The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to average_joe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:46 AM

average_joe is on a distinguished road
Not OT: Gay-tolerant Church can't run its TV ads

From CNN/Money website

I'm posting in the forum because it mentions the TV ad has muscle-bound bouncers. Link in article to Church's site - you can supposedly view the add there, but the site might be overwhelmed right now.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/01/news..._ban/index.htm

CBS, NBC ban gay acceptance ad?

Two networks reject church spot welcoming gays as too controversial, United Church of Christ says.
December 1, 2004: 2:35 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A liberal church claims CBS and NBC have refused to run its ad promoting the acceptance of people regardless of sexual orientation, because the networks believe the ad is too controversial.

According to a United Church of Christ statement, the ad says that the church seeks to welcome all people, regardless of ability, age, race, economic circumstance or sexual orientation.

"Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples...and the fact that the executive branch has recently proposed a Constitutional amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast," the church quoted CBS as saying.

CBS and NBC did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

"It's ironic that after a political season awash in commercials based on fear and deception by both parties seen on all major networks, an ad with a message of welcome and inclusion would be deemed too controversial," said Rev. John Thomas in the statement.

"We find it disturbing that the networks in question seem to have no problem exploiting gay persons through mindless comedies or titillating dramas, but when it comes to a church's loving welcome of committed gay couples, that's where they draw the line."

The 30-second spot, as shown on the church's Web site, features two muscle-bound bouncers standing outside a church, selecting people who could attend service and those who could not. Written text then appears saying, in part, "Jesus didn't turn people away, neither do we."

The commercial can be viewed at www.stillspeaking.com.

The church says the ad has been accepted on a number of other networks, including ABC Family, BET Discovery, Fox, Hallmark, TBS and TNT.

TBS and TNT are owned by [color=#0000ff]Time Warner[/color] ([color=#0000ff]Research[/color]), which also owns CNN/Money.

CBS is part of [color=#0000ff]Viacom[/color] ([color=#0000ff]Research[/color]) while NBC belongs to [color=#0000ff]General Electric[/color] ([color=#0000ff]Research[/color]).

The Cleveland-based United Church of Christ claims 6,000 congregations with 1.3 million members.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:21 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
the ad can be seen here . While there are bouncers, I'd hardly call them muscle-bound, especially by this website's definition.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #3   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:53 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
LOL - I agree. I think I could even take them. I'll show you to say "no way" to me and MY family, biatch! Nobody gets between me and Jesus, he's my home boy!

LOL

On a more serious note - what exactly are they afraid of? it's just a commercial! Considering some of the risque "straight" commercials I've seen lately on the same networks, I don't get it. Hell, I've even seen some commercials with VERY homosexual implications on those same networks... I still don't get it. It doesn't even really say "gay marriage" to me... it really doesn't even whisper it.

Hrm....
  #4   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Muscle Czar

What is particularly upsetting is both CBS and NBC (and NBC's affiliated network Bravo) are quite willing to use gay people as commodities (e.g. Will and Grace, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #5   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:06 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Commercial

Agree with EJ on this on...

Message is so amorphous that you'd have to REALLLLYY stretch to get any "controversial-subject--promoting-agenda" out of this!

If anything, I was left wondering who, exactly, is being kept out? The "refuseniks" did not seem to fit any particular stereotype.

Reminds me of the old joke: Man walks down the street whistling. As he passes an old lady on a park bench, she reaches out with her 20-pound handbag and nails him. "Young man, stop whistling that FILTHY song!"

So, what are they whistling....?

Also agree with Corwin on the fact that major networks are willing to put gays on shows to make money and boost ratings. Still, being treated as a "token" has to get old after a while....
  #6   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
I wonder if they're using homosexuality as an excuse to avoid an ad promoting Christianity, especially since the UCC seems to remember what Christianity is supposed to stand for: God's Love.
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:54 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
God is Love.

This really gets me, as the UCC is the church that married Rob & I. I'll definitely contribute to this campaign on Saturday (Friday is pay-day), and then a little extra in the plate on Sunday...
  #8   Add to TheMasu's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:41 AM

TheMasu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMasu Send a message via Yahoo to TheMasu Send a message via Skype™ to TheMasu
It often blows my mind that gay folks and their straight friends just don't see the oppression imposed by networks like NBC and Bravo that portray the homosexual lifestyle as trendy, vapid, and selfish. I suppose it is an amazing stride that gay folks can even be portrayed on TV as a protagonist, but I, personally, am disgusted that the public is willing to let gay people entertain them with cutesy fassion and pseudo-witty quips, but turns a blind eye when it comes to saying yes to rights like marriage, adoption, hospital visitation, or job security. It's tough to admit, but straight people are the muscle behind the gay rights movement. There's more of them, and they need to become more engaged in this.

As to the commercial, I think it goes much farther than a controversey surrounding an amendment to the Constitution. I think the major players are scared to air a message of love. The last thing anyone trying to make money off of the worst qualities of human behavior (Survivor, Fear Factor, Who Wants too Marry an Emu?) wants is for people to open their minds and their hearts. What would happen if we spent more time being truely present to eachother and stopped devouring everything our consumerist culture offers us? Think about it.
  #9   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:19 AM

ethernet_jock
I think I figured it out...

This is an advertisement for a Church... it's a religious advertisement. It's about openness, love, and Jesus Christ.

So what happened you say?

Here's what I think REALLY just happened here. I think maybe some very powerful Athiest groups got together and said... I know... let's turn this into a gay issue! That way we can get anything religious tossed out of the media as a gay issue! yeah! They can make a big up-roar as if it's a gay rights problem and then it'll just go away eventually because those fags never get their way anyway and nobody has to know it was actually an athiest opposition to religion. Because, after all, what makes Christians join together and get serious more than someone who tells them that God doesn't exist? What divides Christians more and kills inter-church grouping than the issue of homosexuality?

We've just been duped - all of us.
  #10   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:00 AM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
perspective

there has been a trend;over quite a few years;to portray religion as inherently backward,reactionary.there IS a liberal church in america!it led the fight for black civil rights&against the war in Vietnam.it has since been largely ignored by the media.like the hippies;the fascisti christi are portrayed as having power far in excess of their real numbers.gays&their straight friends just have to keep up the fight.
  #11   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock

What divides Christians more and kills inter-church grouping than the issue of homosexuality?
Great point!
  #12   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
there has been a trend;over quite a few years;to portray religion as inherently backward,reactionary.there IS a liberal church in america!it led the fight for black civil rights&against the war in Vietnam.it has since been largely ignored by the media.like the hippies;the fascisti christi are portrayed as having power far in excess of their real numbers.gays&their straight friends just have to keep up the fight.
This is why the UCC decided to advertise in the first place. ucc press release
and
turned down
and finally
more on turned down

#13   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
You know, I actually saw the commercial on TV a little while back.
It really impressed me that someone had actually thought about worshiping god and remembering that peace and treating each other as we would like to be treated is supposed to be the root of it all.
  #14   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
Muscle Czar

actor speaks

The Advocate has an interview with one of the actors on the controversial commercial. Thought it might interest some, give the discussion here.

#15   Add to Gastrocnemius's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Gastrocnemius is on a distinguished road
Question

Powerful athiest groups? Is there such a thing? If I recall correctly, I've seen broadcast mormon advertisements years ago (maybe still), so I doubt it's a "stop religion" force at work here.

Any organization (religion included) that focuses on love (oneself and others), acceptance, and not judging is a "good thing" as far as I'm concerned. The problem comes in when people start using the bible to divide. Jesus's message was one of love, peace, and acceptance.

I think I'm done pontificating now

-Gastroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock

This is an advertisement for a Church... it's a religious advertisement. It's about openness, love, and Jesus Christ.

So what happened you say?

Here's what I think REALLY just happened here. I think maybe some very powerful Athiest groups got together and said... I know... let's turn this into a gay issue! That way we can get anything religious tossed out of the media as a gay issue! yeah! They can make a big up-roar as if it's a gay rights problem and then it'll just go away eventually because those fags never get their way anyway and nobody has to know it was actually an athiest opposition to religion. Because, after all, what makes Christians join together and get serious more than someone who tells them that God doesn't exist? What divides Christians more and kills inter-church grouping than the issue of homosexuality?

We've just been duped - all of us.
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Um, Gastrocnemius, I think that EJ was using sarcasm...

Scott, thank you for all the great links. I wanted to go back to a UCC church after all this, but I have to work today.
  #17   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM

ethernet_jock
Both of you would be surprised.

There's more athiests out there pulling strings than you ever imagined possible. Trust me - having grown up in an athiest family - they're very very clever about what they do and how they go about it.

I was over-exaggerating about the "powerful groups" part... but there was definitely some intention of manipulation there.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options