You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:56 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Rugby!

I just discovered - and joined - a local gay rugby team, and I was wondering if any of the posters on this board have rugger memories they want to share, or advice for a complete newbie to the game.

I've never played before in my life...in fact, last night at practice was the first time I've ever held a rugby ball. The guys on the team are really friendly, though, and are helping me feel right at home. Thursday I learn to tackle people!

It's a really new team (this is their first full season), so the skill levels are all over, and there's all sorts of body types (I'm probably one of the bigger guys there, actually), but one thing I've noticed: every single guy has legs like fucking tree trunks. I'm not much of a "leg guy", but this experience has me thinking I might change that....
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:27 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
When I was going to High School in New Zealand (they call it College there) I was forced to play rugby. PE hell aside, I do have one positive memory. A friend of mine was moving to NYC, and so she was having a going away party. Well she has a few rugby player friends that brought the whole team! These dudes were big, buff, and super hot. They all had great legs too, so looks like squats for you! Enjoy your new sport!
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
rugby,BABY!

i thought i brought this up on another thread,but if you get FoxSportsWorld in your area;RUGBY COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE!now,THAT'S a GAME!WAY more exciting than american football.i'm surprised it's not more popular here.plenty of action&none of that sissy protective equipment.&the MEN!huge traps&thighs.rough,handsome with broken noses...RUGBY RULES!!!
  #4   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Well, I had my first "real" practice last night (but got home in time for "Survivor", whew!), and although I'm still such a newbie that I don't know anything at all...it was really fun. Everybody there keeps talking about how addictive rugby is, and I'm slightly afraid that they might be right. I've never tackled anyone before (My ex, while walking me to the practice, protested "You've tackled me!"), so what a surprise to learn that tackling people smaller than me is FUN! and Easy!

I wasn't tackled, though, so that might be part of why I still have a rosy outlook...

Anyway, after running so much, my legs have been stiff all week, but I'm feeling stronger and better already. Not sure if that's the rugby or just a general sense of well-being, but it's definitely welcome.

edited to add: Brent, I had some pretty nasty PE horror stories from school, too, but I have to say that the group of guys I'm playing with are the complete opposite of the sports-players I knew back then. They're seriously one of the nicest bunch of guys I've ever met. I'm still somewhat in shock that they keep coming up to me and introducing themselves and asking how I'm doing and stuff. The story that a rugby player must be "a barbarian on the pitch and a gentleman off it" is holding up quite well.

Last edited by The Magus; September 17th, 2004 at 07:55 AM.
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:52 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus
... Brent, I had some pretty nasty PE horror stories from school, too, but I have to say that the group of guys I'm playing with are the complete opposite of the sports-players I knew back then. They're seriously one of the nicest bunch of guys I've ever met. ...
Thank God. PE fairly much killed sports for me, but I should rethink that now. I might try rugby after my move to Las Vegas is complete. Right now, in the midst of a move, my husband & I barely find time for the gym...
  #6   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:06 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
You know, at one time I did think about playing Rugby. Unfortuently I was only around 185 or so (Freshman Yr of College). I went out to the practice field for one of their practices and sat on the side to watch. I was *ahem* shocked by the size of some of these guys, especially their legs.

Well I decided since it was my first semester at College that it would not be best to add something so new (never played a sport in my life) so close to starting college. I kinda regret it now since that would have definetly got me into weight earlier.

Of course now that I've graduated from college (wow it's been over a year now), and have moved back to South GA, there isn't a rugby group for miles around. The closest one would probably be in FL or back in Atlanta. I'm still clueless on how the whole sport works, but it's the only sport that has ever really caught my attention.

Scott
  #7   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:58 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
you can always be a groupie!

seriously!get Fox Sports World(it's a digital channel up here)figure out the schedule(heck!figure out the RULES!)have a few gay buddies over.a coupla'six-packs;a coupla'bowls of popcorn...trust me,you'll have the BEST TIME!!!
  #8   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Okay, seriously, rugby is the bestest sport EVER. We just had a practice and even that was more fun than a million other fun things that I'm too tired to even think about.

Just wanted to share.

Also, at the rate I'm going in another couple of weeks, I'm going to have visible abs for the first time in my life. Wee!

Oh, also, optimusx, trhe sport is actually not that hard to learn. Try doing a search on the internet, because there might be a group that you just hadn't heard of. There are quite a few gay rugby teams around (and from what I hear, even straight teams tend to be really friendly and open to new members...rugby players have a reputation for being nice guys when they aren't beating each other to a pulp). There's even going to be an international tournament in New York next month.

Last edited by The Magus; October 12th, 2004 at 06:04 PM.
  #9   Add to joel24242's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:22 PM

joel24242
Send a message via MSN to joel24242 Send a message via Yahoo to joel24242
I have to concure, Rugby is a great sport, never played it myself but i do follow it on tv. Rugby is a reasonably big sport here in oz, im not sure what it is like in the states. The highschool i went to was a very big Footbal school, both Rugby Union and Rugby League. I still remember the bodies of those guys at school. Very nice. Anyway keep up the good work Magus there is nothing better than organisied sport to get out and have fun and get fit.
  #10   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Well in my part of the country the big 3 sports are football (American), Baseball and Soccer. As far as finding a rugby team in the area, there was one that I do remember at the local Marine Base, but that was limited to Marines. Outside of it, the only real "adult" sports in the area are touch football and softball

I guess I could look up the rules, but since there really isn't an opportunity to play here (unless I join the Marines.. but that would be going a tad overboard for a game that I don't know if I'll like) I can't see a reason to look at the rules just yet.

Though, I won't let that stop me from watching it when it comes up on ESPN every now and then

Scott

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options