General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to chuckerz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
chuck money

chuckerz
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckerz
giving up things

well it's that time of year again where we give up something for lent, i myself am pulling a new sacrifice giving up cheese, ranch, and attempting to pull a "40 days and 40 nights" (aka no masturbation or sex) and if i make it, i'll have some strong willpower and possibly be a little healthier . . . wish me luck

Last edited by chuckerz; February 18th, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Giving it up for Lent

Good luck!

I, personally, am giving up "voting Republican" for Lent.

No, don't try to talk me out of it. I KNOW it's a tremendous sacrifice, but I'll be strong about it.

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I gave it up -- permanently -- more than 20 years ago.

xoxo

Richard
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
I gave it up -- permanently -- more than 20 years ago.

xoxo

Richard
...Boy, Lent is REALLY lasting a loongg time for you, isn't it?!?

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to anpuZA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Come up 2 the lab

Thanked 1,280 Times in 508 Posts
anpuZA will become famous soon enough
Wtf is lent?
  #6   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:06 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anpuZA View Post
Wtf is lent?
Catholic time of giving something up. 40 days to be exact. The most 'pious' thing is a complete fasting, but most people simply give up something that they enjoy or like for the time period.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #7   Add to chuckiebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM

chuckiebear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckerz View Post
well it's that time of year again where we give up something for lent, i myself am pulling a new sacrifice giving up cheese, ranch, and attempting to pull a "40 days and 40 nights" (aka no masturbation or sex) and if i make it, i'll have some strong willpower and possibly be a little healthier . . . wish me luck
Well, you may be healthier giving up some foods, but certainly NOT from giving up masturbation!
  #8   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
I gave up girls before I was even born!
  #9   Add to BGryphon18's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
Muscle Worshipper

BGryphon18 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BGryphon18 Send a message via MSN to BGryphon18 Send a message via Yahoo to BGryphon18
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
What is it with midwesterners and ranch dressing?

I've been on such a restricted diet since the beginning of the year I really can't think of anything to give up.

I suppose I could give up Diet Mt Dew but it's currently the only non-protein thing I eat and I'm not sure I could maintain sanity with the diet and without the sodas.
I was born Catholic, went to a Catholic grade school, attended Catholic after school classes and was eventually had the sacrament of Confirmation when I was in high school... after that, I pretty much renounced most of the religion for several reasons... most of all being that I was force-fed it for so long I was sick of it and had to get away.

Another reason was due to the fact that before I could be confirmed, I had to write a letter to the bishop basically asking permission to be confirmed. In said letter, which by the way ended up being over 3 pages long, I asked all the questions that had been building up over the years regarding various aspects of the Catholic faith. Some included why during Advent (the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas) that 3 of the candles you light are purple and one is pink... AND why that pink candle is lit during the 3rd week... why not the first or the last? Why the third? Another in regards to Lent (which is why I'm even posting) is why we are not allowed to have meat on Fridays and were suppose to give up something for that time. Needless to say these as well as all my other questions, could not be answered with a satisfactory answer aside from "It's tradition". I had asked every priest, pastor, nun, deacon, etc that I could and NO ONE including the bishop could give me an answer for it. Seeing as how there is only the Pope left after him, I decided that if no one could give me an answer that made sense, I was not going to follow said "rules".

Anyway, my MAIN point for this whole post is to relay the one decent answer I was able to get out of all my questions: Lent traditionally is to give up something you enjoy as a form of fasting in preparation for Christ's resurrection. HOWEVER it is also a time for you to do something positive as an ADDITION to your life rather than simply giving up something. Think of it as a mini New Years resolution where you can start and continue something for those 40 days that would improve your life, or those around you that you could then continue to do after Easter.

That's one of the things I keep doing regarding my Catholic "faith" as it proves to be a positive rather than the normal "Oh crap, I have to give something up for 40 days" that most people think of. So instead of giving something up, do something new and positive that can reflect your faith and volunteer, or just help out your neighbor with something during this time.
  #10   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
I asked similar difficult questions when I was in my 20s but I could never get an answer I could understand from anyone. They all said they weren't biblical scholars or theologians so they couldn't explain why and that I was just supposed to accept the tradition of the church. I finally decided that I go to mass to get closer to God and praise him not to do all the rituals. I still go to mass and I still don't understand everything but I am usually okay with that unless I am really down. I have decided to give up muscle role play for Lent as it is the most common reason I get aroused lately. I plan to donate some money to World Vision as well. So you gotta hold me to these decisions and keep praying for me as I pray for you. God is always good; people are the ones who screw up! Peace!
  #11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlerfan View Post
I asked similar difficult questions when I was in my 20s but I could never get an answer I could understand from anyone. They all said they weren't biblical scholars or theologians so they couldn't explain why and that I was just supposed to accept the tradition of the church. I finally decided that I go to mass to get closer to God and praise him not to do all the rituals. I still go to mass and I still don't understand everything but I am usually okay with that unless I am really down. I have decided to give up muscle role play for Lent as it is the most common reason I get aroused lately. I plan to donate some money to World Vision as well. So you gotta hold me to these decisions and keep praying for me as I pray for you. God is always good; people are the ones who screw up! Peace!
These are all good points.

I was raised Catholic, and still practice. The single most profound thing I ever heard was my father, who has always gone to church, and who takes the "0ld school" line of "how many minutes late can you be to Mass and 'still have it count***'" , was when he said that "we all essentially make our own faith. We decide what we're going to believe and we come to terms with it.

I personally believe that there is something better beyond this life. I also believe that no one is "automatically excluded" from salvation and I also believe that there are many ways to get there. I'm not going to tell two of my oldest and best friends, for instance, who came out as gay in their 40s, and who are Catholic as well, that they are not going to heaven. They may very well get there before/instead of me. I personally think that people should concentrate on their own lives and not spend time telling other people what to believe. You're not going to change anyone's mind, and you make a more persuasive example by living your faith, rather than talking about it. That's my opinion.

[***Catholics will know what I'm talking about. Comedian George Carlan has a hilarious riff on it in one of his comedy albums. A class full of grade school boys is asking "Father" about keeping their Sunday obligation. (The concept is that Catholics go to church every Sunday, except in cases of illness or emergency or something really drastic. Anyway....) The question goes something like this:
"FAtha, whut if it's Easter Sunday, and you're at sea on board a ship, and you're crossing the international date line going from west to east and you get communion at one minute past midnight. Have you fulfilled your Sunday obligation?" [Because in crossing the international date line you move to the next day. The question is, on what day did you actually receive Communion? Anyway....]

mdlftr
  #12   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM

hulkoutlvr is on a distinguished road
Sacrifice

I'm Presbyterian, and I observe Lent. This year I decided on a radical sacrifice, so for the next 40 days and nights (beginning last Wednesday) I'm doing without alcohol, fried foods, sugar, and cursing. I am currently compiling a list of people who will be the victims of my Texas Chainsaw revenge once the season of Lent has passed.
  #13   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGryphon18 View Post
[snip]
Another reason was due to the fact that before I could be confirmed, I had to write a letter to the bishop basically asking permission to be confirmed. In said letter, which by the way ended up being over 3 pages long, I asked all the questions that had been building up over the years regarding various aspects of the Catholic faith. Some included why during Advent (the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas) that 3 of the candles you light are purple and one is pink... AND why that pink candle is lit during the 3rd week... why not the first or the last? Why the third? Another in regards to Lent (which is why I'm even posting) is why we are not allowed to have meat on Fridays and were suppose to give up something for that time. [snap]
Wait ... a CATHOLIC BISHOP couldn't explain the advent colors?!
Dude, I'm episcopalian and I know that one. I looked up to confirm, but here's the basis: the third Sunday of Advent is the "midpoint" - over halfway to Christmas. Pink is in honor of Mary and in the anglo-catholic tradition it's called "Gaudete Sunday" or "Sunday For Rejoicing" ... Advent is when the priests wear purple vestments, and on that Sunday they either wear rose-pink or red, or add it to the purple if they don't have a complete set of pink.
So yeah, it's tradition, but it's the tradition of honoring Mary on that particular day. Independent of the OTHER tradition of honoring Mary with a white candle that's burned only during Advent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGryphon18 View Post
[snip]
That's one of the things I keep doing regarding my Catholic "faith" as it proves to be a positive rather than the normal "Oh crap, I have to give something up for 40 days" that most people think of. So instead of giving something up, do something new and positive that can reflect your faith and volunteer, or just help out your neighbor with something during this time.[snap]
I personally liked that idea - that one should use Lent to start good habits, preferably in some sort of way that helps other people.
  #14   Add to Ptothe5th's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Ptothe5th is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=BGryphon18;122157] Another in regards to Lent (which is why I'm even posting) is why we are not allowed to have meat on Fridays and were suppose to give up something for that time.

The reason to not eat meat on Fridays and fish instead was a tradition that was started in the early church. The local fisherman were having a hard time making a living and providing for their families. So the church decided to help the fisherman by requiring people to eat fish on Fridays during Lent. As the tradition is cared out through the years, it now takes on a whole new meaning. Many people don't eat alot of fish and fish is good for you. Also by not eating meat on Fridays, you are likely to eat more fruits and vegetables, another healthy choice. So, what originally started out to help people make a living has evolved into a good eating health issue which also applies to the fasting.

Lent is meant for the individual to do something that will allow them to grow and be a better person at the end of the process. Giving up something that we are addicted to or that consumes our thought, needs etc. is a positive step toward balance. Doing something extra, is a positive step in personal growth. Example: A friend had a hard time finding things and he was always losing items that people let him borrow. His lenten observation was to unclutter his life. Clean up his car, house, etc. Get organized! I myself try to be more positive, uplifting, cheerful, and polite. I hope this answers some of those questions.

Last edited by Ptothe5th; February 28th, 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Didn't add answer
  #15   Add to gogr2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Location: Home: California Coast; Currently Stationed: Ft Hood, TX
gogr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gogr2 Send a message via Yahoo to gogr2 Send a message via Skype™ to gogr2
Wow... lots of catholics on this site... I thought Drew and I would be the only ones. I stopped giving up stuff for Lent back in Catholic High School. Our Priest/Principal challenged to "give up of ourselves and our time"... aka do something positive instead of deprive yourself of something that is cheap and mostly meaningless. I tend to ramp up my almsgiving and volunteering during Lent and even into the 50 days of Easter and beyond...

As for having a priest and a bishop that could not give you answers to your simple questions, that totally sucks. I had some amazing priests and bishops growing up that would answer all questions with more than the "its tradition" line. I guess though that back when we were young (80s and 90s) priests were still switching from the pre-vatican II mentality where no one ever questioned the faith. So they were often caught off guard and probably didn't know the answers fully. Now a days we have the handy dandy "Cathechism of the Catholic Faith" which is pretty much a book of answers. Pope JP2 did a a lot to clarify the faith... just takes a while to trickle down from him to the general populace.

FOr those of us that still practice... get ready for the biggest shake-up in the church since Vatican II over the next few years... the revision of the Roman Missal is complete and ready to roll out. Mass as we know it got re-translated and tweaked. "the lord be with you... and also with your spirit". Yeah, its going to piss off alot of old ladies.

Alright... getting off my soap box...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options