The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:36 AM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
Fun with legs

Hey guys,

I know I haven't been very present on the board here lately, due in part to my new job -- but I thought I'd take a moment to make a report on some leg training I"ve been doing lately.

A BBer friend of mine made an interesting suggestions re: squats a while ago. He suggested that I try what he called "Continuous squats": i.e. squats where you move continuously through your range of motion, taking never to even pause and rest for a second at the top of the rep. I have to go pretty light -- about 50% of my regular working weight -- but 12-20 reps of those continuous-motion squats have been KICKING MY ASS. Wow. It's great.

And they must be doing good work for me too, 'cause I hopped on the leg press machine last night without doing my squats first -- I felt like a change -- and I was able to pump out a couple of sets at 700+ far more easily than I ever have in the past. So I thought I'd recommend them.

The other thing I've been doing lately is a variation on the lying leg curls for hamstrings. I've been working a bit lighter than my regular weight, and bringing the weight up with both legs, but then dropping one leg back for the negative, so that in effect I wind up doing alternate-single-leg-negatives. I do the positive with both legs, then do a negative with my left-leg-only. Positive with both, negative with right-leg-only, and continue like that. If you really concentrate, you will completely blast your hamstring. Feels GREAT.

Anyways, that's my report on legs. Let's all get to 30" soon!

-- James

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:34 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
the evil Leg-Press

James, Thank you for those great exercise ideas. Both of them sound great, and I will try them both out soon. (For those newer members, MassingUp/James has a great body, but his legs are amazing!) One note of caution however, Rob's brother (Rob is my husband) is a Physical Therapist, and he sees a LOT of guys that blow out their backs on the Leg Press. Be very careful when you use that machine!
  #3   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:21 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Holy 100-year Oak Tree Trunk Thighs Batman!!

THanks for the tips James!! Some day when I'm able to leg press over 500 or 600 I'll have to think about trying new things like that to keep adding more difficulty.

hehe... right on.
  #4   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Legs!

Thanks for the tips James! I've been doing a lot of regular and front squats recently (two months or so) going deep and using a lot lighter weight. Man, the blood just rushes to the quads and fills them out. I'm going to try as you suggest and not stop at the top.

Also, for hamstrings, that is an excellent idea as well. I've been doing one-legged hamstring curls and it really helps when I squeeze em at the top. Also, been doing a ton of stiff-legged deadlifts both with barbells and dumbbells. I can attest that they have really helped my butt and hamstring tie-ins.

I'm often amazed at how many people neglect their legs...just ashame. I have a whole collection of Leg Shots of bodybuilders if anyone needs/wants motivation for their leg training just let me know. I love sharing the photos as it also motivates me.

Again, thanks for the tips and the motivation!
Dave Sanchez
DallasMuscle.

Last edited by dallasmsl; June 14th, 2005 at 05:30 AM.
  #5   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Agreed with Brent's caution about the leg press. The reason is, I think, is because that is usually the one exercise that people can lift the most doing -- so it, like the bench press, becomes a test of manhood (or womanhood, as case may be), and people lift far more than they should with abysmal form.

Related to that, the legs are, in my opinion, the easiest body part on which to put much weight and get very little accomplished -- because they tie in to such a significant portion of the body's mass, you can cheat like mad. Leg day for me is short, sweet, and intense -- COMPLETE concentration throughout, always making sure you can feel the leg muscles (and nothing else) moving and doing the work.

Sure, it means you lift less.....but I assure any doubters, actually feeling and commanding the muscle, as Dallasmsl talks about, has enormous effect.

Oh, speaking of which, Dallas, you just nailed my pet peeve.....guys that are all chest and no legs.
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM

According to my trainer, the quads can take high reps at a low weight. Just fill them up with blood & make them explode! However, before you do heavy squats, do you lady's exercises (hip adductors & hip abductors) to get that area warmed up. Also, use a strict bodybuilding stance (feet at shoulder width) to work the quads, a wide powerlifter stance works the glutes, which get enough work already.
  #7   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
old question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
James, Thank you for those great exercise ideas. Both of them sound great, and I will try them both out soon. (For those newer members, MassingUp/James has a great body, but his legs are amazing!) One note of caution however, Rob's brother (Rob is my husband) is a Physical Therapist, and he sees a LOT of guys that blow out their backs on the Leg Press. Be very careful when you use that machine!
Hey Brent, did Rob's brother say exactly how guys backs get blown out on the leg press?
I always thought the only thing to worry about was the knees.
The leg press machines that I have used were the incline sled type and the back had no place to go.

Last edited by ottomun6; June 14th, 2005 at 08:23 PM.
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:47 PM

I honestly don't remember, but I don't want to find out...

I think it has to do with bad form, and weights that are too high for the lifter.
  #9   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Another GREAT Leg Training Day!

Hi guys,
Just back from the gym and had another GREAT leg training day. Actually it was just quads but man-o-man was it good. Today, I went heavy. When I go "heavy" I don't go down all the way as when I'm going light. I go heavy to push my muscles to get used to being pulled in to move heavy weight. I keep my back upright, for sure, but depth is not the issue (for me at least).

For about 45 minutes, I train just squats pyramiding the weights until I reach what I think my quads can bare and then pyramid back down to about 185. After that, I use an exaggerated wide stance to get my glutes tied in (tell me there isn't a man that doesn't like a good muscle butt and I'll show you a...well, never mind).

On days when I go light, which will probably be in two days, I'll use a lot lighter weight and go very deep on each set. I'll pyramid again but not with nearly the amount of weight.

I have to say this, on both days, my quads get flush with blood so I know it's a good thing.

I was born with naturally/genetically skinny legs but to look at my quads now, you'd never know it. I have a nephew who is in his mid-20's and when I see him in the gym and look at his legs, it reminds me of how far I have taken my own.

Dave.
  #10   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Dave, it sounds like you have discovered a routine that really works for you. I used to mostly do low reps at heavy weights, but my trainer has made me switch to lighter weights & higher reps, and boy do I feel it! I think my legs might explode with size! (praying)
  #11   Add to CDNmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM

CDNmuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CDNmuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CDNmuscle
Ouch .. Dang Lower Back

Imo:Usually backs are injured on this exercise on the decline movement.
As the weight comes down people allow the lower back to come off the padding.

Solution to that is working the range of motion keeping the lower back flat.
As you work your legs you will slowly increase the range.

I'm not a huge fan of the leg press anyway, I just use it to kill the hammies.
  #12   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
IN defense of the leg press

Much safer, form wise, for more people to use than squats.

Granted, squats can be more productive, but you can really f up your back if you do squats wrong! Also, not everyone can put weight on their spine--the compression can get pretty intense!

Form on leg press (as on everything) is crucial! Done right, they're almost as good as squats for working legs, esp. if your back can't do squats!

Mdlftr.
  #13   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Tight Jeans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Dave, it sounds like you have discovered a routine that really works for you. I used to mostly do low reps at heavy weights, but my trainer has made me switch to lighter weights & higher reps, and boy do I feel it! I think my legs might explode with size! (praying)
Thanks Brent and others,
All I know is today, my jeans are fitting nice and TIGHT in the quads. Of course, my legs are sore but in a good way...a way that tells me they are growing.

As for people who "can't" squat, I've never met one person who "can't". I've met a TON of people who WON'T squat and come up with every excuse under the sun not to.

Squatting doesn't mean loading a bar with 245 pounds. It means squatting, even with no weight! Simply squatting down is considered a squat. If you think you can't, try squatting with NO weight.

Honestly, I think the leg press is more dangerous because you can really load that muther up. Of course, if you do squats with stupid form and far too much weight, you're going to get hurt....but that's why I don't drink and drive either.

Anyway, off my soapbox.
  #14   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM

I completely agree with Dallasmsl. Any squat (using correct form) is good. And that even ones done with no weight are good. I like to do sissy squats between sets of squats because 1. I am a sissy, 2. they go really deep, and 3. with no weight, you can do a ton of those mother-fuckers, and fill the legs up with blood!

As for the leg press, my trainer has me doing them, but high volume, so I only have 1 or 2 plates on each side. The key to doing them safely, is (like with all exercises) KEEP YOU BACK FLAT!!! Focus on your form, and getting 20 reps per set, not how huge of a weight you can manage to push.

That's my 2?.
  #15   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:15 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
I think the Squat is the exercise that fills most people with fear. It certainly does with me. I've spent years staring at free squat racks and thinking "one day" I will really get into doing squats without using a smith machine. I do squats on the smith machine regularly and feel alot safer. Occasionally I have tried free squats but feel very uncertain. I therefore play very safe on weights and that in some ways is self defeating. Where I have tried heavier weights I get quite nervy when any wobble sets in.

Do any of you do free squats and if so do u have any techniques or tips to overcome the fear especially if you are working out alone?
  #16   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
UK, I think you'll find it not so bad once you start doing them regularly. Use a weight you are comfortable with doing at high reps. Then you can work on your form without so much worring about if you can handle the weight. I use a wide powerlifter stance which really gives me a lot more stability and for me tends to be easier on my knees plus works the glutes which for me needs a lot of work.

You'll also notice that the bar is about 20lbs heavier than on a smith so take that into account when you switch. Spend your first few leg sessions working on the form and inching up the weight.
  #17   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
hey... I do "sissy squats" (read: 100lbs)... it's still pretty difficult to keep good form and go slowly. To me - that's enough of a squat and it's better than nothing.

#18   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeefy
Do any of you do free squats and if so do u have any techniques or tips to overcome the fear especially if you are working out alone?
The squat rack has bars to catch you if you falter. If you are still scared, use the power rack instead. put the bars at waist height, and just fall backwards if you find yourself going down, when you mean to go up (it has happened to me a couple times...)
  #19   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:08 AM

What is a power rack? I am sure I have seen them but need a prompt to recognise them (and see if my gym has them)
  #20   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I'm not saying I have never really done full on squats just I find them intimidating. I feel I should be able to squat a fair bit and I think that is part of my problem - I think doing squats with good form with 20-30kg a side on (ie 50-75lbs a side is just not enough yet if I try say 40kg it is when the wobble sets in. I wonder if I am comparing myself with too many serious legs types who have multiple plates either side...
  #21   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:38 AM

It's hard to explain the 2 rack types, but a power rack is fully adjustable where the bars to catch you are, and you adjust where the hooks that hold the barbaell up. A squat rack has about a dozen set hooks that you can set the weight into, and a set pair of bars for catching you. Power racks take a minute or two to set up, squat racks you just put your weight on and go.
  #22   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Brent, maybe a picture or two will help.

The first one is power rack. Those two horizontal bars are adjustable. You place them where you will be your lowest for squating. So it allows a great range of motion incase you want to really go low. In both cases, as Brent indicated, if you find you get down and can't get back up, then you just toss the bar behind you.
  #23   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Thank you muscle_mastah, that's what I tried to explain, but not as effectively.
  #24   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Some controversy about this....

...but I still like to use a heel lift when I do VERY deep squats.A 45lb.plate works for me(if you want a wider stance,try 2)KEEP YOUR WEIGHT OVER YOUR HEEL!not on the ball of your foot,even at the bottom of the lift.As we've said before,guys with long limbs have different issues&should train accordingly.
  #25   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
My Hero!!

Thanks Mdlftr, I was beginning to think the entire world of leg press had changed. I always wanted massive quads. I have been guilty of working my way up to 1200+lbs back in the late 80's. Never had a problem because I planted my butt and hips squarely against the backrest.
I tended to also squat heavy, but I screwed up by starting to slip and did a quick jerk to correct as I ascended. This introduced me to the world of a pinched cyatic(sp?) nerve. I have recovered, but I am not using monster weights anymore.
Form is unbelievably important for any weight. Now I use a leg press for the safety factor, but I squeeze in a few light squats once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
Much safer, form wise, for more people to use than squats.

Granted, squats can be more productive, but you can really f up your back if you do squats wrong! Also, not everyone can put weight on their spine--the compression can get pretty intense!

Form on leg press (as on everything) is crucial! Done right, they're almost as good as squats for working legs, esp. if your back can't do squats!

Mdlftr.
  #26   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:47 AM

Foot Positioning...

I haven't used a plate under my heels in a long time. There are many theories on this on the efficacy of it. I say what the hell, it's a good variation. I'm going to start back on it when I do legs again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options