You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:26 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
Inept users

Ever get the feeling that all of your entires are being ignored....well, it might help if you look in your profile to find that you are listed as "invisible" talk about true lurker status.. well, hope anything new that I might add appears correctly now.. or maybe it always has, and I make poor comments..
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:47 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
well, I saw this post, and now I'm replying. So there!
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:04 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
inept?you bet!

i've been on the internet for less than a year.this was the only site that consistently interested me.before i got over my web paranoia;i entered a profile here that evidently X-ed me out of posting(i didn't know what half the entries meant)once i was ready to stop lurking,it took FOREVER to straighten things out.(many thanks to o'melissokomos&flexodus for their patience&help)now i'm afraid to change ANYTHING for fear i'll have to start over.&i like being invisible.it's my favorite super-power.
  #4   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Well I've been on the internet in some fashion or form since 1994 (Think summer camp at Clemson for Sci/Eng) And I've always been paranoid about any public board where personal info is stored. I've seen on another board where the operator was identified by his pic and employees at his work found out about his "intererst" and caused some issues and tension there.

The reality is that sooner or later someone will find out. IP records are saved on hundreds of servers. You ISP records when you log on and when you logoff, where you go how long you stay there, remote servers record every bit of data they can get their grubby little processors on.

Privacy on the Internet is an illusion. Anonymity on the Internet is an illusion.
Even though I've not posted pics with my face on this baord (yet) Someone will probably recognize something hanging in my room one day, or they'll notice my stances/clothing along with my name and maybe one day in public someone will put two and two togther.

So the point I guess I'm trying to make is that even with the invisible switch set it's only preventing you from creating connections on this board. And you're doing a disservice first to yourself and second to the board. Its the people that make this board unique and special. But some people like the comfort found in illusion. To each his own.

Now everyone take a deep breath, calm down and return to life as usual (invisible or otherwise).

Scott
  #5   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:44 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Well I've been on the internet in some fashion or form since 1994 (Think summer camp at Clemson for Sci/Eng) And I've always been paranoid about any public board where personal info is stored. I've seen on another board where the operator was identified by his pic and employees at his work found out about his "intererst" and caused some issues and tension there.
I was reading and posting to (D)ARPANET in the early to mid 1980s. I'm a regular poster to usenet (soc.motss) for YEARS. I'm old and I'm a geek and I'M PROUD OF IT (and as I've posted here before, I have the degree from Carnegie Mellon to prove my total geekiness)

I've long ago decided to be honest about my life. For example, I am a rotten speller. It has been the source of much amusement in my usenet career. Today, I flamed a cow-orker (misspelling intentional) and spelled "s-o-u-l" as "s-o-l-e". I was teased, and I told a youthful cow-orker to deja-google me on soc.motss and see all the flames about my bad spelling. He did, and was quite amused.

I fully expect people to find out about everything and anything that I do on the internet. If they do, well, I'm prepared. If they don't, well, the secret is safe. I've even admitted to people that I post stories here

Peace!
Scott

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Privacy on the Internet is an illusion. Anonymity on the Internet is an illusion. ...
I don't understand what the paranoia is about. I've put WAY more than enough information on this site for almost anyone to figure out who I am. However, I see no reason for being paranoid about that... what would I be afraid of? I am only honest & upbeat, why would I care if someone in real life finds this site? Just don't post anything you would be embarrassed if it were on TV. That's my 2?.
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:08 PM

I didn't know that Scott (Corwin) was posting about a very similar idea, while I was writing my last post. I really didn't mean to do a bad paraphrase of you message. I guess great minds think alike? (Although I never went to any school near the class of CMU, that does qualify you for ?ber-geek status IMHO.)
  #8   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:29 PM

glammaman2000
not the point

i'm over the paranoia.i'm now more worried about my own inability to control the consequences of pushing the wrong button.&what would i gain by being"visible"?faster response time?this is something i do to relax.tranquilo,guy.
  #9   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:07 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
i'm over the paranoia.i'm now more worried about my own inability to control the consequences of pushing the wrong button.&what would i gain by being"visible"?faster response time?this is something i do to relax.tranquilo,guy.
Whatever you do, don't press the red button . That would be bad .

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #10   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:39 PM

glammaman2000
Must...touch...shiny...

...RED...BUTTON!!!!!(original Ren&Stimpy fan)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options