The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to TheMasu's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:03 AM

TheMasu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMasu Send a message via Yahoo to TheMasu Send a message via Skype™ to TheMasu
interesting compliment at the gym

I just joined a new gym in downtown Baltimore. My old gym was attached to the University of MD graduate school so the clientell was usually med, law, nursing, and pharmacy students. This new gym is more centrally located and attracts "grown ups" who live in the city because they want to, not because they're stuck here purusing an education.
Anyway, yesterday at the gym there was a guy, massive guy, who was benching around 290lbs with two 25lb plates stacked on his chest. He was grunting a lot, making a big, loud deal of himself, and then throwing the 25lb plates on the floor when he was done. I hate that. It's very distracting, and potentially dangerous if one were to be startled or surprised by the noise while holding a weight. Anyway, the dude tops off at 290lbs and comes over to me and says "do you mind giving me a spot?" I said sure. After he was done he said "thanks, you get to a point where you realize you're lifting too much for most of the dudes around here. Not many guys here are big like you and me." I'm definitely no where near as big as him, but it was a nice compliment.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Nice compliment....

Being included in the "you and me" group of big guys is a nice compliment! Bet you're still smiling about that one....

Mdlftr

P.S. Why don't 'cha ask him about the 25# plates on his chest? What's all that about----the Salem-Witch-Trials-death-by-pressing-with-stones-Bench-Press?

Mine hisforical fwo cenfes....
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:21 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
P.S. Why don't 'cha ask him about the 25# plates on his chest? What's all that about----the Salem-Witch-Trials-death-by-pressing-with-stones-Bench-Press?
Funny! I'm curious about that too. Maybe you can ask him sometime? This guy could be a good friend if you can get over the noise thing. He obviously knows how to grow, can stay motivated, and might be a good workout partner. Congratulations on being one of the big boys!
  #4   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:13 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Funny! I'm curious about that too. Maybe you can ask him sometime? This guy could be a good friend if you can get over the noise thing. He obviously knows how to grow, can stay motivated, and might be a good workout partner. Congratulations on being one of the big boys!
Yeah!,...what he said!
  #5   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:47 PM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
I'm curious as well.

Is there a chance he used poor form and bounced the bar off his chest? I've seen guys with phone books and towels on their chests to disperse the energy of the bar when it strikes.
  #6   Add to TheMasu's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM

TheMasu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMasu Send a message via Yahoo to TheMasu Send a message via Skype™ to TheMasu
I'll be back there on Friday at the same time, if I see him I'll ask him. Tonight I'm meeting with the personal trainer... you get three free sessions when you sign up... they're overly basic and time consuming, but keeping a positive attitude -- you can always go back to basics.
  #7   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
2 25 lb.plates on his chest?

(accessories make the outfit)it could be an attempt to limit the range of movement;like on a power rack.i knew this huge,Greek,power-lifty dude.he could bench humongous poundages,but his chest was so big,the bar was only moving about 6 inches!then again,your friend could just be nuts(it happens)
  #8   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasu
I...thanks, you get to a point where you realize you're lifting too much for most of the dudes around here. Not many guys here are big like you and me." I'm definitely no where near as big as him, but it was a nice compliment.
That certainly is a good compliment--it's exciting when you start to realize that you are one of the "big boys" after all. I had a similar compliment when once upon a time I was working out with my "on again--off again" lifting partner (gains come easy for him so when I get too big he starts to work out for a few months to catch up then lays off for a while--both exciting to watch and maddening at the same time, but I digress) when another guy asks for a spot from one of us. We end up with a brief conversation and asks how long we've been lifting. I said something to the effect of "not long." And this guy says, "oh come one, you didnt' get this big overnight." I think that it was the first time that a stranger acknowledged my size--kept me in a good mood all week!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options