The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to RapterRuse's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM

RapterRuse is on a distinguished road
Advice and the future

Hi, well i'll start from the begining, & this is actually quite embarrasing.
I'm 22 and at the moment, underweight, i have actual strength, and don't have problems there...But when it comes to mass, and muscle...Let's just say i'm not at the front of the pack, this was always a problem and is now getting more depressing. & i've decided I want to do something about it, and become bigger, Not bodybuilder bigger, just to a happy neutral.
The problem is I don't have confidence because of this, so i refuse to go to gyms, or such like because of embarrasment.

i'm 9stone, Which i think is 153 Pounds? No matter how much I eat (and it's a lot) i can't put on a pound. I brought a pair of single-hand dumb-bells, chin up bar, Hand squeezer things for your wrist. and various other equipment a few years back, but it got me no-where.

What i'm basically here for, is i've read a few posts, and this community seems to be a decent one, and I'm hopeful of not getting flamed or ridiculed for this, unlike I would on other forums of similar aims, i'm looking for advice, how to go forward, i don't want to take steroids, I have a son and don't want to risk my health. But any body building drinks etc look like a con. Are steds the only way?

If anyone can give me some advice I would be grateful, extremely grateful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Welcome

Rapter Ruse,
Welcome!

People here are generally supportive. When it comes to lifting, growth comes from pushing your body to work harder than it is used to doing. Growth comes after the workout, when the body builds itself back up, stronger and (sometimes) bigger to handle the increased demands placed upon it.

The whole "steroids being necessary" question is wildly out of whack. This is first and foremost, a media invention. People have worked out for years to get stronger, bigger and develop better endurance, long before steroids existed. The workouts, sufficient nutrition and rest are key to getting stronger and bigger. Steroids are realistically only a question for professional bodybuilders who have worked out for YEARS, obtained enormously sized muscles, who want to be bigger than everyone else.

That's not you, and that's not most of the people who lift weights.

For programs, starting off, a 3 x week full body routine which hits compound muscle groups (chest and back, abs, legs and butt, is probably best. consistent workouts with progressively heavier weights are key.

Welcome to the forum!

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Great advice. And I would add these two things:

1. For a naturally thin person, diet is really key. You can have the best workout routine on Earth, but if you're not taking in enough calories and protein to overcome your metabolism, you'll never put on mass.

Skip all of the supplements, creatine, etc. Spend your money on a TON of Muscle Milk. It tastes good and has more calories and carbs than the other shakes. Drink at least two of these a day in addition to what you're already eating. Have eggs and chicken every single day. Eventually, you'll put on weight and your hunger/metabolism will adjust.

2. Do leg workouts twice a week. Squats one day, deadlifts the other. Your legs are your largest and most powerful muscle group. Working them hard puts your entire body into an anabolic state, and is the easiest way to put on muscle mass.

Good luck!
  #4   Add to RapterRuse's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM

RapterRuse is on a distinguished road
Thank you both for the advice, i'll have a look out for the muscle milk, is it widely available in supermarkets etc? & will follow the rest as well, it does feel good to know there are ways to go forward after years of just accepting there weren't.

Basically I need to start off slow then? Doing the routines suggested a few times a week, what kind of targets are best? Or is this based largely on what I can do until I drop? Can I ask why it's not best to do this 3 or 4 times a day? Is this too much to start with?

Will Deadweights and wrist press things be enough? Or is there any other equipment i should look at?

Also how long does it normally take to see a difference? Just so I know that iff after a month there isn't one not to get downhearted so to speak.
  #5   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Awesome!

Muscle Milk is generally available in vitamin stores, but cheapest through an online site like bodybuilding.com. It's perfect for a guy who's thin and new to lifting, as it's loaded with extra calories and is easy to drink.

And if you're fighting a fast metabolism, putting on muscle will depend about 80% on your diet and 20% on your routine. It's so important to get enough calories into your system. Drink those shakes, eat that chicken, and eat those eggs.

I would lift 3-4 times a week. Forget the machines and isolation stuff. For a three day routine, try:

Day 1: Chest & Biceps
Day 2: Back & Triceps
Day 3: Legs and Shoulders

For each day, stick with basic compound movements. Bench press, pulldown, squat, deadlift, etc. You might want ton invest in a few personal training sessions to learn how do to these exercises if you don't know.

Working out more than this will probably result in overtraining, and won't bring you any more gains. When you're not working out, think about eating.

I'd say that you can start seeing gains over a few months. Stay away from steroids, creatine, and all that junk. You need it to get really huge, but not to get fairly big. Not to mention, it's expensive. Try the natural route, eat your ass off, and you'll be rewarded!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options