You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM

hulkoutlvr is on a distinguished road
Biting the Bullet and joining the Big Boys

Well guys, after months and years of ho'ing and humming, I finally decided, after losing 43 pounds, to add a little something for myself to my regular routine.

I purchased a gym membership and got 4 free sessions with a personal trainer.

I haven't done the gym thing in years, so I have no idea what kind of results I'll get. I'm supposed to meet with the trainer tonight to discuss my personal fitness needs and goals. I know he's probably going to tell me I need to eat more, which, to a person on a weight reduction plan and permanent diet, is not what I need to hear. But I'm hoping to start with some resistence training, perhaps a Bodyjam or Bodypump class, and, of course, some cardio.

I'm not planning to become Mr. America. At my age, height, and bone structure, I'm sure that is not possible. But I'm hoping to look better in my clothes (and out of them, should the right guy ever ask or the need ever arise, lol) and tone up the stuff that's saggin, baggin, and draggin.

I'm a bit intimidated, as the only gym in my town is a nationally known chain, and it's known for being a hotbed of huge muscleguys, and while they're abosolutely five kinds of heavenly delicious to look at, for someone like me, training next to someone like that is more than a bit intimidating. What can I do to help alleviate that feeling?
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
The things to remember:

(1) Everyone had to start somewhere. Those intimidating guys used to be skinny little things or insecure fat kids -- and, more than likely, they still are on the inside!

(2) Everyone benefits from weight training. Even if you don't add size, you'll add strength and bone density. You'll appreciate it when you're chasing after the cute young things when you're 80!

(3) It's not how much you weigh, it's the quality and composition of your body, and that's directly related to the quality and composition of the food you eat. Gaining 10 lbs. of muscle is a good thing!

So tell the trainer what you want, no matter how unattainable that might seem, and go from there, OK? Live the dream!

xoxo

Richard
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkoutlvr View Post
Well guys, after months and years of ho'ing and humming, I finally decided, after losing 43 pounds, to add a little something for myself to my regular routine.

I purchased a gym membership and got 4 free sessions with a personal trainer.

I haven't done the gym thing in years, so I have no idea what kind of results I'll get. I'm supposed to meet with the trainer tonight to discuss my personal fitness needs and goals. I know he's probably going to tell me I need to eat more, which, to a person on a weight reduction plan and permanent diet, is not what I need to hear. But I'm hoping to start with some resistence training, perhaps a Bodyjam or Bodypump class, and, of course, some cardio.

I'm not planning to become Mr. America. At my age, height, and bone structure, I'm sure that is not possible. But I'm hoping to look better in my clothes (and out of them, should the right guy ever ask or the need ever arise, lol) and tone up the stuff that's saggin, baggin, and draggin.

I'm a bit intimidated, as the only gym in my town is a nationally known chain, and it's known for being a hotbed of huge muscleguys, and while they're abosolutely five kinds of heavenly delicious to look at, for someone like me, training next to someone like that is more than a bit intimidating. What can I do to help alleviate that feeling?
Congrats to you! I think, no, I KNOW you will do just fine! Think of it as an investment in your health for not just looking good, but for in the long run as well!

When you mention about being intimidated working out alongside some of the bigger guys, muscleguys, etc, it can be intimidating and it is a valid feeling, although I can tell you that they are more into their workouts then judging you or anyone else in the gym. That feeling of intimidation will subside as you know that you are going to the gym for you and only you..to accomplish what you want to accomplish for YOU!

You made me think about when I joined my first gym..... I was intimidated as hell! LOL!! I was so intimidated that I can remember signing up for the gym, and driving to the gym and pulling up in the parking lot and being afraid to go in, and then leaving...and this went on for a week! I finally got the courage up, went into the gym, picked up a 20 pound curling bar and went to the back of the gym and just started curling. Every trip got a little easier and then one day it dawned on me: Nobody was paying even the slightest bit of attention to my skinny runty self! And then one day I also met my mentor..huge kind musclehead that I give thanks to to this day.

So, here it is many many years later and I have been called a musclehead, but deep down I still remember the skinny guy and I don't take anything for granted and I don't have the "tude". I'm always ready to help.

And with that, go and enjoy, and remember this important thing: the ONLY person that you are competing with in the gym is yourself! No matter who you are training next to, you are there for you and you alone! You are making the first and best step into becoming an even better you, so go for it with zest and zeal, you'll be surprised and you certainly will not regret it!

Keep us posted!

Ron III---III
  #4   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM

thanks so much Ron-- getting encouragement from you is kind of like having George Clooney pat you on the back and say, "hey kid, go for an acting career-- you can do it."

Without a doubt I have several issues that I am taking with me. I hate looking in mirrors. I have a bit of a tendency to have a twisted image of what my body looks like because of multiple scars from surgeries. And I'm afraid of putting on weight, even if it is muscle, because I tend to let the numbers on the scale determine my success. But I have more reasons to succeed than I have excuses to fail. My main reasons to succeed are:

1. I think it would help my self image to be in better shape. While being a big and/or tall guy is not possible for me, being in the best shape I can be in should be doable.

2. In order to keep off the weight I've lost, I'm going to have to get more exercise. Plus I think the gym might be a good stress reliever.

I can't imagine anything intimidating you, Ron, but it's nice to know some things did
  #5   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:32 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
thanks so much Ron-- getting encouragement from you is kind of like having George Clooney pat you on the back and say, "hey kid, go for an acting career-- you can do it."

Without a doubt I have several issues that I am taking with me. I hate looking in mirrors. I have a bit of a tendency to have a twisted image of what my body looks like because of multiple scars from surgeries. And I'm afraid of putting on weight, even if it is muscle, because I tend to let the numbers on the scale determine my success. But I have more reasons to succeed than I have excuses to fail. My main reasons to succeed are:

1. I think it would help my self image to be in better shape. While being a big and/or tall guy is not possible for me, being in the best shape I can be in should be doable.

2. In order to keep off the weight I've lost, I'm going to have to get more exercise. Plus I think the gym might be a good stress reliever.

I can't imagine anything intimidating you, Ron, but it's nice to know some things did

You're welcome, Hulk, and thank you for the comment. I just hope it is helpful as I do know the feeling...trust me, I do!

And again, I see so many parallels here. For instance, when I workout I wear a baggy t-shirt or sweatshirt and sweatpants. To this day I have yet to wear anything "showy" to the gym. Before, I would dress that way because I was insecure. Today, it is a TINY bit of insecurity, but it is mostly that I don't want the distraction of me looking in the mirror and constantly assessing myself when I should be focusing on what the muscle is doing. Some people like to "see" the muscles working, and if that is what does it for them, that is fine. To each his own. But for me, I focus better not worrying about the "appearance".

And as far as the fear of gaining weight, I have the reverse fear of LOSING weight. Pretty damn ironic, isn't it? My curse for that is to weigh myself on OCCASION, and go by what the mirror tells me. Take pictures of yourself and store them away so as to have a visual record of your body changes.

And maybe we will not be the next Mr. Olympia or the biggest stud out there, or may not want to be either, but we can be the best "ME" that we can be, and there's nothing wrong with that!

And yes, training is the best stress reliever.....beats the hell out of $150 an hour on a psychiatrist couch! LOL!

And most of all...patience. It takes time.....but that is all we have, now isn't it?

So, my friend, stick with it. There are days when you may feel like things aren't progressing, or that it is better just staying in that comfy chair or, dare I say, some delicious chocolate (my weakness), but remember that goal, and the feeling of achievement when in the future you walk past a window or mirror and go "damn, that's ME!"

And please do keep us posted!

Ron III---III
  #6   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1 View Post
And yes, training is the best stress reliever.....beats the hell out of $150 an hour on a psychiatrist couch! LOL!
Now hold on a sec here! While I agree about the training bit, it won't always beat paying me an obscene amount of money to let out your problems!

(First I need to get a doctorate though...so I can actually call myself a psychiatrist, not just a psychologist.)

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #7   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM

First Night At The Gym

First Night At the Gym

Well, tonight I took a big gulp, gathered my courage, and walked into the land of the gorgeous for the first time tonight (Gold's Gym in my hometown).

I have four sessions with a personal trainer to get me started. Tonight we began with an assessment of my fitness level and a statement of my goals. In my assessment, he found that:

I am 5'4 (I usually prefer to say 5'5, but why lie? I'm short)

I weigh 137.5 pounds

I currently have a BMI of 21

I am 11.5 percent bodyfat

He asked what my goals are. I told him I want to take off five more pounds (I feel best about myself around 132). I also want to thicken my chest and arms, and broaden my back, lats, and shoulders. I want to look better in my clothes, not have to be ashamed to take my shirt off on a sunny day, and be able to actually look into a mirror with trying to cover myself up. He appreciated the fact that I was brutally honest about my insecurities, that he had the exact same things starting out. I told him I don't look mirrors, and there's a reason for that. He understood. He went over what he'll have me doing, and we're going through an actual workout on Friday. In the mean time, I'm going to use my lunch hour (I don't eat much anyway) to do cardio, and save my workout for him, so he can coach me in what I'm doing.

I'll give regular updates as hopefully I progress. Most of you have probably seen my picture in another thread. Understand, I'm not prepared to take my shirt off for the camera, as I have yet to take it off in front of a mirror. But hopefully as my body changes, my image of it will change as well.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'll be looking forward to sharing any good results I see with you.

Quote:
You're welcome, Hulk, and thank you for the comment. I just hope it is helpful as I do know the feeling...trust me, I do!

And again, I see so many parallels here. For instance, when I workout I wear a baggy t-shirt or sweatshirt and sweatpants. To this day I have yet to wear anything "showy" to the gym. Before, I would dress that way because I was insecure. Today, it is a TINY bit of insecurity, but it is mostly that I don't want the distraction of me looking in the mirror and constantly assessing myself when I should be focusing on what the muscle is doing. Some people like to "see" the muscles working, and if that is what does it for them, that is fine. To each his own. But for me, I focus better not worrying about the "appearance".

And as far as the fear of gaining weight, I have the reverse fear of LOSING weight. Pretty damn ironic, isn't it? My curse for that is to weigh myself on OCCASION, and go by what the mirror tells me. Take pictures of yourself and store them away so as to have a visual record of your body changes.

And maybe we will not be the next Mr. Olympia or the biggest stud out there, or may not want to be either, but we can be the best "ME" that we can be, and there's nothing wrong with that!

And most of all...patience. It takes time.....but that is all we have, now isn't it?

So, my friend, stick with it. There are days when you may feel like things aren't progressing, or that it is better just staying in that comfy chair or, dare I say, some delicious chocolate (my weakness), but remember that goal, and the feeling of achievement when in the future you walk past a window or mirror and go "damn, that's ME!"

And please do keep us posted!

Ron III---III
  #8   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMM View Post
Now hold on a sec here! While I agree about the training bit, it won't always beat paying me an obscene amount of money to let out your problems!

(First I need to get a doctorate though...so I can actually call myself a psychiatrist, not just a psychologist.)
LOL!!

Been there, done that.

Sorry, but I'll put my money into my gym memberships and keep the rest with me

Ron III---III
  #9   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
First Night At the Gym

Well, tonight I took a big gulp, gathered my courage, and walked into the land of the gorgeous for the first time tonight (Gold's Gym in my hometown).

I have four sessions with a personal trainer to get me started. Tonight we began with an assessment of my fitness level and a statement of my goals. In my assessment, he found that:

I weigh 137.5 pounds

I currently have a BMI of 21

I am 11.5 percent bodyfat

He asked what my goals are. I told him I want to take off five more pounds (I feel best about myself around 132). I also want to thicken my chest and arms, and broaden my back, lats, and shoulders. I want to look better in my clothes, not have to be ashamed to take my shirt off on a sunny day, and be able to actually look into a mirror with trying to cover myself up. He appreciated the fact that I was brutally honest about my insecurities, that he had the exact same things starting out. I told him I don't look mirrors, and there's a reason for that. He understood. He went over what he'll have me doing, and we're going through an actual workout on Friday. In the mean time, I'm going to use my lunch hour (I don't eat much anyway) to do cardio, and save my workout for him, so he can coach me in what I'm doing.

I'll give regular updates as hopefully I progress. Most of you have probably seen my picture in another thread. Understand, I'm not prepared to take my shirt off for the camera, as I have yet to take it off in front of a mirror. But hopefully as my body changes, my image of it will change as well.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'll be looking forward to sharing any good results I see with you.
Congrats on making that first step! That is the first of many steps that you will overcome.

And that is a good idea to make the best use of your trainer so he can set you on the right path.

If I can also share just one thing.....do your own research. As far as weight training and bodybuilding, it is to some degree a solitary sport as you are constantly competing against yourself and your body in making it recover, adapt and improve, i.e. grow. Research some weight training and bodybuilding books...good ones, not just the magazines...magazines have the pretty pictures and all, but you really want to get down to the basics and mechanics of how it all works.

After a while, you will probably end up switching gears after you have been hitting the weights for a while and you will outgrow a trainer and then you will be into needing a "spotter" or if you are very lucky, find a great training partner ( I myself, other than my partner, have yet to find a good training partner, but fortunately I have laser-beam like focus in the gym so I am a good self-motivator.. you have to be! )

Again, congrats and look forward to hearing of your progress and your workouts!

Regards,

Ron III---III
  #10   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
If I can also share just one thing.....do your own research. As far as weight training and bodybuilding, it is to some degree a solitary sport as you are constantly competing against yourself and your body in making it recover, adapt and improve, i.e. grow. Research some weight training and bodybuilding books...good ones, not just the magazines...magazines have the pretty pictures and all, but you really want to get down to the basics and mechanics of how it all works.
What he said...people's bodies react differently with regard to response, recovery time, when/if you hit plateaus, etc. Take advantage of the trainer's experience to understand what muscles move what bodyparts. It sounds simple but it's not something everybody takes the time to think about...it's about awareness of your body...you're not just bending your arm when you do a biceps curl...the biceps are contracting...shortening...thickening...pulling the forearm from a straight to a bent position. When the trainer is showing you a movement, don't just concentrate on the arm bending...concentrate on how the arm FEELS when it's bending...concentrate on the muscle you're working AND the opposing muscle...biceps contract while triceps stretch...triceps contract while biceps stretch. And don't take the negative movement for granted...don't just let gravity pull the weight down...release the contraction SLOWLY...make the muscle work going in both directions and you'll push it to it's limits more quickly and see results in strength and size sooner.

THEN...once you get the movements down in your mind about what muscles pull what bodyparts, experiment with the exercises to find what works for you...LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

Quote:
He asked what my goals are. I told him I want to take off five more pounds (I feel best about myself around 132). I also want to thicken my chest and arms, and broaden my back, lats, and shoulders. I want to look better in my clothes, not have to be ashamed to take my shirt off on a sunny day, and be able to actually look into a mirror with trying to cover myself up.
Here's one thing to think about...don't get hung up on your weight and set yourself up for disappointment when you really shouldn't be disappointed. By working out, the goal is really to shift your weight from fat to muscle and reshape your body...

Quote:
"I also want to thicken my chest and arms, and broaden my back, lats, and shoulders."
The problem with setting the goal of "...I want to take off five more pounds..." is that you're basing that on feeling "...best about [yourself] around 132..." WITHOUT working out and it ignores the fact that muscle weighs MORE than fat; you don't really know how you're going to feel at 137 if you're carrying more muscle than fat...you might be surprised at just how good you feel.

A suggestion...take measurements, pictures, or both of your body right now; weigh yourself right now. Then, work out and eat right for 1 month WITHOUT getting on the scales. If you're consistent with your workouts and diet, you might surprise yourself at how GOOD you feel at 137 or even 140...because you've started reshaping your body instead of just dropping pounds.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Last edited by Lucas88; October 14th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
  #11   Add to welshmusclefan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM

welshmusclefan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to welshmusclefan Send a message via Skype™ to welshmusclefan
[quote=hulkoutlvr;112055]First Night At the Gym

quote]

LOL - don't I know it!

But there is nothing wrong with being that height. I mean look at the majority of the guys in the 202 Class at the Mr O the other weekend! Flex Lewis is 5'5 "and a half" and I believe David Henry is 5'4.

Good luck with your training and get in there and show those big guys that us shorter guys can do it too!
  #12   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
[quote=welshmusclefan;112083]
Quote:
First Night At the Gym

quote]

LOL - don't I know it!

But there is nothing wrong with being that height. I mean look at the majority of the guys in the 202 Class at the Mr O the other weekend! Flex Lewis is 5'5 "and a half" and I believe David Henry is 5'4.

Good luck with your training and get in there and show those big guys that us shorter guys can do it too!

Now that you mention it, Lee Priest is 5'4" and he looks HUGE! You actually have the advantage, if you put your mind to it, of giving the impression of looking bigger than you really are!
  #13   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM

I told my trainer when speaking of my goals that I wanted those things which should be bigger to be a little bigger, and that which should be smaller to be smaller. I wouldn't mind weighing 137 pounds if every ounce of it was quality weight and counted for something. If I could lose 5, get down to 132, and then put back on 5 pounds of muscle I'd be happy. I'd like to thicken my arms and chest, and broaden my back a bit. Fill out my clothes a little better. I don't want to have to buy a whole new wardrobe, just yet, lol. But if things hugged me a little better I wouldn't get upset
  #14   Add to welshmusclefan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM

welshmusclefan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to welshmusclefan Send a message via Skype™ to welshmusclefan
I hear what you say! Same kinda goals here. Im 5'5 and just over 150lbs (70kg at last weigh) and want to shift the bulges from where they shouldn't be to where they should be while adding a few more lbs of muscle to really fill a t-shirt next summer.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options