The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Site News, Feedback & Suggestions
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Site News, Feedback & Suggestions For discussion related to forum itself, including features, feedback and suggestions.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road

I realize we haven't had avatars in a very very VERY long time, but recently the thought crossed my mind about them, and I was simply wondering about them again.

If we're not going to get avatars again, that's fine. I'm mostly just curious.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hearmenowu2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolution MG Animator

hearmenowu2 is on a distinguished road
I have a feeling that there gone for good now.. but I hope im wrong.

or go to MY PB page HERE to stream my videos and more

or visit MM's yahoo page HERE to see some of the pics that i put there that cant be posted anywhere else for obvious reasons ...

my Imageshack page
  #3   Add to dolphinbad's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
DolphinBAD

dolphinbad is on a distinguished road
I would like to have an avatar. I don't know what the reason for not allowing the use of avatars, but if there is a reason this should perhaps be explained, I believe we all understand.

I take this opportunity to thank the idealizers this great forum and thank all who contribute to its maintenance. This space is unique and very special.
  #4   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
There was a report that there is a fault in way the forum handle changes to user Avatars that crashes the entire forum. So the feature was turned off to prevent outages...

As I recall the system had fairly tight restrictions on the size, resolution, color depth, and encoding that could be used... I can easily believe that the basic system might not validate the submitted image files and if the system tried to manipulate one sort of image using the rules for a different image format it might drive the software into a nervous breakdown.

Ender
  #5   Add to fleXodus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
MuscleGrowth.org

fleXodus is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry guys, but the avatars will probably not be returning. Since the avatar files themselves will be hosted on the server, I don't want do anything incur any additional bandwidth charges from the webhost.
  #6   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Ah, then that's perfectly fine. You do quite a bit for us already, I wouldn't wanna to ask for more of a burden of you in the form of something rather small like an avatar.

Glad to hear at least something from ya FleX.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #7   Add to ljobenza's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Master of the Neko

ljobenza is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ljobenza
Isn't their an option to disable uploading avatars and an option to point to an external website for avatars? I would actually prefer to use my avatars in my photobucket account than uploading them here.
  #8   Add to ARCHEON's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Registered Abs User

ARCHEON
Send a message via AIM to ARCHEON
Hey Flexodus, no biggie. Avatars just add bells and whistles where none are really needed. Personally, I've come to like the cleanness and simplicity of this site. BTW, if you made the minor changes recently (Blue color on the Evolution Forum font and new shield images, etc.) they look great.

Yeah, I notice these things. ;-)
  #9   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:07 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
I thought I might commit a little necromancy here, and revisit this thread in the light of 2010-era web technology.

Seems to me, fleX, that it would now be possible to return avatars to the board -- if people desire them -- without incurring any additional bandwidth demands or hosting space. As I understand it, those were your two major concerns with the on-site avatar system, no?

Well, fortunately it's 2010, and we've learned that local avatars r 4 suckaz!! Meet:
http://www.gravatar.com/
They do for avatars what OpenID does for logins -- a set-up-once, plaster-all over the web central hub for managing your representation in tiny thumbnail form. Create a gravatar account, upload your avatar image, and enjoy pristine laziness as it simply follows you around while you sign up at social media sites and discussion forums to your heart's content. I've had my "respectable" email address signed up for a gravatar for about a year now, and I'm amazed the number of sites where my image just automagically appears.

But, if you don't maintain completely distinct email entities to represent your various different online lives, fear not. They figured that not everyone wants their R-rated "shirtless in a stained jock" cruising avatar to suddenly pop up on Grandma's Facebook page. You can configure multiple gravatars at different "content advisory" rating levels, and it'll use the "tamest" one by default, except when you tell it otherwise.

Naturally, vBulletin is just about the only forum/CMS system they don't provide a plugin for right on their website. (Tho it'll supposedly be a standard feature in vB 4.0.)

Not to worry, a few moments with Google netted me not one, but two plugins for vBulletin 3.8:

FXI Gravatars - Automatically Replace Avatars (all, custom, or empty) with Gravatars! - vBulletin.org Forum
Afzz GrAvatar - vBulletin.org Forum

...Just something I thought I'd bring up, as it seemed a way to solve the no-avatars problem without increasing the burden on the forum servers significantly. Think about it. Certainly it's a far-from-critical issue, but at first glance it seemed like those plugins would make implementation fairly quick and painless. If there's any more legwork you feel needs to be done, let me know what you need and I'll be happy to schlep back over to google and do some digging.
  #10   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
(Don't mind me, I was just venting about the spammers... who seem to be the only ones replying to this thread! *grumble*)

Last edited by nypup2train; January 9th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options