The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
ricphoenix

Raw Food: How much of an animal are you?

Been reading about raw food lately and I saw this naturopath chick that said it be good for me. She said the food is dead after you cook it cause we destroy the good enzymes and other things found in the food.

So she said I should try starting with raw vegetables and of course fruits and raw milk. Her thoughts are that I would grow more and have a better digestive system....ie poor food digestion equals NO growth. She thinks we are more like prehistoric men when we eat raw....you know hunters and all that crap.

Then she look me in the eye told me she only dates bigger guys over 230lbs and her last man was like 300lbs off season bodybuilder and she was in charge of his food. (not sure what that had to do with anything) Hmm maybe I do suffer from "muscle arrogance" LOL

I chatted to a fella on here who uses some raw foods as well and he says he likes it.

Any thoughts on the raw food diet?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
I eat a lot of my foods raw, or undercooked, as far as meats, fruits, and veg goes. (Kinda hard to eat raw sweet potato or brown rice, LOL), and I think I get great results with it. I have grown a lot more than most people would ever expect only training for three years. Got 15 lbs yet to make it to 230, but give me a year two.

Anyway, Most all my fruit and veg I eat raw or at most steamed. Even my meats I eat rare or as undercooked as I can get away with (even chicken breast when I am adventurous.)

That having been said, some foods nutrients can only be released with cooking. Tomatoes, for example ( http://www.news-medical.net/news/2009/04/20/48484.aspx ). And some foods most of us do not have the financial means to body build without, like whey for protein, have to be taken into account, even tho it is processed. So, I would say a bodybuilder should stick to whole, unprocessed, even uncooked foods, as much as reasonable.
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.spencer View Post
I eat a lot of my foods raw, or undercooked, as far as meats, fruits, and veg goes. (Kinda hard to eat raw sweet potato or brown rice, LOL), and I think I get great results with it. I have grown a lot more than most people would ever expect only training for three years. Got 15 lbs yet to make it to 230, but give me a year two.

Anyway, Most all my fruit and veg I eat raw or at most steamed. Even my meats I eat rare or as undercooked as I can get away with (even chicken breast when I am adventurous.)

That having been said, some foods nutrients can only be released with cooking. Tomatoes, for example ( http://www.news-medical.net/news/2009/04/20/48484.aspx ). And some foods most of us do not have the financial means to body build without, like whey for protein, have to be taken into account, even tho it is processed. So, I would say a bodybuilder should stick to whole, unprocessed, even uncooked foods, as much as reasonable.
Thanks spencer--most foods are best with the least amount of processing, but yes certain items are best cooked carrots for example offer more nutrition if they have been cooked---I would never consider chicken tartar as a viable choice but I like beef and lamb very rare and I try to stay away from the middle aisles of the grocery store--processed junk mostly. The real food is at the farmers market or on the perimeter of the store.
  #4   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Raw Foods / Raw Meats

I'm definitely into raw foods, but agree with Drew about the raw meats thing. That said, I do know that my body loves rare meat. HOWEVER, I am careful to get grass-fed beef from a farm/source I trust when doing so. And I always cook chicken fully, even when it was raised grass-fed.

One thing about our meats in today's world. Nearly all of it is raised with grains and other products which are either GMO or non-organic. Not only is the GMO and non-organic thing likely problematic, the even bigger problem is that cows and chickens were not originally animals that ate such grains as a majority of their diet.

Eat some grass-fed beef, and you will KNOW the difference between what meat once tasted like (about 50-100 years ago) and today's meat. The difference is enormous. If you really want to freak yourself out, go watch Food, Inc. If you care about your nutrition, this is a must see.

AND... beyond the meat thing, I have found from my own personal experiences that raw milk is a HUGE boon to my bodybuilding, as well as to maintaining the muscle I've put on. Eating organic veggies (and fresh juices) is really helpful too. I've done a test where I did not workout for a month, then began drinking a lot of raw milk and vegetable juices... and within two days, I had a pump! With no workout. Then I added the weights, and wow, didn't my body return to its state ~ when I had been working out consistently ~ very quickly, far more quickly than it had ever before. Another great raw food, when you're looking to add carbs (such as before or after a workout) is raw honey.

So, yes, cook your meats, ESPECIALLY if you get your meats from ordinary supermarkets or Costco. But there is much to be said for eating more raw foods. Instead of spending money on artificial supplements, consider eating fresher, more organic foods. Raw milk is especially great. Whole is generally better, unless you are drinking a ton of it, because the nutrition is in the fat.

"Doesn't whole milk make you fat?" Yes, when you are drinking dead i.e. pasteurized milk. I have actually seen myself lose weight while drinking quite a bit of whole milk, especially when I kept my diet nearly 90%+ raw, and when I avoided wheat gluten (i.e. breads, pastas, etc.), refined sugars, and other processed foods. This works well when bulking up, too.
  #5   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:54 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
first thing interesting thread. now here is something to think on. As stated over the past 10,000-8,000 years we have been cooking our sources of protein and that has changed certain functions in our bodies. while you still can eat some meats raw due to the way things are processed today it wouldnt be feaseable. If you had your own beef, didn't use drugs, on the ground or in the cattle then you would have a chance. veggies are a different story while some do release certain antioxidents after being cooked they still do have them in the raw. again we come back to the pestacides etc used in todays production. As for ads that we all see about burning 40lbs of fat etc. they are bogus.by the time your 20 you have a certain number of cells in your body. that doesnt changet until you get very old. when you burn fat your dehydrating the cell ( decreasing its volume ) nothing more, nothing less. You can't make the cell disappear. If your looking to gain serious size then figure your protein to be 1.5-2g per 1 lb of body weight. keep your carbs sources from oat meal, sweet potstos, veggies. make sure you have good fats (eg flax oil) eat a lot and often and lift your a$$ off . heavyweight usually 6-8 reps , fair amount of sets, get your rest and see what happens.

any questions hollar at me
  #6   Add to sabretooth's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM

sabretooth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sabretooth Send a message via Yahoo to sabretooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermusclebe View Post
Raw milk is especially great. Whole is generally better, unless you are drinking a ton of it, because the nutrition is in the fat.

"Doesn't whole milk make you fat?" Yes, when you are drinking dead i.e. pasteurized milk. I have actually seen myself lose weight while drinking quite a bit of whole milk, especially when I kept my diet nearly 90%+ raw, and when I avoided wheat gluten (i.e. breads, pastas, etc.), refined sugars, and other processed foods. This works well when bulking up, too.
just wondering what exactly raw milk is, i do drink whole milk but its harmonized and pasteurized. im poor and i live in the city so ive no idea where to get anything that's even close to organic without spending about 200$ in one trip
  #7   Add to n4mscl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

n4mscl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
what exactly raw milk is, i do drink whole milk but its harmonized and pasteurized.
Unpasteurized milk is considered to be raw milk. It's difficult to find because under the laws up here it's illegal to sell, deliver or distribute it.
  #8   Add to sabretooth's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM

sabretooth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sabretooth Send a message via Yahoo to sabretooth
god bless america
  #9   Add to JoshuaGaler's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:50 AM

JoshuaGaler is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with vega. There is no need that you should look like giant. Then there you doesn't look like man. But seem like animal, instead I prefer to eat which are good for health and not just eat raw. Now a days the raw food can not be eaten because of organic food and the pesticides they use on it.
  #10   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Markus

Raw Milk Availability and Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
just wondering what exactly raw milk is, i do drink whole milk but its harmonized and pasteurized. im poor and i live in the city so ive no idea where to get anything that's even close to organic without spending about 200$ in one trip
Raw milk is typically twice as expensive as regular milk, at least here in California. It is only available commercially (i.e. in health or natural food stores) in 17 states. It's illegal to sell (except directly by the farmer, on site) in the other states.

Info about raw milk: http://www.rawmilk.org
Where to Get It: http://www.realmilk.com/where2.htm

Personal anecdote: I've been drinking it for over eight years... and haven't been sick a single day since. I used to get sick at least twice a year.
  #11   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Markus

Organic with pesticides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaGaler View Post
I totally agree with vega. There is no need that you should look like giant. Then there you doesn't look like man. But seem like animal, instead I prefer to eat which are good for health and not just eat raw. Now a days the raw food can not be eaten because of organic food and the pesticides they use on it.
Um, NO. Organic = NO PESTICIDES. You should wash your vegetables before eating them, regardless. And cooking your vegetables will NOT protect you from the pesticides.

There is a considerable body of evidence that raw foods contain much higher contents of enzymes ~ living elements of the food ~ which help digestion and support the intake of the food into the body. They also have higher amounts of vitamins and antioxidants.

I'm not saying just eat raw. But if you cook all of your food, you are missing out on most of their health benefits.
  #12   Add to Mastermind's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:11 AM

Mastermind is on a distinguished road
Organic food may or may not have pesticides - they just have to be organic pesticides. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Foods claiming to be organic must be free of artificial food additives, and are often processed with fewer artificial methods, materials and conditions, such as chemical ripening, food irradiation, and genetically modified ingredients. Pesticides are allowed so long as they are not synthetic.
(The same applies to fertiliser. The most common organic fertiliser is manure)

As for raw milk, the main reason it's illegal to sell is because it might pose a threat to people with a weak immune system, such as children, the elderly, or anyone with an autoimmune disease. (This is the same reason, in principle, why we don't recommend feeding children raw eggs, but bodybuilders do it regularly.) It should be fine to drink as long as you have a healthy immune system, although nutritionally it's indistinguishable from pasteurised milk. Also note that raw milk has a shorter shelf life.
  #13   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:06 PM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricphoenix View Post
Been reading about raw food lately and I saw this naturopath chick that said it be good for me. She said the food is dead after you cook it cause we destroy the good enzymes and other things found in the food.

So she said I should try starting with raw vegetables and of course fruits and raw milk. Her thoughts are that I would grow more and have a better digestive system....ie poor food digestion equals NO growth. She thinks we are more like prehistoric men when we eat raw....you know hunters and all that crap.

Then she look me in the eye told me she only dates bigger guys over 230lbs and her last man was like 300lbs off season bodybuilder and she was in charge of his food. (not sure what that had to do with anything) Hmm maybe I do suffer from "muscle arrogance" LOL

I chatted to a fella on here who uses some raw foods as well and he says he likes it.

Any thoughts on the raw food diet?

Veggies with little doubt Raw is absolutely best and to me raw is defined as warmed, but not cooked any more than necessary to warm the food. Fruit raw is also excellent and no debate there. I would agree with a few other points. Carrots are not as easily digested and if eaten raw they are good, but one gets more sugar and less of the nutritional value in that form.

Meat:

Forty years ago most meat was range fed. When I was in HS (remember that this was in the late 1960's) in sports I would commonly eat what were called "Cannibal Sandwiches" which was raw ground sirloin with onions, pepper and some spices folded in. This was shoved between a toasted hamburger bun and consumed raw. At that time we did not have cattle being forced to ingest things that they would not eat in nature.

The only meat I would consider eating in this manner today is Bison. Bison is sometimes referred to as Buffalo. This is a misnomer because it is in fact genetically different, and actual buffalo is native to Africa. Bison as an animal will not and cannot be trained to eat processed food. They will starve before they will consume it. As a result they do not have the problems found in standard beef. The problem with Bison is that it is very expensive. However guys if you're into bodybuilding go to the American Bison Association Website and look at the nutritional superiority of Bison to other meats. I live in a State that has quite a bit of it so if I shop it I can on occasion find good deals. If you're in a big city you are going to get the elevator shaft and all. I have seen Bison in the big cities at over $20 per pound.

I will not eat fish uncooked including Sushi. In spite of screenings it can contain parasites that are killed by cooking.

The same applies to lamb and pork. I live in New Mexico and like Texas we are a meat producer. I walk outside the front door of my ranch and turn my head to the left and about six hundred feet away is a huge pasture with various meat producing creatures grazing at different times.

The processing and additives are the reasons you will never see me eat in certain Fast Food restaurants and I am very limited in others.

It is true the less processing we can do to food the better off we are.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options