Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:55 AM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Big Necks!

i guess this is"general".i've got a"thing"for big necks.anybody else?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Ayup.

Traps do it for me, too.

Actually, just about anything does it for me, although what does NOT do it for me is a well-developed upper body and skinny legs. Of course, I imagine there are just as many guys who would look at me and go, "ick, I don't care if he's got 18 inch calves, his arms are too skinny..."

xoxo

richard
  #3   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:32 AM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
When passing a big stranger on the street, I usually look at his neck first. It's a good sign of his overall muscularlity. I love big necks and traps. Speaking of which, the NFL kicks off today, so there will be a lot of beef on TV.
  #4   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I've been getting my beef from the CFL...

Anyway, I was just going to post something about necks, because mine is getting thicker. I added shrugs to my routine a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to see the results. This morning I was putting on a necklace/choker thing I sometimes wear and I realized that it's a lot tighter than it used to be, and if I'm not careful I might be able to flex out of it.

Strong shoulders and a thick neck are definitely big turn ons for me, too, so it's nice to have some of that for myself...
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus
...and I'm starting to see the results. This morning I was putting on a necklace/choker thing I sometimes wear and I realized that it's a lot tighter than it used to be, and if I'm not careful I might be able to flex out of it....
Woof! Please post pics soon. Also, I want to see you flex out of that choker!

Oh, and if you haven't guessed, you can add me to the list of people that love thick necks...
  #6   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Big Necks are usually a good indicator of overall size. I've seen some people where you can't even tell they have a neck from the back...hehe..

I usually look for the shoulders though since their easier to spot further away. Plus a well rounded shoulder gives a nice impression of width, size and strength... good ole Cannonball shoulders..

Scott
  #7   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Quote:
Please post pics soon. Also, I want to see you flex out of that choker!
I did take some "before" pics for the Summer Growth Challenge (I wonder if there should be a Fall Growth Challenge, too? ), and I'll be taking some more at the end of September, but since I don't have a digital camera or easy access to a scanner, it may be a while 'til I post them (plus, *rolls eyes at himself* I want to make sure they're "good enough" before I share them...).
  #8   Add to joel24242's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:36 PM

joel24242
Send a message via MSN to joel24242 Send a message via Yahoo to joel24242
Big necks get a thumbs up from me aswell. And just to add to Magus comments, i think you guys should have a fall growth challenge, cos im on the other side of the world to most of you guys, so im just heading into spring now, plus ive finally gotton of my ass and now have a personal trainer, gym, here i come.
  #9   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus
(I wonder if there should be a Fall Growth Challenge, too? ),
I'm all for the fall growth challenge. Mostly because I've almost completely failed at the summer growth challenge due to multiple weeks off from the gym and then this week actually having to cancel my membership - as I've been forced to take with the random job situation right now (odd jobs wherever and whenever I can get them). No fear! I have purchased a bowflex with some inheritance money - the rest of which I set aside for my son - and I will resume my progress HARD once I get it... I'm incredibly excited about it. I know some of you think that thing is crap - but it's my only real option for sticking to a good workout schedule at home so I'm really hoping to make the best of it... and maybe.... prove you all wrong about bowflex at the same time. :P

ANYway - Fall Growth Challenge!!! Yes!!!

I propose we use the month of September to set ourselves up for it and make the official beginning 10/1 - official ending 12/31? That way we can all have ourselves super-buffed prior to all the new years resolutions weenies. :P

w00t - who's with us?
  #10   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Silly me...

I naturaly figured that since the summer Growth Challenge started on June 21, that it would finnish up Sept. 21. That would lead to a Fall Growth Challenge of Sept. 22 to Dec. 21 (by my figuring.) EJ's idea is fine too (PLEASE prove me wrong about the BowFlex), or for another idea, how about a Fall/Winter Bulk-Up Challenge? See how much weight you can gain from Sept 22, to March 21?
  #11   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
BowFlex

Hey, Guys!

I bought a BowFlex back when I was home-bound caring for someone...it kept me sane (well, as sane as I'll ever be) and I dropped 30 pounds in about 2 1/2 months without changing diet at all. For working out at home when you want to work out, for using relatively decent resistance, and being safer than free weights when you don't have a spotter, I thought it was worth the money. I've never been a long-term lifter (I'm working on that as soon as an injury heals) but the BowFlex did keep me toned and I actually worked it into my program even after joining Golds.

A couple of things to realize:

1-when you do go back to the gym, you're not going to be using the same "poundage" as with the BowFlex...50#'s only equals 50#'s if you've just about got the tension rod doubled; the weight increases as you bend the tension rod (they don't tell you that in the videos). You want to get comfortable with the weights at the gym again before you go too heavy upon returning.

2-things are going to work loose...make sure you tighten everything up every three to five workouts or it will wear more quickly (and maybe squeak like hell), especially the seat if you use the rowing function.

Bottom line, it's not the gym but it'll help keep you toned and help burn off a few extra pounds and tension.

Later!

Luca
  #12   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:52 PM

glammaman2000
back to big necks

(this from a habitual topic-breaker!)favorite BIGNEX!the ever-lovely Jeff King!(YAAAAAAYYY!!!)some football-player kid.very pretty black dude.big deal a yr.-or-so ago.(don't really follow football)short dreds.i swear,the kid had a neck bigger than his HEAD!anybody want to guess the name?PIX?
  #13   Add to wrestlejock646's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM

wrestlejock646 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrestlejock646
Ricky Williams

Glamma,

You're definitely talking about Ricky Williams, who played for the Texas Longhorns in college--he and his dreds first caught my eye there. He played for New Orleans in the NFL for a few years and finally was in Miami playing for the dolphins, until this summer when he stunned everybody by retiring (after only 5 years in the pros) Great talent, even better looks--huge, thick neck and (up til recently, hot dreads). Now, travelling around Australia and S.E. Asia, he's sporting a shaved head and some piercings I believe. Grow back the dreds and play more ball, Ricky! <G>
  #14   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Here's a pic.

He even cleans up nicely!
  #15   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:33 AM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas88
Hey, Guys!

I bought a BowFlex back when I was home-bound caring for someone...it kept me sane (well, as sane as I'll ever be) and I dropped 30 pounds in about 2 1/2 months without changing diet at all. For working out at home when you want to work out, for using relatively decent resistance, and being safer than free weights when you don't have a spotter, I thought it was worth the money. I've never been a long-term lifter (I'm working on that as soon as an injury heals) but the BowFlex did keep me toned and I actually worked it into my program even after joining Golds.

A couple of things to realize:

1-when you do go back to the gym, you're not going to be using the same "poundage" as with the BowFlex...50#'s only equals 50#'s if you've just about got the tension rod doubled; the weight increases as you bend the tension rod (they don't tell you that in the videos). You want to get comfortable with the weights at the gym again before you go too heavy upon returning.

2-things are going to work loose...make sure you tighten everything up every three to five workouts or it will wear more quickly (and maybe squeak like hell), especially the seat if you use the rowing function.

Bottom line, it's not the gym but it'll help keep you toned and help burn off a few extra pounds and tension.

Later!

Luca

Lucas!

Thanks for the advice reg. Bowflex.... I didnt' really have high hopes or expectations about getting HUGE with it but I could definitely stand to loose a little fat and tone up... so I'm looking forward to that. I still have some dumbbells and barbells too leftover from the old pre-Bally's days that I intend to work into the routine to add some different movements too (now that I know how to use them much more correctly).

So - I also didn't expect that 50 lbs = 50 lbs in terms of tension vs. actual weight because I can't see how that would work anyway... but... when you say that... which way do you mean it? Do you mean... a Bowflex 50lbs is worth about 35 of free weights? or vice/versa?

Thank you for the advice on keeping things tight too. I'll definitely make sure that I'm dilligent about it.

If I can use bowflex and end up looking as trim and cut as you... I'll be very happy.
  #16   Add to MuscleAvatar's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:38 AM

MuscleAvatar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
Ayup.

Traps do it for me, too.

Actually, just about anything does it for me, although what does NOT do it for me is a well-developed upper body and skinny legs. Of course, I imagine there are just as many guys who would look at me and go, "ick, I don't care if he's got 18 inch calves, his arms are too skinny..."

xoxo

richard
I have a friend like that - actually its weird. He has a great upper body but chicken legs. I was told by someone that works out that the legs are the hardest muscle group to develop.. and painful.. thats probably why he doesn't develop his legs. Of course I would never call him chicken legs to his face.
  #17   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Cool So many topics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleAvatar
I have a friend like that - actually its weird. He has a great upper body but chicken legs. I was told by someone that works out that the legs are the hardest muscle group to develop.. and painful.. thats probably why he doesn't develop his legs. Of course I would never call him chicken legs to his face.
Go ahead and call him chicken legs...then run!! He will probably loose his balance and fall over with his feet flailing in the air! Actually, If he is having a problem with his legs, I ran into a friend (years ago) that had surprisingly muscular legs that he developed from bicycling. At the time, he said the campus had a lot of hills and he plowed up and down them to get around. Bicycling is something that most everybody can handle and if he packs on some size, maybe he can move into some regular exercises.

As far as the BIG neck thing goes, I used to really love it. But now I have gotten to appreciate the regular sized (but still thicker than normal) neck. To me it gives the illusion that a guy is wider than he really is. Of course, he needs to have a beefy set of shoulders and/or traps to pull it off. Don't get me wrong, I will still love a 20" neck anyway .

EJ, we are rooting for you to get more and more buffed either way-- bowflex, regular gym, lifting furniture, appliances or whatever.

Last edited by ottomun6; September 14th, 2004 at 03:36 PM.
  #18   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock

So - I also didn't expect that 50 lbs = 50 lbs in terms of tension vs. actual weight because I can't see how that would work anyway... but... when you say that... which way do you mean it? Do you mean... a Bowflex 50lbs is worth about 35 of free weights? or vice/versa?

If I can use bowflex and end up looking as trim and cut as you... I'll be very happy.
EJ...The further you bend the rod, the more tension. So, you're probably starting out with about 35+ pounds and hitting about 50 pounds worth of tension when you've got the thing bent double...at least that's what it feels like to me. You do use a lot more of the "stablizer" muscles, though so the BowFlex does help me focus on form.

"...trim and cut...???" yeah right LOL!

As far as necks go...20-inch necks are great until you have to buy dress shirts to fit them...that sux! But, I do love to look at them, especially if they have some meaty traps and shoulders connected.

Later!
  #19   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM

We need to get this thread back on topic, but I want to talk about Bowflex, so I'll start a thread there in the training section.

Now back to big, thick, sexy necks:
  #20   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2004, 07:52 AM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas88

As far as necks go...20-inch necks are great until you have to buy dress shirts to fit them...that sux! But, I do love to look at them, especially if they have some meaty traps and shoulders connected.

Later!
finally... a big guy "problem" that I can actually identify with. I bought my first suit ever just last year for my wife's 10 year high school reunion. I had never in my life before been fitted for a suit or had to go find a dress shirt. I was honestly really surprised to find out that there are NO REGULAR DEPARTMENT STORES that sell dress shirts with neck size over 18.. ... seriously.... at least not for a reasonable price (IE under $60/shirt). That was a little ego boost for me a while ago ... hehe... discovering that 19" is actually larger than normal.

As for thick necks on other guys - ABSOLUTELY!! Yum.
  #21   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:17 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Wait a minute.. who has a 20" neck here?!? Pics please

Anyways, has anyone actually seen in person someone who just appears to have no neck because their traps and neck have merged? I'd love for one day to have to *suffer* that...hehe... I've always had that long skinny neck and it takes me while to have any noticable change in neck or trap size. Though I have noticed that neck and arm size seem to go hand and hand for me.

So here's a great question... who has the biggest neck on this board? hmm...

Scott
  #22   Add to HunkyExec's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Growing buffer every day.

HunkyExec is on a distinguished road
Big Shoulders, Too

Not to disparage big necks, but there's nothing like big shoulders filling out a T shirt or spilling out of a tank top. I've noticed it seems pretty easy for me to put mass on my shoulders without lifting a ton of weight, and it sure feels great to have my shirts get tighter. As far as tight shirts go, it seems like it's the shoulders more than any other body part that makes that happen. Big pecs can be kind of hidden away, depending on the cut of the shirt, but big shoulders definitely make an impression!
  #23   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM

ottomun6
Boulder shoulders

[QUOTE=HunkyExec]Not to disparage big necks, but there's nothing like big shoulders filling out a T shirt or spilling out of a tank top. I've noticed it seems pretty easy for me to put mass on my shoulders without lifting a ton of weight, and it sure feels great to have my shirts get tighter...QUOTE]
You lucky dog you. I wish my shoulders would respond so easily.
Yes, I think shoulders are serious attention getters from the front or the back. They really are the defining feature of the male physique and the overall impression is: "WOW, look at the size of that guy!"
Yes, big shoulders are very hot
  #24   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:20 PM

So how do you specifically work out the neck? I've always been good at getting the traps, but what muscle group is the neck?
  #25   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM

glammaman2000
from what i've seen

your neck is fine,so i wouldn't worry.for some people,collateral stress from shoulder&trap work is enough.wrestlers'bridges&neck raises with a weight can help the rest.(i can explain it in more detail,if neccessary)OF COURSE;there IS another neck exercise that involves moving your head up/down/up/down,over&over.(advanced work)
  #26   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 05:55 AM

ottomun6
Brent, maybe before you go into the world of the thick necked athletes, maybe someone could morph one of your pics a bit to do a preview. But remember, the shoulders look less wide as a result.
  #27   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
... wrestlers'bridges&neck raises with a weight can help the rest.(i can explain it in more detail,if neccessary)
More detail would help. I could call you later if it would be easier to explain that way, just give me a good time tomorrow. As for the advanced work, does it have anthing to do with Subway's new theme song, "I'm going down on Subway!..."?
  #28   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM

glammaman2000
i LIVE in NYC!

we HAVE a subway!"going down on subway"would be very bad form.most of the exercises involve lying on a flat bench with your head hanging over the edge.hold a small DB or plate on your head(feel free to use a pad)these can be done face-up,face-down(with the weight at the back of your head)or on your side to work the neck from all angles.high reps work best.be gentle.(p.s.,it's boring as shit)a very few people with very long noses may be able to stick it through the hole in a 25lb.plate&do the exercise"no hands"!these are the"face-lifts"you've been hearing so much about.
  #29   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
we HAVE a subway!"going down on subway"would be very bad form.
If you listened to the radio more, you would have heard the ad I was referring to. It's "I'm going down to Subway..." so my friend Anthony & I changed the "to" to an "on", and incorporated a head movement, for when we are in public hearing the ad. I'll leave that movement up to your imagination...

Also, since I'm still in Portland, we sort of have a subway... well for one stop anyways, and it's a big one. When they were building light-rail to the west of Portland, there was a mountain in the way, resulting in the deepest subway station in North America. However I don't know if it counts, because it's only for one station, the rest are above ground.

Thank you for the neck exercises. I will try them at the gym in a few minutes. Although a bigger neck makes the shoulders look smaller, I'm working on the shoulders too! So they will keep growing.
  #30   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM

ottomun6
Also there is a head harness gadget you can buy. I can't remember seeing them lately but I think you might be able to find it by asking a football player (preferably a big muscle-bound one ---and be sure to give him my number )
Or maybe ask a local coach and/or trainer. Its basically is just a couple of straps stitched together with a small chain to hang a plate from or hook to a cable machine. The basic movement is a head nod for reps.
  #31   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:18 PM

glammaman2000
those harnesses have been around

for centuries(approx)they just rub your ears off.back when i was managing a gym,my boss came up with a piece of equipment.it was a motorcycle helmet with a pole sticking out of the top.you could put weights on the pole.there is often an element of humiliation when approaching a new exercise;but,...uh....(don't even get me started about the scarlett o'schwarzennegger wonder-skirt!)
  #32   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:45 PM

All this equipment, and I didn't even know the neck was trainable. Now I'm looking all over the place for neck exercising equipment...
  #33   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
How big is a big neck? I noticed that my neck and arms seemed to stay about even with each other all through my working out and bulking up. I started with 15.5" neck and arms and ended with 17.5" neck and arms. Is that about par for you other workout guys?
  #34   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:19 AM

oops

I never really thought to measure.
  #35   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim USA
How big is a big neck? I noticed that my neck and arms seemed to stay about even with each other all through my working out and bulking up. I started with 15.5" neck and arms and ended with 17.5" neck and arms. Is that about par for you other workout guys?
My neck has increased over the years as well, I used to wear a 15" shirt and now wear a 17" without doing much in the way of specific exercises for the neck at all.
  #36   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM

ethernet_jock
16" arms and 19" neck.... nope... doesn't work that way for me.

Of course - a little more arm training and maybe somebody's trying to tell me that my arm potential is 19"?

Damn... that'd be nice.
  #37   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:16 AM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Works for me. 18" arms, 18" neck, and yeah, the two have pretty much tracked each other as I've grown. I read somewhere that equal arms, neck and calves were part of "good proportions."

EJ, I strongly suspect that, yes, your 19" neck is an indicator that you've got at least that much potential in your arms. Just gotta get back to training, once your life settles down a bit. ( Oh, and welcome back. )
  #38   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:25 AM

ethernet_jock
whew.... *imagines himself with 19" biceps*.... *gets hard*

alrighty then. Thank you!!
  #39   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM

All right, now......focus some of that GETTING HARD energy on your arms, EJ!

BigSteve6ft3 is right (along with whoever might have stated it above)...the rule of thumb is that your neck, your upper arms, and your calves should all be within an inch of each other for "ideal" balance.

My neck's at the 20-inch mark relaxed (I actually need a 21-inch neck in a dress shirt if I want to breath or move my head at all) so my arms and calves are within range at about 19 but I'm GREEDY like all the rest of you muscleheads...I want bigger!!!

You've got the potential!

Later!
  #40   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:26 PM

ottomun6
Whoa!! you big guys are sporting 20" necks!?!?
That's pretty huge. But I guess it scales up to your height.
I think my neck was somewhere around 17" back when I was 200 lbs.
But it has dropped down to 15.5 now that I have trimmed down.

Last edited by ottomun6; October 16th, 2004 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options