The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Community > Surveys & Polls
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Surveys & Polls Cast your vote or create your own polls here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:55 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
The Future of Bodybuilding

On a scale from -100% (I would avoid it like the plague) to +100% (Will Horses couldn't stop me), how would you rate the following reforms to bodybuilding competitions with regard to your attendance?

Option 1) Afternoon Shows (as opposed to evening shows)
Option 2) Only Weight Classes (and not age and weight)
Option 3) Competitors wearing thongs as opposed to posing shorts
Option 4) Ice skating style marking (instead of just size)
Option 5) Nude contestants
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to ihbmb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:24 PM

ihbmb
Quote:
Option 3) Competitors wearing thongs as opposed to posing shorts
Option 5) Nude contestants
Oooh... I've never actually attended a competition, but +100% for both of these. Or if I have to choose, +100% for nude and +200% for the thongs
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:19 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
1. +100
2. - 50
3. +100
4. + 25
5. +100

That's just my opinion.
  #4   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:44 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
not exactly the question...

but i do think the posing routine should be more heavily weighted(about 1/3?)it's the only part of the competition that takes place DURING the competition.the rest is judging a side-effect of exercise.also,the older competitions used to give prizes for bodyparts(best chest,legs,abs,etc.)it's a pain for the judges;but very educational for the audience.&for novelty acts,some shows tried a muscular endurance competition(most benches with 315,most curls with 135,etc)once again;it showed the kind of strength associated with bodybuilding,as opposed to weightlifting.
  #5   Add to Radiokida's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Radiokida has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Radiokida
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
but i do think the posing routine should be more heavily weighted(about 1/3?)it's the only part of the competition that takes place DURING the competition.the rest is judging a side-effect of exercise.also,the older competitions used to give prizes for bodyparts(best chest,legs,abs,etc.)it's a pain for the judges;but very educational for the audience.&for novelty acts,some shows tried a muscular endurance competition(most benches with 315,most curls with 135,etc)once again;it showed the kind of strength associated with bodybuilding,as opposed to weightlifting.
Another cool idea similar to this would be a sort-of 'biathlon' sport: First Bodybuilding posing, and then Strength feats. Like biathletes, the competitors would have to balance their strength increase with building an aesthetic physique.
  #6   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:33 PM

glammaman2000
WAAAAYYYY back;

when the AAU sponsored bodybuilding,they used to include totals on the 3 olympic lifts in the physique scores.
  #7   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
There is plenty of scope to make a comp much more fun and interesting. I've been to about 15 contests and some are really like watching paint dry....I find that now I prefer to go the evening show as it has more pace and a feeling of more of an event.

Still there is great potential to increase the audience interest. Eg a more FIBO style "performance" playing to the crowd and dressing up/stripping off. So many shows are really dull with poor presentation and interminable delays and late running.

How are things in North America? Are shows better attended ? Is there an audience that is not either related to or friends of the people on stage? DO they play more to the audience with more of a showman approach?
  #8   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM

glammaman2000
eeuw.

a GOOD bodybuilding contest is a very specific thing.it's not pro wrestling.it's not a male stripper contest.(the olympia is getting close to that)a good stage manager can help avoid technical glitches.a good MC is VERY rare&valuable.organizers have to realise that a tight,fast-paced show is preferable to one with a lot of"filler"(cheerleaders,comedians,anyone singing"i believe i can fly",etc)as part of pre-judging,there should be some preparation for the evening show(entrances,etc)the NY shows attract mostly fans,as opposed to friends&relatives;but there are fewer every year.
  #9   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
I'd rather give comments than try to do numeric scaling...

I'm not sure how much of a break competitors need between prejudging and judging, but it does waste a lot of the day when the morning show ends at 2 and the evening show doesn't pick up again until 8. For me, it would be easier to attend the afternoon show but that might not be realistic to the competitors.

There are too many age classes. We don't need masters, super masters, and ultra masters divisions. Also, I object to the way "collegiate" shows are run. It is not fair to have a 30 year old taking 3 credits and night compete against a 20 year old with 18 credits. Collegiate shows should only be open to full-time students.

I go to shows to see muscularity, not nudity. I don't want thongs or nudity taking away from the sport.

I don't know how skating compares to BB scoring, but I do know contests are not judged simply by size.
  #10   Add to Radiokida's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2005, 01:57 AM

Radiokida has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Radiokida
I'll be frank: why would you want naked competitors? Would seeing the penis of a competitor make him have a better body? I don't really see why you would want naked competitors.

When you go to a bodybuilding contest, why do you go there? Do you go there to ogle the men's physiques? To say "look at him, he's really hot?" Not even the Miss World contest is done for that reason. Of course, I might say "wow, that girl sure is hot" but that's not the scope of the Miss World contest.

Do you really believe that the Olympians buff their bodies to such extremities to please gay persons? I don't really think so.

To be honest, I don't know why bodybuilders do what they do with their bodies... maybe it's just personal satisfaction? The gay ones would do it to please other men, I know... but most bodybuilders are not gay. I've chatted with women in the past, and I've known women who get really turned on at the sight of a muscular man. Others, though, either do not admit it, or else find them 'gross'. I don't think the reason is to compete... the prize money just isn't worth it (compared with other sports). Can anyone shed any light on this problem?
  #11   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2005, 05:31 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
I did not mean that necessarily turn the event into a strippathon or something but the only really good show I have been to recently (the British Grand Prix at Wembley) was really brought alive by the competitors doing alot of posedown type posing out into the audience - made it look spontaneious and the crowd went wild. It was good to see some animation in the audience especially when the pros were around - lots of these big straight boys getting all frantic about taking pics with their favs.
  #12   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:02 AM

glammaman2000
competition

why DO guys do it?clearly,men were competing when there was 0 money in the sport.a surprising number of them were sheet-metal workers,etc.they'd do hard physical labor all day &THEN knock themselves out in the gym for a few hours.of course,there's"chasing the pump"...."i just wanna be as big cold as my pump is,now"of course,by then your pump is bigger,so...sometimes it's just"desperate for attention"I don't workout to compete.i compete because i love to workout.

Last edited by glammaman2000; January 15th, 2005 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options