The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Training on the road

I was in Chicago Illinois this week on business. While I was there, I worked out at the David Barton Gym. Their motto is "Look Better Naked"!

The facilities are nice -- lots of free weights, big mirrors and machines. Even though it was crowded (4:30 to 5:30 p.m.) I had plenty of choices and did not have to wait to work a body part.

Afterwards, they have two choices of steam rooms: a regular dry sauna, and a wet eucalyptus steam room. Way cool and trendy! Also, free razors, shaving cream, shampoo, lotion and deodorant. All the free towels you can use.

The desk help was very trendy and built also: first guy "Franco" or ""Marco" - short, looked Italian or Spanish. About 5'6", maybe 170", seriously jacked, short dark hair, big liquid eyes, snug fitting stylish grey short sleeved shirt with the gym logo showing off his pleasingly big and sculpted arms and pecs (with just a hint of nipple). Other counter mate was the complete opposite: Tall, (about 6") lean, cut, long white blonde hair artfully touseled (like the singer Billy Idol - that look and vibe) wearing white cargo pants and baggy shirt.

Lights are track lights on each piece of equipment. Walls are painted black concrete. A few art pieces scatterd about - a picture of a woman's perfectly outlined lips with red lipstick over the water fountain, a chinese bed with red silk hangings in the hall (no clue what that was about) and a picture of a beautiful asian woman on the wall.

Overall vibe -serious or at least dedicated lifters. 80% guys (mostly late 20s to mid - late 30s) with financial industry jobs. Lots of copies of the Wall Street Journal. Most guys in shape; no one really huge, but no real blobs either. People were cordial, very Midwest.

Overall impression: I liked it, and would go again. A bit pricey at $25 for a visit. I guess that's the cost of "hip" and "edgey"

Mdlftr
Who had a GREAT workout!! first in 3 months, post surgery!! I'm BAACKKK!!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
I have been to this gym- a nice place, stylish yes, luxurious yes, a gym for serious lifters--no way. This is a place to show off, and pamper yourself. Serious gyms are about lifting, weights, and thats about it. I could not imagine doing heavy deadlifts or squats in this gym. If you want a serious gym in Chicago--Quads has a northside location and their original location on the far south side serious equipment and its not only pretty people--I think a day pass is $7, but free passes are available for those who ask.
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Sounds like another place where Prada is the de rigeur workout attire! In other words, no place for me but I'd sure like to be a fly on the wall! :-)

xoxo

Richard

who likes MdLiftr's very detailed descriptions of the desk help!
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM

I say "dedicated" as in, they keep their pumps up. Lots of "nicely big to fill out a shirt arms", some pecs and lats. Legs average. One guy I saw was closer to the "serious" side of lifting. He was deeply tanned, and was doing cleans ( I think) He was raising the bar up from the floor then bending his forearms so he ended up holding the bar at shoulder height, palms out.

If he were doing a clean and jerk, he would have then pressed the bar overhead, which he did NOT do. I think he was working on his form and looking to go up in weight. He did have prodigious front delt development, though.

As I say, it was a fun, "trendy" experience! I agree that you're not going to find Branch Warren with truck chains around his neck doing dips in here!

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
<-- will work out wherever MdLftr is!
  #6   Add to Stoneman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Stoneman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneman
This is actually pretty interesting because I am often in Chicago myself for a few weeks at a time and never have known where to work out.

Cheers!
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM

David Barton Gym

Since I seem to be their "free" advertizing agency today:

David Barton Gym
600 W. Chicago
312-836-9127

Intersection of Chicago and Larrabee.

This is about a 20 minute (their words, took me less) walk from Michigan Ave. and Chicago, which is where Water Tower Place is located.

Neighborhood is obviously on the upswing towards "trendiness". Safe to walk around, people are again, very "Midwest". They make eye contact and are cordial.

Mdlftr

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options