The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
My turn

I've posted before about the company I work for and the product we make. Recently, I've been working on our fitness product/website. Our first prototype dealt only with weight loss, but the new system now has lean muscle gain as an option.

Without being too boring or technical, our wearable computer measures energy expenditure. When you externally measure weight and bodyfat, and track those changes over time, you can figure out how many calories someone is eating. Our system allows users to manage their daily caloric intake and energy expenditure to achieve their goal (e.g. lose weight or gain muscle).

I started using the system yesterday. I've set a goal of gaining about 20lbs of lean body mass by March 3 (my birthday) and losing about 2% of body fat (it's winter, so I'm up to about 10 or 12% bf).

The program that the system has put me on has me eating 4100 calories per day, and buring 3540 calories. More simply, I'm suppose to work out hard and eat 540 calories more than I burn. According to the goals, if I follow the program, I should gain about 1.8lbs per week to reach my goal of 182 lbs by March.

We shall see...

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
sounds feasable if you really stick to it like a MAINIAC and have no injuries, sickness, or un-planned trips out of town....

LOL.... no seriously... you can do it!

I want before/after pictures tho, c'mon.
  #3   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:55 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Hmm, interesting little gadget you have there. The one thing I have to ask, what's is margin of error. I'm just thinking that different materials metabolize differently in everyone and I would assume that it's going to be off on some calculations and if so, what's the tolerance? <GEEK_MODE=OFF>

Yes, pics! Please, sir If nothing else it would be great product advertisement...

Scott
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Have you given the armband a cool name yet, like Hal? Seriously, I hope you reach you goal. Interesting product, I'm very curious how it turns out.
  #5   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Muscle Czar

hmmm... maybe I should pay more attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Hmm, interesting little gadget you have there. The one thing I have to ask, what's is margin of error.
In a recently published study (actually, I think it was an abstract) from the University of Montreal that tested our device in a free-living environment (not a lab, I have those results too) using doubly labeled water (DLW)(*), they found a high correlation between subjects, no significant difference beween the armband and DLW for physical activity and a small difference for all of free living (p < 0.01). They also found that the armband seemed to measure the thermic effect of food. The also found no significant difference between DLW and the armband in a small sample of Type II Diabetics.

(*) DLW is heavy water and is considered the 'gold standard' to measure caloric burn.

Does that answer that question. Sorry for the delay but (see next post)

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #6   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Have you given the armband a cool name yet, like Hal?
APEX Fitness calls it the "BodyBug". I'm sure my confidentiality agreement kicks in at this point so I can't comment on what I think of that name.

#7   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Muscle Czar

progress

OK, here's an update. First, I got the flu. While the hallucinations associated with the 102+ temperature were cool (ok, they were more like cognitive echos centered around episodes of Smallville), the entire experience through me off my goals. Also, I kinda found a bug in the goal setting code that changed some of what was going on. That's what I get for using pre-release software that's still being tested.

Anyway, back on track. My strength is going up and my workouts are more intense.

If you visit my company website, you can see that we have a publication about getting heart rate on the upper arm (it's actually EKG, which cardiologists had said was impossible until us -- and we have the patents on it ). Anyway, one of the people working on this project just stopped by to measure my arm because "heart rate works really good on you". I'm a wimp and he is by no means a musclehead, but when he measured my arm he did say "wow", and as he measured my (geeky) cow-orkers, he kept telling me that I was the winner. I still have skinny arms, but it was an ego boost. I also know that my arm workouts are doing something and I am GROWING, so....

Anyway, progress is being made slowly... and I promise to pay more attention to this thread.

#8   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Muscle Czar

So, I've broken 170 pounds. This makes me happy. What is somewhat disturbing is that my clothes don't fit anymore. My arms are getting too thick for the sleeves of my favorite shirt (my arms are STILL too wimpy though), and things are getting tight in the chest. It's great that I'm stronger than I've ever been, with many of my lifts at all time maxes, but I'm not the type of person who LIKES to go out shopping for new clothes. As I've posted before, my partner shops. I buy. I walk in, get what I want, then leave.

I've put on some fat, but I'm not worried about that. I'm about to buy (ok, shop for) a new bike (I do SHOP for bikes), and I'll start doing a totally unreasonable amount or miles per day, so all the fat will melt away. I'd like to get up a nice lean weight of 175, so I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there.

Oh, pictures. Ya, I'll do that sometime. Really.

#9   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
So, I've broken 170 pounds. This makes me happy. What is somewhat disturbing is that my clothes don't fit anymore. My arms are getting too thick for the sleeves of my favorite shirt (my arms are STILL too wimpy though), and things are getting tight in the chest.
[color=white]Congratulations on your new found size. I know what you mean about the shirt feeling, its great isn?t it! Putting on old shirts and for that matter, any shirts and finding that they are straining to hold you in. I?m beginning to experience this myself now, but not to the point where by I can?t get into them any more.[/color]
[color=#ffffff][/color]
[color=white]So now you?ll have to go buy some new shirts... I?m just the same when shopping, I rarely browse for anything, just go straight to what I want and get out as quickly as I came in.[/color]
[color=#ffffff][/color]
[color=#000000][color=white]Anyway, well done again, keep going and growing![/color][/color]
[color=#ffffff][/color]
[color=#ffffff]Marc[/color]
  #10   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
OH YEAH!

I can't tell you how happy I am for you, big guy. I know that this is something you've been working towards for a long time and it's great to see you growing finally. And I predict that it won't be too long 'til your initial goals of 180# seem "not that big" to you... And then you'll set your sights on 190#... or 200#...
*chuckle*

As for the strangeness of growth, it is true. It's something we all work so hard for, but at the same time change is always disruptive. I distinctly remember the day I realized that I couldn't wear my favourite, super-stylin' flat-front pants any more -- they were skin-tight in a BAD way. And while I was thrilled that my legs were finally getting BIG, I was also peeved to have lost a good pair of pants. *chuckle*

Anyways, I'm really excited for you Scott. And I'm looking forward to MORE GROWTH...

-- James

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #11   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by massingUP
OH YEAH!
ok. OH YEAH!
Quote:
I can't tell you how happy I am for you, big guy. I know that this is something you've been working towards for a long time and it's great to see you growing finally. And I predict that it won't be too long 'til your initial goals of 180# seem "not that big" to you... And then you'll set your sights on 190#... or 200#...
*chuckle*
it's the winter. Snow is on the ground. Birds are starving, falling from the sky for lack of seed and I CAN'T BIKE! I know some of it will go away when I get buff and ripped for summer, but I do have some new muscle and that is a good thing. Someday, I'll be 220lbs of ripped muscle, meeting mr. 270lbs who will overpower me and have his way and I'll say, "no no yes yes YES SIR!", but until then, I can fantasize and write stories but then, I am NOT A FLIRT! NO! NOT AT ALL!

Quote:
As for the strangeness of growth, it is true. It's something we all work so hard for, but at the same time change is always disruptive. I distinctly remember the day I realized that I couldn't wear my favourite, super-stylin' flat-front pants any more -- they were skin-tight in a BAD way. And while I was thrilled that my legs were finally getting BIG, I was also peeved to have lost a good pair of pants. *chuckle*
As if you've never had anyone say, "Those pants are too tight for you," and they are not talking about your muscles...

Quote:
Anyways, I'm really excited for you Scott. And I'm looking forward to MORE GROWTH...
230!

Scott

Last edited by Corwin; February 4th, 2005 at 06:20 PM.
  #12   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:17 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
Yeah man, don't tempt us and then not show pictures!

Update! Update!

G.
  #13   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Keep your old shirts to see how much you've grown later, but it does sound like you need to shop. Just go somewhere cheap, like Ross, and buy the next size up. You just need to look at color, and price (hopefully you'll have to replace it soon.)
  #14   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Keep your old shirts to see how much you've grown later, but it does sound like you need to shop. Just go somewhere cheap, like Ross, and buy the next size up. You just need to look at color, and price (hopefully you'll have to replace it soon.)
Dude -- Perry Ellis. He's the only clothes designer that UNDERSTANDS me :-)

#15   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Muscle Czar

It was fun to update my profile with new information. I had forgotten those old stats.

No wonder my shirts are getting tighter.

#16   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Dude -- you gotta leave the old stats up somewhere so we can enjoy the progress. Some dated stats pages are always good -- ie Jan 1: 14" arms. March 25: 15.5" arms. <g>

At any rate, congrats on the continuing growth... and keep it up!

- James

#17   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Dude -- you gotta leave the old stats up somewhere so we can enjoy the progress. Some dated stats pages are always good -- ie Jan 1: 14" arms. March 25: 15.5" arms. <g>

At any rate, congrats on the continuing growth... and keep it up!

- James
Reading 46 on the chest measurement was the hottest -- I like big pecs (and arms and legs and...)

#18   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:57 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Yup, definitely the hottest!
  #19   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Muscle Czar

just a bit of (sexual) bragging

I reached a goal today when I broke 250 on my bench press. 300 here I come :-)

I also engaged in a bit of narcisism in a mirror. For the first time I could do a Tom Lord, touching the head of my organ to the nipple on my pumped pec. Damn, that was hot.

Later in the day, I was doing some political stuff. One of the candidates came over to me and commented that I looked pretty beefy and asked if I had been working out. :-) Good thing he didn't know about the mirror escapade.

#20   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
250 is excellent, Corwin. Congrats.

And, brag as you know you can.
  #21   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Congratulations!

...on your bench press!Get to where you can push 275 pretty comfortably(more than 1 set)&315 is just around the corner!!The secret is;once you get that much weight down on your chest,you REALLY want to get it off!I've always thought that guys underestimated the power of FEAR in their workouts,&I finally saw an article in a muscle-mag about it!I decided that I should be able to press 315 some time ago.I got to where I could do 2 good,clean,unassisted reps.It made me very happy.And I never want to do that again.G.
  #22   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:51 AM

traveller
Congrats. I hope you hit 315 soon.

Traveller
  #23   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Thumbs up

Kick ASS Corwin! As I said above, I'm thrilled for you. And for myself too -- I'm using you as an inspiration these days, and I got a GREAT bicep workout tonight by thinking "If he can do 250, I can do this!!" <g>

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to 275... and then 315#

--- J.

#24   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Way to go, Corwin!

Congrats on hitting 250# !!

That's very inspirational! Massing Up isn't the only one that you inspire!

IT's great to see someone making significant, measurable and visual progress--cause you know you can do it too!

Mdlftr
  #25   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
I also engaged in a bit of narcisism in a mirror.
:-) Good thing he didn't know about the mirror escapade.
I'm not too sure about the Tom Lords bit, but I think it's good to encourage a little narcissism. I think flexing in the mirror is a good exercise, and it helps you get more "in touch" with your body.

Do you think the device you are testing is working well? You haven't talked about that in a while. Congrats, and I hope to see you at 315 soon!

Brent.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options