Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to pacificwar's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM

pacificwar is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Changing in the Men's Locker Room

I belong to a very large YMCA, that also happens to be in an affluent area.
Within the men's locker room there is also a "boy's" locker room, which I still don't understand, but I assume it is because they had the space and money to build it.
But what I don't understand are the modesty issues of some men.
I mean "aren't you supposed to get changed/undressed in the men's locker room"?
Isn't nudity the norm?
I think this is more towards the younger males.
I mean what do they think will happen to them inside the men's locker room?
Then there are the mature males that just let it all hang out, so I think there are 2 extremes working against each other here.

I was wondering if anyone else has these "experiences" in their locker rooms?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
Well my experience is the most guys don't go out of their way to display themselves to the other guys and it is considered "rude" to openly look at the other guys or draw attention to yourself when you are naked. That was the norm in Jr High and High School PE classes, Changing in college locker rooms and Dorms bathrooms, and all the gym locker rooms I've encountered...

I image that team locker rooms would be a bit more open and "chummy" with your team mates... I was never into team sports so I can't really say.

In the US anyways most guys are scared to death of doing anything that might possibly cause other guys the question if they might be gay. Having straight guys suspect that you may be gay can damage a guys social standing amoung most male populations...

Ender
  #3   Add to pacificwar's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:20 AM

pacificwar is on a distinguished road
There is a gym near me that was built only a year or so ago, and in the men's lockeroom room are 2 separate changing rooms, that you can actually lock.
When I was given a tour of this new gym, this was a selling feature.

Blatant "cruising" can make any guy, whether they are gay, str8 or bi, uncomfortable and I have yet to see that in the men's locker room, but I am sure it happens.
I mean it doesn't take but a few seconds to put on your briefs.
But I have seen guys trying to put their underwear on under their towels, or wait until they are alone or even go into the bathroom stalls to change.

Actually, the most nudity I have seen is when guys are going to the scale to weigh themselves and in the men's sauna.

I swim, so I wear my swim jammers while in the sauna, only because the wood can become really hot or I lay a towel down.
  #4   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I spent my whole life trying to get over my body modesty issues. Finally, when I was about 40, I went camping at the Radical Faerie sanctuary in Middle Tennessee where, among other things, nudity is the norm AND they don't have indoor plumbing.

As far as I can tell, that's just about the time (late 90s) the male population of America turned into nervous nellies. No more gang showers, everyone very careful to cover up in the locker room. Frankly, I feel robbed! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #5   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
Hey RPJ, perhaps that era of covering up was a side effect of the the whole cultural change when men seemed to finally acknowledge their own vanity for lack of a better word and were perhaps more in touch with their physical flaws; perceived or otherwise. Just a though, Peace!
  #6   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
modesty and comfort levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwar View Post
Blatant "cruising" can make any guy, whether they are gay, str8 or bi, uncomfortable and I have yet to see that in the men's locker room, but I am sure it happens.

Before my gym put in separate shower partitions with curtains, I was the unfortunate recipient of some troll's gawking in the shower. I was in a hurry to get cleaned up after an early morning workout and head to work. This jerk planted himself at the head of the room where everyone had to pass him by to get into the showers. He then stood there, openly gawking and smirking at people. I shot him a few dirty looks, but he didn't stop with the staring.

That's the kind of behavior that repulses people. I don't give a crap who you want to sleep with. Keep it to yourself and leave other people alone. That's why people want privacy, and that's why people object to hearing about "I have a right to my sexual orientation" ad nauseum. Keep it to yourself --no one wants to hear about it!
  #7   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
...snip... This jerk planted himself at the head of the room where everyone had to pass him by to get into the showers. He then stood there, openly gawking and smirking at people. ...snip...
Hmmm... That sounds a whole lot like several gym teachers I had through the years...
  #8   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Interesting topic...

Well, I used to think that everyone was just getting too uptight about the whole locker room situation. There was a time when if you were in a locker room it really wasn't that big of a deal getting undressed and then dressed, promptly with no incident or shame or guilt. I don't mean that everyone walked around with their business swinging around for everyone to see, but it simply was not a big deal (no pun intended).

Today, however, I do feel that there is the great fear among a lot of guys that they either feel that the moment they expose themselves that they will be accosted or grabbed by the dangler, or they fear that maybe they will catch a glance at some guy's privates and someone will notice THEM looking and BAM, be branded as gay.....and there is always the fear of their own sexuality. It could be a number or variation on those points.

Before I used to think "so what?" Just move on and go about with your day and don't worry about it! Jeez.... However, I definitely do see and understand the other side of this argument of wanting that privacy. For instance, I talked with a friend of mine the other day and he told me that he saw a guy taking pictures of him in the locker room as he was shaving. I sked him if the the guy was being blatantly obvious about his picture taking and he told me no, he was trying to make it look as if he was talking on the phone. I told him that the next time it happens I would definitely call him on it.....don't make a huge production out of it, but simply tell him that he knows what he is doing, it's a no no and knock it off.

So I can see why there are guys that do have a problem with being in a locker room. And I must be honest I go to the locker room I rarely go in there..I just weigh myself on occasion and then I am out of there. Fortunately I live close by so my own shower is a hop, skip and a jump away...

Ron III---III
  #9   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM

My gym has a "No Cell Phones in the Locker Room" policy. I couldn't imagine why, at first, until Naoyuki reminded me that these days phones are also cameras! Intellectually, I know that's the case but it's still something I have to wrap my mind around from time to time!

xoxo

Richard

who grew up with rotary dial (HemLock 5-4115!)
  #10   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
I would always come to the gym in my regular workout clothes and leave without showering. Who needs a locker room then?!
  #11   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM

@ Mad Dog:

Aieeeeee!!

Learn to LOVE your body! It's OK for other men to look at it!

We all have one, we all (straight or gay, old or young) check each other out, get over it!

xoxo

Richard

sharing the good nooz about noodity!
  #12   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Hmmm... That sounds a whole lot like several gym teachers I had through the years...
hehehe, I heard the same thing from female classmates when I was in highschool......and yes, there was atleast one confirmed Lesbian gym coach on staff.
  #13   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
@ Mad Dog:

Aieeeeee!!

Learn to LOVE your body! It's OK for other men to look at it!

We all have one, we all (straight or gay, old or young) check each other out, get over it!

xoxo

Richard

sharing the good nooz about noodity!
Why arrive in clothes you aren't going to use? And what am I planning to do right after working out that needs me smelling like a daisy?
  #14   Report Post  
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
TeenMuscleGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlerfan View Post
Hey RPJ, perhaps that era of covering up was a side effect of the the whole cultural change when men seemed to finally acknowledge their own vanity for lack of a better word and were perhaps more in touch with their physical flaws; perceived or otherwise. Just a though, Peace!
Yea I have to agree. And Honestly the whole Nudity in the locker room thing is gone for P.E in high school.

They don't really do that anymore
  #15   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
My training partner and I are temporarily lifting at a different Gold's than our usual haunt. This location is in the Gay Ghetto (or what is left of the Ghetto). I swear to you that the locker room feels like a bathhouse. The lockers are lined up along one side of a corridor--everyone must brush by you as you change or deposit your bag in your locker. The floor is bare concrete. And it is so damned dark that I can't read the numbers on my combo lock. Seriously, it takes me two or three tries before I can unlock it.

Frankly, I don't want to undress there or see others undressing. Again, the vibe is BATHHOUSE.

I can't wait until we're back to our usual Gold's.
  #16   Add to growingboyslc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM

growingboyslc is on a distinguished road
I tend to be fine in my lockeroom... it's the showers and steam room that get creepy. The other day I had to tell this guy that if he touched me again I was going to knock him out.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options