You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:47 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Mistaken Job Identity

Here's a question for everyone. Has anyone experienced the odd senario when someone you do or don't know comes up to you and just spurt out what they think your occupation is? And then have them respond in shock when they find out what you really do?

The reason I ask is that in the two months I've had no less than 3 people come up to me and ask, or should I say, tell me what my job is. The first person asked if I was an EMT, the second a Correctional Officer for the county, the third a Police Officer. I guess it's odd for me when you consider that in the past, if someone asked me what my job was they would ask if I was a Computer Programmer or a Pediatrician or a Musician. So in less than a year the perception of what my job identity has changed quite dramatically.

Of course most of them go into a slight shock when I tell them that I do some computer programming and website design on the side while I look for an Engineering job, but then they usually interject with something like "Well you're big enough to be a correctional officer". That makes my day

Anyone have similar experiences?
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Red face Mistaken identity.....

Well, I once had a retired priest ask me if I was a seminarian.....[and no, it was not an inappropriate situation for all you potty-minds out there!] I was walking across a college campus with a number of other students, on a bright, sunny summer day.

It must be my "air of sanctity"

I think I'll advise Brent and Glamma on the Commandments next....

Call me "Faddah" Mdlftr
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
People tend to assume I'm a construction worker or a lumberjack or something like that...until I open my mouth, that is!

rpj

"looks like a lumberjack, sounds like a librarian..."
  #4   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM

But see, it all tends to show people that first impressions hold strong significance. They pick up what they think your profession is and how you'll act around them and they engage you in the manner they've been taught is appropriate.

Though I will say a librarian that looks like a lumberjack is a new one on me. I'd love to see that in person. All I ever see are overweight ladies who's only heavy lifting is to put back the encyclopedia a kid left on the table.

And I have been mistaken for a priest also, but that was back when I was mistaken also for a pediatrican - The lady even said, you look like a priest, such a holy presence, you must be a priest - . I guess here in the south you're either a priest, work on a farm or in a factory or in a hospital. And that's fact since like over 90% of the people in the Albany area work in a factory/farm or one of the two hospitals in the area. That and the two Chik-Fil-A's.

Now, when I started getting confused for a bouncer, that's the day I'll know that I've made it
  #5   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
But see, it all tends to show people that first impressions hold strong significance. They pick up what they think your profession is and how you'll act around them and they engage you in the manner they've been taught is appropriate.

Though I will say a librarian that looks like a lumberjack is a new one on me. I'd love to see that in person. All I ever see are overweight ladies who's only heavy lifting is to put back the encyclopedia a kid left on the table.

And I have been mistaken for a priest also, but that was back when I was mistaken also for a pediatrican - The lady even said, you look like a priest, such a holy presence, you must be a priest - . I guess here in the south you're either a priest, work on a farm or in a factory or in a hospital. And that's fact since like over 90% of the people in the Albany area work in a factory/farm or one of the two hospitals in the area. That and the two Chik-Fil-A's.

Now, when I started getting confused for a bouncer, that's the day I'll know that I've made it
Go here to see what I look like:

http://www.BigMuscle.com/profile.phtml?uid=arpeejay

Naoyuki and I will be in Atlanta for Labor Day weekend, visiting my kids plus other friends and family (my nephew is finishing up basic training at Ft. Benning.) C'mon up if you want to see what I look like in person! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #6   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM

arpeejay: That's a pretty killer back shot you have at that site. Tempting offer, shall I tempt fate and face the dangers of drivers who were trained on tractors driving up I-75 for the first time for the labor day weekend... Anyone who's ever lived in Atl knows to stay off the roads in the area during any major holiday, or between the hours of 1PM-7PM Friday afternoons But it would give me an excellent reason to head to ATL and maybe checkout my old college. I'll have to give that one some thought.
  #7   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
hey all,

I've had a few of these moments, myself.... When I was living in NYC, I was hanging out with a friend one Saturday afternoon at Washingtong Sq Park and got approached by some guy who actually asked me if I wanted to work as a bouncer at the Limelight (back when it was Limelight) on Saturday nights. Now, I have no real fighting skills, so I didn't really take the offer seriously -- particularly since the Sat night is a str8 night, and so there would acutally be real violance-laden situations to defuse. But it was nice to be asked...

And somewhere around the same time, I got picked up by a hot guy at a bar in the East Village. I was wearing a tight muscle-tshirt of some kind and looking kinda big, particularly in relation to the often-waifish East Village men. Anyways, after some initial chit-chat, the guy asked me what I did for a living. When I said "I teach graduate courses at New School University" he just about fell off his chair. Even better was his slightly-drunken response: "What do you teach? Bodybuilding 101?" *chuckle*

So I've learned never to make assumptions about what people do for work just by what they look like. Or, for that matter, to make assumptions about what people are like based on what they do for a living. Given my current job-hunt status here in Toronto, I'll soon be a VERY over-educated waiter.

-- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP

Last edited by massingUP; August 26th, 2004 at 02:11 PM.
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM
LeatherGryphon

I fondly remember the time I was browsing in a music store in Washington DC and a nice looking young man came up and was sure I was a wrestler in town for the match that night.

I should have signed his paper and said "Sure kid, here y'go." instead of disappointing him.
  #9   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM

paarke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to paarke
If arpeejay worked in Birmingham Central Library I might finally take my books back on time. I think I currently owe ?56 in fines! Anyway, I have been mistaken for both a bouncer and a priest, maybe I should wear less black. I also seem to get mistaken for sales assistants whenever I go shopping. People come up to me and start asking questions about microwaves or u bends. Very strange. I'm probably just as guilty as everyone else at making assumptions though. I was visiting somone in hospital last year. Each day I arrived at the same time, and I'd see a particularly huge guy in the car park, usually bulging nicely out of his tight t shirt. I just assumed he was a security guard or perhaps in maintenance, so I was a bit surprised when I went early at the weekend and saw him on the ward treating his patients.
  #10   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Careful, Paarke! Flattery (in my case) will get you everywhere! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #11   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
years ago...

...when i was still dancing{but big for a dancer}the theater we were playing in Houston was attatched to a sports arena.some cops wanted to know if i was"Mad Dog"somebody-or-other(wrestling was in town)when i first moved into the neighborhood i live in now,the assumption was that i was a cop.(big white dude)sometimes i work it.
  #12   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:05 PM

You know, the more I think of it, most of the cops in the area are pretty big. They either fit into the catagory of "Belly bumps the car stearing wheel" or "Does this guy pop roids like candy?" On occasion one might run into a rookie in South GA that's one of those Barney Fife types, but if you give them a year or two they usually end up looking like Catagory A or B.

That's the solution guys, everyone sign up to be correctional officer and patrolman and in no time you'll be the size of a barn. Hey at least you get a shinny badge.

Scott
  #13   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:37 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
OK,i'm going to do it!

speaking of job confusion...i used to know a male hooker.6'4"an easy 230 lbs.built like a brick shithouse.hung like an elephant.nelly as the day is long.(I happen to find that an irresistable quality. i LOVE big,nelly guys)he found out the San Fran police dept.was actively recruiting gay officers.he made it all the way through the academy.got on the street.turns out,police were not very popular in SF at that time(mid-80's)he came back to NY,returned to his previous profession WITH THE UNIFORM!guess he just liked the clothes.
  #14   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Can't say that anyone has ever come up to me and guessed what I did because of my build or otherwise...closest I've ever come is someone at a party saying "hey, I bet you played football in school." First time someone mistook me for a "jock" and I loved it!
  #15   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:05 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
great thread!!!

I've had the cop one quite a few times! I like to shave my hair really short and when I wear this one dark blue plain cotton t-shirt that fits me pretty well... I seem to get asked that question at least once every single time I wear it. I'm sure it has to do with being tall and sort of intimmidating looking. I've also found that having the penchant for martial arts and fighting sort of seems to give me a fairly confident and strong-looking walk that maybe gets confused for cop stature. I've never really thought of it as a compliment though because cops come in so many different shapes and sizes and I personally have a really difficult time with authority to begin with.... so... go figure.

I've also had the "you must have been a football player in HS" one once - but it was a guy who was hitting on me........ funny thing is, he was doing it RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY WIFE. I admit though, that I liked it... that WAS a big compliment for me. Particularly since I didn't play in high school! :P

I have also - not necessarily been mistaken for - but asked to be a bouncer once. That was a big compliment to my ego too.... :P The president of the company I used to work for... well I still work for him... but I have like a week left. Anyway... he owns a couple nightclubs downtown and asked me once if I'd like a night job too. :P

Anyhow, my $0.02... cool thread.
  #16   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Notbigenuff: If that's you in the Avatar than I can easily see why someone would mistaken you for a football player I did have someone ask me the same thing last year this time. What made it even more profound was that I later found out that this guy has worked as a sports psychologist with numerous amateur and professional athletes and sports teams including the Kansas City Royals, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the Cincinnati Reds. So he knows what he is talking about...

This is turning out to be an interesting thread indeed.
  #17   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:21 PM

Notbigenuff
It's Me...

Quote:
Notbigenuff: If that's you in the Avatar than I can easily see why someone would mistaken you for a football player
Yep, it's me in the avatar. I picked it because even though the quality of the photo could be better I really liked the way it made my arm look.
  #18   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Well you're right, they do display your arms *really* well. How big are they... I'd love to have arms that fill up an entire pic

Scott
  #19   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Well you're right, they do display your arms *really* well. How big are they... I'd love to have arms that fill up an entire pic

Scott
You probably already do--it's all about camera angle I think. Your arms are about a half inch bigger than mine based on your profile's stats. But fortunately, I do seem to be finally growing again (though I'm working on definition for the most part these days) so maybe I will catch up to you. Of course, given your spectacular growth, as per your pics on another thread, I doubt it!
  #20   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Notbigenuff: That's cool that they've started to grow again. Mine have been stuck around 17.5-17.75 for the past few months. I just can't seem to spurt them into growth. I hit them hard once a week now, but that seems to have little effect. I just can't really curl any true amount of weight since my arms are fairly long, but I can do Tricep Exercises all day long without really ever burning them out.. most of the machines I've maxed out for tricep (Skull crushers@ 300lbs). So unfortunetly I'm not about to go with freeweights doing the same exercises, my shoulders wouldn't handle that much weight above my head (right now)

Any tips for shocking some growth into these arms of mine?

So now we've seen people mistaken for Cops, Football players, wrestlers and Bouncers (still waiting for someone to mistaken me for that) and of course those massive Walmart/Target Associates.

So does anyone have anything weirder?

Scott
  #21   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
Quote:
So does anyone have anything weirder?
I've been mistaken for a high school student too many times to count... but I think that's not what you mean.
  #22   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2004, 03:22 PM

paarke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to paarke
I've told you before, get arms like the ones in your pic and no one will mistake you for a student again! Reminds me of when I was at school and I mistook a new geography teacher for one of the sixth form students. Didn't do that twice, they almost found my body floating in an ox bow lake.
  #23   Add to muscleUP2me's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:19 AM

muscleUP2me has disabled reputation
When I grow up I wanna be just like you

Well, I'm not a big guy, so I don't get mistaken for a cop due to my size. However, when I wear my SFPD uniform, hit the gay bars during a raffle "giving out tickets" to raise money for charity, about 1/4 of the guys swear I'm a real cop. Don't know how much this is due to my attitude, the authenticity of the uniform, or their own wishful projections.

I'm an honorary firefighter with my local department (never been a real one) so when I'm doing a ride-along or out wearing one of my numerous fire department tee shirts (I collect em if you want to send me some :-), people will see me and wave or have their little kids meet me. Sometimes I don't have the heart to say "well, I'm not really a fire fighter." It would break those 5 year old hearts!

-MU2M
  #24   Add to bigbearny's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:13 AM

bigbearny
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbearny
nothing too strange here.. just the normal mistakes of "Did you play football?" or "You should do Pro Wrestling!" of course between my lack of want to hurt anyone or myself both of those are waay off from my being a Network admin/geek
  #25   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
A couple of "aren't you..." or "did you..." questions

Hi, guys! Thought I'd chime in here.

The most recent "aren't you..." just happened this week in Dallas. Went into a Subway and the guy behind the counter (my height but about 70 pounds lighter) asked me, "Aren't you that wrestler on TV, {some Texas wreslter's name I didn't quite cath}?" When I said no, he actually asked me if I was sure...I'm pretty sure I haven't wreslted in Texas or anywhere else on TV.

A year ago, I went to a wedding where the groom was in the Secret Service as were all the groom's men, all in their late 20's or early 30's. It was an ouside reseption here in Virginia, so I had on some shades, had just gotten a haircut, and was in a dark suit...at least 5 of them asked me if I was some higher up officer or something in the Secret Service they hadn't met yet and didn't believe I was a civilian...clothes and a haircut do change your image.

I've been asked twice if I'm some NFL player...thank, you no...I'll keep my knees.

I get asked about once every couple of months now:
"Did you play football?" (nope...I was skinny as a rail until I was about 20)
"Did you play basketball?" (nope...I could run...I could dribble a ball...if I did them at the same time, someone got hurt...usually me...I was tall, lanky and TOTALLY uncoordinated untill the size caught up with the height)

Once I actually did get asked if I was some bodybuilder...some people just mistake big for built (I miss that Polo shirt a lot!!!). That sure did make me smile for a while, though!

I've been away for a while on business and I'm REALLY enjoying all the new threads! You guys are a lot of fun!!!

Lucas
  #26   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
Lucas, that is nothing short of awesome. Secret service and NFL!? Damn. Also the fact that you were "skinny as a rail until I was about 20"... you must be living it up now.

While I was at the gym today I remembered a mistaken identity from college... my freshman roommate told me once that when he first met me he thought I was on the track and field team because I had such large legs. I think I wore more shorts from that point on!
  #27   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Great story, Lucas, and your stats are, too. Have you posted pix? If not, WHY not? :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #28   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
A silly memory...

Quite a few years ago I was in Provincetown with my then boyfriend for some special-event weekend with guest speakers, club nights, all that stuff. My boyfriend was a good friend of the weekend's organizer so we were helping out with arangements.

Well... one of the special guests was Bob Paris. My boyfriend was a bit of a star-f*cker and all ga-ga for Bob so he wheedled his way into our picking Bob up at the small P-town airport and driving him to his guest house. Bob was a bit of a block of wood in the conversation department, but maybe that was due to the red-eye from the west coast and then the 8 passenger, Cape-Air puddlejumper.

This must have been just around the time he broke up with Rod whats-his-name as I asked him how many books he had written and he said he had a couple of body-building books out, as well as an autobiography he had written with "another person". La!

Anyhu.... We got to the guest house; a frilly resort complex in the West End with a waifboy skimming rosepetals out of the pool and the two middleaged owners in kaftans, four kick-dogs all a-wagging their tails in excitement, and all they know is that this famous big bodybuilder is coming to stay at their bed & breakfast. I grab the bags and walk up the path with the b.f. and Bob Paris a few steps behind, the two owners take a look at us... and start shaking my hand and grinning to beat the band: "Oh, Mr. Paris! It's so nice to have you staying with us!" Boyfriend:embarrassed.... Bob:stoic....Me:elated!

Yowza, that was a great moment!
  #29   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:52 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Any tips for shocking some growth into these arms of mine?
Optimusx, no real tips--just started to force myself to use bigger/heavier weights. Gotta lift big to be big!

#30   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLittleTim
Quite a few years ago I was in Provincetown with my then boyfriend for some special-event weekend with guest speakers, club nights, all that stuff. My boyfriend was a good friend of the weekend's organizer so we were helping out with arangements.
Yowza indeed! If you were as big then as you are now then you outbeefed Paris so why wouldn't they think so? 5'6 and 250 lbs.? Criminy! I'm not sure how I missed seeing yer pic before but it's a damned hot one!

xoxo

Richard
  #31   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
Optimusx, no real tips--just started to force myself to use bigger/heavier weights. Gotta lift big to be big!

NBE, just WHERE in Michigan are you?! I think I need to take a sight-seeing trip!

xoxo

Richard

in Ann Arbor, y'know...
  #32   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
NBE, just WHERE in Michigan are you?! I think I need to take a sight-seeing trip!

xoxo

Richard

in Ann Arbor, y'know...
Rest assured that I'm closer than you think, especially on football Saturdays (Go Blue!)...
  #33   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:53 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
Arpeejay, are you organizing a tour? I would like to request a spot if there are any available...
  #34   Add to MuscleAvatar's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:24 PM

MuscleAvatar is on a distinguished road
Maybe they are CIA agents....
  #35   Add to kfarnz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM

kfarnz is on a distinguished road
Well, it wasn't a "mistaken job identity"... since it was made by my boss.. but at our annual award banquet the Executive Director was introducing the staff, and when he got to me he introduced me as "our Publications Coordinator and Bouncer."

Granted, I was leaning against the doorframe of the entrance which no doubt helped with "the look"... but I think my shaved head, goatee, and 6'2", 220# had something to do with it too.

Other than that... can't think of any other instance...
  #36   Add to audobahn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:21 PM

audobahn has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to audobahn
Not a mistaken job identity, but I'm glad to know that NBE roots for the right team
  #37   Add to Phlex's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Phlex
Questioned in the Gym

Wednesday at the drinking fountain, a young guy, very good build, asked me if I were a wrestler, he thought my shoulders/back looked like it.

I don't think he meant 'pro wrestler', one of those showbiz people (who are real huge; I'm not), but like a freestyle wrestler.

Still, at age 51, it's kind of nice to be asked. I heard him tell his training partner that I wasn't a wrestler, so they had evidently talked about it.
  #38   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM

New one for me

Hey guys,

Well today I was chatting a bit with a guy at the gym who's set several powerlifting records and most recently won the World Series Bodybuilding Comp. in Canada this past July for his weight class. Well, near the end of the conversation he asks "What was it that you do again? Competative Bodybuilder?" I just kinda stood there for a second looking for an answer. I politely told him that I was a web designers/programmer and on the off chance, engineer when the chance arose. He then replied "Oh yeah, you graduated with an engineering degree, you told me that a while back."

Now that was a new one on me. Needless to say I'm running on high right now because of it

Scott
  #39   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM

As well you should be, Scott!

xoxo

richard

Quick Reply
Bold