19 AM

Luxury
Yeah, Sometimes I do that so much I make myself horny
  #22   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury
Yeah, Sometimes I do that so much I make myself horny