You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:21 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Just a "What if?" about privacy

The other day a friend told me that now days they even have software packages that can allow the user to track down any person just by using the person's name.
He went on to say that it basically can get into that person's computer world and gather ANY information they wanted: purchases, medical records, internet activity and just about anything on your computer without you knowing they were in it. And to add insult to injury, it can get through firewalls (I'm not really sure about this, I only hope firewalls are effective)

The concept makes me jumpy in two ways:
First,I'd be disturbed by the concept that anyone would create something like this.
But the biggest thing would be if a FRIEND were to consider using this.
If you found out that a friend used it to spy on your computer, would you ever forgive them? Would it destroy your trust in the world?
  #2   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:28 AM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
YES!it's creepy!

the BF of a friend helped set up a computer system for friend.(BF is a whiz)of course;the two computers were linked.turns out,BF can&DOES monitor friend's computer use!he did the same thing with a"gift"cellphone!(they're in the midst of a looong break-up)
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
There is a lot of, "Spy-ware" out there for Windows. First you need to get the program onto their computer, which can be achieved using a script embedded in an email. Once you've opened the email, the script is run (without your knowledge), installs the spyware program (or virus, or whatever), and then it's running on your system. Because the spyware is on your system, it's behind your firewall & able to get anything it wants through the firewall. The only way I know of to avoid this from happening is to use a system like a Mac, where any software has to be installed with an administrative password. Unfortunately, most people use either Windows, or Linux, and they tend to have easy security to get around.
  #4   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 05:56 PM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
My firewall software always asks whether I want to let an application access the internet. After that I can discontinue this permission in the settings area.

As for monitoring PC use, it doesn't sound as if there is much trust in the relationship described anyway.

Medical records are an especially sensitive area; protecting the transmission of this type of information when transmitted electronically was the primary driver behind the HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) legislation. Anyone caught pilfering that type of information could face federal charges.
  #5   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
..."could face federal charges"...

...and yet.it sounds a little like an"order of protection".in NY;that means that after they find the body,they know who to question first.
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRx
My firewall software always asks whether I want to let an application access the internet. After that I can discontinue this permission in the settings area.

As for monitoring PC use, it doesn't sound as if there is much trust in the relationship described anyway.

Medical records are an especially sensitive area; protecting the transmission of this type of information when transmitted electronically was the primary driver behind the HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) legislation. Anyone caught pilfering that type of information could face federal charges.
First, firewalls are easy to get around. Neither the one built into Windows XP, or the one built into my router did any good preventing spyware, or hackers. They were just a pain in the ass. So I got rid of them.

Second, no it doesn't sound like there is any trust at all in this friendship. I think that Otto should re-evaluate this friendship, and change his passwords.

Third, there is NO medical privacy in the US. I had health insurance at one time, then both my doctor & my dentist called my employer about my drug use. I would NEVER share anything you wouldn't want on broadcast TV & the Internet with a doctor. This was 8 years ago, and I haven't had insurance since. It's like using your own money to screw yourself. I've also known a couple of people that were recently fired from the Gap for being HIV+ after their doctors ratted them out. Don't ever tell a doctor anything, EVER!!!
  #7   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:55 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
... I think that Otto should re-evaluate this friendship, and change his passwords...
Well, actually I don't think my friend would do it, but I just wonder about the human nature thing. You know what I mean?, would a person be tempted to buy such stuff and spy on his/her friends just because they could.
I think it would cause a major collapse in the world of trust (or even a collapse in what we take for granted). Personally, I didn't even want to know the name of the the spyware package. It just strikes me as being the most evil thing that a person would consider. Image the level of immorality.

Imagine if you were in the closet at work, and suddenly someone dropped off some of your (home based) internet cruising conversations at the manager's office because they were homophobic?

Again, no this is not something that has happened. It is a "what if" statement.
In the same concept of "would you enter and snoop around a neighbor's house if they left the door ajar?"
I think I would be a basket case if it were to happen to me. I would be horrified if a stranger were to do it, but someone that I thought of as a friend would be ten times worse, because you naturally would tend to trust your friend.

Last edited by ottomun6; October 3rd, 2004 at 04:01 PM.
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM

Be careful of giving access to any digital information in your life. I just read this (the first letter) letter in Savage Love. Makes you think...
  #9   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:52 PM

I'm probably too naive, but I would like to think that HIPAA will actually work.

As it stands, there is already too much talk of storing genetic information for people without proper safeguards as to the potential uses for such information.
  #10   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRx
I'm probably too naive, but I would like to think that HIPAA will actually work.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. You need the courts to do something about it, and as long as the Gaps of the world have all the money, lobbyists & lawyers, laws like HIPAA will be totally ignored.

As for the human genome thing, I only hope Gattaca is as bad as it can get, but I fear the results will be a lot worse. Look at how quickly we rushed to develop genetically modified foods, without knowing any of the long term consequences.
  #11   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM

HIPAA has only been in effect for less than a year. It was a partially a result of several pharmacy chains providing (knowingly or not) outside data vendors confidential patient information who, in turn, sold it to direct marketing groups. The courts did get involved and made decisions to protect this privacy, HIPAA is a legislative attempt to address the issue as well.

I've not seen Gattaca, but I may have to from what I've heard at work.
  #12   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:28 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
The computer security issue as I see it - overall - in terms of PERSONAL security:

Speaking about personal security on personal computers only - businesses are a whole 'nother game..... think about it this way.

Firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware, and conscious logical metholodgy..... it's like the deadbolt on your front door. You know that when you lock your deadbolt, it's only to keep the honest people honest. There's always a way in/around/through. That's the same case for computers. Any "connected" computer - there's going to be a way in for someone who's determined enough to find it.

Now - part b of this is the likelyhood issue. You are FAR more likely to get your house broken into or your trashcan or mailbox ransacked and have your identity and personal information stolen that way then you are via electronic methods as long as you stick to regular methodologies and safe practices. There's no need to get silly here and refuse to use your credit card on the internet at all (like some people I know) or refuse to give out your home address anywhere online.... because it's already there, for the taking, for anyone who wants it bad enough.

Just be smart, be reasonbly safe (don't waste your time with the bars over the windows, it isn't worth the effort or the prisoner status).

THe latest little (big) game in stealing personal information actually is referred to as "phishing". Phishing is a way where someone will attempt to trick you into entering personal information into their web site as if it belonged to a different known enterprise. They achieve this usually by sending you a spoofed email from paypal, citibank, or any local banking or information-trustworthy establishment as if they needed you to log in and "correct" or "update" your information. The email usually has a link in it that you can click and the link - at first - APPEARS to go to that same location. When the site comes up - you see a familiar logo and a famililar log-in screen and think nothing of it other than just typing in your username and password........... but wait...... look up at the address bar. Does it still say paypal.com up there? or does it say 206.145.298.231/paypallogin.htm? or blahblahblah.ru/8789~jio.htm? THe answer to fighting "phishing" of course is just to be smart.... don't ever follow a link from an email that asks you for personal information. If paypal sends you something asking for an update then you can just as easily achieve the same thing by opening your web browser and typing www.paypal.com in the address bar thereby making sure you're going to the right place.

The bottom line is there'll always be a new way to steal your information. Most of them are based on human stupidity/gullability.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options